Menu

Waiting until close to May 1st to commit and losing housing the process?

Ann.without.an.e

Has anyone had this happen?  DD has several friends who have decided not to wait until their April 1st decisions to come out but to go ahead and commit to the large, flagship Uni for fear of not having housing?  Can this happen?  DD doesn't want to commit anywhere until she sees where she gets in.

Edited by Attolia

Has anyone had this happen?  DD has several friends who have decided not to wait until their April 1st decisions to come out but to go ahead and commit to the large, flagship Uni for fear of not having housing?  Can this happen?  DD doesn't want to commit anywhere until she sees where she gets in.

Do you mean Chapel Hill? If so, I've never heard of them having a shortage of housing for freshmen. Our niece is a senior who stayed in the regular freshmen dorms. She never said anything about any issues with people getting a room. DS is a junior but stayed in Granville (private dorm) but he never mentioned anything about any of the students in regular dorms having a problem. Not saying it doesn't happen (and I think it probably is an issue at some schools). But I wouldn't rush to commit to Chapel Hill because of it.

• Like 1

Do you mean Chapel Hill? If so, I've never heard of them having a shortage of housing for freshmen. Our niece is a senior who stayed in the regular freshmen dorms. She never said anything about any issues with people getting a room. DS is a junior but stayed in Granville (private dorm) but he never mentioned anything about any of the students in regular dorms having a problem. Not saying it doesn't happen (and I think it probably is an issue at some schools). But I wouldn't rush to commit to Chapel Hill because of it.

Yes, CH.  I thought they would surely have enough freshman housing secured but DD's friends are using it as their reason for committing, something dd doesn't want.  I think they must be misinformed.  DD was concerned.  Thanks for your thoughts.

• Like 1

They gave her a deadline of May 15th for Honors housing too so I am just thinking her friends have no clue  :lol:

• Like 2

Yes, people send in housing deposits early to ensure their best chance for the housing they want or to get housing at all In some cases.

Usually housing deposits are refundable up to a certain point.

Usually you are not considered committed until you pay the tuition deposit.

• Like 4

Yes, people send in housing deposits early to ensure their best chance for the housing they want or to get housing at all In some cases.

Really, wow.  How would we go about this?  We haven't gotten any information on how to do this.  Thanks

Really, wow. How would we go about this? We haven't gotten any information on how to do this. Thanks

It's not a general thing, it's sometimes a "huge state school with limited dorm space" (or a "huge state school where if I don't get the one freshman dorm near the engineering quad I have to walk 3/4 of a mile to class in the snow", or somesuch) thing.

If the school is not telling you to sign up for housing right away in their materials, you can check the website, but it probably doesn't apply to you.

• Like 1

You can enroll and pay the housing deposit . . . even if you aren't sure you're going to that school. It's not a binding commitment. 

I paid the housing deposit for both my kids as soon as possible (the minute housing opened for my current soon-to-be grad), to secure good housing for their likely college . . . 

To me, the deposit is a $200 insurance policy on having the best possible housing. If my kid had been applying to other more competitive schools, I'd still secure housing at their most-likely back up if possible. 

• Like 2

We did this. We sent housing deposits in January because that was when they started making the lists and my kids wanted first choice on housing. Dd changed her mind later and we had that housing deposit refunded and she had no trouble getting housing at the Uni where she decided to go. 

Search the housing website for the university or just call admissions. They'll be able to tell you about housing deposits. All the schools we looked at (a small number) refunded housing deposits up until early June.

• Like 1

This really depends on the school. Your state flagships handle this differently.

UNC

Will I get a better assignment if I submit my application early?

No. Because applications are randomly ordered before assignments are made, all students who submit an application by May 15 will receive equal chance of getting assigned to one of their preferences.

Is there a deposit required to apply for housing?

No. There is no deposit required to apply for housing. However, if you apply and then cancel you will be responsible for a minimum $200 cancellation penalty.

For NCSU:

I was just accepted to NC State. Should I still apply for housing even if I am not sure if I am going to attend the university?

Yes. The sooner you apply for housing, the more likely you are to receive your choice of residence halls. Housing assignments are made on a first-come, first-served basis. There is no penalty to cancel your housing agreement if you do not attend the university.

• Like 2

This really depends on the school. Your state flagships handle this differently.

UNC

Will I get a better assignment if I submit my application early?

No. Because applications are randomly ordered before assignments are made, all students who submit an application by May 15 will receive equal chance of getting assigned to one of their preferences.

Is there a deposit required to apply for housing?

No. There is no deposit required to apply for housing. However, if you apply and then cancel you will be responsible for a minimum $200 cancellation penalty.

This exactly what I needed to know, thanks so much.  Was that on the website?  I searched and didn't see that.  I am inept  :lol: