Menu

2017-2018 1st Grade Plans!

Slache

First grade is when reading used to be taught. You're not so off base in regards to that. :D I don't know when the push to get them reading BY first grade happened, but I don't think that pressure is necessary.

:iagree: That pressure has been detrimental to my godson. He thinks he's stupid. :(

:iagree: That pressure has been detrimental to my godson. He thinks he's stupid. :(

I have a nephew that was made to repeat k for that reason, even though it wasn't his first language! I warned my sil, but they held him back anyway. It's one of the reasons I no longer want to teach in kindergarten or first grade in the public schools. I stick with the play-based prek. My current K-er, they'd be saying she'd need to probably repeat K because of her (lack of) reading ability. My oldest would have been held back because of math. I didn't and she "caught up" within the first few weeks. I remind teachers all the time of the broad range of development for early childhood - and that goes through 3rd grade, not stop in preschool. This is a soapbox of mine, so it's probably best that I don't get started.

• Like 4

So sad!

I have a nephew that was made to repeat k for that reason, even though it wasn't his first language! I warned my sil, but they held him back anyway. It's one of the reasons I no longer want to teach in kindergarten or first grade in the public schools. I stick with the play-based prek. My current K-er, they'd be saying she'd need to probably repeat K because of her (lack of) reading ability. My oldest would have been held back because of math. I didn't and she "caught up" within the first few weeks. I remind teachers all the time of the broad range of development for early childhood - and that goes through 3rd grade, not stop in preschool. This is a soapbox of mine, so it's probably best that I don't get started.

I agree!  The only reason I am not having to teach reading in 1st is my son just happened to learn by himself at an early age.  I did not teach him or force him.  ALL children learn at different times and some are ready really early (without pressuring them) and some don't learn until 6 or sometimes 7. 

My sister has her kids in a private pre-k and what they require is sad.  She has not "caught on" to all they require and started putting frowns on her worksheets and the expectations they have made for these young kids are unrealistic for the average kid.  Her self esteem will be effected and it just breaks my heart because she is such a sweet child with eagerness to learn that will be squashed.  They also informed her that if she stayed there she would have to repeat Pre-K!  I'm like what???  So she is pulling her out and will be putting her in public school next year... sigh  If she only lived near me I would teach her!  :-P

I feel that these forums are great for ideas to see what is out there but no set one is right for all children, they vary so and that is what is so great about homeschooling!  We meet our child(ren) where they are and don't put too much on them!  Enjoy the process!  :)

Edited by Homeschoolmom3
  • Like 2

So sad!

I agree! The only reason I am not having to teach reading in 1st is my son just happened to learn by himself at an early age. I did not teach him or force him. ALL children learn at different times and some are ready really early (without pressuring them) and some don't learn until 6 or sometimes 7.

My sister has her kids in a private pre-k and what they require is sad. She has not "caught on" to all they require and started putting frowns on her worksheets and the expectations they have made for these young kids are unrealistic for the average kid. Her self esteem will be effected and it just breaks my heart because she is such a sweet child with eagerness to learn that will be squashed.

I feel that these forums are great for ideas to see what is out there but no set one is right for all children, they vary so and that is what is so great about homeschooling! We meet our child(ren) where they are and don't put too much on them! Enjoy the process! :)

This is appalling!

So sad!

I agree! The only reason I am not having to teach reading in 1st is my son just happened to learn by himself at an early age. I did not teach him or force him. ALL children learn at different times and some are ready really early (without pressuring them) and some don't learn until 6 or sometimes 7.

My sister has her kids in a private pre-k and what they require is sad. She has not "caught on" to all they require and started putting frowns on her worksheets and the expectations they have made for these young kids are unrealistic for the average kid. Her self esteem will be effected and it just breaks my heart because she is such a sweet child with eagerness to learn that will be squashed. They also informed her that if she stayed there she would have to repeat Pre-K! I'm like what??? So she is pulling her out and will be putting her in public school next year... sigh If she only lived near me I would teach her! :-P

I feel that these forums are great for ideas to see what is out there but no set one is right for all children, they vary so and that is what is so great about homeschooling! We meet our child(ren) where they are and don't put too much on them! Enjoy the process! :)

I don't have a first grader, but thought I'd pop in to get some ideas to plan ahead. I saw this and I agree. It is my soap box issue too. Even with a kid reading in preschool, I still cannot stand when people hold that expectation for all kids.

I have a friend who sends her kids to a tiny (36 students in prek3-6th grade) school and they told her that by the end of preschool they promise that her son will be reading. Preschool! The school is like a mini military academy. No free choice time. Mostly Seat work. And heavily academic for preschool. I want to march down to the school and demand that they show me their credentials and research to support their methods.

I don't have a first grader, but thought I'd pop in to get some ideas to plan ahead. I saw this and I agree. It is my soap box issue too. Even with a kid reading in preschool, I still cannot stand when people hold that expectation for all kids.

I have a friend who sends her kids to a tiny (36 students in prek3-6th grade) school and they told her that by the end of preschool they promise that her son will be reading. Preschool! The school is like a mini military academy. No free choice time. Mostly Seat work. And heavily academic for preschool. I want to march down to the school and demand that they show me their credentials and research to support their methods.

Yep, after further investigation she found out that their teachers are not all certified and that the degrees that they have can be in any field.  Scary, I think she found out that the principal of the school holds a degree in agriculture!  :eek:

• Like 1

Yep, after further investigation she found out that their teachers are not all certified and that the degrees that they have can be in any field. Scary, I think she found out that the principal of the school holds a degree in agriculture! :eek:

Yes same with this preschool. The teacher is teaching a class of 17 preschool (age 3) through kindergarten by herself. No aid. And she just started teaching. I don't believe she has a degree in teaching.

Edit: Changing plans ...this will be a work in progress... 

My plans for first grade age twins this coming year - if we continue to homeschool next year - still up in the air on that one... definitely homeschooling 1st grade

History -
Beautiful Feet Books - Early American Primary
Liberty Kids
Little Passports USA edition  - decided against after looking at reviews more, it's intended for slightly older kids and at a state a month it wouldn't fit into my timetable as well as I would like. Instead looking at 8 for Each State from edsnapshots.
Now planning a Florida state study only  :lol: planning on using The Ultimate Guide to Florida Homeschooling  and other resources TBD

Character / Good Habits -
Beautiful Feet Books - Teaching Character Primary
Catholic PACE (Program for Achieving Character Education)

English/Phonics/Language Arts -
All About Spelling Level 1, Level 2 (as well?)
English Lessons Through Literature Level 1
Some Phonics, undecided... Finish First Start Reading (books D, E) and BOB Books sets 4, 5 and Roll and Read Phonics Games

Mathematics -
Osmo
Singapore 1A/1B
Addition Facts That Stick 
Subtraction Facts That Stick
Dreambox

Critical Thinking/Logic -
What If the Wolf Were an Octopus?
Aesop's Fables: Books about Reading, Writing, and Thinking

Religion-

Enrichment -
Memoria Press First Grade Enrichment

Science -
Lego Early Simple Machines
Mystery Science

Handwriting -
Pentime Grade 1 Book 2 then Pentime Grade 2 Transition  We're doing enough writing in other places that I don't think a handwriting book is necessary.
New American Cursive 1 (Memoria Press) - maybe

Will continue an outside art class / music class and some kind of physical activity like swimming, taekwondo, gymnastics depending on interests. Looking at running a fairy tale themed co-op one day a week.
Edited by keirin
  • Like 1

This will be my third time with a first grader. I'm still in the planning stages

Spelling you see, finish level B. maybe start C

Math: MUS beta or Singapore 1

Reading: have him read to me a couple times a week

History/science: debating between bookshark K and BF American history plus ??? Science

Well, I had decided to go with Bookshark K history and science, but now that I've decided to separate my 6th & 4th graders, I will probably combine my 4th & 1st graders some. Leaning towards BF early American primary together, but separate science with Bookshark K science for the 1st grader. I will probably still use the Bookshark K read alouds list for ideas. Edited by vaquitita
  • Like 1

For goodness sakes, I wrote this yesterday and I'm changing it already....

Wow. Okay. My oldest will be in 1st this year. But there is also a tag along 4-5 year old, 3-4 year old, and a newborn. Sooooo. We'll see how well these plans translate to life.

CORE

AAR 2
AAS 1
Singapore Math (or maybe Math Mammoth?... MUS?... not sure)
HWOT

English Lessons Through Literature

Morning Basket (Bible, History, Geography, Science...etc)

Give Your Child the World Geography Lit (and then move on to BFB Early Am History)

Bible - The Ology

Burgess Animal books
Let's Read and Find Out Science Books

Exploring Nature with Children curriculum

Read Alouds that I choose or go with our book club

Enrichment/Projects

Brave Writer Jot It Down

Nature Journals

We also do a coop where they do art/artist study, music/composer study, gym, speech, and sign language. Then we also do nature walks with a group once a week and so kid book clubs and handicraft days, etc with them.

We also do swimming once a week.

Edited by Linz1084
  • Like 1

Continue for the foreseeable future--

AAR adding in AAS when we finish level 1

CTC Math

Art Tango

DK Geography workbooks

interest led science

This summer--Knowledge Quest Around the World

Considering for the fall--

More formal science (this kid LOVES science)

Beautiful Feet Early American History

Foreign Language (he wants to learn Spanish, Korean and sign language so we will have to pick one)

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Mr. Engineer will be in 1st grade. He's my hands on build-it, fix-it, analyze it child. My main goal is to get him reading solidly/fluently. He's had a bit of a "click" recently that I suspect is a combination of maturity and finally (hopefully!) finding the approach that makes sense to him.

Reading/Phonics: 100 EZ Lessons and Phonics Pathways (pretty much continue what we're doing now)

Math: Math Mammoth 1 moving into 2

Handwriting: Zaner Bloser 1

Grammar: First Language Lessons 1

Writing: Gentle narration and copy work worked into Science and History

History: SOTW 3

Science: RS4K Chemistry + various experiments

• Like 1

My baby will be in first grade this year. Technically by age he should be in 2nd this coming year, but he wasn't ready for any kind of formal schooling when he was 5, so I pushed Kindergarten back until he was 6. He's also not reading yet, but is finally picking up the individual letter sounds (still doesn't know all their names) thanks to Leap Frog Letter Factory. At some point when he starts reading I fully expect him to jump into the "correct" grade since that's all that is holding him back now. His math and handwriting are great. Needless to say, he's having a very gentle first grade year because I don't want to overwhelm him.

Phonics: LOE Foundations A (daily) hopefully we can start B as well, but I'm following his lead.

Math: Math in Focus Grade 1 (daily)

Handwriting: Getty-Dubay Italics Book B and simple copy work by the end of the year (daily)

Science: My own homemade science plans using Bernstein Bears' Big Book of Science and Nature as a spine with activities and Let's Read and Find Out Science books added in as well. (2 days a week)

History: An intro biographical survey of American history using American Tales Reader as a spine and some great picture books of men and women throughout American history. (2 days a week)

Geography: Evan Moor Beginning Geography workbook along with some books from BF's new world geography program that's coming out this fall and/or Give Your Children the World reading list (1 day a week)

Of course he'll do Power Hour with his older sisters where we cover Bible, hymns, memory work, etc. 

Simple and easy which is perfect for my guy!

• Like 2

I will have 2 first graders next year.  They are very similar in abilities although DNiece has better handwriting and DS has better reading skills.

Language Arts - AAS 1, FLL 1, AAR 2, Oh, I forgot Joy of Handwriting with copywork to follow.

History - Story of the World 3

Spanish - Duolingo, Getting Started with Spanish.  I don't really intend for them to necessarily "do it" or catch on completely, but we will all be doing it together.  DH and I are lapsed fluent in Spanish.

Religion - Discover the Book of Mormon 1-3.  We are doing the New Testament this year.  I do the writing and they answer the questions.

Music - I am debating starting piano with them.  Not sure on that yet.

Art - I would like to try to use the Child-size Masterpieces and maybe Drawing is Basic for Kindergarten.

Science - Sassafras Twins Geology and the Astronomy half of Elemental Science's Earth Science/Astronomy.

Math - Math Mammoth 1, Xtramath, Friday math enrichment books from WTM.

Edited by Kristenaty
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Subject to change. Possibly in 5 minutes.

Bible- Stick Figuring by Grapevine. He loves this and requests it.

Geography- Evan Moor daily practice 1st grade. We did beginning skills this year and he loved it.

Spelling- Finish Evan Moor 2nd and start 3rd grade. Doing every other week at this point.

Grammar- We have been doing FLL but his brother might be doing FLL3 next year and might need more attention with diagramming, so I'm thinking about doing the Evan Moor Grammar and Punctuation 1st grade as a gentle review to keep some things fresh in his mind. We were looking at samples today and he liked the way it looked. The short simpleness of EM ebooks is a good fit for him.

Math- I think Singapore 2A and 2B. We are finishing MM1B right now but he is not a fan. Need a change of pace before Beast Academy.

Looking at the Simply Charlotte Mason individual studies for writing. Need something super gentle for writing cuz he hates it. Just don't want his handwriting to backtrack.

He wants to learn cursive so we are going to get a Kumon book.

He is almost done with OPGTTR, and I'm not quite sure where I'm going to go from here with him for reading.

SOTW3 and Apologia chem/phys with big bro. They love science and history.

I never get art and music done at this point. I want to but don't. Have a 3yo and 2yo too so getting the essentials done is my priority.

Lots of reading aloud from SCM, AO and Mensa lists.

Math games.

• Like 1

I'll have a first grader and I'm 95% certain he'll be homeschooling this year. If not, I'll pick (a few) pieces of this for his afterschooling.

Math: Continue Miquon Orange, then Red

Singapore 2A if we need more before the end of 1st

Phonics: Continue Dancing Bears A, then B

Explode the Code 1-3?

Stack of early readers

LIterature: FIAR and just my favorites from the Bookshark K and 1 lists. I think it will be mostly FIAR, as this child likes repetition.

History: SOTW1 audiobook, tag along with big brother's

modern history.

Science: Science Fusion 1

Spanish: TBD, but will include poetry memorization and

songs.

Music: maybe harmonica or piano Music in the background

during lunch.

PE: soccer/martial arts/swimming

Art: free work with his siblings. May buy Artistic Pursuits

OT

I've listed it all, but the truth is that the focus of 1st will be play and everything else can be neglected in favor of that. This child only just began to play (instead of moving nonstop like he was driven by a super motor with no focus) in the last 4 months. He has so many Lego sets to build, puzzles to puzzle, so much play doh to smash and smoosh, so many things he's never done. I'll move mountains for his right to play like a preschooler this year before it's too late.

• Like 2

Oh, let's see...

Math - start Miquon and Comic Book Math. Maybe throw in some Life of Fred.

Reading - McGuffey, CLE primers/readers, Sonlight readers, and books from the library.

Everything else will be done with Thinking Tree journals and tons of books.

Sent from my HUAWEI KII-L05 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I want to play!

Reading: Continue working through Progressive Phonics. Add in lots of review games.

Writing: We should finish handwriting instruction this year, so next year we will start doing copy work.

Math: Shiller

History and Literature: BYL 1, slightly modified.

IEW Linguistic Development through Poetry Memorization

Science: undecided. Maybe BFSU, maybe BYL, maybe Magic School Bus, maybe interest led with kits. I want something that satisfies his wonderful curiosity while still being easy to implement with a 3 year old Tasmanian Devil in the house.

We will also start learning ASL, and he will continue his speech therapy and karate.

ETA: I'm also considering Laying Down the Rails for Children. Or some other character training.

I think Mystery Science is very friendly to those living with Tasmanian Devils. Throw in some library books, boom. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't totally decided yet, but this is what I'm thinking for my second 1st grader...

Singapore 1b/2a

A Reason For Handwriting A

All About Reading 2/3 or PP

FLL

WWE

Artistic Pursuits 1

Geography Songs w/ map work

Keep going through our children's catechism and go through a children's Bible

And lots of read aloud books from various book lists. We plan on starting history in 2nd grade with the VP self paced courses.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Edited by calihil
  • Like 1

Mr. Engineer will be in 1st grade. He's my hands on build-it, fix-it, analyze it child. My main goal is to get him reading solidly/fluently. He's had a bit of a "click" recently that I suspect is a combination of maturity and finally (hopefully!) finding the approach that makes sense to him.

Reading/Phonics: 100 EZ Lessons and Phonics Pathways (pretty much continue what we're doing now)

Math: Math Mammoth 1 moving into 2

Writing: Gentle narration and copy work worked into Science and History

History: SOTW 3

Science: RS4K Chemistry + various experiments

I see that you are going to possibly be using Zaner-Bloser for handwriting. I also saw that you are currently using HWOT. Is there a reason for the change? I am currently using A Reason for Handwriting with DS (6 in May) but I havent loved it. I have been debating between HWOT and Z-B for next year. Any thoughts?

• Like 1

Reading/Phonics: AAR 2, ETC 4 and 5, and I See Sam Readers

Math: Continue Right Start B and move onto C

History: SOTW 2 with older sister

Science: Probably Nancy Larson Science 1 with older sibling, but looking into Mystery Science

Grammar: Copywork from various readalouds

Music: Piano Lessons

Lots and lots of readalouds and audiobooks.

Co-op classes: Art, Sewing, Chorus, Astronomy and Legos

• Like 1

Math - Singapore 1A & 1B

Language Arts - All Abeka (I hope I don't regret this)

History - Early American History Primary Study Guide from Beautiful Feet Books

Geography - Little Passports as a spine and supplementing with books and projects and an Evan-Moor Daily Geography Workbook

Science - Easy Classical Earth Science (I think) and an Evan-Moor Daily Science Workbook

P.E. - We are joining a homeschool group that does gym days this year

Foreign Language - We are considering a little Spanish per ds request (or maybe Latin), not sure which curriculum yet

Art & Music - I feel uninspired I'd rather do math ha, I'm really not artsy or music-y, so I struggle with this, but feel ds is missing out due to my lack of interest

Bible - Not sure what though

We will be reading some chapter books too, not sure which ones though, we will just choose as we go

I think this is it??

• Like 1

We're schooling year round from January to November so 1st is still a long way off for us and a lot will change just depending on how far we get this year.

Language Arts

Reading: Explode the Code 2 or 3

Penmanship: Zaner-Bloser 1? We're doing K now and I don't like it but I haven't seen anything better yet.

Spelling: All About Spelling 1, yall convinced me.

Read Alouds: My list is in good shape on Goodreads.

Math

Math U See alpha and/or beta

Science

Mystery Science (thanks again!) Possibly with the Evan Moor Daily Science 1

Religion

Devotional: undecided

Catechism: Faith and Life 1

Social Studies

History: Story of the World 1

Geography: DK Geography 1 and a maps, charts, and graphs workbook

Foreign Language

Spanish: Song School Spanish

Music

Piano: My First Piano Adventures and Hoffman Academy

Art

Draw Write Now

Logic

Lollipop Logic or Mind Benders or both?

Life Skills

Cooking: working on a list of children's cookbooks

Gardening? Thinking about this.

Physical Education

Karate continuing (Hoping to achieve blue belt before end of the year)

Yoga continuing

Swim lessons continue if still not swimming proficient

Soccer season 3

Basketball season 2

Baseball?

I still have a LOT to figure out. Sorry about potato formatting, I'm mobile.

• Like 1

* Literature - Burgess animal/bird/plant books, Fitch-Perkins Twin Books, Anything else that strikes our fancy
* Grammar - First Language Lessons

* Phonics - Phonics Pathways, The Phonics Pages, ECT, Easy Readers from Library
* Math - Right Start 
* Handwriting - Barchowsky and copywork from Grammar and Science

* Science - Basic Foundations for Scientific Understanding "B Thread" (mostly animals and plants)

After much though, I've decided not to do History this year.  DD4 is not ready, and I'd like to keep both kids together. We'll just survey various countries/cultures together via the Fitch-Perkins books, and the First Grader will do a little extra reading on those countries.  

• Like 1

History: SOTW 1 and start 2

Literature : Mostly recommendations that go with history, or books I love

Math: Miquon Orange and Red

LA: WWE (across the Curricula), FLL 1

Handwriting: Pentime

Science: BFSU 1

Morning Time: IEW Poetry Memorization, Long Story Short, Aesop's Fables, Art and Composer Study

Art: Artistic Pursuits

Starting August 28. These are the final plans:

MUS - finish Alpha, start Beta.

RLTL - finished level 1, start level 2

RLTL workbook and copywork

HWOT First Grade Book

Wayfarers Revolutions Schedule for History, Geography, Science, Literature, and Composer Study

Artistic Pursuits

Telling God's Story

Through our Charter School:

Private Tutoring for Spanish 

Private "Electric Keyboard" (he is very specific!) Lessons

"Math & Logic Games"

"Exploring Science with Yoga" (what? haha! class description says they study different science themes, then reinforce the learning with children's yoga poses)

Sports:

Fall Soccer, Winter swim lessons, Spring ? (probably baseball, but we'll see)

He's dying to take a pottery class, so we will do that at some point.

So excited to get going on this school year!

Edited by coastalfam
  • Like 1

DS will be doing

Christian Light Math (not sure the level. We will have to do the placement test.)

Life of Fred (which is more like a fun extra)

Christian Light reading and Language Arts

Beautiful Feet Early American History

Sassafras Twins Zoology and Anatomy

He's going to fall in love with the history and Science. He Lovds books and my 2nd and 3rd grader will also be doing the same things but math, la, and reading at their level.

• Like 1

So this is our first year homeschooling.  We actually pulled Ethan out of private school Kindergarten in March.  For right now I've just been piece-milling together stuff until the baby is born at the end of May.  I am planning on starting 1st grade work with him the second week of June.  Yes, I know we'll have a new born and a 3 year old to contend with as well, but Ethan is high functioning on the Autism Spectrum and we need to just keep moving.  Right now I have:

Explode the Code

Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading

HOTW

FLL

WWE1

Saxon 1

I feel as though I'm missing some things, any suggestions?

Oh, and we're going to do a Year of Playing Skillfully with the 3 year old.

So this is our first year homeschooling. We actually pulled Ethan out of private school Kindergarten in March. For right now I've just been piece-milling together stuff until the baby is born at the end of May. I am planning on starting 1st grade work with him the second week of June. Yes, I know we'll have a new born and a 3 year old to contend with as well, but Ethan is high functioning on the Autism Spectrum and we need to just keep moving. Right now I have:

Explode the Code

Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading

HOTW

FLL

WWE1

Saxon 1

I feel as though I'm missing some things, any suggestions?

Oh, and we're going to do a Year of Playing Skillfully with the 3 year old.

I see phonics/reading, handwriting, grammar & composition, and math. That's all the basics.

You may want to add some content subjects, such as science, history, and art. These can be interest-led and done with library books. You don't need to buy curriculum if you don't want to. My son would rebel if we didn't do science. That's his favorite part of school.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Phonics: Phonics Pathways, practice and reinforcement from Bob Books & iPad apps (Starfall, Teach Your Monster to Read)

Handwriting (and eventually Spelling): Copy work, and eventually dictation, from his reading, maybe cursive

Math: Continue through Miquon, additional facts practice through iPad apps 

Science: Science in the Beginning (with all his siblings)--also regular documentaries, books, nature study, a possible Nature Pal Exchange, etc.

History: Either A Child's History of the World or Story of the World (with a couple of his siblings) -- haven't decided which one yet

Literature, etc.:Ambleside Online Year 1 (with a couple of siblings)

+ Ukulele, drawing, crochet, Spanish, other stuff

Edited by SGPS

Looking through these curriculum lists, it appears your kids read pretty fluently then? We are at CVC books and basic ones at that.

DD will go to school first semester of 1st, home the second. After schooling Singapore 1b and MEP.

Nope. We are at that same level here. I've even slowed down The Reading Lesson so she can practice more with words. We'll start lesson 6 soon. She's reading from Bob Books, I See Sam books, and that set from Sonlight (My Pals?). I've also recently downloaded the free Bob Book activities for more practice.

Eta: lesson 6, not 5

Edited by Renai

Looking through these curriculum lists, it appears your kids read pretty fluently then? We are at CVC books and basic ones at that.

DD will go to school first semester of 1st, home the second. After schooling Singapore 1b and MEP.

My son isn't even solidly reading cvc words. We're barely in the blending phase. He knows his letter sounds, but hasn't quite made the leap to actual words.

• Like 1

Nope.  I do most of the reading for my boy.  He can sound out CVC words, but it is still slow going.  

I worry about it sometimes, then remind myself that he is still just a kindergartener, and very much a boy.  

No doubt it will "click" when he is ready.  (Probably about the time his sister catches up to him - peer pressure is nothing compared to "little sister pressure!")

• Like 1

Nope. I do most of the reading for my boy. He can sound out CVC words, but it is still slow going.

I worry about it sometimes, then remind myself that he is still just a kindergartener, and very much a boy.

No doubt it will "click" when he is ready. (Probably about the time his sister catches up to him - peer pressure is nothing compared to "little sister pressure!")

I actually am not worried at all. The focus on early reading in this country is bizarre. I just don't know how to think of curriculum for a non-reader.
  • Like 2

I actually am not worried at all. The focus on early reading in this country is bizarre. I just don't know how to think of curriculum for a non-reader.

I just read aloud a lot. His reading practice is buddy reading progressive phonics books and lots of practicing phonemic awareness. For all of our other subjects, we do things orally and he draws pictures. His inability to read on his own just means I have to read things to him.

• Like 3

That focus is one of the reasons I homeschool my Ker. And I'm a public school prek teacher. Being down the hall from K classrooms solidified it for me. I don't even agree with some of the methods at the state-funded prek I'm in now.

I just read aloud a lot. His reading practice is buddy reading progressive phonics books and lots of practicing phonemic awareness. For all of our other subjects, we do things orally and he draws pictures. His inability to read on his own just means I have to read things to him.

:iagree: . I've always read aloud a lot. My oldest is dyslexic (I'm keeping an eye for it for the youngest), so reading aloud is just a thing here. My oldest was telling me last night that when she went to a charter school for 7th, one teacher told her they could tell that she was either a reader, or was read to a lot, because of her style of writing.

For youngest, I plan to take it at her pace. Which, at the moment is very slowly, and sometimes every other day.  :glare:

• Like 1

I see phonics/reading, handwriting, grammar & composition, and math. That's all the basics.

You may want to add some content subjects, such as science, history, and art. These can be interest-led and done with library books. You don't need to buy curriculum if you don't want to. My son would rebel if we didn't do science. That's his favorite part of school.

We'll start first grade in January with my two younger middles. They'll be almost 7 and 6.

They'll tag along in the younger extension with MFW Exploration to 1850.

Abeka phonics and readers, FLL1, WWE1 done my way, and maybe start AAS1 or wait till 2nd grade for spelling

MUS Alpha--I may need to split them up if I see they're progressing at greatly differing speeds. I could see the younger outpacing his older sister.

I hope I can still find time to read to them from picture books!!!

I see that you are going to possibly be using Zaner-Bloser for handwriting. I also saw that you are currently using HWOT. Is there a reason for the change? I am currently using A Reason for Handwriting with DS (6 in May) but I havent loved it. I have been debating between HWOT and Z-B for next year. Any thoughts?

Sorry for the late reply! I just saw this.

In general I have been very happy with HWOT but I decided to make the change for child #2 for two reasons:

First, ZB has the three lines vs just two or even one that HWOT has. My oldest loves to write and would happily practice handwriting on any paper he could get his hands on but Mr. Engineer definitely needs a more guided approach and feels much more confident in his writing practice if there are the multiple lines to remind him where things need to go. The other reason was simply that the format. The more colorful books were more appealing to him than the simple b&w of HWOT.

I don't necessarily think that one does it better than the other (though who knows, I might fall madly in love with ZB when we actually do it next year???) and imagine that I'd be happy using either one with my other kids.

I recently discovered Royal Fireworks Press and darn near revamped our entire plan.

My kiddo will be an older six year old and is reading pretty dang well! We will school through the summer, so this will fluctuate a bit.

We are beginning to think she has some ADD going on.

She does well when we have options on hand. For instance, we will do Miquon for 4-6 weeks, then switch to LOF, math games, etc. and go back to Miquon. She keeps moving forward, she just likes to mix it up. Therefore, we essentially have our primary curriculums and our add ons.

English:

BYL 1

MCT and The Mudd Trilogy (we will spread this out over at least two years)

Reading:

AAR 2

Suppose the Wolf Were an Octopus

Classics in the Classroom

Aesop's Workbooks

Mensa Book list

Writing: Does MCT cover this?

Handwriting: HWOT

Phonics:

ETC and BTC

Spelling: AAS 1

Math:

Miquon Red

LOF

Science:

REAL Science Odyssey Life

Social Studies:

SOTW

Logic and Reasoning:

miniluk

Philosophy from RFP

Creative problem solving level A

Misc.

Latin (RFP)

Spanish Skill Builder I and II

Character: The Book of Virtues w/ curriculum

Various educational games:

Story Cubes

Rush Hour Jr

Pajaggle

Sequence (States and Capitals)

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Edited by CJVW

I recently discovered Royal Fireworks Press and darn near revamped our entire plan.

My kiddo will be an older six year old and is reading pretty dang well! We will school through the summer, so this will fluctuate a bit.

We are beginning to think she has some ADD going on.

She does well when we have options on hand. For instance, we will do Miquon for 4-6 weeks, then switch to LOF, math games, etc. and go back to Miquon. She keeps moving forward, she just likes to mix it up. Therefore, we essentially have our primary curriculums and our add ons.

English:

BYL 1

MCT and The Mudd Trilogy (we will spread this out over at least two years)

Reading:

AAR 2

Suppose the Wolf Were an Octopus

Classics in the Classroom

Aesop's Workbooks

Mensa Book list

Writing: HWOT

Phonics:

ETC and BTC

Spelling: AAS 1

Math:

Miquon Red

LOF

Science:

REAL Science Odyssey Life

Sassafrass Zoology

Social Studies:

SOTW

Logic and Reasoning:

miniluk

Philosophy from RFP

Creative problem solving level A

Misc.

Latin (RFP)

Spanish (RFP and Skill Builder I and II)

Various educational games

**Can anyone recommend a non- religious based character building curriculum??

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I know! Aren't they awful!

This might help: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/421896-secular-charactervirtue-curriculum/

Personally I would use the Aesop workbooks before MCT.

I have a really unmotivated rising 1st grader who really did not want anything to do with learning in K. I kept it simple for her this past year. MEP K for Math, Getty-Dubay 1 for writing, Get Ready Get Set and Go for the Code books for phonics, the McGuffey primer and then circle time with her older sister where she tolerated readalouds, songs, oral Spanish I make up as I go, and fine arts enrichment, as well as a multipurpose category that I call Jewish Studies (which means a children's Jewish Bible storybook, oral Hebrew, crafts and calendar activities, Jewish character building/ethics type stories, and Jewish history which I loop with one going into circle time on any day).

This year, I want her to do more, and she is both reading and willing to do more school stuff, but I didn't think she was ready for full blown school of the type her more academic older sister did for first, so I sort of set it up for them to do some stuff together hoping her older sister's enthusiasm and work ethic will carry her along. She's more arts and crafts oriented than big sis also so I've discovered Layers of Learning and instead of following their schedule for history I'm working through their fine arts topics.

Daily:

Math - MEP 1

Reading/Phonics - McGuffey 1; ETC 1-2

Writing - Getty-Dubay B

Spanish - Pimsleur, folksongs, story

Hebrew - Shalom U'vracha pre-primer, folksongs, story

Whole Person - Yoga and Meditate

Weekly or on Loop:

Lit - see note below

History - see note below

Science - library books and circle time science

PE - Tennis

Logic - Lollipop Logic

Afternoon Electives - Nature Study; various Usborne drawing books; Layers of Learning fine arts

Circle Time with sister: Music appreciation, artist study, poetry, folksongs all done the CM way; continue our Jewish studies stuff; Mystery Science

History & Lit note: The last two years my older daughter did mashups of History Odyssey and Build Your Library for Ancients and Medieval. This was not going to work for my rising first grade daughter who really isn't ready for history. I thought it would be good to organize history for them together, however since older DD has already started history, I have decided to skip history entirely this year in favor of a geography year. I'm taking the BYL Kindergarten program as my spine and doing that for my 1st grader plus Evan Moore Daily Geography, Layers of Learning stuff where applicable, and enrichment from Janice Van Cleave's Geography for Every Kid. We'll also do various kits and games I've been collecting. The BYL K program does a lot of lit readalouds from different parts of the world so older DD will enjoy those with copywork but younger DD will just listen.

Edited by bwdiaz
  • Like 1

Spanish - Pimsleur, folksongs, story

Hebrew - Shalom U'vracha pre-primer, folksongs, story

May I ask what Spanish folksongs you're doing? We're doing De Colores. I puffy pink heart Pio Peep if you care to check it out. And the Spanish version of Madeline is totally fab as well.

Have you heard of Bright Beginnings? How did you decide on Behrman House? I am not Jewish so I'm completely ignorant about the subject, but I'd like to teach my children Hebrew.

Edited by Slache

Favorite Spanish from this year:

Anything by Alma Flor Ada, Dr. Suess, or Margaret Wise Brown

Nursery rhymes on YouTube

Ninos Como Yo, by Kindersly (cultural geography)

Gente, by Spier  (cultural geography)

Fonos Libros Infantalas (familiar American stories retold in Spanish)