Menu

Akimbo series

A miracle happened in our house--my 7 year old son has discovered a series he loves: Alexander McCall Smith's Akimbo books.  Short chapters, high interest, and quickly-resolved peril all work together to keep this ADHD kid glued to the couch and truly excited.  Can anyone recommend others in this vein?  He is easily discouraged and so I am trying to make sure every independent reading (actually listening, since he's dyslexic) choice is a knock-out at this point.  He is outdoorsy and loves adventurous boy characters.

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

Oh! Tashi might be good. We have the Great Big Enormous Book of Tashi. It is great, but the thickness of a metropolitan phone book. However, I think it is a compilation, if you could find separate books... There are some unusual names, I'm not sure if that would be an issue.

I read it together with my beginning reader during reading time. When we finished, she said she was going to save that book for her kids. (Aww)

Ditto Tashi

Tales From Maple Ridge

Danny Dunn

Wings of Fire

Wrenly

Level 3 Scholastic readers

Bunjitsu Bunny (there are 4 I think)

The Chicken Squad

Precious Ramotswe

My Akimbo kid also loved "manly classics" ("the good books") rewritten at kid's level. Even now, after he reads an original he likes to sit down and hit the kid's version, only now it takes an hour

versus a couple days :)

Maybe the Boxcar Children?

• 1 month later...

Oh! Tashi might be good. We have the Great Big Enormous Book of Tashi. It is great, but the thickness of a metropolitan phone book. However, I think it is a compilation, if you could find separate books... There are some unusual names, I'm not sure if that would be an issue.

I read it together with my beginning reader during reading time. When we finished, she said she was going to save that book for her kids. (Aww)

Excellent recommendation!!!  It was perfect to give a hesitant reader the needed confidence to sit & read a "big" book. We got the Big Big Big book through ILL while we waited for our library to order the Great Big Enormous Book of Tashi. 

Thanks for the recommendation!!!

• 2 weeks later...