Menu

Chemistry for advanced 11 yr old

Creekside5

So... my kid loves science.  He spends his free time on you tube learning all kinds of interesting stuff about science.  He says he wants to be a nuclear engineer when he grows up.  For Christmas he got a Kosmos and Thames 3000 chemistry set.  Because he has an expensive science kit, we will be doing chemistry next year.   I am not sure what to do with him, nor do I know what he knows well and what gaps he has in his knowledge ( he is completely self-taught when it comes to most science.)   He knows the periodic table super well and he understands it very thoroughly.  I believe that high school chemistry would require some advanced math.  He will be doing pre-algebra and algebra 1 AoPs next year.

I am wondering if we would be bored doing Noeo chemistry III or if we should we try another curriculum.  I like the Noeo simply because it uses our kit and utilizes a variety of books.  (We could probably follow rabbit trails.) We could just do the labs in the K and T  kit, but I think he needs how to do proper lab reports, and learn to read and study science. I think my goal would be for him to be ready for any AP chemistry class in high-school.  I would love something aimed at a 8th/freshman/sophomore level- any ideas??? What have you all tried that worked?  Not interested in Apologia (that is what he has at school--- he dislikes it, and he spends his time trying to refute creation science-- bored logic stage thinker.)  What have you tried and liked for chemistry at this level? Thanks!!!

• Like 1

Spectrum Chemistry is my suggestion. 

I did it with my oldest 2 at ages about 12 & 14, and then did it with my "baby" last year again at age 12. No problems. (All my kids were advanced in math, and so had Algebra before attempting Spectrum Chemistry.)

Spectrum is solid high school level and well prepared my kids for AP study. However, the book isn't as wordy or lengthy as typical high school texts, which, IMHO, is a bonus for a younger student in particular. 

It's also very easy to do at home. The kit has everything you need. Lab manual is comprehensive. Everything is well laid out. 

FWIW, I started with a read-together-hand-holding approach for the first few chapters, and then let the kids transition into very independent study . . . and they all did just great. My suggestion is to do it together for 3-4 weeks and then let them fly once you know they're doing it right. 

• Like 3