Menu

Next Year Plans

Love your new plan, Lace! Which convention did you go to?

Thanks!  I spent entirely too much time working it all out.  

I went to the really big convention in Denver and had a blast.  It was the first convention I've ever been to.  

I hope you'll share how year 8 of BYL goes.  It looks so interesting.  Your posts about BYL on this thread got me very curious, and I nearly bought BYL for DS#1 and DS#3 after I found out we wouldn't be able to get BookShark from our HS charter as I'd originally planned.  I ended up being too indecisive about finishing up our world history cycle vs. diving into US history, which I guess was for the best because I found all that other stuff at the convention!  BYL is still on my radar for future use, though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!  I spent entirely too much time working it all out.  

I went to the really big convention in Denver and had a blast.  It was the first convention I've ever been to.  

I hope you'll share how year 8 of BYL goes.  It looks so interesting.  Your posts about BYL on this thread got me very curious, and I nearly bought BYL for DS#1 and DS#3 after I found out we wouldn't be able to get BookShark from our HS charter as I'd originally planned.  I ended up being too indecisive about finishing up our world history cycle vs. diving into US history, which I guess was for the best because I found all that other stuff at the convention!  BYL is still on my radar for future use, though.

I'll definitely post about how it goes!  So far I'm pretty excited about it.  It's taking a lot of the pressure off, and is easily customizable.

• 4 weeks later...

I'll definitely post about how it goes!  So far I'm pretty excited about it.  It's taking a lot of the pressure off, and is easily customizable.

I threw out these plans.  :lol:

I had to buy it to get it out of my system.  

It's out.

Back to the drawing board for history and science.

• Like 1

DD is 6, turning 7 in May. Really don't know what next year will look like. We know we'll move early summer, but still don't know where, not even which country, so all my plans could go completely out the window. Roughly:

Math: Move along in Beast Academy as she's ready. Throw in Zaccaro, Hands on Equations, living math books, and whatever else catches my eye.

English: Not totally sure. We just finished CE 1 and Grammar Town, but the writing is still over her head. Probably we'll move on to CE 2 but not the rest of Voyage. Brave Writer is always in the mix somewhere. And we're still working on basic handwriting and typing skills. She reads tons, and my book lists aren't adequate to keep up at this point, so probably lots of asking the librarians "what's next?" Hopefully we'll still have good librarians after we move!

Foreign language: She's roughly reached conversational fluency in Spanish. Sometime after our immersion trip this Spring, we'll switch our focus to French. Maybe Galore Park? This will be DH's subject to teach, as he is fluent and I suck at foreign languages.

Then we always have a couple of interest-based subjects that we follow until the interest is done. These are usually science or art. Last semester it included her first Athena's class, which she loved, so I assume she'll go back to that when we're not traveling for a chunk of the semester.

ECs: she currently does gymnastics, dance, circus arts, piano, nature/forest school, and random other. Probably depends a lot on what is available wherever we end up living.

Some of this stuck. Current plan:

Math: same as above

English: Paragraph Town (hoping it works out), NaNoWriMo, copywork, typing with Burning Cargo. In the spring, I'm hoping Athena's Lit will work with the schedule. Free reading. Family read alouds include as much of the Harry Potter series she remains interested in. Plus an eval with an OT for a possible writing disability, and an SLP for a speech issue.

Foreign Language: Homeschool Spanish Academy 1x weekly to maintain skills. DH is starting French instruction using an old high school text as a basic guide.

Cultural Geography: Lit-based, made up by me, still in the works.

Science: Interest-based, including a half-semester Marine Mammals class from Athena's.

We're joining a charter school with onsite enrichment classes (we ended up in CA). Extracurriculars are currently up in the air. She pretty definitely wants to continue with circus arts; the rest is negotiable.

• Like 2

No components of BYL at all?  But who will tell me if it's any good!?

It's basically a schedule for Charlotte Mason living books learning.  I'm sure it's good for people who are really into CM, with neurotypical kids.

I'll start by saying that I got this because I wanted something easier to implement and plan than what I've been doing. 

Why it's not going to work:

The reading level, even two (three?) grades up, was lacking for us.  I don't love the Hakim spine (and we loved History of Us. Well the 5 books we actually read....)  and it's supplemented with the DK History encyclopedia, which I do not like either. 

The science kit you are supposed to buy is discontinued so there is a substitution of a book with experiments.  I.e. you have to gather all the materials on your own. This does not make things easier. I decided to just add in a Science curriculum, but It was turing out to be too hard to schedule because there is a lot of reading. I realized I didn't need DS spending a ton of time reading books way below his level, that aren't deep enough to engage him.  (I needed to see the books to get this.)  

The schedule is for 5 days, and we joined a co-op so I would need to tweak it for 4 days.

I was going to add in grammar and Latin as well.

At the end of the day the lesson was, A BOX CURRICULUM DOESNT WORK FOR US. I already *knew* this, but I needed to get it our of my system.

FWIW, There are some great books on the list that we are still going to read.  The Stephen Hawking book, The Math Book, Astronomy for all Ages, Cartoon Guide to Physics, etc.  DS wanted to keep those.  I'm returning what I can and selling the rest and trying to move on with my life.  :lol:

• Like 4

I am so not ready to think about the next year!

DS:

Math: We are on track to start Prealgebra. I hope to start the book over the summer and then sign him up for the online class. He started the class in June. So far, it is going smoothly.

English: I'll probably have him take another young reader CTY class, and something else for writing. Continue providing him with reading materials and ask for some writing. Maybe add some quick formal grammar course. I decided to go with Analytical Grammar. 

Science and history: I have no idea. Bits and pieces of everything. He said he wanted to do chemistry, so I am considering McHenry's Elements

French: we will continue with our tutor. That is up to her.

Russian: we may drop Russian school, but then I'll have to come up with something else.

Computer Programming with DH.

PE: fencing.

DD:

10th grade, so I am very nervous. She is going to take some DE classes, but I can't really plan anything, since there is no schedule yet, plus she has the lowest priority.

Math she will continue with AOPS Intermediate Algebra. She started Int. Algebra in June, plans to take Precalc next to finish it before summer. Plus, she wants to go over Intro CP and maybe NT. I think 3 math credits in one year is too much.

French with the tutor

English: could be DE or CTY writing. Not sure yet.

History: no idea. DE or something at home.

Science: Definitely DE, but we are still trying to decide if she should take chem 101, and then bio 101, or if she can take intro to biology. Physics is out of question this year, since they only have a conceptual physics course, and the next step up requires precalculus finished. She took Astronomy in summer, registered for Intro Bio for fall.

She will probably take something else in CC for an elective.

Now let's see how long these plans will last :)

DD blindsided me with a sudden decision to go to an engineering school. That is from "maybe biochemistry, but maybe not, because it requires calculus and calculus-based physics." Wish me luck rewriting the rest of her HS plans.

DD blindsided me with a sudden decision to go to an engineering school. That is from "maybe biochemistry, but maybe not, because it requires calculus and calculus-based physics." Wish me luck rewriting the rest of her HS plans.

My kids are still certain engineering school is their safety major and they are not touching Biology other than cramming for the SAT Biology subject test for the fun of checking that box.

• Like 1

Latin 3/4 ( Flemish textbook)

Ancient Greek -> currently in the fridge

Dutch: LA + Literature (Dutch textbook)

English (EFL): Dutch Textbook + Bravewriter + Literature

French (FLE): Dutch textbook + Terre des Lettres 3 + Readinglist (TBD) + immersion camp

German (DAF): Dutch Textbook +Praxis: Literatur und Sprache + Readinglist (TBD) + immersion camp (in search of)

Math 4 (grade 10) TBD

IGCSE Complete Physics

iGCSE Complete Chemistry

M&L Biology

History: 1800-1950, mix of items, dutch textbook as spine

Geography: Space & Earth Science + Environmental science (grade 12 exam)

Music&Arts: Harmony Fine Arts

PE: Folkdance, Aquajogging?

World Religions

Extra:

Sociology, Psychology, Philosophy, Ethics, Current Events

Or something like that :)

For French we will use CLE communication progressive en grammaire progressive instead of the dutch textbook, both avance level.

For German we will use Berliner Platz Neu instead of the dutch textbook.

For math we will use Pienter a Flemish math text, I hope it will work.

Besides Geography we hope to pass also for French the grade 12 exam.

Dd dislikes both subjects most, and if she will get a decent grade, we considered both subjects as done.

It's basically a schedule for Charlotte Mason living books learning. I'm sure it's good for people who are really into CM, with neurotypical kids.

I'll start by saying that I got this because I wanted something easier to implement and plan than what I've been doing.

Why it's not going to work:

The reading level, even two (three?) grades up, was lacking for us. I don't love the Hakim spine (and we loved History of Us. Well the 5 books we actually read....) and it's supplemented with the DK History encyclopedia, which I do not like either.

The science kit you are supposed to buy is discontinued so there is a substitution of a book with experiments. I.e. you have to gather all the materials on your own. This does not make things easier. I decided to just add in a Science curriculum, but It was turing out to be too hard to schedule because there is a lot of reading. I realized I didn't need DS spending a ton of time reading books way below his level, that aren't deep enough to engage him. (I needed to see the books to get this.)

The schedule is for 5 days, and we joined a co-op so I would need to tweak it for 4 days.

I was going to add in grammar and Latin as well.

At the end of the day the lesson was, A BOX CURRICULUM DOESNT WORK FOR US. I already *knew* this, but I needed to get it our of my system.

FWIW, There are some great books on the list that we are still going to read. The Stephen Hawking book, The Math Book, Astronomy for all Ages, Cartoon Guide to Physics, etc. DS wanted to keep those. I'm returning what I can and selling the rest and trying to move on with my life. :lol:

I went through this a few years ago with BYL, and let her know that a 4 day per week schedule was something she should consider. She was very uninterested. I've noticed BookShark started out as a 4 day. We've never made a lit based curriculum work as scheduled, though. We do better with a shelf of books from a booklist and some do-the-next-thing subjects to fill in around.
  • Like 1

We've already started most of this, and things are working well...

DD#1:

Math - BA 4

Grammar - Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind, Year 1

Vocabulary - Wordly Wise 4

Reading - various mom-selected books

Latin - Lively Latin 2

Logic - Code.org, The Great Chocolate Caper

DD#2:

Math - BA 3

Grammar - FLL 3

Vocabulary - Wordly Wise 2

Reading - various mom-selected books

Latin - Lively Latin 1

Logic - a little bit of Code.org (still working on motor skills for controlling the mouse)

Both DDs:

Writing - W&R Fable

Science - Elemental Science Biology for the Logic Stage

History - SOTW 3

DS: A few Kumon workbooks, talking about letters together, puzzles, etc. When he's ready for more, we'll do more.

• Like 1

My kids are still certain engineering school is their safety major and they are not touching Biology other than cramming for the SAT Biology subject test for the fun of checking that box.

My DD doesn't really know that Bio is optional :) Well, she does, but she loves CC and labs, so she is doing it. Actually, I encouraged taking many science classes, so that she could get some exposure to them, to help her figure out what she wants. I didn't think Astronomy would be the class to do it. I suggested it because she spent her break between chemistry sessions in the Planetarium, listening to some free astronomy lectures. I though it would be just a fun elective, but she came out of it with this sudden decision to do engineering.  We'll see if it stays through calculus :)

Actually, I encouraged taking many science classes, so that she could get some exposure to them, to help her figure out what she wants. I didn't think Astronomy would be the class to do it. I suggested it because she spent her break between chemistry sessions in the Planetarium, listening to some free astronomy lectures. I though it would be just a fun elective, but she came out of it with this sudden decision to do engineering. We'll see if it stays through calculus :)

I won't be surprised if my kids end up in computer engineering as one of their majors. My DS12 is interested in astrophysics but more as a minor currently. My kids did biology labs in a homeschool class and also at home, and decided they have enough of biology. The only part of biology they like is genetics sequencing (because the concept of hacking the genome is to them like hacking the computer).

• Like 1

The school year just finished here last week, so now thinking about next year stuff.

Crazypants is moving up to Gp. 7, which is back where he should be by age. He was dropped back since he started last year with very little Dutch, but he's not only become fluent, but tested out of Gp. 6 Dutch LA when they tested him cold. Okay then.

We also have evals done now. So they're putting him in the biweekly pull-out enrichment class. The class works on a project. Together? Independently? I don't know. But it's something, so whoo hoo, I guess.

For math he's going to be doing an online math curriculum. I think it will be secondary integrated math 1. Probably still stuff he already knows, but he's excited about "doing math on an iPad." And this way when he goes to secondary school he'll have a class or two done, and can hopefully have room in his schedule to pick up the extension math track.

In Gp. 7 they start formal English lessons here. The plan is for Crazypants to be a T.A. for the class. His English is better than the English teacher's (I was told) and he enjoys teaching. So I suppose I'll chalk that up to personal development.

As far as afterschooling goes, hmmm, I have to adjust my siggy.

Let's see, we need to finish LfCA - with afterschooling things just take a bit longer than I thought. Especially when getting bogged down with all the pieces and also Headventureland in an attempt to make sure it's all solid and keep things "fun."

Continue Greek with Biblical Greek in 30 Minutes. It's a crazy book, which mostly works because I can shoot out grammar and linguistic explanations as we go. But it's based on cognates and code-switching, much like SSL, so it gets into "reading" Greek fast, while also being "gentle." And there's plenty of Greek roots vocab-building exercises, so that's a bonus.

Picked up a proclick at a thrift store last week. So I printed and bound McHenry's Elements. So we'll start with that, and then who knows. 

I'm not sure what to do about English LA. We started reading The Princess and the Goblin. Then maybe we'll do a literature unit with Holes. And maybe a poetry unit. Probably a Greek myths unit. Gotta raid all the free e-goodies I've stuffed in my gdrive and use my proclick some more. LfC seems to cover enough grammar for now. Spelling, gotta do something with that, his English spelling seems to be slipping, or maybe it's just being extra-sloppy afterschooling. We're winding down Building Thinking Skills, and he find making analogies mind-numbingly boring. Maybe I'll just spring for the next level of Reasoning& Reading, I can get it easily enough here, and he made good progress when we did the Beginning book last year. He's picked up well on W&R Fable (finally) but getting Narrative 1 here without extra $$$$$ is tricky.

For home math, just picking our way through the CTCo. Algebra, Geometry, and mathematical reasoning books, and finishing up things we haven't done yet in BA4. He's interested in the online BA, so depending on the price, I might let him have fun there for BA5. Last year he did the Caribou tests online, and Kangaroo in school, but he always rushes and rushes and makes stupid mistakes. I told him he doesn't get more points for having lots of time leftover, but I guess he isn't competitive enough to care.  :001_rolleyes:

I have it in the back of my mind to pencil in intros to French and German at some point. But I'm not sure where to fit it in. I started playing with doing all the "extras" as units that we do one at a time. So we'll have to see how the schedule pans out.

His current life plan is to be a game developer. I'm not sure what to do about that. Other than tolerate the time he spends messing around in the Roblox creator thing. I've tried to interest him in some online tutorials, but it's either stuff he "already knows" or he's not interested. Alrighty. There's a CoderDojo here that does things at the library, but he says he knows most of stuff they covered in the classes he did with them. Now that his Dutch is good maybe I can start getting the "Javascript for Dummies" or whatever from the library and see if something catches his fancy.

Other than that - travelling to therapy sessions. Can I just say that Aspie+Gifted+perfectionist+anxiety+emotional dysregulation= Not good combination?  :willy_nilly:

It helps to type all this out. Things are a bit clearer in my head now. 

• Like 2