Menu

What other East Coast conservative Christian colleges are there for nursing other than Liberty and Cedarville?

Messiah is a "Christian college", but it has changed a lot over the years. I would not consider it a conservative Christian college. We were disappointed to find out about the lack of solid Biblical teaching in their Bible classes and chapel services. Some of the things they teach is questionable. If you go in knowing that you may be ok. It is a pretty good school academically and I have heard good things about their nursing program. It is also very expensive.

Be sure to stay away from EMU in Virginia. They are a very liberal (everybody's ok) college. We were looking at it, thinking it was a conservative Mennonite school. We found out otherwise, and we were horrified that they are completely ok with some alternative life choices our family teaches as Biblically wrong.

It has been very hard trying to find a good solid Christian college. I will be interested in the posts on this thread, since we are looking too. :001_smile:

You might also check into Gardner Webb University in Boiling Springs, ,NC  http://gardner-webb.edu/academic-programs-and-resources/colleges-and-schools/health-sciences/schools-and-departments/hunt-school-of-nursing/index

or Campbell University in Buies Creek, NC  http://ww2.campbell.edu/cphs/academic-programs/bs-nursing

and Wingate University in Wingate, NC https://www.wingate.edu/majors-programs/nursing/

Of the three, I would probably rate Gardner Webb as the most conservative, and includes required chapel attendance.

Grove City College isn't exactly on the east coast but not too far away either.  It's located about an hour north or Pittsburgh,  PA.  It's a rigorous, small, conservative Christian school with an excellent reputation.  It's more affordable than many schools as well.  

Lipscomb University is another conservative Christian school and it's located in Nashville, TN.  

Not on the coast but eastern US- Lee University in TN is a Christian school and has nursing and is located in a very conservative town. Low tuition for a private school and automatic merit aid for ACT scores.

I have no knowledge of the nursing program but they just built a brand new building for it.

I am a graduate of the college, and my dd is there now. She just applied to the nursing program hoping to start in the fall. She didn't declare the major her first year, so she has worked on the core classes and science pre-requisites.  

She is there as a Centennial Scholar, which is full tuition. She made a 33 on the ACT and the range is 32-36. I think the SAT math/reading score is 1450 and above. She took the ACT first and didn't bother taking the SAT. It requires a 3.7 GPA to keep full tuition. If it drops to 3.0-3.69, it goes to half tuition, but she can actually regain it if she brings it up.

They have Frontline Preview days and a big preview weekend with a lot of scholarships awarded through drawings.

http://www.leeuniversity.edu/frontline/

http://www.leeuniversity.edu/lee-day/

• Like 2

For those wanting a conservative Christian college, but want something other than nursing, Patrick Henry College in Virginia may be worth a look. It doesn't look like they have a nursing program, but they are supposed to be very receptive to homeschoolers, and are certainly very conservative Christian. http://www.phc.edu/

Michael Farris of the Homeschool Legal Defense Association was the founder of Patrick Henry College. We are members of HSLDA, and think highly of Michael Farris.  He also founded ParentalRights.org.

I haven't seen Geneva listed yet (near Pittsburgh).

Also, my dd is a current student at Messiah.

I don't think Geneva has nursing...

Kids from school who want Christian and nursing tend to pick Liberty, Messiah, or Roberts Wesleyan.  Or they go to our regular state schools and/or even start at community college - those latter choices if they can't afford the former.

My daughter is about to graduate from Liberty nursing. First, it's an excellent program and she has had a lot of hospital experience and will graduate with a trauma certification as well. I highly recommend it. We found that they give very generous scholarships. My middle daughter is at a state school (we are in state VA) and got the highest scholarship offered there as well and the costs are pretty comparable even though Liberty is a private school. One thing to know that bugged me but not my husband so much is that once they hit their junior year they are at the hospital often enough and on their own schedule that they pretty much need their own transportation. There are  clinicals done their sophomore year but its easier to get rides for that because they aren't multiple times a week. I didn't want her to have a car and the added expense of that. I still question whether it was absolutely necessary, but I do know that it would have made her life a lot more difficult to constantly have to depend on someone else to get her to the hospital especially when if you are late twice you fail. 

Also, I don't know where you fall on the "conservative" spectrum but you should know that in general the kids aren't as conservative as the school. This was fine for us because we aren't that conservative, but if you are looking for a school full of kids who all believe firmly in the rules the school has, you won't find it at Liberty. Also, the food is lousy so they look forward to living off campus and not having to pay for the meal plan LOL. 

• Like 2

I don't think Geneva has nursing...

Kids from school who want Christian and nursing tend to pick Liberty, Messiah, or Roberts Wesleyan. Or they go to our regular state schools and/or even start at community college - those latter choices if they can't afford the former.

Oh, I missed the nursing part in the title! I was wondering why several posts mentioned it because I didn't see anything about nursing in the first post so ignore my posts!

• Like 1

Heather, those are GREAT tips about Liberty-I never would have known those things! Thank you! I am really shocked about the conservative thing-I had no idea-I assumed the kids would be conservative-my dd is very conservative. (Would it be worth it to get her into a quad w/ a kitchen and have her make her own food? And what did you end up doing about a car for your dd junior year-would Uber work for us, or is it $$$? I don't know much about Uber-lol)

Since Cedarville was on your original list, I thought I'd mention that they just made an announcement that they are offering a few majors as three-year majors and nursing was one of them.  They are changing the timing of when they offer certain classes so that by going through the summers it's possible to complete the nursing program in three years instead of four.  Just thought I'd throw that out there in case your dd might be interested.

DH's grandparents were graduates of Messiah College in PA. His grandma was a nurse. I think Messiah was founded by one of the Anabaptist denominations but his grandparents were Presbyterian. I don't know much about Messiah but it would be one to consider.

I was going to suggest Messiah as well. It's a cute little campus in a quiet, pretty area, 2-3 hours from D.C. and Philadelphia. My kids have done some Homeschool science classes there, and they seem to be pretty Homeschool friendly. I think they even have a dedicated admissions counselor for homeschoolers.

Messiah is definitely not as conservative (teaching wise) as Liberty, but as mentioned upthread, don't expect all the students at Liberty to share conservative values - many don't.  There's a wide range from "I'm only here because mom/dad think it will keep me a Christian, but I'm not interested" to liberal Christian to conservative Christian.  Many kids/parents can be surprised, so it's good to note and know ahead of time.

Heather, those are GREAT tips about Liberty-I never would have known those things! Thank you! I am really shocked about the conservative thing-I had no idea-I assumed the kids would be conservative-my dd is very conservative. (Would it be worth it to get her into a quad w/ a kitchen and have her make her own food? And what did you end up doing about a car for your dd junior year-would Uber work for us, or is it $$$? I don't know much about Uber-lol)

We had to get her a car. It's not a great car, we spent about $3000 and she has to spend her summer job money for gas, oil change etc but we pay insurance. Uber wouldn't be doable at all. She's at the hospital 3 times a week and from what I can tell from those I know who use Uber for their occasional outings it's about $30 a trip minimum so that would add up very quickly. As far as the conservative thing goes, the teaching is conservative and of course the rules are - no public PDA, no drinking, dancing is questionable, no premarital sex - but just as the views on these things vary within the Christian community, they vary amongst the students. I think many people assume that both Liberty and it's students subscribe not just to Biblical teachings but to uber conservative social and political views as well.  My daughter has found it to be a mix. Of course not nearly as much of a mix as a public university, but not a sheltered environment either. 

Since Cedarville was on your original list, I thought I'd mention that they just made an announcement that they are offering a few majors as three-year majors and nursing was one of them.  They are changing the timing of when they offer certain classes so that by going through the summers it's possible to complete the nursing program in three years instead of four.  Just thought I'd throw that out there in case your dd might be interested.

I would be really interested to see how this works. Everywhere my daughter looked, both Christian and secular, a nursing major was very difficult to get finished in the 4 years because of clinical time and classes that built on other classes. We looked at Cedarville but it was too small for her so we never looked seriously at it. I wonder how they are fitting it all in 3 years and how that works with scholarships which usually don't apply to summer courses. 

Regent University in VA

Pensacola Christian in FL

As far as I know Regent only has a RN to BSN program but maybe they've started a new one in the last couple of years. Be careful with Pensacola. Unless things have changed in the last couple of years they are not an accredited university which becomes a problem when you want to sit for a national licensing exam (NCLEX) or if you want further nursing education. 

We had to get her a car. It's not a great car, we spent about $3000 and she has to spend her summer job money for gas, oil change etc but we pay insurance. Uber wouldn't be doable at all. She's at the hospital 3 times a week and from what I can tell from those I know who use Uber for their occasional outings it's about $30 a trip minimum so that would add up very quickly. As far as the conservative thing goes, the teaching is conservative and of course the rules are - no public PDA, no drinking, dancing is questionable, no premarital sex - but just as the views on these things vary within the Christian community, they vary amongst the students. I think many people assume that both Liberty and it's students subscribe not just to Biblical teachings but to uber conservative social and political views as well. My daughter has found it to be a mix. Of course not nearly as much of a mix as a public university, but not a sheltered environment either.

I would be really interested to see how this works. Everywhere my daughter looked, both Christian and secular, a nursing major was very difficult to get finished in the 4 years because of clinical time and classes that built on other classes. We looked at Cedarville but it was too small for her so we never looked seriously at it. I wonder how they are fitting it all in 3 years and how that works with scholarships which usually don't apply to summer courses.

As far as I know Regent only has a RN to BSN program but maybe they've started a new one in the last couple of years. Be careful with Pensacola. Unless things have changed in the last couple of years they are not an accredited university which becomes a problem when you want to sit for a national licensing exam (NCLEX) or if you want further nursing education.

I'm fairly certain Pensacola's nursing program is accredited at least.

Also, I don't know where you fall on the "conservative" spectrum but you should know that in general the kids aren't as conservative as the school. This was fine for us because we aren't that conservative, but if you are looking for a school full of kids who all believe firmly in the rules the school has, you won't find it at Liberty. Also, the food is lousy so they look forward to living off campus and not having to pay for the meal plan LOL. 

This is true of Gordon College as well, but last time I checked they didn't have a nursing program anyway, unless it's a partner program with another school.

Heather, those are GREAT tips about Liberty-I never would have known those things! Thank you! I am really shocked about the conservative thing-I had no idea-I assumed the kids would be conservative-my dd is very conservative. (Would it be worth it to get her into a quad w/ a kitchen and have her make her own food? And what did you end up doing about a car for your dd junior year-would Uber work for us, or is it $$$? I don't know much about Uber-lol)

Having attended a Christian college, and have had a lot of friends at Christian colleges over the years(including LU, where one of my sister's friends is just about to graduate with her BSN)....I almost never met a student as conservative as the college. I think it's pretty safe to assume that the students are rarely as conservative as the school's official policies.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...