Menu

WTMA Bio for 8th grader? (X-post to logic board)

Can anyone who has experience with WTMA Biology comment on whether they feel it would be appropriate for a mature, motivated 8th grade student? She is a strong reader/writer, has already completed Algebra 1 (though I'm going to have her repeat it with another program next year), but does not have a ton of science background. She is doing DO Physical Science now. My other alternative is WHA's Logic Stage life science, but I would prefer a secular course.

I think it would depend a lot on her workload in other subjects. I considered WTMA biology for my DS this year but went with something else due to the reviews here indicating quite a heavy workload in the WTMA bio class. Which I think is fine if that's what you want. It seems to be a rigorous, very thorough course.

FWIW, another option you might consider is FundaFunda Academy. They have a secular high school bio course that uses the Miller-Levine textbook.

ETA: Here's a thread about the workload in WTMA Bio, in case you haven't seen it already.  http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/577166-wtm-academy-biology/

Edited by TarynB

I think it would depend a lot on her workload in other subjects. I considered WTMA biology for my DS this year but went with something else due to the reviews here indicating quite a heavy workload in the WTMA bio class. Which I think is fine if that's what you want. It seems to be a rigorous, very thorough course.

FWIW, another option you might consider is FundaFunda Academy. They have a secular high school bio course that uses the Miller-Levine textbook.

ETA: Here's a thread about the workload in WTMA Bio, in case you haven't seen it already. http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/577166-wtm-academy-biology/

Thanks, Taryn. I had not seen that thread. Very helpful, indeed. DD will be taking three other time-consuming live online classes, so I think we'll wait another year on bio. 15-20 hours per week?!?!
  • Like 1

My ds loves WTMA Bio - it's his favorite class. He's 9th grade with little to no science background up til then. The Holt text is easy to read and enjoyable - and I'd say he averages about 1 hour per day of homework, but it's not terribly difficult. He's a strong student with a strong math background - but there has been little to no math necessary IMO. Mrs. Upperman is fantastic - so take it when you have the chance.

• Like 2

My ds loves WTMA Bio - it's his favorite class. He's 9th grade with little to no science background up til then. The Holt text is easy to read and enjoyable - and I'd say he averages about 1 hour per day of homework, but it's not terribly difficult. He's a strong student with a strong math background - but there has been little to no math necessary IMO. Mrs. Upperman is fantastic - so take it when you have the chance.

Could your son have succeeded in the class last year as an 8th grader?

Could your son have succeeded in the class last year as an 8th grader?

Depends on many factors. Will I put my rising 8th grade dd in this class? No. But she's not the same as my son. Does your 8th grader have experience with online classes? Reading texts and studying for tests/quizzes, taking notes from lectures? If they have the tools to handle this, then yes, I'd say it's doable. She's a great teacher, and my son feels that she teaches everything well, so he understands it all pretty readily. My rising 8th grader will only have her first online course next year, first experience with tests/quizzes, so we will wait on her until, most likely, 9th grade. My ds in Bio now is a strong student - he was in a 'study' group of others from her classes (no longer), and those kids were clearly not cut from the same cloth as my son, and seemed to be in fear of failing the class. So it depends entirely on YOUR student.

• Like 2