Menu

2017--2018 --5th Grade Planning

Soror

My oldest daughter will be going into 5th, she's a decently strong reader but not a book lover, so I'm having a hard time sorting out how much reading to assign to challenge her without drowning her. I know I will have to add reading for her for SoTW but I'm not sure what/how much yet.

Add in yours, please!

Math--- Saxon 6/5 (5/4 has worked really well for her this year so we will be continuing on with the series)

English---

Composition- CAP's W&R- Narrative 1&2 & Grammar WoL;

Spelling- Apples & Pears B; Oral Reading- McGuffey's 4th Reader 

Lit- Journey's through Bookland- 2 (and maybe 3); daily reading from shelf (books I picked) & 3-4 assigned books for year

Classics- RA

History- SoTW 1 w/ Activity Book & extra reading (tbd)

Science- Mystery Science & Nature Study

Art- Artistic Pursuits 4/5 Bk. 1

Extras- Family PE; Scouts; Family Poetry Time(maybe with MP Poetry); Figuratively Speaking & Philosophy for Children for discussion

Edited by soror
  • Like 2

I'm just beginning my quest into next year's curriculum choices for my upcoming 5th grader.  This is my current, subject to change at any moment, plan...

Math - Beast Academy 5

Spelling - All About Spelling

History - Prairie Primer

Science - Prairie Primer

Writing - Prairie Primer, Journal writing (his favorite thing because he's got a continuing story he's writing) and CAP W&R.

Grammar - Fix It grammar most likely.  We did Fix It in 3rd and it was great.  Switched to ELTL this year which is great too but very different.  He's a big reader but I worry about too much reading with ELTL AND Prairie Primer plus I hope to have him do some other reading work.  So we'll do ELTL if we don't do Prairie Primer.  Fix It if we do.

Extras - Continue our 1 day a week/half day co-op, P.E., and swim team. 

• Like 1

My youngest will be 5th grade next year.  I don't think we're going to change much.  She is struggling some this year and keeping things familiar helps.

Math Mammoth 5

Beast Academy 4

Mosdos Press (whatever color is 5th grade, she's doing Ruby now)

Vocabulary from Classical Roots 6 or A (she's starting 6 now, we'll see how fast it goes)

Evan Moor Spell & Write 6 (currently doing)

Grammar - not sure

Write On! - currently using this.  This is an area of struggle for both kids.  We may be doing a BraveWriter group starting soon too.

History - History Odyssey 2 - finish up Ancients, start Medieval

Art - along with history

various units and 4-H STEM club for Science

TKD, swimming and yoga for PE

• Like 1

Not sure... quarter 2 won't even be over yet until the end of this week, and then there's still quarters 3, 4, and summer break.

So, very tentatively:

Math: planning on trying AOPS Pre-Algebra, with LOF Pre-Algebra 1 & 2 on the side (currently almost finished LOF Fractions).

Writing: CAP W&R Narrative II and Chreia & Proverb? (currently still in Fable).

Spelling: AAS.

History: SOTW, probably part of book 2 and part of book 3, with library books on the side. Also need to think about the whole outlining thing.

Science: don't know.

Art: don't know.

Music: probably continue guitar.

Dutch: continue with Rosetta Stone & Hotel Hallo.

Latin: Big Book of Lively Latin.

Reading: books, articles from Newsela, maybe Figuratively Speaking (not sure what subject to count that as).

Grammar: continue with Time for Kids Grammar Rules! and englishgrammar101.com.

PE: probably swim&gym.

Speech therapy.

Geography: maybe Zombie-Based Geography.

• Like 1

Math: Strayer-Upton, finishing up first book and moving on to second.

Writing: CM skills, maybe a little Writing Trails, Smithhand cursive

Science: maybe Exploration Education

History: CHOW, A Child's First Book of American History 

I think we'll do Builders of the Old World and Makers of the Americas instead

Other: Recorder, Swimming lessons, Choir

And always, lots of reading. I require at least an hour a day.

Edited by birchbark
  • Like 4

Singapore math

SOTW and Cross Seven

Lively Latin

Writing Through History level 2

CTGE 5

Writing and Rhetoric 3-4

Science- whatever interests her, independent reading library books, Science in the Ancient World

Elementary Greek 2

Misc. Lit and McGuffey

Destinos

• Like 1

AoPS Pre-Algebra

BFSU 2, maybe Science Olympiad

SotW 2

Draw Asia I and maybe II

AAS 7 and 8

WWE 4

ALL if published in time, otherwise probably Analytical Grammar

Rosetta Stone Spanish

Suzuki Piano, hopefully finishing book 3 and starting 4

no clue for art

PE will be outsourced to various rec leagues

Edited by rainbowmama

Math: Saxon 7/6

Science: Earth Science & Astronomy (Elemental Science Logic Stage) and Handbook of Nature Study Guest Hollow Botany

History: BF Ancient History Intermediate, K12 Human Odyssey Vol. 1  K12 Human Odyssey Vol. 1 Book, Student Guides, and homemade reading list.  This will work well because he'd like to cover Ancient and Medieval History in one year, and then do BYL's History of Science in 6th grade

English: Rod & Staff English 6, Writing with Skill 1, Ancient and Medieval Literature

Foreign Lang: Second Form Latin and Elementary Greek 1 (Memoria Press) He really wants to add French as well, and doesn't want to wait.  He doesn't see any problem with doing 3 languages at once  :huh:

Breaking the Barrier French 1

Music: Piano and Guitar

Soccer

4-H: Beef Cattle, Shooting Sports, Gardening, Conservation & Wildlife, maybe Forestry

Edited by FarmingMomma

Some kind of Pre-algebra. I'm not sure which. I haven't been terribly please with the route either of my older two have taken.
TOG Year 3 UG

Rod and Staff 6
VP literature list
TOPS science

Writing and Rhetoric, possibly
AAS 5

ETA my possible list:

Mapping the World with Art

Opal Wheeler's Biographies
Logic Problems

Edited by Meriwether

We start 5th next week.

We have

Singapore 5

Spelling power e

Hwot cursive success

Writing strands 3

Real science odyssey chemistry

Story of the world 1

Building critical thinking skills 1

Artistic pursuits for this grade level.

An Italian app to continue with some basic Italian

I need to sit down and get a realistic schedule going as I realised science is meant to be twice a week. We have been doing school In the afternoon but I'm not sure if that will continue or not.

I have one in 5th grade this year. I can lost what we're currently doing.

Bible - CAP New Testament 1

Math - Right Start G with Math Mammoth 5

Grammar - Hake

Writing - CAP Chrieia or however you spell that word. I can't ever remember....

Spelling - Phonics Road 3

Literature - list made by me

History - TOG year 1 reading the dialectic books and listening in to story of the world with siblings

Science - she did Landry in the fall. Can't do that now. So BJU science 6

Latin - CAP latin for children

Spanish - Galore Park 1

I think that's most of what we're doing

• Like 1

My 5th grader next year:

Math: Singapore & beast
Science: tops science with various books on physics topics

Writing: W&R
Grammar and spelling:r&s
Logic books
History, geography, + lit: tog year 4
Languages: finish gsws and gswl then move on to Spanish and Latin for children. Starting gswf
Bible: telling God's story year 1.
Music:composer study and cello
Art: picture portfolio and learning to draw
Other:tap 

Edited by bluemongoose
  • Like 1

I can't believe my baby will be in 5th next year! She will be doing:

Math: BJU 5

Science: BJU 5

English: IEW FixIt, Spelling, and maybe ALL

Writing: IEW Finish Narnia and then maybe US History...or Narnia 2....something IEW or IEW based

History/Literature: TOG Yr. 4

She is also doing a extra-curricular co-op once a week that we plan to continue next year.

Well, it's early, but now I'm intrigued and thinking about it so....

Logic: ??? Maybe Blast Off with Logic.

Math: She'll continue with Life of Fred. Probably finish this year with J, so we'll do K, L, M and then jump into Fractions. Supplement with Khan Academy.

History: SOTW2, supplement with You Wouldn't Want To..., Horrible Histories, and the OUP primary sources volume. 

Science: Continue with BFSU. We are hoping to complete Vol. 1 by the end of this year, pick up with Vol. 2.

Reading: Mostly the reading list from WTM 6th grade, with a few alterations--her attention span isn't good enough for the really challenging stuff yet.

Spelling: AAS 5 and 6, maybe moving on to 7

Grammar: FLL 4

Writing: We're going to try Kilgallon--she is getting sick of WWE.

Foreign Languages: Still considering a followup to GSWL for Latin. Any recommendations appreciated. We'll continue with the free Easy Japanese lessons from NHK, and probably begin working on Kanji using Heisig's Remembering the Kanji method. For Chinese... not sure yet. Our Chinese study this year hasn't exactly been rigorous and I'm worried about loss of fluency, but we don't have money to pay a native speaker tutor and my only Chinese-speaking friend just had a baby and isn't easy to schedule regular visits with.

Art/Music: We'll study art with history. Art skills, the kids enjoy Mark Kistler's videos on Youtube and it's not a priority so we'll probably just keep doing that. I was planning on getting both of our violins repaired and beginning to teach her this year, but budget constraints made that impossible, so maybe this year it'll happen. Music appreciation, we'll just keep watching Youtube videos of orchestra performances, hopefully make it to the movie theater to see a Met simulcast or ballet, etc.

Faith Formation: The Bible Tells Me So: A Year of Catechizing Directly From Scripture by Christian LeBlanc.

• Like 1

"Foreign Languages: Still considering a followup to GSWL for Latin. Any recommendations appreciated."

My fifth grader went from GSWL to lively Latin. The transition was very smooth. She loves the history component. The first 8 chapters are a gentle review and an easy introduction to the curriculum style.

Lively Latin is definitely much more livelier than GSWL.

Edited by deBij
  • Like 2

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢Language: MP Second Form Latin

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢Math: SM Stds. 5A/B (w/ CWP, EP, Test)

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢LA: Hake Grammar 5 (4days), MCT Practice/ DGPratice (1day); R&S 6 Spelling; EIW/L 7 (3 days), WWE 4 (2 days), maybe CW Homer B; Zaner Bloser Hw 6

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢Literature: MP 5A Literature and Poetry, SOTW 4

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢History: 5A MP ClassicalĂ¢â‚¬Â¢ChristianĂ¢â‚¬Â¢AmericanĂ¢â‚¬Â¢Modern Studies

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢Religion: Faith&Life 5, TAN Bible NT and History

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢Science: NonFiction Reading Comprehension Science, MP Birds/Medicine, Apologia Anatomy

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢Extra: Maps Graphs & Charts F, DGP Daily Reading Practice, Kolbe Elementary Literature & VP list (for evening reading), Killgalon

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢Karate, Music class (with Dad), Blue Knights Club (w/ siblings)

Edited by Ambrosia

Well, my 5th grader is MUCH easier than my rising 8th grader, so some of his is planned...

Grammar:          R&S English 5

Vocab:               He's a great speller, so we're skipping spelling and going with Wordly Wise.  I can easily make a list of missed words to use for spelling.

Writing:              ????? Yikes!  No idea! (maybe just the R&S lessons?) Write Shop E

Literature:          TWTM Reading Suggestions and things from SOTW  (Maybe MOSDOS now that they're up and running...)

Math:                 CLE 500

History:              SOTW 4

Science:             Elemental Science Logic Stage Earth Science NOEO Chemistry II

Latin:                 He'll still be finishing FFL and then move into SFL

Spanish:            No idea...this is so hard!  He's almost done GSWS, so he'll need something else.  Foreign Languages for Kids

Critical Thinking workbooks, guitar lessons, sports, and something for health

******As much as I think the above is how we're headed, he is currently doing the BYL unit study on Harry Potter, and he really enjoys it.  I am debating doing the other unit studies next year...just not sure...

Edited by tmstranger

This is very preliminary, but it's what I have so far:

Math: CLE 5 supplemented with Beast Academy 4

Language Arts: CLE for grammar; combo of Natural Speller and Spelling Wisdom for spelling. 

Handwriting/Cursive: Character Cursive

Writing: Writing and Rhetoric Fable and Narrative

Literature: Mosdos Press Coral (but their site has been down for some time -- are they still in business?)

Science: Mystery Science supplemented with living books and science kits

History: SOTW 3 + activity guide

Spanish: Middlebury Spanish

Edited by insertcreativenamehere

It's always so hard for me to get my mind around the fact that while I am currently experiencing 5th grade with DD, I will soon be experiencing it with DS.  Despite being almost 2 years apart in age, they are technically only one grade apart.  It does make for a very different line-up though as I tend to split the difference and work with DS on things about a year and a half behind when DD started them.

Math: MM5 and BA4

LA: continue with MCT, BW, assigned reading and maybe start W & R

History: SOTW 4 (finish) and start Canadian history

Science: BFSU Vol 2?

Other: swimming, gymnastics, logic books, maybe guitar or choir, Drawing Lab for Kids

Geography:  ???

It seems thin but it's a start.

It's always so hard for me to get my mind around the fact that while I am currently experiencing 5th grade with DD, I will soon be experiencing it with DS.  Despite being almost 2 years apart in age, they are technically only one grade apart.  It does make for a very different line-up though as I tend to split the difference and work with DS on things about a year and a half behind when DD started them.

We have the EXACT same situation going on.   I feel your pain.  

Bible: ???

Math: Math Mammoth 5 & Daily Word Problems 6

History: SOTW 3 (hopefully we finish 2 by then)  Heroes and Heroines of the Past American History

Geography: Daily Geography 6 then Map Tracing; Seterra or Sheppard Software online; Read Aloud Child's Geography Ancient or Medieval ETA: Though contemplating studying various countries in the world-maybe 1 a week? homemade countries around the world study

Science: Zoology 1  Unit Study on 7 days of Creation (by Winter Promise) then a homemade Unit study on the human body (based on Blood and Guts by Allison)

LA: Winston Gramar; AAS 3; practice cursive if we're done with Cursive Logic; IEW Units 3 & 4; Dynamic LIteracy & Rummy Roots; Read alouds from list and Independent Read from options

Typing: Finish Dancemat then Typer Island

German: Rosetta Stone

Latin: SSL 2

Music History: SQUILT 2

Music: Hoffman Piano

Art: Artistic Pursuits-finish; then Let's Make some Great Art by Deuchars

Logic: various solitare games, workbooks

Edited by alibild

I will have two boys in grade 5 next year, both with significant delays in reading/writing but who love math. And my littlest will be in grade 3 and doing most of this with them Here's the plan...

History: Build Your Library grade 3 (covers SOTW 3)

LA: MCT Island level, WWE level 3, readers from BYL

Science: Finishing RSO Chemistry level 1 

Math: BA grade 5 level and prodigy 

Language: song school Greek

Logic: fallacy detective

Our resources certainly range in grade level, but the boys are doing well with them so we'll keep on supporting them where they are at!

I just started my first 5th grader two weeks ago. This is what we're using right now:

• Math: MUS Zeta and LOF Decimals and Percents
  • English: R&S 5 Grammar (only, no writing) and Spelling, CW Homer A and Poetry for Beginners A, English from the Roots Up (Latin roots, scheduled with MFW), my reading list based on TWTM and MFW
  • Logic: CTC workbook and The Great Chocolate Caper. If he does well with these, we may start Fallacy Detective. He's a bit young for logic yet.
  • outside lessons in instruments and art
  • modern African tribal language
  • everything else: MFW Rome to the Reformation
  • He's learning typing as well. We're using typingclub.com

I'm excited about this year. My biggest worries are how to fit everything in now that I'm teaching four kids. :)

Math-- Horizons 5, Flashcards, add ins (Mind Benders, Balance Benders, Challenging Word Problems, Mental Math workbooks)

Science--science with co-op, Mystery Science

Grammar/Lit--R&S 5, Vocabulary Workshop, R&S Spelling, TOG lit books, plus add ins (Daily Paragraph Editing, Daily Reading Comprehension, practice with dictionary and cursive)

Writing--IEW SICC B

Public Speaking--through co-op

History/Geography--TOG through co-op, Maps Charts and Graphs workbook

German--Duolingo

Art--Atelier

Math:  Singapore 5A and 5B

Spelling:   AAS 5 and maybe start AAS 6 

Writing:   W&R Books 2 and 3 (Does the hive think this will be enough for 5th grade?  He has only completed the fable book thus far.)

Grammar:   FLL 4 (Mostly as review while we wait for Advanced language lessons)

ANKI for Memory work across all subjects

Latin:   Finish GSWL if needed, then start CAP Latin for Children with added Latin Reading practice (Cambridge Latin or Ecce Romani)  

French:  Duolingo, Finish Paul Noble program.   Add in audiobooks, easy readers, copywork, dictation....MAYBE Galore Park French ???

Reading:   Oral Reading practice from McGruffy Reader 4, plus hour long of "book basket time"

Science:   Elemental Science Physics?  (Grammar or Logic Stage?)

Geography:   North America Focus using SCM "Visits to"

History/Literature:   SOTW 3 + Sonlight Readers + Sonlight Read Alouds with some classics thrown in.   

Art:   Art History, Appreciation and skill study of my own

Music:  Themes to Remember, piano lessons, maybe orchestra

Math - AOPS finish Pre-algebra and start algebra

Spelling - Spelling Made Easy

Grammar - MCT 

Writing - Killgallon Paragraphs for Elementary

History - Finish SOTW 4, Micronations, Geography games

Science - RSO Physics

Literature - choose own books, some Ready Readers

Logic - not sure yet

Latin - finish LFC A , then start LFC B

Music - Piano Lessons

Sports - Cross Country, Football, Basketball, Track, Soccer

Art - Artistic Pursuits grade 4-5 1

Math: MUS Delta

Writing: IEW

Spelling Wisdom 1 (second half) and corresponding ULW lessons

SCM Modern Times history, geography, and Bible

Family literature selections

Science: Jack's Insects and living science books

Visual Latin

Morning basket selections

Math:  Singapore 5A and 5B

Spelling:   AAS 5 and maybe start AAS 6 

Writing:   W&R Books 2 and 3 (Does the hive think this will be enough for 5th grade?  He has only completed the fable book thus far.)

Grammar:   FLL 4 (Mostly as review while we wait for Advanced language lessons)

With regards to writing, that is the subject which I feel we are moving the slowest with DS.  We'll be lucky if we start the fable book before March and might finish it over the summer.  The most we would be doing for writing next year is W & R books 2 and 3 alongside Bravewriter's Partnership Writing.

But I just keep telling myself to teach the kid in front of me and not compare him to DD who is a prolific writer (she did a 10000 word NaNoWriMo project last fall and has several blogs that she updates regularly and has done BW/CAP W & R/TC/MCT's writing program all simultaneously without complaint as she loves to write).  My goal for DS is to slowly bring him to competency with his writing - however slowly it takes, as long as it's progress.

• Like 1

Math--- Saxon 6/5 (5/4 has worked really well for her this year so we will be continuing on with the series)

English---

Composition- CAP's W&R- Narrative 1&2 & Grammar WoL;

Spelling- Apples & Pears B; Oral Reading- McGuffey's 4th Reader 

Lit- Journey's through Bookland- 2 (and maybe 3); daily reading from shelf (books I picked) & 3-4 assigned books for year

Classics- RA

History- SoTW 1 w/ Activity Book & extra reading (tbd)

Science- Mystery Science & Nature Study

Art- Artistic Pursuits 4/5 Bk. 1

Extras- Family PE; Scouts; Family Poetry Time(maybe with MP Poetry); Figuratively Speaking & Philosophy for Children for discussion

Changes, changes :)

1- I did a reading assessment with her and she needs more work- so Rewards Reading is headed my way

2- I believe we are going to do FLL4 instead of WoL; when I got in WoL I was a bit taken aback, the books are HUGE and seem a bit cumbersome to implement; I've been worrying that they would end up being neglected. I had FLL4 here already- I got a deal on them and was going to use them with ds last year until I came to my senses and realized they were a horrible fit, my daughter is the exact opposite of my son however, so I think they could be good for her, we are going to try it out the last bit of our school year and see how it goes(we are using TC now which has the grammar front loaded so it wouldn't be overkill to add it on to what we are doing).

3-Math- going through books yesterday she decided she wants to try CLE math, I already have grade 5 as ds had used bits for review, it was my original pick for her last year but I changed my mind right before we started school, so I actually have grade 4 as well. I'll let her try it out and see what she thinks- on the plus side it is a work text, which i think will be much better. On the other hand, I can see the layout being better or worse- on one hand it is more pages but on the other hand, there is more white space. Lastly, we'll have to see how the teaching resonates with her, she prefers to be more independent but we'll see if she clicks with the teaching style of CLE. 

DS will be in 5th grade next year...

Spelling- Apples & Pears

Writing- W&R Narrative 1 and 2 if we get there

Grammar-????

Reading- he chooses books from a mama made booklist (need to start making this)

Math- Singapore

History- SOTW3

Science-BookShark

Art- I need to do something for this. DS isn't into it at all so I tend to let it slide, but I would like to at least work on some basic drawing skills next year with him. Book suggestions?

P.E.-Soccer and tennis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DS will be in 5th grade next year...

Spelling- Apples & Pears

Writing- W&R Narrative 1 and 2 if we get there

Grammar-????

Reading- he chooses books from a mama made booklist (need to start making this)

Math- Singapore

History- SOTW3

Science-BookShark

Art- I need to do something for this. DS isn't into it at all so I tend to let it slide, but I would like to at least work on some basic drawing skills next year with him. Book suggestions?

P.E.-Soccer and tennis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For Art we have been working through Drawing Lab for Kids and DS who is also not at all into this has really enjoyed these projects.  We got a special sketchbook for each of us and DD and I do the projects as well.  It takes 5-10 minutes for each.

• Like 1

I can't believe my middle girl is going to be in 5th and next year!!! She's such a different animal than her older sister that it's going to be two completely different fifth grade years.

Math: Math in Focus 5 with Beast Academy, Intensive Practice and Challenging Word Problems. She's my math lover!

Spelling: Apples and Pears C

Literature: K12 Literature Grade 4 

Writing: Parts 2 and 3 of Treasured Conversations and Writing and Rhetoric Narrative II

Grammar: Winston Grammar first half of the year and continued practice using her copy work the rest of the year

Foreign Language: Continuing with Spanish using The Fun Spanish and continuing with Latin using Galore Park's Latin Prep possibly or Lively Latin. Not sure which since her older sister (8th grade) will be joining us for Latin as well. Any ideas which of these would be better? She's a natural with languages whereas her older sister is not.

History: American History from 1700-1800 using the relevant parts of Beautiful Feet's Early American History plus extra reading (two days a week), Ancient Rome using the relevant parts of Beautiful Feet's Ancient History guide (1 day a week), and British History using Our Island Story (only the chapters that cover from 1700-1800, one day a week).

Geography: Visits to Africa and Paddle to the Sea (both with her older sister)

Science: Book of Insects study from Memoria Press (one day a week) and continuing our study of botany using special studies (one day a week), Human Anatomy study using The Care and Keeping of You book and Christian Liberty Reader 5 as spines with a few books from Guest Hollow's Junior Anatomy course for supplemental reading (three days a week for 12 weeks), Beginning physics study using Gravitas Press Pre-Level A Physics book along with lots of extra reading (three days a week for 24 weeks). Nature Lore reading: The Thirteen Moon Series by Jean Craighead George (one day a week)

Assigned Reading List: Categories are classic literature, biography, myths/tales, poetry, and a My Book House volume. I'm working on this but haven't finalized everything yet.

Power Hour: With her siblings includes Bible using Bible Study Guide for All Ages, the previous mentioned Latin and Geography studies, and then a rotation of reading from a history spine, a science book, a fairy tale/folk tale book, Shakespeare, biography about an artist or composer, and a civics/government book.

With regards to writing, that is the subject which I feel we are moving the slowest with DS.  We'll be lucky if we start the fable book before March and might finish it over the summer.  The most we would be doing for writing next year is W & R books 2 and 3 alongside Bravewriter's Partnership Writing.

But I just keep telling myself to teach the kid in front of me and not compare him to DD who is a prolific writer (she did a 10000 word NaNoWriMo project last fall and has several blogs that she updates regularly and has done BW/CAP W & R/TC/MCT's writing program all simultaneously without complaint as she loves to write).  My goal for DS is to slowly bring him to competency with his writing - however slowly it takes, as long as it's progress.

Well, see that is my concern:    he is actually quite gifted in writing.   (At least generating content and communicating ideas clearly.   He still has a lot of misspellings.)     However, we have only finished the fable book.   So I am wondering if I should skip ahead (so that he is challenged) or just do the books in order.   My ultimate goal is to prepare him to start WWS in 6th grade.    So, I'm not sure what to focus on in 5th.

My thought is that the books are written in a fairly open-ended way.  So maybe the books in order is the best way to go???

We try to include some writing assignments across the curriculum in history, science, and literature.   (Written narrations, etc.)   On those days, I don't make him do another writing lesson.  I count that as our writing.  That has meant that we havne't moved through the W&R books as quickly as some...but I still feel like the mix of things has been good for him.

Well, see that is my concern:    he is actually quite gifted in writing.   (At least generating content and communicating ideas clearly.   He still has a lot of misspellings.)     However, we have only finished the fable book.   So I am wondering if I should skip ahead (so that he is challenged) or just do the books in order.   My ultimate goal is to prepare him to start WWS in 6th grade.    So, I'm not sure what to focus on in 5th.

My thought is that the books are written in a fairly open-ended way.  So maybe the books in order is the best way to go???

We try to include some writing assignments across the curriculum in history, science, and literature.   (Written narrations, etc.)   On those days, I don't make him do another writing lesson.  I count that as our writing.  That has meant that we havne't moved through the W&R books as quickly as some...but I still feel like the mix of things has been good for him.

I don't have W&R book 3. But I don't think you should skip. I think it's good to go in order. They will build in difficulty, and you could even challenge him further in levels 2-3 yourself, by making him add more dialogue, for example, or practice the skills across the curriculum, as you are already doing. I do the same. I think W&R2-3 will prepare him fine for WWS in 6th grade, especially if he's gifted. Somewhere on this site, SWB recommends CAP W&R as an alternative in-between, and in preparation for, WWS, and I don't think it's the later levels, so levels 2-3 should be perfect.

• Like 1

I don't have W&R book 3. But I don't think you should skip. I think it's good to go in order. They will build in difficulty, and you could even challenge him further in levels 2-3 yourself, by making him add more dialogue, for example, or practice the skills across the curriculum, as you are already doing. I do the same. I think W&R2-3 will prepare him fine for WWS in 6th grade, especially if he's gifted. Somewhere on this site, SWB recommends CAP W&R as an alternative in-between, and in preparation for, WWS, and I don't think it's the later levels, so levels 2-3 should be perfect.

I would agree that it's better to go in order.  We have done books 1-4 with DD and there has been a definite progression and I wouldn't necessarily have wanted her to jump into the middle even though she is my constantly writing child.

And more changes!  DS went ahead and started Earth Science and Astronomy yesterday and plans to work on it through the summer, because he wants to do Guest Hollow's Botany curriculum next year.  This boy really keeps me on my toes. Oh, and I ordered Elementary Greek 1 for next year, and it arrived last Friday.  He went ahead and started on that yesterday too  :glare:

Math: Saxon 7/6

Science: Earth Science & Astronomy (Elemental Science Logic Stage) and Handbook of Nature Study

History: BF Ancient History Intermediate, K12 Human Odyssey Vol. 1  K12 Human Odyssey Vol. 1 Book, Student Guides, and homemade reading list.  This will work well because he'd like to cover Ancient and Medieval History in one year, and then do BYL's History of Science in 6th grade

English: Rod & Staff English 6, Writing with Skill 1, Ancient and Medieval Literature

Foreign Lang: Second Form Latin and Elementary Greek 1 (Memoria Press) He really wants to add French as well, and doesn't want to wait.  He doesn't see any problem with doing 3 languages at once  :huh:

Music: Piano and Guitar

Soccer

4-H: Beef Cattle, Shooting Sports, Gardening, Conservation & Wildlife, maybe Forestry

• Like 1

I love seeing what everyone is doing!

I think we'll be doing mostly the same things in 5th grade as we are in 4th.

90% sure we will stick with Veritas Press self paced history (it will be Middle Ages, Renaissance and Reformation)

Geography Discovering the World of Geography - we are ditching the Legends and Leagues series for this.

CLE math - loving it. 6th grade for Sam, 5th for the girls.

Grammar - still trying to decide. We have loved FLL and are completing level 4 this year. I guess ALL is coming out soon? I didn't know that. Maybe we will use that if it's out by fall. Otherwise I don't know what we will use.

**Edited to say that I have decided to do Language Fundamentals Evan Moor 6th grade level. This will give us a little break from a formal grammar curriculum. We will still be reviewing with the Evan Moor and also with Latin**

Writing & Rhetoric Narrative 2 & Chreia and Proverb. We started W&R this year and we really like it.

Science - also not sure yet. We did Science in the Beginning for the last 2 years

**Edited to say I have decided to do Science in the Ancient World.**

I suppose we will continue on with All About Spelling. We're in the middle of 5 now so we're almost done. I like learning all the rules but it's feeling kind of old.

Logic - we just started some Logic Safari. For next year I'm looking into: great chocolate caper, fallacy detective, detective club, one hour mystery, logic liftoff, reasoning and reading, perplexor books, balance benders by CT (helps with pre-algebra), building thinking skills, mind benders...

Latin - we started LC this year and it was moving so fast. So we switched to GSWL and we LOVE it. We will finish it sometime in 5th grade and then we will probably try LC again then. I think GSWL is giving us a better foundation.

**Edited to say that we plan to stretch GSWL all the way through the rest of this year and next school year too. We will use some of the ideas I have gotten here, like doing some of the translations from English to Latin, Lingua Latina, song school latin, headventureland.....

PE is covered at their co-op, plus they do dance, TKD, baseball, soccer, basketball, and tennis (not all at the same time)!

I always worry that I'm forgetting to teach them something. Hopefully I'm covering everything!

The kids will still continue doing piano lessons, do their Tuesday co-op which includes art, music, PE, Spanish, Computer, and science

**Also edited to say that I realize that we don't do anything formal for literature. I have the kids read books from a few different lists... TWTM, Mensa, etc... but we don't do any kind of guide. I sometimes ask them a few questions but that's it.

Edited by lgliser

I think I've already changed my mind. Now I'm thinking...

Math: Beast Academy finish 4 and start 5

Spelling: AAS

Language Arts: ELTL 4

Writing: Writing and Rhetoric books 5&6

Latin: finish GSWL

Logic: No idea!

Science: Science in the Scientific Revolution

History: BF Early American History Intermediate or possibly just SOTW 3.

Science and history are the most up in the air!

Edited by UCF612

Continually in flux, but current thoughts:

Math-- finish Singapore 5, beast 4 and 5 as supplements, start some kind of pre-A

LA-- I struggle making decisions and implementing here.

Writing-- Using W&R narrative 1 now, claims it is his favorite subject, so continuing this series.

Handwriting-- cursive practice, add typing.

Spelling-- Spelling workout

Grammar-- need to figure out. Did a word roots program for 4th in this spot.

Literature-- thinking of Mosdos, a few novel studies, and some Shakespeare, need to figure out how to implement that. Figuratively speaking unit.

Science-- life science with labs at co op

History-- American year 1 at co op

Art-- at co op

Spanish-- at co op, need to add at home component here since he is asking for more

Logic-- need to add

Geography-- continue map tracing weekly

Programming-- robotics team, would like to set aside time for practicing at home each week also

PE-- at co op, swim team, seasonal rec sports

Memory work-- timeline song, CC history and science sentences, vocabulary words

It looks like so much written out. Literature, Spanish at home, and logic will be additions, so hopefully we will be able to manage these!

Here's what I'm thinking so far:

MATH- Finish MUS Zeta and start MUS Pre-Algebra

WRITING - WriteShop Level E   I don't know if it's enough writing instruction, but she already likes to write and loves the games and activities in WriteShop, so we'll continue with it. 

HISTORY/LITERATURE/GEOGRAPHY- Tapestry of Grace Year 1 UG

PE - Competitive Gymnastics, Dance, possibly continue Homeschool Gym and Swim

SCIENCE - Elemental Science Earth Science for Logic Stage or just interest based unit studies  She chose to do RS4K Middle School Astronomy instead and Geology if we have time.

ART - Artistic Pursuits 4/5 Book 1

MUSIC - If finances allow, I'll hire a college music student to teach flute.

SPANISH - Duolingo

SPELLING - Spelling Workout Level F

GRAMMAR - Finish MCT Town and move to MCT Voyage Level

Edited by mom2scouts

Religion: Faith and Life 5, 57 Saints, Holy Heroes for Lent & Advent, Mater Amabilis books

Math: CLE 5

Science: Behold and See 5, some kind of rock study

History: Biblioplan Medieval, with SOTW2

Literature: Mosdos Press, Coral

Grammar: Rod & Staff 5

Vocabulary: Sadlier-Oxford

Composition: Finish up Treasured Conversations then CAPĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Narrative

French: French for Children B

Art: Ever Ancient, Ever New; VincentĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Starry Night

Music: Easy Peasy, clarinet lessons

Logic: Analogies, Critical & Creative Thinking

PE: Horseback riding 2x/week, walking the dog

Coop enrichment one afternoon a week: could be anything, right now 3 classes: Painting Art with Nature, Video Editing, Walk with a Naturalist, also 4-H horse club

My baby will be in 5th next year. Here is her list so far.

Math: McRuffy and Hands On Equations (maybe add in Patty Paper Geometry?)

Science: ?? Probably tagging along with older sister, but I haven't decided that one. Maybe unit studies just for her - I don't know.

History: Unit Studies on American History. I have Hakim's History of US, Portraits of American Girlhood, lots of lapbooks, etc. I'll make some sort of plan out of various resources I have around here. 

English: HWT Cursive, Apples & Pears Spelling, some sort of writing (IEW?), and she'll have a read aloud and a reader going at all times. 

Logic Fun: Finish up Detective Club & start One Hour Mysteries

Extras: Piano lessons, LEGO robotics team, Art museum classes, and Library classes (1x per month each): public speaking, Mother-Daughter book club, tween book club, Science, LEGO engineering, Reader's Theater, and reading to therapy dogs

She'll continue to work on Spanish on DuoLingo and through friendships in the neighborhood. 

• Like 1

Finalized plans! (We also are starting a co-op with a few other families who will be doing the same history/science/literature/and writing assignments-- 1 day/week. I am still planning the specifics of that, but curriculum choices are done at least! 

We are still far from planned...but this is what we have so far:(super subject to change) ;)

Bible: Case for Kids series and a mom made study through Paul's missionary journey's (probably) family study through the Gospels 

MM 5

history/lit/science SL Core F (with older dd) Biblioplan Year 3 and God's Design for Heaven and Earth

LA: MW 3-4, Cursive copywork, IEW Fix It Book 2, Reading and Reasoning 2, Part 3 of TC and then either BW/TC style writing across the curriculum or CAP or a combination

Spanish: Something with younger dd The Fun Spanish with younger dd

EXTRAS:

Music: piano lessons

Art: monthly outside class

PE: Tennis

Edited by ByGrace3

Science - Sassafras Twins Geology and the Astronomy half of Elemental Science's Earth Science/Astronomy

Math - Math Mammoth 5, Xtramath (maybe she will finally focus enough to pass off addition  :scared: ), Math on the Menu.  We tried the Family Math books this year and never really got into them.

Language Arts - AAS 5 and 6, Advanced Language Lessons, Killgallon Grammar for Middle School/Paragraphs for Middle School.  I still need to figure out how to use these and a good plan to enter into Homeschool Tracker.  I think I also need some more literature studies.

Latin - Latina Christiana

History - Story of the World 3 adding in Great People pages and maybe trying to start outlining.

Spanish - Duolingo, Getting Started with Spanish, Easy Peasy Spanish?

Religion - Discover the Book of Mormon 4-7

Logic - An Illustrated Book of Bad Arguments and the Adventures in Reason series.  Also something I need to figure out a lesson plan for.  I don't want her to just skim the books and get nothing out of them.  Flashcards?  Paragraph summary?

Music - Piano

Art - Child size Masterpieces, Drawing is Basic?

Edited by Kristenaty

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still trying to figure out the last half of this year, so I'm not 100% sure on next year, but:

- Art: Vincent's Starry Night

- Music: no idea

- Science: 106 Days of Creation from Simply Charlotte Mason

- History: Story of the World Volume 1

- Language Arts (tentative): Spelling Wisdom from SCM, literature selections from AO and I'll either do Grammar-Land or Using Language Well from SCM

- Math: CLE 400

Tell me more about 106 Days of Creation please :)

Let's see if I can remember everything.

Math - Life of Fred and Khan Academy

LA - Either Sonlight or Language Lessons for Today.

Spelling - Thinking Tree spelling journals

She will taking a few classes at the school down the road. Everything else will be interest-led using Thinking Tree Journals.

Sent from my HUAWEI KII-L05 using Tapatalk

My older two will be approximately fifth grade next fall.  Here's what I *think* we'll use:

Math: CLE 400, 500, and/or 600 (depending on the kid and our progress)  Continue with Mathmagic, Math reading and Family math  etc once a week.

Grammar: FLL 4 (continued)

Spelling: AAS 4 and 5

Reading:  REWARDS for one, Read Naturally for the other (or some other fluency program?)

Science: Elemental Biology for the Logic Stage

History: WTM History with Usborne Encyclopedia and corresponding Literature (with audiobook accompaniment)

Writing: CAP W&R Narrative 2, maybe continue on to the next book.  Maybe Reading and Reasoning 1 (or just finish Reading and Reasoning beginning)

Logic:  Undecided?

Geography: Undecided.

Foreign Language: Continue ASL classes. . . continue to dabble in French.  Or just bite the bullet and do Rosetta French . . . 

Art, Music and PE:  outside classes/lessons in the community.