Menu

2017-2018 planning thread for 2nd grade

MyLife

quoting myself to say we've had this for a bit and are now half-way through week 3.

I am a bit torn on this program. I don't know that we will stick with it long term although as of now we are continuing to work on it. I like the nature study & artist study of Primer & the spelling work is fine.

the big cons to me are-

(1)too much drawing- I prefer the narration work of WWE, throughout the entire book they only draw narrations, which dd is already tired of, I like the incremental steps in WWE working them from oral retelling slowly and then written narration.

(2)copywork varies wildly in length. I much prefer the WWE approach of copywork correlated with narration. Yesterday there was a passage from Anne of Green Gables, 4 lines long or something but only 1 sentence, way too much for 2nd grade. It just doesn't match up at all when you have simple narration passages from Winter's Aesop's Fable. Yesterday I just pulled a sentence from the fable itself for copywork.

I downloaded a (free) copy of The Good & Beautiful Grade 2, we might use parts of it. She is a pretty good reader but I wouldn't mind some more work here.

So, perhaps a tenative plan is to continue with Primer for the rest of the year, doing it as we see fit. Changing copy work and doing written instead of oral narration.

Next year doing WWE2 as I like the narration work in it far and above anything else I've seen and sing Good&Beautiful for reading & spelling. With G&B being free I can cut out whatever I want without guilt but if I find it really worthwhile I might buy a physical copy.

Soror, How is Cottage Press working out now that you've had even more time to work through it?

Pathway Reading 2 (and 3 depending on how fast she moves)

Exploring the World with Jack and Annie (science, social studies and literature)

Human Anatomy unit

Daily Geography Practice 1

Miquon and MEP for math

Pentime 2/3

Spanish 1

FLL 2/CTGE 2

• Like 1

Tentative Plans:

History/Science    Finish Beyond Little Hearts (HOD) and start Bigger Hearts.  She's on Week 15 now of Beyond so we'll just keep that going.

Math:  Finish Saxon Math 2 and begin Saxon Math 3  (She's on Lesson 86 so we may be able to finish it up this summer).

Language Arts:   Dictation Day by Day for spelling (studied dictation) along with  R&S Grade 2 spelling

AAR (finish Level 2 and go on to Level 3)

R&S Grammar Grade 2

Art:  Her favorite subject - I picked up Art with a Purpose at the homeschool conference so we will probably work on that along with the projects scheduled in HOD

Bible:  We've been doing Picture Bible Old Testament as a family this year so we'll probably keep going with that.

• Like 3

My current plans, always subject to change:

Math: debating between BJU 2 and Right Start

Science: older brothers are doing RSO Bio 2 so she'll be reading living books and doing related science kits at her own level.

LA: currently thinking ELTL. Also WWE2 and AAS2. The Good and the Beautiful Handwriting.

History: SOTW3

Art: Home Art Studio

Bible: Bible Study Fellowship lessons and weekly class

Geography: Some sort of geography workbook

French: Mission Monde 1

Options Day for art, music, PE and science. 

Two seasons of soccer, one of gymnastics.

Edited by insertcreativenamehere
  • Like 1

Math: CLE 200

Phonics: Seton Phonics 2 which we recently started and reading through the I Can Read It books. (she's reading, but not fluently...I'd be worried but she is making progress and her older brother was the same way, reading kicked up significantly in 2nd grade). 

Grammar: FLL 1, then 2 (we just started level 1)

Writing: WWE

Literature: Random books I pick from lists on various curriculum sites...hopefully some that go with our Ancients cycle

Handwriting: Seton Handwriting 2

History: TAN's Story of Civilization

Religion: TAN's Story of the Bible, Tell Me About the Catholic Faith, Once Upon a Time Saints (and the sequels), Faith Formation class a our Parish

Science: maybe Catholic Heritage Company Behold and See 2, but not sure on that. Plus documentaries, etc. 

Art -??? 

Music-???

Spanish??? Is there one that is mostly oral for a nice intro? Given that she's not reading well yet?

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 1

I think we have most things figured out...

Math - this one I'm not sure about. We are finishing up MM 1 and will definitely make a change. Still researching.

AAS 2

AAR 2 (finishing up) and AAR 3

FLL 2

WWE 1

Zaner-Bloser 2M for handwriting

SOTW 1

R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey Earth and Space

E-M Daily Geography 2

Home Art Studio DVD's for art

Continuining clay classes and PE

• Like 1

Here is our second grade plans...

History

Sonlight B

Science

Sonlight B

Math 

Math U See Beta

Language Arts 

LOE C 

The Good and the Beautiful Level 1 (using this for poetry, art appreciation, grammar, and extra reading practice)

Edited by jmjs4
  • Like 1

Just saw this thread... I think 2nd is finished planning:

Math: Singapore 2 with CWP  

History: tag along with olders: World 1800 - today

Science: Mystery Science with books/documentaries added

Spelling:  Daily Dictation using Spelling Plus lists

Writing:  Jot it Down (biggest change we did WWE1, which they liked, but not sure if they are ready to jump to WWE2)

Lit: Lots of awesome picture books, some FIAR books we haven't done yet, some I'm just picking

Geography: Family lit based study of Asia, Europe and Oceania

Grammar: Finish FLL1 and start FLL2

Phonics/Reading: ETC online, continue Reading eggs/eggspress, read aloud to mom

Handwriting: Zaner Bloser book 2C

Art: Madcaplogic.com, artist study as a family and free time online drawing lessons

Logic: Assorted logic books (prufrock press etc)

4H primaries, archery

• Like 1

Here's my plan at this point for my youngest of three, who will already be in 2nd grade! How did that happen?!

Bible - AWANA & Veritas Press Self Paced Bible

Math - Math U See - Beta

Grammar - Shurley Grammar Level 2

Writing - IEW People & Places in Our Community

Spelling - Phonetic Zoo - Level A

Literature - Veritas Press

Handwriting - Write Through the Bible

Latin - Song School Latin

Geography - Expedition Earth (Confessions of a Homeschooler) & Geography Songs CD (Kathy Troxel)

History - Veritas Press Self Paced History

Science - Listen in to Apologia Anatomy with brother and do some experiments. We may get some Tinker Crates as well throughout the year. Expedition Earth also explores some of the animals and habitats from the various regions, so there's some science in there too.

Music - Piano

I may add a critical thinking book in there too if we have time.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Discussed this with my kiddo today and decided to post here again just to keep all of my thoughts in one place.

ELA: ELTL plus Jot It Down

Reading: keep practicing with mom, make a phonogram picture dictionary

Math: MUS Beta

Science:

- Quark Chronicles: Anatomy

- RSO Life

- Escape inside the Human Body books

- IF more time: Earth Science

History: SOTW Medieval plus activities and enrichment books

Bible:

- Kiddo expressed interest in learning about Dark Ages / Middle Ages

- I showed kiddo Long Story Short and he liked that so we will do that together.

Gym:

- Martial Arts?

- Swimming

Health: look at the new curriculum I bought for this / integrate with Anatomy.

Library: keep on with something simple.

Fine Arts: Kiddo is interested in pottery.

Geography: Kiddo wants to learn about maps.

Co-Op: we both decided that this year is too busy for co-op, but we will keep trying to do playdates.

Well, haven't things changed a bunch in 2 months.  I'm still planning to use MUS for Math, but almost everything else is up for grabs.  Looking at Cottage Press Primer, REAL Science Odyssey, and Mosaic.  If anyone else has feedback on those (especially comparing them to ELTL, Quark, and regular SOTW), I would love to hear it!

snapback.png

I haven't been thinking much beyond tomorrow, but here's my general plan.  It is kind of relaxed because we only do a few subjects a day together (and my son's awesome grandparents help me out by each teaching one class).  We use Barefoot Meandering's Wayfarers as a general guideline.

ELA: ELTL (with limited memory work), add in other poetry and reading aloud for fun when we can

Reading: RLTL and reading leveled readers from the library

Math: Math-U-See Alpha/Beta

Science: Quark Chronicles Anatomy, not sure what else (if anything else), maybe go back over Botany and Zoology at a higher level

History/Bible: SOTW and Lessons with Grandpa

Gym: not sure yet ... we have been doing Parkour Lessons and Swimming Lessons, but not sure if we can make it to those lessons next year

Arts: Lessons with Grandma and occasional field trips and/or music appreciation

Health: Try using Primal Kids, continue research approach to various health topics if it goes well this year

Library: Keep going twice a month and read / research

Co-Op: THIS is our new thing for 2nd grade and I'm excited about it ... parents teach some classes, so I might teach Geography (something we wanted to do in 1st grade but it never really happened)

Other: my son recently got interested in Chess, so I'm hoping to continue developing that (maybe with Co-Op??) ... or, another interest if another one comes along by then

The Claritas Memory Work and SQUILT look interesting too ... I'll have to do some research.

Edited by sarahrb

I just uprooted my whole plan and decided to try Wayfarers.  I realized this year (our first year) that I did pretty well with getting math and LA done, but not so hot with the other things.  I like the mix of Classical and Charlotte Mason and the first term was only $25 for the PDF (plus paper and all.the.books.  Thank goodness for thriftbooks!)

We did ELTL and RLTL this year and liked it, so we are going to give the full on Wayfarers curric. a try.  

We will be doing Modern with his older sister, so our plan looks like this:

Math: MM2

LA: ELTL 2

Spelling/Reading: RLTL 2

History: SOTW 4 Spine with Wayfarers literature.
GeographyUS Focus
Science: Still wavering a bit here.  Waiting for the books to come in that I ordered based on Wayfarers recommendations and will go from there
Bible: Wayfarers PLAN 2

Latin: SSL2
PE: Tumbling Class, Swim Lessons, maybe Soccer and/or Lacrosse

Music: Hoping to get going on guitar lessons

• Like 1

I have been back and forth and still haven't landed on science. I have a coming 4th grader with an array of learning issue, and I think I've decided to consolidate several subjects between my precocious 2nd grader and my 4th grader. Anyway, here's where I landed:

History/Literature: Sonlight Core C

This came with a lot of searching and praying and considering but this year I feel we failed with too many literature guides and not enough actual reading. I think this might be helpful for both kids.

Spelling: Spelling Workout C

Penmanship: A Reason for Handwriting T

Language Arts/writing: Bravewriter, Core Skills LA

Math: Math Mammoth 2A/2B (Life of Fred for summer reinforcement)

Bible: VP gospels

Latin: Prima Latina

Edited by mamamoose

This year is kind-of experimental for me. I homeschooled my middle child a couple years ago and failed miserably, put her in PS and wasn't happy with that either, so I'm going to give HSing another try. Her personality is the polar opposite of mine, so it's difficult to choose curricula because she hates everything I like! 

Math: MEP2. Backup: Miquon. Supplement: Prodigy (She already likes that so I'm safe there.)

LA: TG&TB2. Backup: Language Smarts C. Maybe: Editor In Chief. 

Science: Elemental Sci Biology (non-negotiable b/c she has to do this w/ sis)

History: SOTW1. Also w/ sis. I've incorporated a lot of arts, crafts, & cooking projects into it.

Handwriting: Cursive that I come up with. 

Bible: Easy Peasy

Reading: Her choice of library books.

Piano: Hoffman Academy

Typing: Dance Mat Typing 

PE: Her grandma is getting her a Wii Dance game and we'll have lots of park days.

Character Building: Piecing together lessons from hubbard's cupboard and character first ed.

I might start Song School Latin 1 halfway through the year; it just depends on how the first half goes. 

My twins will be in second grade next year. Holy cow.

We are relaxed/ ecclectic

Math: Math games & MM for reinforcement

Language Arts: Bravewriter

Science: Earth Science Units & Nature Study

History: Interest led, probably ancients to be on a rotation (we did US history this year)

Geography: Pin It Maps

Handwriting: New American Cursive

Art: You are an artist videos & artist studies

That's all I'm planning. DD does gymnastics and violin, DS does soccer and piano.

Science we are adding Spangler science kits, adding in Song School Spanish, and BA for my DS.

Edited by Runningmom80

Oh fun! :)

I am not sure if I have it completely nailed down just yet but here is what I have so far...

Phonics: A beka language 2

Grammar: FLL2 and CPP1 (going to try both...we will see how it goes....)

Spelling: Spelling you See C

Cursive: continuing in Reason for Writing T (I don't love it but until we have a better cursive option we are rolling with it)

History: American History (cobblestoned together by me with lots of lit)

Science: Elemental Grammar Chemistry with some ROS labs thrown in

Latin: Songschool Latin 1

Geography: Cantering the Country and Draw the USA (with books thrown in)

Math: continuing with our Horizons 2 and Singapore 2A and 2B hybrid. It is working well so far.

Art: Meet the Masters B and C and she is taking musical theater at our choice program

Music: she will be taking piano and our choice program and continuing with recorder

PE: she is doing soccer again and wants to do karate at our choice program.

Computer: typing instructor for kids platinum and kodable (for early programming)

Elective at home: she is interested in sewing so I am trying to put together a sewing elective but REALLY struggling. Throw math and science at me and I am golden but sewing causes me to lose sleep at night haha!

Well how quickly things change. This has been revamped....

Phonics: we are just going to do a lot of reading. She is a fluent master reader and after looking through phonics 2 she already knows it all.

Grammar/writing: ELTL 2 with some MP and VP Lit guides thrown into the mix

Spelling: SYS C (unless ELTL gets to be too much writing and then we will switch to Spelling Power as a back up)

Cursive: Pentime

History: US History with tons of living books

Science: Apologia Astronomy with Astronomy Lab for Kids

Latin: Prima Latina

Math: Math U See Gamma

Geography: Cantering the Country and Draw the USA

Art: Meet the Masters track B and C and musical theater

Music: piano lessons

PE: soccer and gymnastics.

Computer: Typing Instructor for Kids (she also wants to do kodable but I don't think we can fit it in)

Elective: Fashion Design 1

• 4 weeks later...

Pathway Reading 2 (and 3 depending on how fast she moves)

Exploring the World with Jack and Annie (science, social studies and literature)

Human Anatomy unit

Daily Geography Practice 1

Miquon and MEP for math

Pentime 2/3

Spanish 1

FLL 2/CTGE 2

OK so this has changed a bit, we are calling this year Adv 1st instead of going full on 2nd grade (she is a young five and while she CAN do everything I have listed we're having issues in whether she SHOULD).

Reading- Pathway Grade 2 and The Good and the Beautiful Level 1 with a little of the K level for review.

Math- Miquon Orange, Red and Blue and Green if she gets to it.

Science- My Body unit and Grade 2 Interactive Science Notebook

History- is up in the air but she's still doing geography.

Handwriting- Pentime 2/3

Foreign Language- Spanish Gr 1

Grammar- ELTL 2 and probably some McGraw Hill worksheets

So much has changed for my second grader but we now have it cemented down...

Math: MUS Gamma

Grammar: ELTL 2

Writing: EIW 2 (and using ELTL lit to lightly do WWE)

Comphrension/vocab: using a combination of lit guides to accompany ELTL

Spelling: SYS C

History: Adventures is American History

Geography: Cantering the Country and Draw the USA

Science: Apologia Astronomy

Art: first semester drawing class and second semester Meet the Masters B

Music: Piano

Computers: kodable and typing instructor for kids

Greek: Code Crackers and then SS Greek

Cursive: SCM cursive

She is also taking musical theater at the co-op and also gymnastics and soccer.

Edited by nixpix5

I can't believe I haven't posted here yet...must be a third child thing. 😜

Bible: a family study of the Gospels, BSGFAA Bible summary cards, Mega Verses

Math: MM 2/3

LA: AAR 4, AAS 2, FLL 2, BW, NAC

History/literature: BP year 3

Science: God's Design for Heaven and Earth

Spanish: The Fun Spanish

Co-op 1X/week for Recitation, history, science, and lit.

Extras: piano and team gymnastics