Menu

Has anyone here used the business math ( pet store, sports store, etc) for up to middle school?

What would be the purpose for the program? They are great but if you are using them strictly for math and your student is a functioning at grade level for math you might want to beef up the math side. You could probably still make it work well, though, for seeing the practical application side and the fundamentals of running a business.

• Like 1

My son enjoyed it as a supplement. He did the pet shop version. We did it over part of the summer and the first few weeks of school. Two other students did it and met with him weekly to go over their results. 

If I had time, I would have liked to let him learn to do a few months using a spreadsheet to get used to working in one. I also thought it might be nice for him to makes some graphs of sales, profit/loss, etc. for each month.

We did one month per week.

• Like 1

My son enjoyed it as a supplement. He did the pet shop version. We did it over part of the summer and the first few weeks of school. Two other students did it and met with him weekly to go over their results. 

If I had time, I would have liked to let him learn to do a few months using a spreadsheet to get used to working in one. I also thought it might be nice for him to makes some graphs of sales, profit/loss, etc. for each month.

We did one month per week.

My 5th graders did the sports store version this past summer.  It was fine for a fun thing.  One of my boys flew through it in a couple of weeks.  The other wasn't as into it and took longer.

Our ten year old daughter completed the pet store last summer and loved it.  It's a great, hands on math and business summer project.  In fact, our daughter took out stuffed animals and had them all over our living room/pet store for weeks!  It was awesome...really!