2017--2018 --5th Grade Planning

Soror

This is what I've got so far:

Math: Continue Math on the Level

Literature: Self-made book list

Writing: Continue working through IEW SWI-A

History: A History of US

Science: Reading and projects from Steven Caney's Ultimate Building Book

Art Appreciation: Why Is Art Full of Naked People? (possibly also A Child's History of Art: Painting)

PE: Continue golf and swimming lessons, try to get him out to the local climbing gym

Between DS's hormones and mine, this year has been a bit rough, and therefore lighter academically than originally planned. So depending on how things go, I may add back in some subjects we've let go this year: Latin (Lively Latin), music (SQUILT) and spelling (Sequential Spelling). 

• 2 weeks later...

A few things are a bit clearer now!

Well, it's early, but now I'm intrigued and thinking about it so....

Logic: ??? Maybe Blast Off with Logic. We'll start with Logic Countdown and see how she likes it.

Math: She'll continue with Life of Fred. Probably finish this year with J, so we'll do K, L, M and then jump into Fractions. Supplement with Khan Academy. I'm now thinking she'll finish this year with Honey, so she'll do Ice Cream-Mineshaft next year and probably have to wait on Fractions till the year after.

History: SOTW2, supplement with You Wouldn't Want To..., Horrible Histories, and the OUP primary sources volume. 

Science: Continue with BFSU. We are hoping to complete Vol. 1 by the end of this year, pick up with Vol. 2.  I think we won't finish Vol. 1 this year. We've averaged like 2 BFSU lessons per month since January  :closedeyes:

Reading: Mostly the reading list from WTM 6th grade, with a few alterations--her attention span isn't good enough for the really challenging stuff yet.

Spelling: AAS 5 and 6, maybe moving on to 7

Grammar: FLL 4

Writing: We're going to try Kilgallon--she is getting sick of WWE.

Foreign Languages: Still considering a followup to GSWL for Latin. Any recommendations appreciated. I received a few different recommendations! I think Familia Romana is what we'll go with. 

We'll continue with the free Easy Japanese lessons from NHK, and probably begin working on Kanji using Heisig's Remembering the Kanji method. For Chinese... not sure yet. Our Chinese study this year hasn't exactly been rigorous and I'm worried about loss of fluency, but we don't have money to pay a native speaker tutor and my only Chinese-speaking friend just had a baby and isn't easy to schedule regular visits with.

Art/Music: We'll study art with history. Art skills, the kids enjoy Mark Kistler's videos on Youtube and it's not a priority so we'll probably just keep doing that. I was planning on getting both of our violins repaired and beginning to teach her this year, but budget constraints made that impossible, so maybe this year it'll happen. Music appreciation, we'll just keep watching Youtube videos of orchestra performances, hopefully make it to the movie theater to see a Met simulcast or ballet, etc.

Faith Formation: The Bible Tells Me So: A Year of Catechizing Directly From Scripture by Christian LeBlanc.

• 2 weeks later...

Still working through options, but this is where things stand right now:

Bible: ??? Either Bible Study Guide for All Ages or some kind of personal devotional guide

Handwriting: Reason for Handwriting E

Math: Singapore Standards 5A/5B and hopefully Beast Academy 4C/4D/5A

Reading: BJU Reading 5 plus literature selections

Spelling: ??? (This one is always hard for me and my natural speller.) Thinking about Megawords this year.

Vocab: Vocabulary from the Classical Roots?

Grammar: R&S 5 OR Advanced Language Lessons

Writing: Writing & Rhetoric 4 & 5 (Chreia/Proverb and Refutation/Confirmation)

History: Notgrass Adam to Us, first half (his pick; he loved America the Beautiful this year)

Geography: Legends & Leagues North (done independently)

Science: Sonlight E (Physics focus) plus some Lego robotics and bird study

Latin: Latin for Children B

Health: Abeka probably (to check this box for Pennsylvania)

Art: ??? Mark Kistler lessons for part; not sure what else. Artist study?

Music: ??? Private piano lessons and something else. Composer study? Squilt?

PE: Hiking, biking, bowling, swimming

Other, as time allows: Mind Benders, Life of Fred 

Bible: Logos bible study

Math: Redbird Mathematics

LA: Fix it grammar, IEW Medieval, Touch Type Read & Spell,  Spectrum Vocab, Mensa reading list.

Art: Artistic Pursuits

Music:Guitar lessons

Latin: Minimus

edited for complete overhaul of plans.

Edited by rebcoola

Math-CLE 500, Sing. CWP, xtra math

Science-Mystery science (with siblings) and non-fiction books

History-From Sea to Shining Sea (Catholic textbook project) with daily lesson plans from CHC

Grammar-Fix it grammar (new to us)

Writing-IEW A (new to us)

Vocabulary-Vocabulit

Reading-maybe CLE? (still deciding whether I want to do this or not...)

Religion-Faith and Life 5

Literature-book list from mom

Logic and other-Mindbenders, Building Thinking Skills, and Maps, Charts, Graphs

He also will take art, music and P.E. at a local Catholic School

Edited by Meadowlark

• 3 weeks later...

In the middle of planning so this could change at any minute.

Math:​ Horizons 5

History:​ SOTW 1 with more reading, projects, and deeper study this time around.

Geography:​ Tying in with SOTW and thinking about doing some unit studies on other countries/cultures with ds.

Science:​ Apologia Zoology 2 w/Notebook and Lab. Still trying to find something to cover Plant & Anatomy. I was considering Creek Edge Press Life Sciences Task Cards for this. But that adds up to a lot spend on Science alone. :glare: 

Grammar:​ Hake 5 -Grammar only

Writing:​ Heh. Trying to decide between CAP W&R 2&3 and IEW Ancients.

​Spelling/Vocab:​ Dd has requested we keep "doing our own thing" for this.

​Art/Music:​ Discovering Great Artists and Meet the Great Composers. Both of which I bought for last year and never used :closedeyes: 

Misc:​ The Easy French, something for Bible, Co-op, Poetry teatime (and other bits of Bravewriter), Reading list and maybe some Lit guides.

• 2 weeks later...

Math: planning on trying AOPS Pre-Algebra, with LOF Pre-Algebra 1 & 2 on the side (currently almost finished LOF Fractions).

Writing: CAP W&R Narrative II and Chreia & Proverb? (currently still in Fable). Nope, just started Killgallon's Elementary Sentence Composing after we finished Fable. Will see how that goes - may do Paragraph Composing after that, and then maybe CAP W&R Narrative I? 

Spelling: AAS.

History: SOTW, probably part of book 2 and part of book 3, with library books on the side. Also need to think about the whole outlining thing.

Science: don't know. Mystery Science? And maybe Duke TIP's Medicine, Science, Epidemiology course, and/or maybe McHenry's The Brain?

Art: don't know. I'm thinking some sort of perspective drawing, since he's complaining drawing is for little kids. 

Music: probably continue guitar. Probably NOT continue guitar. A local music school has some class where kids try out different instruments that he's interested in, and I would've signed him up for this May/June, but we're moving - I'm sure they'll offer it again in the fall though, so maybe that and then see where that leads.

Dutch: continue with Rosetta Stone & Hotel Hallo.

Latin: Big Book of Lively Latin.

Reading: books, articles from Newsela, maybe Figuratively Speaking (not sure what subject to count that as).

Grammar: continue with Time for Kids Grammar Rules! and englishgrammar101.com.

PE: probably swim&gym.

Speech therapy.

Geography: maybe Zombie-Based Geography. Well, I bought it, so ZBG it is.

I also want to do some more life skills kind of things - more cooking, etc.

This is what my 5th grader did this year:

CLE math 500s + preplexors for fun + xtramath.com

CLE reading 500s + autobiographies to go with history

VP self paced history

Apologia Exploring Creation science book

How to teach spelling

R & S Grammar 5 (a bit less than 1/2 of it)

Mapping the World by Heart

Spanish

Typing.com

I also want to do some more life skills kind of things - more cooking, etc.

And I was considering working our way through The Accounting Game (by Mullis & Orloff) - I dug it up thinking it might be good for Celery next year, and I found him looking at it already... not that I think he'd get much out of it on his own. I'm having a hard time assessing grade level though, as it's written for grown-ups, but in a silly childish way. So anyway, we'll probably give it a try - accounting is in his blood (both his grandfathers are CPAs (more or less - my dad's title is a little different, what with being Dutch), my mom was a bookkeeper for a while, and I got As in ACCT 2401 & 2402. I actually bought the book when I was taking those classes - I figured I could use it with my kid later... the question is, is "later" "this coming school year"? 

Math--- Saxon 6/5 (5/4 has worked really well for her this year so we will be continuing on with the series)

English---

Composition- CAP's W&R- Narrative 1&2 & Grammar WoL;

Spelling- Apples & Pears B; Oral Reading- McGuffey's 4th Reader 

Lit- Journey's through Bookland- 2 (and maybe 3); daily reading from shelf (books I picked) & 3-4 assigned books for year

Classics- RA

History- SoTW 1 w/ Activity Book & extra reading (tbd)

Science- Mystery Science & Nature Study

Art- Artistic Pursuits 4/5 Bk. 1

Extras- Family PE; Scouts; Family Poetry Time(maybe with MP Poetry); Figuratively Speaking & Philosophy for Children for discussion

Edit #2

She tried CLE did 501, decided to go back to Saxon, it really does work well, I think she just needed a break from it. We went ahead and started 6/5- I think we will take 1 day a week to do something else next year, what I'm not sure yet. I've decided to do unit studies with the kids this year instead of just straight up nature study, we'll stress outdoor time more when the weather is the nicest. I'm thinking about making survival skills a class and inviting others, having local experts come to talk to us but I'm not sure and my plate is VERY full right now. She will do whatever Mystery Science units correspond with our study on her own.

Math--- Saxon 6/5 

English---

Composition- CAP's W&R- Narrative 1&2 & Grammar FLL4

Spelling- Apples & Pears B;  Reading- Rewards Reading(first part of year)

Lit- Daily reading time- Mom assigned book list and her choice and classics RA

Science- Mystery Science & Family Unit Studies- dinosaurs/evolution, survival skills(maps, gps, edible plants- botany, animal tracking, etc), entymology, chemistry(Elements)

Extras- Family PE; Scouts; Family Poetry Time(maybe with MP Poetry); Figuratively Speaking & Philosophy for Children for discussion

Edited by soror

Okay, after placing my order I have to switch some things around..

​Math:​ Horizons 5

​Science: ​Apologia Swimming Creatures w/Lab Kit and notebooking journal. Creek Edge Press Task Cards-Life Science

​History: ​SOTW 1 with SWB 5th grade instructions to beef it up a bit

​Geography: ​Knowledge Quest Map Trek, Unit studies and Culture studies

​Vocab: ​Doing our own thing. (Pulling words from our different readings)

Writing/Grammar:​ Treasured Conversations

​Also have some things leftover from last year that we are going to try to fit in (French, Art, Music, Bible) plus reading lists, field trips and a bit of nature study. I've yet to hammer down on a complete plan but the above curriculum has been ordered so... Happy dance :hurray: 

Ok, here are some of my rough ideas... some are clearer than others, but right now I'm still in brainstorm mode.  

I want to create a literary homeschool (vs. history or STEM based, KWIM?)  I also would really like to make the school run based on a series of habitual activities that, often times, the two big kids and do on auto-pilot, because I will also have a K'r and a 3yo asking for my time.  

Some things that are clear:

math: AOPS, 45 minutes a day to start (I set a timer).  I stay nearby for questions, but we are working towards independence.  

French LA: Combined with dd, this covers grammar, conjugation, and French spelling.  

Audio book at lunch:  We always do this, we love it.

WWS1 (half speed if necessary)

History: continue working through French texts

Science: Story of Science, Private Eye, and some projects from Scholastic workbook

Some things I am thinking about:

45 minute reading block from "academic shelf"- this contains pre-selected books from history and science, and Life of Fred.  After reading, dc should note on a prepared form date, book title, and number of pages.  On this form I also want to have a spot for "topics of interest"/"things to learn more about" and possibly "dates for timeline"

1-2x a week, time for investigating questions from above form and/or developing a larger project (aka Project Based Homeschooling)

45 minutes reading block from "Lit shelf"- another collection of pre-selected books, this time fiction titles

Scriptorium:  A 20 minute writing block, 1-2x a week for copywork of choice into a commonplace book.  Alternately, I might require a number of passages rather than setting a scheduled time.  We'll see.  I want them to develop the skill of "noticing" worthwhile things to copy.  

Memorization:  This keeps getting forgotten, even though I keep thinking how important it is.  Sigh!

Mapwork: Use the freehandmaps.com videos, independent work several times per week.

I figure I'll probably go to a checklist-type system for the two oldest...  

Anyway, the wheels in my head are turning, but not necessarily gripping the road...   :lol:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Math: Saxon 7/6

Science: Earth Science & Astronomy (Elemental Science Logic Stage) and Handbook of Nature Study Guest Hollow Botany

History: BF Ancient History Intermediate, K12 Human Odyssey Vol. 1  K12 Human Odyssey Vol. 1 Book, Student Guides, and homemade reading list.  This will work well because he'd like to cover Ancient and Medieval History in one year, and then do BYL's History of Science in 6th grade

English: Rod & Staff English 6, Writing with Skill 1, Ancient and Medieval Literature

Foreign Lang: Second Form Latin and Elementary Greek 1 (Memoria Press) He really wants to add French as well, and doesn't want to wait.  He doesn't see any problem with doing 3 languages at once  :huh:

Breaking the Barrier French 1

Music: Piano and Guitar

Soccer

4-H: Beef Cattle, Shooting Sports, Gardening, Conservation & Wildlife, maybe Forestry

What a mess  :tongue_smilie:.  

Science: Guest Hollow Botany

History: K12 Human Odyssey Vol. 1 with student guides

English: Rod & Staff English 6, Writing with Skill 1 

Lit: Short list of ancient and medieval lit, since he'll be reading a lot for botany

Foreign Language: Second Form Latin

Elementary Greek 2

Art: Ever Ancient Ever New

We'll know in June hopefully what the co-op schedule for next year is.  If he takes any classes there they will be things like junk drawer robotics or elementary PE, nothing that should change his core academic plan.  We also need to continue with Bible, The Fallacy Detective, etc.  I think we may do those together on Sunday afternoons or something.  

My goal for my rising 5th grader:

Math: SM 5

Writing: Classical Composition; Fables

Grammar, Vocabulary, Poetry: MCT Island Level

Spelling: AAS 5

Literature: K-12's Literature 5, plus lots of reading

History: K-12's Human Odyssey, Vol. 1 w/ notebooking

Science: biology through living books list

Latin: Getting Started w/ Latin

plus piano & art lessons, swim team

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, after placing my order I have to switch some things around..

​Math:​ Horizons 5

​Science: ​Apologia Swimming Creatures w/Lab Kit and notebooking journal. Creek Edge Press Task Cards-Life Science

​History: ​SOTW 1 with SWB 5th grade instructions to beef it up a bit

​Geography: ​Knowledge Quest Map Trek, Unit studies and Culture studies

​Vocab: ​Doing our own thing. (Pulling words from our different readings)

Writing/Grammar:​ Treasured Conversations

​Also have some things leftover from last year that we are going to try to fit in (French, Art, Music, Bible) plus reading lists, field trips and a bit of nature study. I've yet to hammer down on a complete plan but the above curriculum has been ordered so... Happy dance :hurray:

Would you mind either elaborating or linking the thread where I can find this? thank you.

Dd (10) will be doing the following:

MATH:  MM 4B and MM 5

ENGLISH: Grammar Voyage, Galore Park Jr. Book 3,

POETRY: Harp and the Laurel Wreath

SPELLING & VOCABULARY: Spelling City using words culled from Natural Speller

SCIENCE: A Child's Geography: Explore His Earth by Ann Voskamp

HISTORY: Story of the World 3: Early Modern Times

LITERATURE: Reading silently, reading aloud, and answering questions, a book report or two

GEOGRAPHY: Evan-Moor Seven Continents: South America

ART: w/Dad

SPANISH: Duolingo and 10 Minutes a Day: Spanish

I don't think I added mine:

My fifth grader will do -

Bookshark 4 (second half American History)

The Good and the Beautiful LA 4

Some of MCT Town level

States and Capitals

Beast Academy 4B through wherever we get

NOEO Chemistry 2

Violin

American Heritage Girls

Working out the bugs:

Math:

Finish BJU DLO Math 4

Complete BJU DL Math 5

Grammar:

I did not like the BJU English I bought so I'm thinking either FLL 3 where we left off (if I can remember what lesson that was) or the new WTM Grammar 1

Writing:

This was the other reason i did not like the BJU English. Just Ugg! So we are doing WWE 3/4

Spelling:

BJU DL Spelling 4

Literature:

Book units form Confessions of a Homeschooler

History:

k12

Science:

Still debating between BJU or k12. My dh is not thrilled with BJU as it seems to try to use science to prove that the Bible is true. He wants one that is more focused on the scientific method. I just want one that gets done!

Extras:

Art- probably k12 cause nothing else gets done. Maybe the next level of Create-A-Sketch from R&S. I have future interior designers and architects here, plus a future natural doctor. Artists and Composer studies from COAH are on my radar, too.

Edited by Paradox5

Math--AOPS Pre-Algebra via WTMA

Writing--Classical Writing Homer

Grammer--Harvey's

Latin--Latin Alive 1

Science--BFSU + living books and biographies

Spanish--Homeschool Spanish Academy

History--Ancient Egypt and Early American History via living books and biographies

Geography--Africa via SCM program

Other--Piano and art lessons plus artist and composer study

We are pretty much unschoolers except for LA and Maths until 5th grade. Big changes this year! He will probably tag along with some of his older and younger sisters things as well. 

Math:

Math Mammoth

Singapore Challenging Word Problems 3 or 4

LA:

Rod and Staff 4/5

Time4writing.com grammar and sentences

Pentime 

Copywork?

FL: 

Getting Started with Spanish

Logic:

Logic Liftoff

Art:

Grid Drawing by Intoxicated On Life

Music:

?

Science:

?

History/Social Studies:

Spectrum Geography

?

Health/PE:

Soccer/Basketball/Baseball and Cool Kids Running Club

Language Arts--Cottage Press Fable & Song

Math--CLE 5

History/Bible--Story of the World 3 and MP Introduction to Classical Studies

Science--Behold and See 5; local physics class

Logic--???

Latin--Visual Latin

ETA: Literature--One of my main goals for this child next year is that he will learn to love reading. To that end, I am not going to have a ton of school reading. He'll read Lassie, Where the Red Fern Grows, and a few others. I plan to read aloud a great deal and to provide the time and resources for free reading.

We're also doing Prairie Primer and reading through the Little House books again.

(I apologize for the highlighting. I copied and pasted from my google docs page where I had highlighted curriculum once purchased. I have no idea how to turn it off here. :) )

Edited by Dawn E

Reading - Great Works Illustrated studies of Tuck Everlasting & The Watsons Go to Birmingham, free reading books from Mensa's list, and reading comprehension practice on readtheory.org.

Spelling - Phonetic Zoo B

Grammar - Essentials of the English Language with Classical Conversations

Writing & Vocabulary - IEW's US History-based Writing

Math - Math in Focus 5A/5B, math facts practice on xtramath, and utilizing khan academy for further help/practice when necessary. Contemplating ordering BA 5A-D to work on for enrichment.  I don't want to overload her, but the goal is to start AOPS next year.  It might be good for her.

Science - interest led with science facts from CC, some unit studies from Ranger Rick Big Books, and some additional work from McGraw-Hill's online science resources to cover certain topics in order to prep for end-of-year testing

History/Civics/Geography - US history facts & geography from CC Cycle 3 with supplemental US history & geography work from Harcourt Horizons grade 5. We'll also be working through History Pocket's Explorers of North America & Native Americans books.

Art - CC & Artistic Pursuits Gr 4-5, Bk 1

Music - Music appreciation, tin whistle, & composers through CC, home school band through her fine arts co-op (she wanted to take guitar, but the class was full, and guitar lessons

Foreign Language - Latin through CC & ASL through Lifeprint

Computer - typing.com & Scratch burningcargo.com & code.org

Extras - Girl Scout Bronze award & other badge work, Wednesday night classes at church, softball, speech class with her fine arts co-op (drama students are selected from speech class, and that's her goal)

Edited by YodaGirl

Math: Beast Academy 4-5, Prodigy, R&S

Spelling: Spelling Classroom

Typing: Typing Club

Grammar: R&S 4-5

Writing: IEW and/or WWE, writing across the curriculum

History: SOTW 3

Science: Real Science 4 Kids MIddle School;, Chemistry, Astronomy, Physics

Geography: Evan-Moor

Lit: MCT Mole Trilogy + Caesar's English

Art: Mark Kistler's drawing lessons

• 4 weeks later...

What a mess  :tongue_smilie:.  

Science: Guest Hollow Botany

Lit: Short list of ancient and medieval lit, since he'll be reading a lot for botany

Foreign Language: Second Form Latin Continuing First Form Latin

Elementary Greek 2  He didn't finish Elementary Greek 1, so we're going to spread that over the rest of next year and wait til 6th grade to do Greek 2

Art: Ever Ancient Ever New

We'll know in June hopefully what the co-op schedule for next year is.  Still no schedule for co-op classes.  :huh:   If he takes any classes there they will be things like junk drawer robotics or elementary PE, nothing that should change his core academic plan.  We also need to continue with Bible, The Fallacy Detective, etc.  I think we may do those together on Sunday afternoons or something.  

Edited by FarmingMomma

More changes as we get closer!

Logic: ??? Maybe Blast Off with Logic. We'll start with Logic Countdown and see how she likes it.

Math: She'll continue with Life of Fred. Probably finish this year with J, so we'll do K, L, M and then jump into Fractions. Supplement with Khan Academy. I'm now thinking she'll finish this year with Honey, so she'll do Ice Cream-Mineshaft next year and probably have to wait on Fractions till the year after. She finished Farming this year, so G through M next year hopefully!

History: SOTW2, supplement with You Wouldn't Want To... and Kingfisher with some primary source study.

Science: Continue with BFSU. We are hoping to complete Vol. 1 by the end of this year, pick up with Vol. 2.  I think we won't finish Vol. 1 this year. We've averaged like 2 BFSU lessons per month since January   :closedeyes: Yep, second half of Vol. 1 and hopefully I'll be better about keeping to the plans.

Reading: Mostly the reading list from WTM 6th grade, with a few alterations--her attention span isn't good enough for the really challenging stuff yet.

Spelling: AAS 4, 5 and 6, maybe moving on to 7

Grammar: FLL 4

Writing: We're going to try Kilgallon--she is getting sick of WWE.

Foreign Languages: GSWL for Latin, co-op Japanese classes, and maybe remembr.it Chinese character course.

Art/Music: Co-op art/art history class, and continue our "Music of the Week" study.

Faith Formation: The Bible Tells Me So: A Year of Catechizing Directly From Scripture by Christian LeBlanc.

I'm introducing an element of independent study for both of them this year. M, W, F will be normal teaching days. T, Th afternoons they'll each have a pile of nonfiction books (self-selected) and spend the afternoon reading. Once per month, each of them will take an afternoon to "teach" us about something they've been reading about recently. DS12 is especially excited about this idea.

My youngest will be 5th grade next year.  I don't think we're going to change much.  She is struggling some this year and keeping things familiar helps.

Math Mammoth 5

Beast Academy 4

Mosdos Press (whatever color is 5th grade, she's doing Ruby now)

Vocabulary from Classical Roots 6 or A (she's starting 6 now, we'll see how fast it goes)

Evan Moor Spell & Write 6 (currently doing)

Grammar - not sure

Write On! - currently using this.  This is an area of struggle for both kids.  We may be doing a BraveWriter group starting soon too.

History - History Odyssey 2 - finish up Ancients, start Medieval

Art - along with history

various units and 4-H STEM club for Science

TKD, swimming and yoga for PE

We changed quite a bit of this.   Partially because she was struggling.

Giving up MM for MUS. Starting with Gamma at her request.

Not doing BA

Mosdos she's going to do Pearl which is actually the 6th grade level.  I already have it and she's a very strong reader.

Taking a break from vocabulary since that was getting hard for her toward the end of 6 and she was already two years ahead.

Finished Evan Moor, not doing any spelling except corrections in writing.

Grammar - Easy Grammar 5

Write On! and BraveWriter are staying the same, but also may be adding some Moving Beyond the Page literature guides.

History, Art, Science are staying the same.

• 3 weeks later...

We are pretty much unschoolers except for LA and Maths until 5th grade. Big changes this year! He will probably tag along with some of his older and younger sisters things as well. 

Math:

Math Mammoth

Singapore Challenging Word Problems 3 or 4 Using free online resources as needed instead.

LA:

Rod and Staff Spelling 4/5

Time4writing.com grammar and sentences

Pentime 

Copywork: Some selections from literature and also quotes for kids. 

FL: 

Getting Started with Spanish

Logic:

Logic Liftoff

Art:

Grid Drawing by Intoxicated On Life

Possibly sculpting taught by a friend sculptress.

Music:

?

Science:

Geology with an emphasis on crystals. I expect this to be a long term science experiment.

History/Social Studies:

Spectrum Geography

Maryland State Study

Health/PE:

Soccer/Basketball/Baseball and Cool Kids Running Club

Does anyone have geology suggestions? What do the non-musical folks do about music? He is not yet interested in an instrument and we have done composer studies in the past. 

We are planning to start school on Aug. 14, so hopefully I've finally got this all ironed out  :laugh: We don't sign up for co-op classes until later in August, so fingers crossed that he'll be able to get into all the co-op classes that he wants to take.

Science: Guest Hollow Botany at home.  Entomology, Nebraska Ecology, and Backyard Ballistics at Co-op

Foreign Language: Continue with First Form Latin

Continue with Elementary Greek 1

Art: Ever Ancient Ever New at home, Art class at co-op

Literature - coming up with a list

Math - Math Mammoth 5

Writing - Treasured Conversations

Spelling - All About Spelling finish 3, 4

Grammar - First Language Lessons 3

Typing - www.typing.com

History - HO Level 2 Ancients, start Middle Ages

Science - finish RSO Physics, short units on rocketry, robotics and bridges/tunnels

Art - art club 1x per month, drawing, museums/experiences

Music - experiences, piano??

PE - swim, running

Math--- Saxon 6/5 (5/4 has worked really well for her this year so we will be continuing on with the series)

English---

Composition- CAP's W&R- Narrative 1&2 & Grammar WoL;

Spelling- Apples & Pears B; Oral Reading- McGuffey's 4th Reader 

Lit- Journey's through Bookland- 2 (and maybe 3); daily reading from shelf (books I picked) & 3-4 assigned books for year

Classics- RA

Science- Mystery Science & Nature Study

This popped up so I thought I'd check out what I originally planned some nearly 8 months ago now :)

We started school July 3rd and our line-up is nearly exactly what I'd planned.

Changes are:

Started with W&R Fable instead of Narrative (that has been a good call- I think she could have done Narrative but the work in Fable has been very worthwhile, plus she tends to get discouraged easily so I'm happy for her to do work she feels confident doing. She'll move onto Narrative 1 after Fable, I'm not certain if I'll have her try to do Narrative 2 this year as well or do other projects.

Grammar- We switched to FLL4, as soon as I got in WoL I knew it was a poor fit, I already had FLL4 on hand and it has been a good choice.

Lit has been some BW Arrows, she's finished Nim's Island and is currently doing How to Train a Dragon. She is not a confident reader so these have been a good level to build some stamina and confidence.

Edited by soror

First post! Here goes. Second year homeschooling, and continuing with a lot of what worked from last year...

Math: Finish BA 4/5, Saxon 7/6 at co-op

Lit/History: BYL 5

Writing: Expository 1 with WTMA, Bravewriter Writing the Greek Myth and Penning the past-she hearts Writing.

Grammar: MCT Town

Science: Earth and Space at co-op

Geography: Evan Moore Daily Geography

Spelling/Vocab: Spelling Workout F and Wordly Wise 6

Spanish: Rosetta Stone

PE: Dance 4-5 days per week

Music: Piano Lessons

Art: drawing/painting/sculpture class at local art studio