Menu

Thinking again about developing an online high school chem course for homeschoolers

I've been tossing around this idea for a few years now but I think I might finally be ready to try to get something started. :)  In my searching, I've not found a lot of choices for asynchronous high school level chemistry courses at either the regular or honours levels.  I think there are a number of choices for packaged courses where the parent delivers the course themselves but I was thinking more along the lines of something like Derek Owens but for chemistry.  There would be video lectures, a syllabus to follow, assignments, labs, tests, and midterm and final exams.

What does the Hive think?  Is there a need for this?  Is there something out there like this that already exists?  Am I barking up the wrong tree? :)  Would there be more of a demand for a course with synchronous, live classes?  I was thinking, though, that places like WTM Academy had got the synchronous class thing covered.

Thoughts? :)

• Like 21

Absolutely!!! I've been looking at chemistry options for my DS . . . none of them seem like a great fit for us . . . and I would be all over it if you offered something like this! It sounds perfect for our needs. DS has taken 3 math classes with Derek Owens plus his physical science class . . . so obviously we like the asynchronous format. It suits our needs very well. The structure you describe sounds perfect. Please do it!!!!!!  :drool5:

• Like 4

Sounds great! I think a weekly live component along with asynchronous videos, assignments and labs would be more interesting to my student.  I also think an optional honor's level chemistry class would be fantastic.

This type of class would be perfect for us.

• Like 1

Please. This would be great!  

There are synchronous class options.  And we were going to go that route.  I held ds's hand all the way through chemistry.  It was fun, but I don't have that kind of time this time around.  And dd is WAY more independent.  

A once a week synchronous class option would be great. (not sure how this would work if you could just "jump in" at any point...)  Maybe for those who take the class on a traditional schedule?  It could kind of review the material for the past week?

• Like 1

If the lab was an easy to find reasonably priced kit, then absolutely (or even just a complete list with where to buy). I would especially LOVE a small kit with like the "10 essential experiments" then an option for the 15 experiment kit (I just picked #'s, I assume I am way off on how many labs would be included). Definitely Async. I could never make my kids show up on time plus they would complain constantly about how many times the other students ask the same question (basically I would be embarrassed to force my kids on some poor teacher/class).

• Like 2

We would be interested. I like what Clover Creek does, which is an optional one live class per week, morning messages on what to do during the day, and labs with easily obtainable materials. Honors or AP optional.

With a book that plays well with the course, ideally. :o. Honestly, I would be thrilled with a completely asynchronous option, like Derek Owens. I've been looking over some of the BYU and Nebraska online high school options for these types of things b/c you can stop and start at anytime. Most of them are fully online, but we really need a book.

Edited by elladarcy
  • Like 1

This is so awesome, Connie! If you ever need a listening ear to bounce ideas off of, please pm or email me. Jann in TX gave me good advice when I first began working on my physics course, and I would love to pay that forward at anytime.

:hurray:

I was going to suggest something like Jetta's physics course! I think it is the perfect blend of synchronous and asynchronous. The synchronous part is the daily messages and the weekly optional class, the asynchronous part is that you can choose when, in your day, to do it, and I think I'm correct in stating that you can watch a recording of the weekly class if you can't make it at the actual time. My dd does math with Derek Owens, haven't used the physics course, and I really like it, however, because it is totally asynchronous, it does take more discipline to keep up. Derek Owens math works really well for us, though, because we can slow down, or speed up, depending on where we are in our robotics season. Robotics takes up huge amounts of time during parts of the season.

• Like 3

Excellent feedback!  Thanks, folks! :)

I think my first step is to decide between completely asynchronous or somewhat asynchronous with a weekly optional meeting.  If I go the first route, then a student could start the course at any time.  If I go the second route, I think I would have to run it during the "traditional" school year - I don't think weekly live classes would work if students were at all different points in the course. :)

And thank you for the very generous offer of mentoring, Jetta!!! :)  I'll be PMing you very soon. :)

• Like 5

Excellent feedback!  Thanks, folks! :)

I think my first step is to decide between completely asynchronous or somewhat asynchronous with a weekly optional meeting.  If I go the first route, then a student could start the course at any time.  If I go the second route, I think I would have to run it during the "traditional" school year - I don't think weekly live classes would work if students were at all different points in the course. :)

And thank you for the very generous offer of mentoring, Jetta!!! :)  I'll be PMing you very soon. :)

I'm wondering of you couldn't do both. If you record the optional weekly meetings then a student doing the course completely asynchronously could watch them at the appropriate time in their course. Of course, the first year you offer it, a completely asynchronous student would have to start a little after you did and wouldn't be able to get ahead and still benefit from the meeting. However, after the first run through, that shouldn't be a problem.

• Like 2

I have been searching high and low for an option like that and come up empty.  I would sign up my kids in an instant.  It will be too late for my son who will be taking chemistry this fall (unless you can do wonders) but my daughter will take it next year.

• Like 1

So... :)

My plan is to have this up and running for Fall 2018.  As much as I'd love to have something by this coming fall, I don't want to put it together too quickly and make a mess of it. :)  I'll definitely keep asking the Hive mind for ideas and suggestions - you folks definitely know what works and what doesn't work!

• Like 15

We might be interested in 2019.  My ideal online chemistry class would be a regular (not honors) chemistry course with in which students can see both the instructor and other interesting visuals and board notes.  I'd like the student to have some method of asking the instructor questions.  I'd prefer synchronous classes with recorded sessions available afterward for when students have to miss class.  For labs, I'd like the option to purchase just the supplies we don't  already have rather than having to purchase yet another full kit.  Thank you for considering this!

Edited by klmama
  • Like 2

You might consider the model that Edhesive uses. They have asynchronous video lessons alongside online homework assignments and quizzes administered by the student's mentor.

While the lessons are asynchronous, The course is paved so that a week's worth opens at a time. Students have a forum where they can ask for help from peers or TAs who monitor the threads.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So... :)

My plan is to have this up and running for Fall 2018.  As much as I'd love to have something by this coming fall, I don't want to put it together too quickly and make a mess of it. :)  I'll definitely keep asking the Hive mind for ideas and suggestions - you folks definitely know what works and what doesn't work!

Or maybe do a "test" class for Fall 2017 where you can modify the course based on feedback from students, and give a discounted rate for having guinea pigs? (Can you tell I'm desperately trying to find a class for my dd?)

• Like 3

I would love to offer my two boys for guinea pigs for the fall of 2017 also!!! We are ready and need to take chemistry in the fall and I don't have the amount of time I did with my other two.

On a side note, I would be interested in helping you develop some kind of kit for the experiments if one of the vendors don't have exactly what your labs would need. I would be willing to work with various vendors or supp liers to either create a kit or come up with a discount for students taking the course or something along that line. PM is you want some help with this aspect.

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

Asynchronous would be awesome.  While I love our exotic places of temporary residence, they do not mesh well with US time zones.  My son's calc class will be at 3:30 AM and his physics class will be at 4:30 AM next year.  I am not really sure how awake he will be though it says a lot about the teacher that this option was his first pick.

We also find 90 minute classes are really difficult for sustained focus.  My daughter is looking forward to your class in the fall of 2018 :lol:

• Like 2

Does anyone know "Dicentra"  (Connie) personally?

She seems to have disappeared from the hive.

I'm here, Mark.  Sorry!  I had major surgery 2 1/2 weeks ago and I find it difficult to sit at my computer for any length of time so I've been on somewhat of a media break.  Off to answer your PM. :)

I will definitely post here to let folks know how things are progressing.  Right now, I'm still looking at a Fall 2018 start-up date with a format that's like a cross between Derek Owens and Clover Creek, if that makes sense. :)  The text I'm tentatively considering using is Chang's General Chemistry but that's still up for debate.  Still deciding if I want to have a reg chem section and an honours chem section - don't want to over load myself at first.  Still also trying to decide what to do about labs.  Lots of deciding going on. :)

I may also have another chem course available for Fall 2018, as well.  I'm teaching Organic Chem/Biochem to my dd this coming year as a post-AP Chem course.  If it goes well and I get things the way I want them to be, I'm considering offering that course, too.  Now I just need to heal faster from my surgery!  It's been 2 1/2 weeks, dang it - I should be good as new! :D  I'm not a very patient patient... :P

Thanks for all the interest, folks!  It's very exciting to be planning something like this knowing that I've already got interested parents and students! :)

• Like 16

Hope you have a speedy recovery!  Count us in as being interested for 2018 or 2019!  My first son jumped straight into AP Chemistry with Mr. M. at PAHS, and I would love to give my next child a little more of a lead-in course!

Thank you for thinking of doing this for us!  :hurray:

• Like 1

I feel like I have learned so much having gone through the high school planning phase with my oldest.  I learned so much about what to do from the amazing and knowledgeable Hive, but on many levels I had to go through it first to really know.  I think that for many, jumping straight into AP Chemistry is doable, but just sharing for others who may read this thread later, I think it would have really helped to have had an intro course.  So, all that is just to say that, we would love to take advantage of this in the next year or two with DS2!

• Like 1

I would also love to see another option for chemistry!! My daughter enjoys being able to have a live class option once a week or so as well. We have found the live class once a week to be very helpful but really like the ability to access a recording of the live class to allow for scheduling conflicts to be the best of both worlds. I'm really hoping this gets off the ground. The 2018 time frame is right up our alley.

I wish you a speedy recovery!! take care :grouphug:

• Like 3

Thanks for all the good wishes, folks!  My surgery was the "6 week recovery" kind (some of you more mature ladies will know of what I speak :) ) so other than being limited in my lifting and bending, I'm definitely on the mend.  Sitting at the computer is becoming easier and easier so I can start digging into course development. :)

I do have a question for the Hive regarding the SAT2 subject test for chemistry but I think I'll start a new thread so my question doesn't get buried here.

I'll keep everyone updated!

• Like 3