Menu

US History Spine + Picturebooks

poppy

I swear I had a list of US history picture books from an early thread here, but I can't find the link. Does anyone have it handy?

Or do I just go google the list of expensive curriculums and pick from those? (I can't be the only one ...)

Also for a spine, I've seen The Complete Book of US History recommended as a spine- is this secular?  Or at least "almost kinda secular"?

The Complete Book is secular.

There are several encyclopedias you could use as well. We had The Smithsonian American History Encyclopedia which is also secular.

I forget what grade your kids are, Poppy. I like the Maestro books for early to mid-elementary and the Hakim Story of US series from 5th on up.

Can't help you with a single picture book list, but there are lots of them out there for US history. Like, a mind-boggling number. Guesthollow (which is not secular, but the books mostly are) has a lot of good books on her list. Book Shark and Build Your Library both have US history years in elementary school that you could steal from. I did some research, but mostly I just went to the library and took things out. US history is one of the things that will really work well for (unlike most world history topics where you have to scrounge more). If you take that approach, be sure to hit the biography section heavily.

• Like 1

Are you thinking of the Maestro's American history books?

For upper elementary, we enjoyed Hakim's *concise* version of A History of US (it's from K12, but you can get it used on Amazon--there are four volumes).

No but I have now just ordered those (maestro ) from the library- they look good!

I meant I remember a spreadsheet or list of quality picture books from historical eras. Stories about Plymouth , Jamestown, etc. similar to the set of Thanksgiving books by Kate Waters (Samuel Eatons Day, Sarah Morton's Day, Tapenum's Day).

I have links to so many learning tools saved from here. I just can't find this list I actually want right now!!

My daughter is 9.