Menu

This year my boys are 9 (grade 4) and 11 (grade 5). We are doing the Prufrock Press logic books plus I am supplementing with some other puzzle books for my oldest. 

We do a lot of subjects together so I had given some thought to doing informal logic together as well, but I am concerned that my youngest (who will be 5th grade next fall) will be too young for it.  His brother is only a grade higher but 21 months older and that can make a real difference sometimes.

What I own so far and *could* use:

• The Thinking Toolbox
  • The Fallacy Detective
  • Art of Argument plus two workbooks

I could possibly do this progression with my oldest:

6th--Thinking Toolbox/Fallacy Detective alone with mom

7th--Art of Argument with younger DS (then grade 6)

8th--formal logic (TBD)

Thoughts on combining for Art of Argument in grade 6??  Can a 6th grader do this? I am mostly hearing people saying 7th or 8th for it, but based on the WTM progression we should be in formal logic by then. 

My 8th grader will do Art of Argument next year, and I think that's almost kinda sorta pushing it. My other 2 did it in 9th and it was perfect. I think SWB's kids must be much much smarter than mine lol

6th Grade​ did Fallacy Detective this year and loved it.

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My 6th grader is doing Art of the Argument with no problem (actually, it turned out to be one of his favorite subjects).  He does get a lot out of the program.  He loves to point out things he has learned when he sees TV commercials or overhears something on a news broadcast. 

But I think it really does depend on the particular student.  I am fairly certain my oldest would not have been able to get through the program in 6th grade (or middle school at all).

• Like 1

My 6th grader is doing Art of the Argument with no problem (actually, it turned out to be one of his favorite subjects).  He does get a lot out of the program.  He loves to point out things he has learned when he sees TV commercials or overhears something on a news broadcast. 

But I think it really does depend on the particular student.  I am fairly certain my oldest would not have been able to get through the program in 6th grade (or middle school at all).

We did Art of Argument last year with a sixth grader and it was her favorite subject, too.  I agree that this would work for some and not others.  We'll be doing it later with her 5th grade brother (and it's too early to tell with everyone else).

• Like 1

We did Art of Argument last year with a sixth grader and it was her favorite subject, too.  I agree that this would work for some and not others.  We'll be doing it later with her 5th grade brother (and it's too early to tell with everyone else).

For those that did it in 6th, what was the process for evaluating if they were ready for it?  Is it a maturity thing?