WWE 2

VP First Favorites, More Favorites, Boxcar Children

Singapore 2A/2B

Math Lesson for a Living Education 3

VP Legends and Leagues

VP NTGR

VP Judges through Kings Self paced

BB Science in the Ancient World 

Salsa and Song School Spanish (although we may outsource next year)

Song School Latin

Outsource Art and Music

Most of these things I'm pretty set on, others I may change depending on if we see a class that sparks our interest. 

• Like 4

Mostly not a clue yet, but...

History: SOTW with older brother. Probably part of book 2 and part of book 3, with a few library books on the side (but nowhere near as many as the gonna-be 5th grader).

Dutch: Continue with Rosetta Stone and Hotel Hallo.

Latin: Quite probably do the Big Book of Lively Latin along with older brother.

Math: probably Life of Fred and MEP.

Spelling: AAS.

PE: probably swim&gym.

• Like 1

LA- WWE 1, HTTS, Oral Reading from Pathway Readers & Various books, RAs, IR - I'll just have her pull from our shelves and the library.

Math- Horizons 2- might try her on BA if they get some gr. 2 books published on schedule

History- SoTW 1 w/ big sister

Science- Mystery Science

Art- Artistic Pursuits- k-3 bk 3

Music Appreciation- SQUILT

Family time- PE, Poetry, Nature Study & Philosophy

I'd like to get in more Art & Music as I have not done well with that this year- not sure why- last year I did awesome. I've considered buying some MP Enrichment supplies but I've yet to decide if I'd actually use them.

ETA- I just bought her Artistic Pursuits :) found a copy for $5 so I went for it :)

Edited by soror
  • Like 1

We're planning on:

Math: Singapore 3 with Challenging Word Problems & Beast Academy 3

Writing: Journal & daily writing block

Cursive: Pictures in Cursive

History: We're continuing American history with Children's Encyclopedia of American History & a variety of books (still working on this list)

Literature: Literature & historical fiction to go along with history (still working on this list)

Science: Focus on Middle School Chemistry & Physics

French: Skoldo French 2

Art: Artistic Pursuits Bk 2

Extra: ??? We're still struggling to find an activity that will stick.

• Like 2

Still not sure about anything yet, but here goes:

LA - ELTL with a possible unit from MBTP when we get to February.

Math - ........um...I don't know.  We'll figure this out more at the end of the year and be able to create a more formal plan. 

Science - I'm leaning toward My Pals Are Here as a base, while giving him all the freedom he wants for unit studies.

History - toss up between SOTW 2 and History At Our House (he really likes the teacher there)

Foreign language - Duolingo for Spanish, Latin's Not So Tough level 1, and I'm not sure for French.  I'd like a different style program to eliminate confusion.

Music - Violin

Art - Artistic Pursuits book 2

• Like 2

Bible: Positive Action for Christ's Growing with God

Language Arts: AAS, Reason for Handwriting, IEW Bible Heroes, lots of reading

Math: BJU Math 3 with still some Miquon thrown in

Science: Considering God's Creation

Social Studies: MP's States and Capitols, Evan Moor Daily Geography

Latin: not sure yet if I'm going to do this...started Latin (Prima Latina) with my boys in 2nd, but I don't know if I will be able to pull it off with our schedule next year

PE: softball, soccer, cheer

Music: piano and choir

• Like 2

Dd7 is still officially in 1st, but she is actually starting some of her 2nd grade material. She'll just move on to the rest of her 2nd grade stuff as she finishes the other things.

Saxon 3
VP second grade lit list
Shurley 1, currently. She'll move on to Shurley 2 eventually.
WWE 1 We actually haven't done much of this, so this will be used for 2nd grade, too.
Days Go By
CLP Nature Readers, finishing K in the next week or so and then moving on to the next book.

AAS 2
TOG Year 2

We haven't done a good job with things like Art and science.

• Like 1

Rightstart Math (probably finishing D and starting E) but maybe trying to sell him on Beast Academy

AAS (probably finish 3 and at least part of 4)

WWE 2

HWoT finishing printing power, starting cursive

FLL 2

SotW 2

BFSU 2 (I know he's a little young, but I want him to tag along with an older sib anyway)

continent blobs

Suzuki Violin (hopefully finishing book 3)

Rosetta Stone and Getting Started with Spanish

legally required to do PE, but we outsource to various sports (probably lacrosse, skating - though he wants to do hockey but I'm not sure he skates well enough for that yet, and soccer, but not we'll see)

no clue for art

Edited by rainbowmama
  • Like 1

For my DS who'll be 7 in July:

---Daily subjects---

Math: Singapore 2A/2B + IP (semester behind) + Kate Snow books

Reading: finish OPGTR, lots of library books :)

Penmanship: Zaner Bloser 2C

---3-4x week---

Writing: WWE1

Spelling: AAS

Grammar: FLL2

---2-3x week---

History: SOTW2 + AG

Science: RSO Earth & Space

---weekly---

Art: Home Art Studio

Music: Piano - Music for Little Mozarts

Misc.: Daily Geography, Lollipop Logic, MP Enrichment (poetry, art appreciation, music appreciation)

PE: swimming with Daddy

We're required to test for the first time in Spring, so possibly Thinking Skills for Tests as practice for the Stanford I'll administer at home.

• Like 1

My ds will also be 7 in July:

Sonlight B

FLL 2

WWE finish 1 and begin 2

Spelling Workout B/C

Handwriting without tears cursive ( I think)

Math Mammoth finish 3 and start 4

VP self paced OTAE

Apoligia Botany with dd and maybe anatomy after that

Piano- hoffman academy

Art- Homeschool Art Studo

Spanish- Duolingo

PE- swimming and ??

• Like 1

Ah, I can't believe my middle child will be going into the 2nd grade. 

So far, I am planning for her:

LA:  FLL, WWE, Pentime, BW

Math:  SM

Science:  Mystery science, RSO

PE:  gymnastics

Music:  Flute

Art: Home Art Studio

FL:  SSS, SSL, Foreign Language for Kids by Kids spanish

History:  Sotw

This is my fifth time through second grade. Ah, how time flies.

Math: A Beka Arithmetic 2

History: SOTW 2 w/ older bro

Science: no clue (he loves this best, so it is mostly interest-led)

English: Spell to a Write and Read, read aloud to me, maybe WWE1 or FLL1&2.

Religion: Baltimore Catechism (part 3 of 3)

• Like 1

This is my last time through 2nd grade which feels hard to believe.

Math: Singapore 2B/3A

Reading: Finish OPGTR and some easier versions of literature selections

Literature: read stuff starting from the list I used with her older siblings with some tweaking

Grammar: FLL2

Writing: WWE1/2

Spelling: SWO A/B

History: HO1 Early Modern

Science: outsourced

Latin: SSL1

Art: Artistic Pursuits

Music: composer study and piano lessons

• Like 3

My twins will be in second grade next year.  Holy cow.

We are relaxed/ ecclectic

Math: Math games & MM for reinforcement

Language Arts: Bravewriter

Science: Earth Science Units & Nature Study

History: Interest led, probably ancients to be on a rotation (we did US history this year)

Geography: Pin It Maps

Handwriting: New American Cursive

Art: You are an artist videos & artist studies

That's all I'm planning.  DD does gymnastics and violin, DS does soccer and piano. 

Edited by Runningmom80
  • Like 1

I've already changed mine, added in Music and Art :)

Found Artistic Pursuits for a steal and after a bitmore research decided to go with SQUILT for music appreciation, now to decide how frequently we can actually get to it all.

We're using SQUILT this year and really like it. I've found it makes it easy to get it done.

• Like 3

We're using SQUILT this year and really like it. I've found it makes it easy to get it done.

Thanks for the review, it does look easy to get done!

Hmmm....SQUILT....Do I need to add it?

Need? I don't know but I've been totally slacking this year on the Arts so I'm trying to get on better track next year, ymmv!

• Like 1

I'm in the midst of planning for my daughter's 2nd grade year.

Math: MM 2a/b

LA: FLL 2

History: SOTW2

Geography: Draw Europe

Science: Nancy Larson 1

Spelling: Webster's Speller

Piano: John Thompson

Art/music appreciation: SCM's Picture Study Portfolios and Classics for Kids (local radio program)

Spanish: GSWS

Typing: typing.com

Extras: Weekly CM co-op, homemade Shakespeare study (Midsummer Night's Dream)

Her little sis will be joining in on science just for fun and listening in on SOTW. I'm currently teaching her cursive so most of her copywork next year with ELTL will be in cursive. I wish I had taught her cursive from the start because this one loves anything fancy. She's been trying to create her own fancy writing all along. You should see her MM 1. Who knew numbers could have so many flourishes? Ă°Å¸Ëœ

ETA: Made some changes to our plan.

Edited by ailysh
  • Like 1

Here's our second grade plan:

Math: Jump Math 2

Writing: WWE 2

Grammar: FLL

Spelling: Words Their Way: Within Word Pattern Spellers (Not sure when we will be done with Letter name- Alphabetic spellers, but I'll move on to this booklet sometime in grade 2)

Science - Continuing BFSU Vol 1

Art - Eventually would like to do Home Art Studio, but until then doing Hodge Podge Chalk Pastels free tutorials, Art for Kids Hub, Deep Space Sparkle tutorials with drawing books from library.

History/Geo/Lit - Continuing with ToG Primer. This was supposed to be a two year endeavor (Started in mid year K-4!), but didn't feel the need to rush through or make it the major focus of our day. I have spent most energy on Math and WWE this year. Funny part is that we are heading into the American history section, but seeing as we are Canadian, I'll be switching it up and using Donna Ward's Courage and Conquest. Hoping to start full ToG program year 1 either gr 3 or 4.

Bible - Daily Reading of a children's bible. Want to pick up Big Picture Storybook bible.

- Children Desiring God Resources (Finishing up God's Promise this year, Will start God's Battle)

Memory Work - Linguisitic Development through Poetry Memorization

-  Bible verses

I think that is everything!

Would love SQUILT and SCM Picture Study.....one day!

Edited by Jacbeaumont
  • Like 1

Here's our plan so far!

Daily work:

Math: CLE 2

Writing: WWE1/2

Latin: Prima Latina

Bible: possibly MP's Christian Studies, still debating this

Memory work: scripture and linguistic development through poetry memorization

Weekly:

History: SOTW 3 and AG

Science: Mystery Science with lots of library books and note booking

Geography: Evan moor daily geography

Literature: Greek and Norse myths study plus lots of family read alouds and poetry

CM style artist and composer study

• Like 1

I haven't been thinking much beyond tomorrow, but here's my general plan.  It is kind of relaxed because we only do a few subjects a day together (and my son's awesome grandparents help me out by each teaching one class).  We use Barefoot Meandering's Wayfarers as a general guideline.

ELA: ELTL (with limited memory work), add in other poetry and reading aloud for fun when we can

Reading: RLTL and reading leveled readers from the library

Math: Math-U-See Alpha/Beta

Science: Quark Chronicles Anatomy, not sure what else (if anything else), maybe go back over Botany and Zoology at a higher level

History/Bible: SOTW and Lessons with Grandpa

Gym: not sure yet ... we have been doing Parkour Lessons and Swimming Lessons, but not sure if we can make it to those lessons next year

Arts: Lessons with Grandma and occasional field trips and/or music appreciation

Health: Try using Primal Kids, continue research approach to various health topics if it goes well this year

Library: Keep going twice a month and read / research

Co-Op: THIS is our new thing for 2nd grade and I'm excited about it ... parents teach some classes, so I might teach Geography (something we wanted to do in 1st grade but it never really happened)

Other: my son recently got interested in Chess, so I'm hoping to continue developing that (maybe with Co-Op??) ... or, another interest if another one comes along by then

The Claritas Memory Work and SQUILT look interesting too ... I'll have to do some research.

• Like 1

Updated 13/02 Updated 26/02

Continue with Complete Education Australia Moving to FIAR

Maybe continue with Miquon Easy Peasy Math. Kitchen Table Math + Life of Fred, Move to Beast Academy Later On. Transferring to Rightstart for whole family, Imaths to cover Grade Level Standards.

Topic Based Activity Bags "Showbags" I do up for her (pretty much an activity based unit study, she loves them)

Exploration of Art Techniques & Media, maybe add Artventure

Rebecca Rupp's Home Learning Year by Year, Twinkl,

Anti Coloring Books & Tin Man Press

Board Games, DIY Games and basically lots of games

Reading Time (HappyPhonics/Charlotte Mason)

Core Knowledge & Some Activity Books

Janice VanCleaves Books, Backyard Scientist and Various other Science Books

Cooking

Read Alouds

Bravewriter Lifestyle with rest of family. Literacy Planet, Skwirk (to cover standards)

RIC Health (to cover standards)

UU Programs: Our Whole Lives & Sexuality and Our Faith

Critical Thinking Workbook

Auslan

Swimming

Brainpop

Chickadee Magazine

We go to the Theater monthly, and have some sort of other ed event every month.

She also loves hanging around and listening/coloring whilst her soon-to-be 6th Grade sister does school, so she naturally picks up stuff from that (SOTW, shakespeare, math, etc)

Edited by Ecclecticmum
  • Like 1

Language: MP Prima Latina

Math: Singapore Math Standards 2A/B (W/ CWP, EP)

Language Arts: Seton 2 English, Rod & Staff 3 Spelling, Zaner Bloser Cursive 3, Cottage Press Primer 2, WWE 1-2

Literature: MP Guides of Sarah Noble, Beatrix Potter, Little House in the Big Woods, Mr. Popper's Penguins, Blue Fairy Book, A Bear Called Paddington; SOTW 1

History: MP Stories of Great Americans for Little Americans book (but using Kolbe Q&A guide); Maps Charts & Graphs C

Science: MP Mammals; Abeka Health

Reading: MP Read Aloud & Science set, MP Enrichment guide (includes arts, music, poetry)

Religion: Seton 2 Religion, First Communion preparation, Seton 4 Bible History

Karate, Music class (w/ Dad), Blue Knights Club, CSH Arts

Morning Basket for all boys: Morning Payer, Baltimore Catechism Q&A, Saint story, CSH Y3

Edited by Ambrosia
  • Like 1

My youngest (of five children) is going into 2nd grade next year!!!

Bible, History: My FatherĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s World Exploration to 1850 (with siblings)
Science: Botany, Zoology (with siblings)
Math: Singapore Math 1A/1B (or 1B/2A if she's ready)
Language Arts: Language Lessons for Today 2, Spelling by Sound and Structure 2
Foreign Language: Getting Started with Spanish (with siblings)
Music: Composer CD Study (with siblings) and Piano Lessons

Extras: Gymnastics, Weekly PE Group, American Heritage Girls, Awana

• Like 1

Miquon Math. Rod and Staff math 3

Chinese Made Easy for Kids 2

Writing with ease 2

First language lesson 2

OLVS spelling and handwriting 2

OLVS religion 2

SOTW 2

Mater Amabilis Level 1B literature selections

Science books from library with emphasis on increasing length and details on oral narrations

LA- WWE 1, HTTS, Oral Reading from Pathway Readers & Various books, RAs, IR - I'll just have her pull from our shelves and the library.

Math- Horizons 2- might try her on BA if they get some gr. 2 books published on schedule

History- SoTW 1 w/ big sister

Science- Mystery Science

Art- Artistic Pursuits- k-3 bk 3

Music Appreciation- SQUILT

Family time- PE, Poetry, Nature Study & Philosophy

I'd like to get in more Art & Music as I have not done well with that this year- not sure why- last year I did awesome. I've considered buying some MP Enrichment supplies but I've yet to decide if I'd actually use them.

ETA- I just bought her Artistic Pursuits :) found a copy for $5 so I went for it :)

So, I finally went and checked out Cottage Press and I am very, very tempted. I like that it is all the LA incorporated into one program. I was going to use HTTS w workbooks for spelling b/c I have them but I'm not so thrilled about it (and worry about keeping with it). Unlike my older two she is a natural speller so I think CM type methods would work just fine for her. I love the included nature study, she follows along with big sister but I like some that is a bit for just her and somewhat independent(she loves independent work).  I've also considered that I'd like her to do a bit more writing than what is in WWE but I don't want some huge proram.

I'm also reconsidering Math, she started the year with RS, we toughed it out about half-way through the year but it wasn't a good fit for her, too much orally, too few worksheets. I went back to Horizons as I had it on hand but thinking more long term I think perhaps I ought to reconsider. We are going to try MiF again, we finished K level the first few months of K and she loved it but hit a snag when she tried to move onto 1st so we went sideways doing various other things. 

• Like 1

So, I finally went and checked out Cottage Press and I am very, very tempted. I like that it is all the LA incorporated into one program. I was going to use HTTS w workbooks for spelling b/c I have them but I'm not so thrilled about it (and worry about keeping with it). Unlike my older two she is a natural speller so I think CM type methods would work just fine for her. I love the included nature study, she follows along with big sister but I like some that is a bit for just her and somewhat independent(she loves independent work).  I've also considered that I'd like her to do a bit more writing than what is in WWE but I don't want some huge proram.

I love the Cottage Press Primer series. Especially for kids that like workbooks with parents who like less workbooky things. The grammar and nature study is very light (which I appreciate), and "picture study" is not remotely intensive. The extras are easy to skip, or easy to do, depending on whatever you've got going on that day.

I love the Cottage Press Primer series. Especially for kids that like workbooks with parents who like less workbooky things. The grammar and nature study is very light (which I appreciate), and "picture study" is not remotely intensive. The extras are easy to skip, or easy to do, depending on whatever you've got going on that day.

That quote is the perfect descriptor of us. My girls(at least the older 2- the younger is too young) love workbooks, me not so much :) 

That quote is the perfect descriptor of us. My girls(at least the older 2- the younger is too young) love workbooks, me not so much :)

So, I checked RR and they had the Teacher's Book on bargain so I picked it up along with the Primer 1 fall (along with other books I needed for free shipping). So, we'll try it out and see how we like it, I think it could be a great fit for her. In the end I guess we'll love it or hate it :)

Edited by soror
  • Like 2

DD will be in second grade next year...

Phonics: AAR3

Reading- Pick books from a mommy made list

Spelling: Apples & Pears

Writing-???

Math- Singapore

History-SOTW3 tag along with older brother

Science- Book Shark

Art- Home Art Studio

P.E.-Soccer and Gymnastics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

My youngest is going into second this year. Such a bittersweet thing!

Reading: MP literature for second and any other book she wants; she loves to read

Phonics/spelling: combination of AAS, spelling workout (she loves the workbook), and core skills phonics...as much or as little as she wants, but she will finish it all I'm sure.

FLL, because she loves it!

Math: Math Mammoth and BA when it comes out

Handwriting: I don't know for sure. She started cursive this year but her manuscript could use some work and I don't care for the program she's in so switching that up somehow.

Science: Abeka workbook we have on hand and following along with her older siblings in BJU. I also have some cat in the hat books and whatever else we pick up along the way.

Latin: I was planning on Prima Latina but reconsiding song school Latin, because it seems fun and light and right up yet alley!

History/Bible: Biblioplan and the Golden Children's bible, year 2.

Edited by mamamoose
  • Like 2

Bible: BSGFAA (going to try intermediate student pages)

Math: MM2, Xtra Math, Process Skills in Problem Solving 

Reading: finish AAR2/AAR3

Literature: BYL 2 & 4 read alouds

Spelling: AAS2 (maybe AAS 3)

Vocabulary: Wordly Wise 3000 Book 2

Writing: IEW People and Places in Our Community Theme Book

Grammar: Evan Moor Grammar & Punctuation Grade 2, Evan Moor Daily Language Review Grade 2

Handwriting: Universal Handwriting Manuscript/Intro to Cursive Grade 2

Science: Mystery Science, Evan Moor Daily Science Grade 2

History: SOTW Volume 2 w/ Activity Guide (using BYL 2)

Geography: Evan Moor Daily Geography Practice Grade 2 

Latin: GSWL

Extras: BYL 2 Art/Poetry study, Mind Benders, typing.com, weekly co-op (starting in September)

Edited by Vintage81
  • Like 1

Switching from strictly Charlotte Mason to a more of a Latin Centered Curriculum Mindset 

Memoria Press Second Grade Core ( I love the core I am just thinking to do more narration and less comprehension questions)

Memoria Press Grade 2 enrichment w/ Narrtions

Song School Spanish

Simply Charlotte Mason's Journaling a Year in Nature

Night Time Read Alouds- Probably Pulled from Ambleside

Family Morning Time- Long Story Short, Hymns, Psalm Recitation, Catechism

• Like 1

I think we are all planned out. :)

HIstory/Bible/Science/Spelling - HOD Beyond (she will likely finish by December and start Bigger at that point)

Grammar - Growing with Grammar 2

Math- Singapore 2A/2B

Literature - reading through level 2 DITHOR books

Writing - writing class at co-op

Music - either violin at co-op or piano

PE - either karate or dance and of course playing outside

Our plans are simple but this works so well for us. Both girls are back in HOD and we finally have a nice little groove going.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this back up for others who are just thinking of next year. :)

Also, I think we've made our final selections.  Here was my thought:

Still not sure about anything yet, but here goes:

LA - ELTL with a possible unit from MBTP when we get to February.

Math - ........um...I don't know.  We'll figure this out more at the end of the year and be able to create a more formal plan. 

Science - I'm leaning toward My Pals Are Here as a base, while giving him all the freedom he wants for unit studies.

History - toss up between SOTW 2 and History At Our House (he really likes the teacher there)

Foreign language - Duolingo for Spanish, Latin's Not So Tough level 1, and I'm not sure for French.  I'd like a different style program to eliminate confusion.

Music - Violin

Art - Artistic Pursuits book 2

Now:

LA:

ELTL 2

NAC book 2 (still up in the air on this one, whether it would be overkill or not)
Math:

Beast Academy 3

Life of Fred continuing at Honey or Ice Cream

Science:

My Pals Are Here 3, unit studies, museums

History:

SOTW 2

Foreign Language:
Lingua Latina/Minimus

ASL combination of book from our class and Signing Time Sentences

Duolingo/ Y Tu! Spanish textbook

Music:
Violin

Art:

Artistic Pursuits book 2
Logic/critical thinking:

Mind Benders

Think A Minutes A1

• Like 1

Here is what I am thinking for second grade this fall. DS is my oldest and I still question myself if I am doing this "right"!

Language Arts: FLL 2, WWE

still looking into spelling, but I know he would prefer just a book of word lists, with no workbook

Handwriting: Zaner-Bloser 2C

Math: Singapore 3A/3B

History/Geography/Literature/ Science: We are using Wayfarers as a guide and doing Ancients the 2017 calendar year, beginning Medieval January 2018

Art- Daddy-led, involving painting a lot of D & D minis and drawing board games, I think. I am also having the kids do a little from Barry Stebbing's I Can Do All Things, just so they are getting some basics, too

Music: I am hoping this is the year to begin piano lessons, but we will see

PE: City Parks and Rec

• Like 1

I think we're pretty much set (3rd second grader):

History/Geography: Sonlight C (world history part 2)

Science: interest led - right now we're doing microbiology for as long as she wants, but I also have Sonlight science C and NOEO Biology 2

Math: finish Singapore 3, and move to 4 and BA 3

LA: Continue MCT Island

Reading: Interest led

Other: violin, American Heritage Girls, hopefully some art, interest led

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So, I checked RR and they had the Teacher's Book on bargain so I picked it up along with the Primer 1 fall (along with other books I needed for free shipping). So, we'll try it out and see how we like it, I think it could be a great fit for her. In the end I guess we'll love it or hate it :)

quoting myself to say we've had this for a bit and are now half-way through week 3.

I am a bit torn on this program. I don't know that we will stick with it long term although as of now we are continuing to work on it. I like the nature study & artist study of Primer & the spelling work is fine. 

the big cons to me are-

(1)too much drawing- I prefer the narration work of WWE, throughout the entire book they only draw narrations, which dd is already tired of, I like the incremental steps in WWE working them from oral retelling slowly and then written narration.

(2)copywork varies wildly in length. I much prefer the WWE approach of copywork correlated with narration. Yesterday there was a passage from Anne of Green Gables, 4 lines long or something but only 1 sentence, way too much for 2nd grade. It just doesn't match up at all when you have simple narration passages from Winter's Aesop's Fable. Yesterday I just pulled a sentence from the fable itself for copywork.

I downloaded a (free) copy of The Good & Beautiful Grade 2, we might use parts of it. She is a pretty good reader but I wouldn't mind some more work here.

So, perhaps a tenative plan is to continue with Primer for the rest of the year, doing it as we see fit. Changing copy work and doing written instead of oral narration.

Next year doing WWE2 as I like the narration work in it far and above anything else I've seen and sing Good&Beautiful for reading & spelling. With G&B being free I can cut out whatever I want without guilt but if I find it really worthwhile I might buy a physical copy.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'm finally getting around to planning for next year.  Here is what I have so far for my upcoming 2nd grader!

Math - Singapore 2, Miquon, maybe Beast Academy 2 as a fun supplement from time to time

Reading/Spelling/Grammar - leaning towards Cottage Press Primers, otherwise FLL, classic books, no idea for spelling (we didn't really do spelling this year)

Writing - we might do a few Brave Writer projects

Science - Mystery Science

History - middle ages History Odyssey with 4th grade brother

logic - Logic Safari, Logic Countidown

Spanish - start Duolingo, maybe add Song School Spanish

Bible - we're enjoying our first Grapevine unit, I think we'll do more of that next year.  We do this as a group.

music - start piano lessons

art - ??  (We've been just doing projects off Pinterest, will probably keep doing that, lol)

PE - dance class, maybe start TKD

• Like 1

For my daughter who loves art and hands on activities:

Math: Horizons Math 2, LOF and Math Club at Co-op

LA: Sequential Spelling, Cahier D'ecriture (cursive), FLL 2 (already about halfway through it), lots of library books

History: Mom-made American History and Geography

Science: Marine Science class at Co-op (taught by me!), Unit studies with notebooking, Steve Spangler kits

Writing: Daily journaling, written narration notebook

Art: Watercolor class, knitting and Home Art Studio

French: Skoldo and mom-made study

Music: Piano with Dad

Plus our Friday co-op, gymnastics and swimming 

Edited by Dramorellis
  • Like 1

I'll start a second grade planning thread :laugh:

Abeka Phonics and Spelling 2

Shurley 2

WWE 2

Singapore 2A/2B

Math Lesson for a Living Education 3

VP Legends and Leagues

VP NTGR

VP Judges through Kings Self paced

BB Science in the Ancient World

Salsa and Song School Spanish (although we may outsource next year)

Song School Latin

Outsource Art and Music

Most of these things I'm pretty set on, others I may change depending on if we see a class that sparks our interest.

I find it humorous that I said "most of these things I'm pretty set on" because I've changed so much Ă°Å¸Â¤Â£

I am now leaning towards R&S Phonics and Spelling 2.

I changed my mind from Shurley 2, to R&S English 3, to Cottage Press Primer 2. Just last night, my oldest told me he likes Shurley and wants to use it again.

We are nixing BB Science in the Ancient World. Oldest wants to study Earth Science, Ecology, Botany.

We are completely nixing Latin for next year, and we are outsourcing Spanish.

• Like 1

Well, haven't things changed a bunch in 2 months.  I'm still planning to use MUS for Math, but almost everything else is up for grabs.  Looking at Cottage Press Primer, REAL Science Odyssey, and Mosaic.  If anyone else has feedback on those (especially comparing them to ELTL, Quark, and regular SOTW), I would love to hear it!

I haven't been thinking much beyond tomorrow, but here's my general plan.  It is kind of relaxed because we only do a few subjects a day together (and my son's awesome grandparents help me out by each teaching one class).  We use Barefoot Meandering's Wayfarers as a general guideline.

ELA: ELTL (with limited memory work), add in other poetry and reading aloud for fun when we can

Reading: RLTL and reading leveled readers from the library

Math: Math-U-See Alpha/Beta

Science: Quark Chronicles Anatomy, not sure what else (if anything else), maybe go back over Botany and Zoology at a higher level

History/Bible: SOTW and Lessons with Grandpa

Gym: not sure yet ... we have been doing Parkour Lessons and Swimming Lessons, but not sure if we can make it to those lessons next year

Arts: Lessons with Grandma and occasional field trips and/or music appreciation

Health: Try using Primal Kids, continue research approach to various health topics if it goes well this year

Library: Keep going twice a month and read / research

Co-Op: THIS is our new thing for 2nd grade and I'm excited about it ... parents teach some classes, so I might teach Geography (something we wanted to do in 1st grade but it never really happened)

Other: my son recently got interested in Chess, so I'm hoping to continue developing that (maybe with Co-Op??) ... or, another interest if another one comes along by then

The Claritas Memory Work and SQUILT look interesting too ... I'll have to do some research.

• Like 2

We'll switch from 1st to 2nd in May...

• Math...Homemade, after finishing Arithmetic Village
  • A pile of books/documentaries/audiobooks
  • mapwork
  • Cottage Press primers
  • a science/history/mythology notebook
  • What Do You See picture study
  • POSSIBLY claritas memory work set
  • Poetry memorization

NOPE. Evidently DS has his own ideas now <3

Arithmetic Village into either Strayer Upton or CLE

The Good and The Beautiful

Content MLB with booklist and documentaries

• 1 month later...

Mostly not a clue yet, but...

History: SOTW with older brother. Probably part of book 2 and part of book 3, with a few library books on the side (but nowhere near as many as the gonna-be 5th grader).

Dutch: Continue with Rosetta Stone and Hotel Hallo.

Latin: Quite probably do the Big Book of Lively Latin along with older brother.

Math: probably Life of Fred and MEP.

Spelling: AAS.

PE: probably swim&gym.

Geography: Scholastic Success with Maps Grade 4

Science: Mystery Science?

Writing: Writing Through Medieval History Level 1 - Cursive (or level 2 - I bought these last summer and just didn't do as much history as intended, but he's been practicing cursive for a couple of years now, so, we'll see - he's currently doing Cursive Writing Around the World in 26 Letters).

Art: Art for Kids Hub?

Music: Not a clue... the kid wants to play the double bass (ha ha, yeah, not at the 6.75yo he'll be at the start of 2nd grade), although he's thinks he also likes the saxophone, or maybe the guitar, or the cello, or something - I don't know where we'll be this fall though, so I don't know about lessons.

Grammar: No clue - he's been doing a little of Khan Academy grammar, but that's not ideal.

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 1

Oh fun! :)

I am not sure if I have it completely nailed down just yet but here is what I have so far...

Phonics: A beka language 2

Grammar: FLL2 and CPP1 (going to try both...we will see how it goes....)

Spelling: Spelling you See C

Cursive: continuing in Reason for Writing T (I don't love it but until we have a better cursive option we are rolling with it)

History: American History (cobblestoned together by me with lots of lit)

Science: Elemental Grammar Chemistry with some ROS labs thrown in

Latin: Songschool Latin 1

Geography: Cantering the Country and Draw the USA (with books thrown in)

Math: continuing with our Horizons 2 and Singapore 2A and 2B hybrid. It is working well so far.

Art: Meet the Masters B and C and she is taking musical theater at our choice program

Music: she will be taking piano and our choice program and continuing with recorder

PE: she is doing soccer again and wants to do karate at our choice program.

Computer: typing instructor for kids platinum and kodable (for early programming)

Elective at home: she is interested in sewing so I am trying to put together a sewing elective but REALLY struggling. Throw math and science at me and I am golden but sewing causes me to lose sleep at night haha!

• Like 1

I find it humorous that I said "most of these things I'm pretty set on" because I've changed so much Ă°Å¸Â¤Â£

I am now leaning towards R&S Phonics and Spelling 2.

I changed my mind from Shurley 2, to R&S English 3, to Cottage Press Primer 2. Just last night, my oldest told me he likes Shurley and wants to use it again.

We are nixing BB Science in the Ancient World. Oldest wants to study Earth Science, Ecology, Botany.

We are completely nixing Latin for next year, and we are outsourcing Spanish.

My biggest point of frustration at the moment is Language Arts.

I want to purchase Cottage Press Primer, but I am hesitant.

I already own Simply Grammar, WWE 2, and Uncovering the Logic of English (which I was going to use as a guide for spelling through prepared dication).

So, I don't know, it's Simply Grammar/WWE 2/Uncovering the Logic of English vs. Cottage Press.

Everything else has been purchased, so I am sticking with the following

MLFLE 3 and Singapore 2A/2B

VP Self Paced Bible

VP History (you teach) NTGR

VP Legends and Leagues

Master Books Soil, Sea, and Sky

Artistic Pursuits

Possibly outsourcing Spanish

• Like 1