Menu

2017-2018 6th Grade Planning Thread

frugalmamatx

Now that fall is coming, and we're not on the boat full-time as of last week, I'm back to planning. My youngest is a rising 6th grader. He has some special needs that pose challenges, but he's a bright little guy with no learning disabilities. We use Google Classroom to manage his work, and he does as much written work as possible through Google docs. 

Math:

Excel Math

Aleks Quicktables

Science:

GamED Mindbytes

Novare Physical Science

History:

Shmoop 6th grade World History

Writing and Grammar:

Cover Story

Daily handwriting practice

Literature:

My own syllabus (still working on this)

Other:

Art and PE at co-op, weekly therapies, Boy Scouts

What! I have to think about next year!  :scared:

He finally is finding a rhythm and not complaining (too much) about this year.... :sneaky2:

You expect me to think about next year?! :svengo:

Here's what my limited brain-power can put forth right now:

Math-- Rod and Staff 6

Latin-- finish GSWL, then maybe begin Henle using Memoria Guide (if I can find it cheap)

Spelling-- continue with Spelling Plus and dictation

History and Geography -- maybe David Macaulay's books and whatever Genevieve Foster book he won't have fits over.  And Book of Marvels...

Lit.-- various bits of Ambleside Online's Year 4 and 5, plus whatever I can dig off the shelves here.  I might just throw the Treadwell SIxth Reader at him and call it good... He is such a goldilocks when it comes to reading material.

Science -- Sonlight Science E

Well, we start Tuesday, so this has to be it... :)

Math --still R&S 6

Latin -- GSWL, maybe we finish it, maybe we don't. Just keep swimming.

Spelling/Grammar/Comp -- Spelling Plus and dictation; begin the grammar bits of Warriner's 7 (finish next year) ; outlining w/ Kingfisher History Encyclopedia (first half of year) and then the sentence and paragraph chapters of Warriner's.

History-- Abraham Lincoln's World and then first half of SOTW 4 (see AO 5)

Literature-- eastern hemisphere focus, using Book of Marvels, Material World, and my Frankenstein-ed version of Linda Fay's Year 5 and SL

Science-- A Beka 6, so he can begin the skill of textbook reading. He's spreading 3 chapters out over the year so it doesn't overwhelm, and so he has some room for rabbit trails.

• Like 1

Math: Saxon 54 followed by Saxon 65 Added Lifepac Grade 4 Math to brush up on basic skills. Then will go into Saxon 54 with doubled up lessons. 

Current Events: As stated above

LA: Lifepac LA - selected units from grade 4 & 5 to cover holes discovered by testing, then complete LA 6 {and possibly 7} of SOS  Unsure. I liked Lifepac 6 through MOnarch and it was a good fit, but the budget won't allow purchasing currently. I guess we'll go back to the workbook we were using but I'm not crazy about it. 

Writing: Writing from Lifepac LA 6, in addition work on basic essay writing 

Reading: Ditto above

History: Finish up Lifepac Grade 5 history, follow with Texas history to finish out year. 

Science: Start SOS Science 7 now, follow with Lifepac Science 8   MobyMax Science starting with Grade 6. 30 minutes per day active time. 

Health: Lifepac Health Quest

PE: Ditto original, with addition of Wii Fit / Dance games / etc  NO Wii on account of the TV died and I don't feel like replacing it with a possible upcoming move. 

Art: Ditto Original  I missed the deadline for the local program, so I guess no art this year. 

Life Skills: Ditto original. 

I'm still figuring stuff out. Ideally I'd just go for Monarch - we loved it and after editing out some lessons it worked well for LA and History and even Math actually. But I can't justify $40 a month on it right now. So I'm exploring other options. 

• Like 1

HA!  I just realized that I have a 6th grader this year.  (He's my youngest.)  Here's what he's doing this year:

Math - Saxon 7/6

English - Rod & Staff English 6, Spelling Workout F, Zaner-Bloser Cursive, Book club plus literature that coordinates with history

History - Story of the World

Science - Little Passports science exploration kits (subscription)

Music - piano lessons, Meet the Great Composers

PE - homeschool group weekly class

I can't believe my oldest will be in sixth!! Here's what I have planned so far...

MUS finish epsilon, then zeta

*Considering switching to math Mammoth

Spelling you see level G

ELTL 4

*He switched to Fix It Grammar and is much happier. So next year he'll do Fix It level 2.

We tried IEW's SWI-B for a few weeks, and it's just meh. We are going to try Brave Writer next year. So the Arrow plus either Partnership Writing or Faltering Ownership.

BF history of science

*BF geography

BF history of California

*Funschooling journal twice a week

Physics using RS4K, TOPS electricity and magnetism, and various kits.

Typing

Duo lingo Spanish

Piano

Well we started last week, so things are pretty much set now.

Math: Math Mammoth 5

LA: Spelling You See G. Brave Writer Arrows and Partnership Writing, as well as the whole 'lifestyle'. Everything BW has gone well so far, so I am excited to give free writing a try. He will also read classic literature, I don't have a list made, will just pick as we go along. First up is Treasure Island. I also have in mind Sherlock Holmes, a Zane Grey Western, and Tarzan.

History: Beautiful Feet California history

Geography: Beautiful Feet geography combined with Thinking Tree's United States journal

Science: Evan Moore daily science 4 plus a physics focus; Real Science 4 Kids Focus On Middle School Physics (textbook only), Tiner's World of Physics, TOPS electricity and magnetism.

Extras: piano, drawing, nature study, in August we did a unit on Shakespeare, and in January we will do one on a composer.

Edited by vaquitita

We started this Monday and so far so good! Kids are enjoying everything we are doing so far.

Math: One is doing Singapore 6A/6B Textbook, Wkbook and Intensive Practice, the other starts Intro to Algebra B AoPS online in a week and a half.

History and Science: Big History Project, with lots of supplemental readings and docus, and we hope to do RFWP Ferret Ecology at the end of the year.

Creative Writing: Adventures in Fantasy

Literature: Lit Guides, Shmoop, and a few units from my new favorite teacher on TPT -- we will cover Hobbit, Giver, Hunger Games, Pride and Prejudice, a short story unit, Sherlock Holmes, a poetry unit, and Midsummer Night's Dream. 

Geography: Using Draw South America and whichever continent they want to follow up with

Music: How to Listen to and Understand Great Music Teaching Company course 

Art: Not sure yet-- will do after we finish the Music course

Extras: Piano Lessons for both, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Stage Combat class for ds11, and 13 hours a week of ballet for dd11! That will get interesting for all of us. 

Literature - coming up with a list

Math - Math Mammoth 6

Writing - Writing with Skill 1

Spelling - All About Spelling 5, start 6

Grammar - Grammar for TWTM

Logic - Logic Liftoff series, Fallacy Detective

History - HO Level 2 Ancients, start Middle Ages

Science - finish RSO Physics, short units on rocketry, robotics and bridges/tunnels

Art - art club 1x per month, drawing, museums/experiences

Music- experiences, maybe guitar

PE - swim, running

After getting a start on the year I realized that we needed to make some changes. We are all, kids and mom, burned out on WTM style writing and grammar. When everyone dreads doing it then I feel like it's time for a change, at least temporarily. I still love it, but we need a break! My son also wants more independence. So here is my 6th grade DS's revised list.

Math - Math Mammoth 6

Literature - coming up with our own list

Writing - The Arrow, Partnership Writing/Faltering Ownership, Brave Writer lifestyle stuff, also going to start to work through the Killgallon middle school books

Spelling - Megawords

Grammar - Grammar and Punctuation 6th Grade

Logic - Logic Liftoff series

History - History Odyssey Level 2 Ancients, then Middle Ages

Science - Holt Science and Technology Earth Science

Fine Arts - art club, experiences, etc.

P.E. - swimming, running ?