Menu

2017-2018 9th grade planning - if you've started, please post!

This is the plan:

1.  English: TBD

2.  Math:

Algebra I -  online  - myhomeschoomathclass.com  (Jann in Texas)

3.  Social Studies (Geography):

Mapping the World By Heart - local class

4.  Science:

Forensic Science - local class

5.  Art II -  local class

6.  Mapping for Personal and Academic Success - local class

Extras:

Theater 

Swim team

Homeschool PE

Faith Formation YDiscple class

Work as Swim Instructor

Library volunteer photographer

Edited by bluebonnetgirl
  • Like 1

I think I have finalized our plans for the most part.

History/lit/writing: TRISMS Discovering the Ancient World

Analytical Grammar & Writing Strands (I think I'm going to use this as one combined credit, but she'll also be doing IEW writing lessons in her history program. I'm still ironing out how to record that on her transcript.)

MUS - I'm hoping to finish up pre-algebra prior to the start of the year, then do Algebra 1 for 9th grade. She's technically behind in math, but only due to laziness. I'm sure I can get her caught up prior to August, as she doesn't ever require the review and repetition of neurotypical students. That's where the laziness comes from, I think - procrastination.

Monarch High School Health (1 semester)

Monarch Civics (1 semester)

Biology for the Rhetoric Stage (ES)

Spanish: She's going to finish the second half of the Spanish book she's using in co-op this year to earn the other half of the credit. She's doing it on her own, though, because she really doesn't learn much in a classroom setting. We just need to track down the audio files, and then she'll continue supplementing with DuoLingo.

She will have 7 credits at the end of her freshman year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

If you create things like documents you could share, I would gladly pay you if you would share them with me. We are in chapter 4.

Most of the activities I supplement with are oral during class (I'm teaching a local homeschooler along with my daughter) or writing prompts. If I do any written exercises for the rest of the book, I'd be happy to send them to you with answers.

• Like 2

I totally forgot that I still owned Visual Link Spanish 1. I found it when going through some things in the garage today. I was able to reinstall it on our laptop and will add that in for both of us. Dd didn't want just a computer program because she prefers textbooks, but ds will probably like it a lot! 

I'll combine VL for the added vocabulary building and experience and go slowly through BtB trying to really get it before moving on. 

Have you choaen books for the Lit you're going to use with geography? Dd will be doing world geography and we have no room to fit in a lit class separately, so I love this plan.

I would love to see it, too. I'm working on world geography and would love to add a little lit. Ds will have a lit class at co-op, but it's an anthology from Memoria Press with poetry and short stories. I need to add some books. 

I am working on this right now! Sooooo many open Amazon tabs! LOL I can let you know when I've whittled things down. I might start another thread on it.

Not to hijack the thread, but I thought I'd reply here one more time about this because I am working at a snail's pace. I am (happily!) lost in the weeds, big time. LOL I am trying to create a list of books that are of a high literary value, not too adult/harsh for the 9th grade, balanced between historic and modern, not too stereotypical in treatment of the culture, etc. I also want a comfortable balance between fiction and high quality non-fiction. As a guide, I'm now leaning toward correlating his reading with the themes presented in the AP Human Geography course, moving through the literature unit by unit. From the AP Course Audit site: 

• Ă¢â€“Â¶  The course provides a systematic study of human geography, including the following topics outlined in the course description:

• Ă¢â‚¬Âº  Geography: Its Nature and Perspectives

• Ă¢â‚¬Âº  Population and Migration

• Ă¢â‚¬Âº  Cultural Patterns and Processes

• Ă¢â‚¬Âº  Political Organization of Space

• Ă¢â‚¬Âº  Agriculture, Food Production, and Rural Land Use

• Ă¢â‚¬Âº  Industrialization and Economic Development

• Ă¢â‚¬Âº  Cities and Urban Land Use 

On top of this, I am reading and nodding along with The Reader's Odyssey: An Individualized Literature Program for Homeschooling Middle and High School Students. This kid will dutifully plod along with whatever I assign (and I have found a few that I will make him read whether he likes them or not, LOL), but I want him to continue to love literature, not simply endure it.

Anyway, I've got so many books on hold, on my nightstand, on order... It will definitely be summer before I come close to finalizing the list for this course, and then it's going to be a whopper, because I like the idea of presenting myriad options of fantastic choices and then letting him choose from those what his final reading list will be.

This is maybe the most fun I've had planning, I will say, after homeschooling this kid from the very beginning! :D 

• Like 3

At what point are you coordinating the Great Courses videos with the History of the Ancient World? 

Here is what I have so far...

Math:  Geometry.  I own Jacobs so we will try that first.  Not sure if it will be the best fit, but we will give it a shot.

History:  History of the Ancient World with Study Guide, and Great Courses Understanding Greek & Roman Technology

Science:  Chemistry

English:  We are going to try WWS again for writing.  Attempted it in 7th grade, it was too much and we put it away.  Also using MP Book of Roots and Editor in Chief.  List of books to read and discuss TBD.

Logic:  James Madison Critical Thinking 

Foreign Language:  No idea.  May wait until 10th grade.

Elective:  Considering OM Integrated Drawing and/or Health

PE:  Tennis

At what point are you coordinating the Great Courses videos with the History of the Ancient World? 

Hmmm, great question.  I will have to sit down and work on this soon.  Will keep you posted!!

• 1 month later...

I did get a head's up on a few of the classes our local co-op will be offering.  We haven't done co-op classes before, but my DD ended up participating in their teen sports nights and enjoyed it and got along well with the other kids.  They won't publish their class list til late summer and signups probably won't be until August 1, so hopefully the classes my DD wants will work into our schedule!

At home:

Saxon Algebra 1, then roll into Jacob's Geometry as soon as Algebra 1 is finished.  I'd like her to get through Algebra 1 & 2 and Geometry before the start of 11th grade.  

Holt Biology

R&S English 8, the first half of LLATL Gold World Literature, CAP Writing & Rhetoric: hopefully we'll get through at least Book 6 by the end of 9th grade

Duiker & Spielvogel's World History to 1500

Breaking the Barrier French 1 along with Mango online.  We'll see if this is actually going to fit into the schedule, we may wait until after she's done with ASL to start French.

Home Ec: Martha Stewart's Cooking School Cookbook, Chinese cooking, sewing and quilting

Online: 

ASL Academy 101 this summer, 102 this fall.  

At the Co-op, hopefully: 

High School PE and Teen sports nights

Teen Instrumental Music group (guitars, banjos, violins, etc.) DD is looking forward to the opportunity to play music with someone other than her little brother!

Service projects: 

4-H Junior Leaders

Coaching Peewee soccer

This will be our first high schooler, so I've been researching and planning all year.  This is not my strongly academic student, so I'm definitely nervous about next year.  Here's what I've planned so far:

Math: Saxon Algebra 1

Science: Holt Biology

English: R&S English 8, LLATL Gold World Literature Just the Ancient and Medieval Lit portions of LLATL, Lots of mythology, particularly Greek and Norse

History: Ancients.  Either Beautiful Feet's Ancient History Pack or SWB's History of the Ancient World or Spielvogel's World History to 1500

Foreign Language: Sign Language: ASL Academy 101 this summer, 102 in the fall, French 1: Breaking The Barrier French 1, and adding in Mango from our library

Electives: 0.5 credits of Music (Guitar, outside lessons), 0.5 credits of Home Ec- Martha Stewart's Cooking School cookbook, along with experimenting with Chinese cooking.  Plus sewing.), 0.5 credits of PE

Edited to add: I'm hoping to have her take Bravewriter's Kidswrite intermediate this spring or early summer, and then fit in the Expository Essay class in the fall.

I just ordered her CAP Writing and Rhetoric Narrative 2.  If that goes well, we'll try to do Book 4 over the summer, and then do Books 5 and 6 or Books 5, 6, and 7 for 9th grade.  

Soccer

4-H: Beef cattle, Breeding beef, dog, sewing and quilting, gardening

• Like 2

This will be my ninth 9th grader  :laugh:

TT Alg II

Biblioplan Year 2 for history, geography & lit. Will toss in some lit guides. 

Apologia Biology

Analytical Grammar or Our Mother Tongue...not really sure yet. 

The Power In Your Hands Writing non-fiction

French-Not sure what we will use yet

• Like 6

I've been watching this thread for awhile now and decided it was time to jump in!  Our DD 14 will start 9th grade in the fall with the following lineup....all paid and ready to go:

Pre-Calc (MrDMath.com)

Lights Camera Action - English (Open Tent Academy)

Wars of the 20th Century - History (Open Tent Academy)

ASL 202 (ASL Academy CurrClick)

Art History (Open Tent Academy)

Deaf Culture (Spring Semester, Open Tent Academy)

Our only issue is with science, and DD wants a career in the medical field.  (You'd think I'd have this subject nailed down by now!)

We're considering Biology (FundaFunda) or Pre-Ap/Advanced Biology (AIM Academy).  

DD and I both like to have our plan ironed-out early and ready to go, so we need to make a decision soon. I'm just not sure which way to go. Hopefully, we'll make a decision soon.

• Like 1

I've been watching this thread for awhile now and decided it was time to jump in! Our DD 14 will start 9th grade in the fall with the following lineup....all paid and ready to go:

Pre-Calc (MrDMath.com)

Our only issue is with science, and DD wants a career in the medical field. (You'd think I'd have this subject nailed down by now!)

We're considering Biology (FundaFunda) or Pre-Ap/Advanced Biology (AIM Academy).

DD and I both like to have our plan ironed-out early and ready to go, so we need to make a decision soon. I'm just not sure which way to go. Hopefully, we'll make a decision soon.

For medicine you will need a good grounding Bio, but also Chem and Physics. You may elect to do AP Bio but no that most colleges have a general biology (which AP would go towards) and Bio for majors that is more advanced that you'll have to take anyway (rarely they give you credit for the advanced biology for majors with an AP score of 5). Just a heads up :-)
  • Like 2

English: I'd want to outsource but feel particular about this. I want mainly WRITING instruction, practice and feedback with literature woven in. We are doing FOEW with WHA and it's excellent but I'm not confident in moving to the FOAW course that is next in their line-up. I have a local option that I'm looking into while looking at many online options. So many of the online courses seem too heavy! I don't want 7-10 hours of homework on top of 3 hours in class just for one English credit. 

As the year is coming to a close, I'd like to comment on this. I have a kid in FOEW and the course that will be FOAW next year. Hands down, FOEW is much more difficult than FOAW (Honors Comp). My allergic-to-the-pencil DD is doing well in the class - learning quite a bit and slowly getting less reluctant about writing. While FOEW always has a couple of balls in the air, Honors Comp hardly has any homework on non-essay-due weeks. (And Honors Comp writes the same number of essays as FOEW, I think.) There are the monthly journals (commonplace journal during second semester, vocab journal during first semester) and discussion board assignments here & there, but mostly they do a lot of in-class work and slowly bite through the essays piece-by-piece. So, if you were thinking FOAW was going to be a big step up in workload, it isn't. There is some thinking involved, but after FOEW, it looks like a cake walk. (I wasn't impressed with Honors Comp for most of first semester, but I have definitely changed my tune. The teacher still drives me insane with her all-over-the-place topics and the class is completely insane from a chat box & webcam perspective, DD has learned a lot and benefited from the in-class writing exercises. Her recent English ACT score was probably at least two points higher than it would have been without the class.)

• Like 2

Next year's 9th grader...

•  Dolciani Algebra 1, with occasional forays into Foerster's Algebra 1
  • Warriner's Grammar and Comp (mostly just the grammar)
  • Anthony Weston's Rulebook for Arguments, using the Workbook for Arguments
  • continue with Latin Book One, by Scott and Horn
  • Integrated Chemistry and Physics, using DIVE
  • SL's core 100--just the history portion, replacing the literature with...
  • Lightning Lit, Early to Mid 19th Century
  • History of Art videos on Khan Academy and Drawing On the Right Side of the Brain for art credit
  • cross country and basketball with a local school for P.E credit

• Like 3

As the year is coming to a close, I'd like to comment on this. I have a kid in FOEW and the course that will be FOAW next year. Hands down, FOEW is much more difficult than FOAW (Honors Comp). My allergic-to-the-pencil DD is doing well in the class - learning quite a bit and slowly getting less reluctant about writing. While FOEW always has a couple of balls in the air, Honors Comp hardly has any homework on non-essay-due weeks. (And Honors Comp writes the same number of essays as FOEW, I think.) There are the monthly journals (commonplace journal during second semester, vocab journal during first semester) and discussion board assignments here & there, but mostly they do a lot of in-class work and slowly bite through the essays piece-by-piece. So, if you were thinking FOAW was going to be a big step up in workload, it isn't. There is some thinking involved, but after FOEW, it looks like a cake walk. (I wasn't impressed with Honors Comp for most of first semester, but I have definitely changed my tune. The teacher still drives me insane with her all-over-the-place topics and the class is completely insane from a chat box & webcam perspective, DD has learned a lot and benefited from the in-class writing exercises. Her recent English ACT score was probably at least two points higher than it would have been without the class.)

RootAnn,

Thanks. This is helpful. How wonderful for your daughter! Wow, that must really encourage you. 

My son is in the T/Th morning class. He's losing steam but grasping to finish. Mrs. Lange is just awesome! 

I'm not sure if I should re-register for FOAW or not. I'm highly interested in pre-Rhetoric with WTMA because if that goes well he can continue that progression.

Are they reading books and writing about them? Are they using the Schaeffer method or some other method? Maybe you could share a bit about how the essays are taught. I don't understand the progression from FOEW to FOAW. 

The wild chat box/webcam might be the undoing of my son with significant ADHD issues; sitting through a 90m class is tough enough for him. I wonder if he'd be able to focus at all .... 

I think I'll send an email to WTMA and ask about pre-Rhetoric. I really want another year of focused writing instruction with too much "other". 

Just when I think we've got it all figured out, I get an email from the publisher of the One Year Adventure Novel (which my DD is planning on doing later in HS) about a new program called Byline.  My daughter really liked the samples she watched. 

I did get a head's up on a few of the classes our local co-op will be offering.  We haven't done co-op classes before, but my DD ended up participating in their teen sports nights and enjoyed it and got along well with the other kids.  They won't publish their class list til late summer and signups probably won't be until August 1, so hopefully the classes my DD wants will work into our schedule!

At home:

Saxon Algebra 1, then roll into Jacob's Geometry as soon as Algebra 1 is finished.  I'd like her to get through Algebra 1 & 2 and Geometry before the start of 11th grade.  

Holt Biology

R&S English 8, the first half of LLATL Gold World Literature, CAP Writing & Rhetoric: hopefully we'll get through at least Book 6 by the end of 9th grade

Duiker & Spielvogel's World History to 1500

Breaking the Barrier French 1 along with Mango online.  We'll see if this is actually going to fit into the schedule, we may wait until after she's done with ASL to start French.

Home Ec: Martha Stewart's Cooking School Cookbook, Chinese cooking, sewing and quilting

Online: 

ASL Academy 101 this summer, 102 this fall.  

At the Co-op, hopefully: 

High School PE and Teen sports nights

Teen Instrumental Music group (guitars, banjos, violins, etc.) DD is looking forward to the opportunity to play music with someone other than her little brother!

Service projects: 

4-H Junior Leaders

Coaching Peewee soccer

Honors Biology: Miller & Levine + some classic texts + multiple resources for labs

AP Human Geography: PA Homeschoolers

English: Excellence in Literature 2, Elegant Essay + How to Read a Book like a Professor, Essential Literary Terms

Spanish 4: Duolingo + italki + misc CLEP review materials (She's just finished all 3 levels of the Galore Park SYRWTL Spanish series, so we're polishing for a trip to Spain in May and then the CLEP test, then she'll probably be done unless she wants to take college courses at our local uni in later years)

Algebra 3: Art of Problem Solving Intermediate Algebra (+/- AoPS Number Theory, time permitting)

Music: piano, fiddle, etc.

Extras: FIRST Robotics team; local nonprofit outdoor education school volunteering/mentoring

• Like 3

This will be my first 9th grader.  We are in a co-op for all except math.

Math-Algebra II (Lial's) or Geometry (Jurgensen)

History-Omnibus II

Lit/writing-Omnibus II (thinking of using Lost tools of Writing 1 during summer to add to the writing)

Science-chemistry (Zumdahl) World of chemistry (I'll be teaching this and the lab)

Foreign language-Spanish BJU (they will be finishing up 1 and starting 2, so 3 years to get BJU Spanish 1&2 done, also supplementing with Mango)

Electives

Bible-I don't have enough faith to be an atheist 

Art appreciation                                   

debate (still trying to decide, they will be using a book from CAP)

PE-summer swim

Will summer swim be enough to count as 0.5 credit?  She was swimming 5-6 hours/wk last summer.

Edited by hsmom08
  • Like 1

Dd will be 14 and starting 9th in August.

MATH: Elementary & Intermediate algebra: a combined course ABeka Algebra 1

ENGLISH: finish The Good & the Beautiful level 7 then Illuminating Literature vol. 1

HISTORY/GEOGRAPHY: Streams of Civilzation Vol.1 with Map Trek (maybe) TG&TB History 1&2 for US & World History, ABeka Geography

SCIENCE: ABeka biology with lab

ELECTIVES: 

Bible: The Most Important Thing You'll Ever Study - Old Testament ABeka Life Management and New Testament

Foreign language: Korean using several resources

Total Health (one semester) ABeka

Home Economics/Nutrition (one semester) Healthy Home Economics and Light Speed Nutrition

Piano

updated: 8/14

Edited by Mona
  • Like 3

Update! Boy did our plans change.

Trinqueta enrolled in the Memoria Press Online Diploma Program. Dh strongly preferred that she attend a "real" high school (I know, I know, but what are you going to do? Most of his colleagues are in Europe or LatAm and think homeschool is totally weird and life destroying and freely share those opinions.) T did a class with MPOA and liked it and they have been around for a long time (for an online school). I like the fact that they have experience with applying to selective schools and are NCAA approved which will make my life easier.

So, T is signed up for

Henle Latin I-V (this will mostly be review but after two different textbooks in two years with holes and a year off, review is good)

Geometry (Jurgensen, Brown) so rigorous but not over the top

Biology (Holt) I like that they use a secular textbook and that it's NCAA approved.

Classical Studies I (Greeks, Iliad, Odyssey) This will be partly review but from a more detailed perspective and with more history.

Comp I This uses the MP progymnasmata series. I think it will be a good complement to WWS and Bravewriter.

Short Story This course focuses on literary analysis using short stories. I wanted to get in a 6th class before T starts any DE and this seemed to complement the Comp class without an overwhelming workload.

We'll still be doing Spanish on our own.

T is rowing which takes up a lot of time and singing in two choirs next year. I think she'll also continue with her laid back string ensemble and a few sailing weekends but those depend on time management and might have to go.

Edited by chiguirre
  • Like 4

This should be the final list for DS. I think we are set to go! Books already purchased and on the shelves for next year. We will finish out this year into summer... then take a couple of weeks 100% off... and then start up with the non-outsourced classes (Gov, English, Psychology) in late summer.

For Sure:

1) Saxon Advanced Math with WTMA with the intent to take either the SAT II &/or CLEP for College Algebra at the end of the year

2) Spanish II (local co-op)

3) AP U.S. Government & Politics
U.S. Government (with the intent to CLEP)

4) Chemistry I (local co-op this year. Will take AP Chem next year and AP Physics jr year)

5) English
I have a plan, finally. :)

6) Speech and Debate

There is a local class/group for this that he will enroll in.

7/7.5) AP Geography &/or AP Psychology

Ideally, he could take the Psych CLEP mid-year and then take the AP Geography test next May. I've heard that both can be done in a semester, but we haven't tried that yet. So, we may go with this plan initially, and if the Psych takes longer than expected... just take that CLEP or the AP in May and call it good. I already have a syllabus for each subject approved by the College Board, so it'll be easy to throw together Geography if we want to in semester 2.

Edited by hopskipjump
  • Like 1

Already changed my mind from what I posted a couple weeks ago!

Math- Algebra 2 WTMA (AOPS class)

English- Expository Writing III WTMA

History- College Prep American History (Memoria Press Academy)

Science- Physics (still deciding on provider for this)

Elective- Logic 1/2 (Memoria Press Academy)

Elective- Health (WTMA - this is a required class for our state and I hate trying to squeeze it in and my ds loves the teacher)

He will take the Counting and Probability summer class at WTMA for the .5 credit.

Probably not attending our homeschool co-op at all so we'll punt the foreign language until later in high school and do it de.

My older kids took more credits but this seems like a heavy load for 9th grade and I realized at the end of high school that my other guys didn't need so many credits.

Updated again hopefully for the last time! Ds is registered in Clover Creek Physics so that is settled. He also decided he really wants to go to our co-op for social reasons. He is picking up biology and world geography there. I do not expect either of those to be terribly rigorous and he is a strong, motivated student so it should be ok. I think that is our final schedule :)

• Like 1

This will be my 2nd 9th grader but last child since we only have two kids. I've started planning, but we attend a co-op that involves some of our subjects. We have our high school planning meeting Feb. 3rd, so I'll know more after that.

Geometry: Teaching Textbooks

Spanish 2: Breaking the Barrier, adding Visual Link

Geography: Combination of Glencoe Geography textbook and the free course here: https://allinonehighschool.com/world-geography/

English (Lit/Grammar/Composition): BJU online 9th grade (started working on it this month), co-op is using MP Poetry and Prose Book II

Science: This will be done through co-op. Dive Earth with additional sources added in

Bible: Still looking but like Positive Action for Christ. I haven't use any of the middle school courses with him, so I might do Wise Up.

Health/PE: Co-op will have a hands on health class. He does swim year round but competes more in the summer.

There is talk of our homeschool support group having an etiquette/cotillion class with a formal at the end.

Fine Arts: Co-Op will have a drawing class. I may add in art appreciation from allinone high school (above).

We are stopping formal piano lessons to save money. He performs in a drama ministry team at church and does several choreographed numbers in a big program at Christmas. I may log all those hours to add in to the cotillion class as performing fine arts/dance. 

Now I'm considering doing Oak Meadow's World History and spreading it over 2 years and adding in geography all along. I'm still unsure what to do about Bible. I am not even sure I want a curriculum, but I'd love to have something over the entire bible if he does world history. 

• Like 3

I know my plans will probably change a hundred times between now and the fall but here's what I'm thinking at this point. This is my second, and last high schooler and he is TOTALLY interested in different things than DD16. So using things twice doesn't happen much in our homeschool, unfortunately, so I get to re-create the wheel all over again  :huh:

Geometry (he has been using AoPS for Beginning and Intermediate Algebra, but not sure what he will use next year-DH is in charge of math!)

Lost Tools of Writing and Bravewriter classes for writing with Windows to the World for literary analysis

Build Your Library year 9 which includes Pre-History, Geology (which I will supplement with an online class/lab) and Literature (which we will use as free reading since the books are very interesting to DS but not very meaty to use for English IMO)

Foreign Language TBD (doing Japanese this year but may decide to try something else)

Political Geography (may just call it World Geography for transcript) to supplement MUN club activities

Health (nutrition/cooking/PE)

Band and private lessons at the public high school (also maybe a drama class or speech)

MUN club and Boy Scouts

• Like 3

Now I'm considering doing Oak Meadow's World History and spreading it over 2 years and adding in geography all along. I'm still unsure what to do about Bible. I am not even sure I want a curriculum, but I'd love to have something over the entire bible if he does world history.

I got the table of contents from the company and only 5 lessons are in the ancient world. Doing it over two years means I could take longer on any lesson. I'm going to research some possible ancient supplement.

• Like 2

Okay, I'm back to doing world geography only and waiting on world history. I realized that next year is going to be challenging with Spanish 2 in the mix. I'd really like to do some ancient literature when we do world history, so I'm going to do world geography next year and world history starting the next. I still may spread it over two years, but somehow I'd have to include gov/econ. Maybe 1/2 credit of each during each of the two years. 

• Like 1

editing.....

Tentatively,  

English (Lit and Comp), History (Ancients, into Middle Ages), and Philosophy/Worldview - with friends using King's Meadow lectures, Understanding the Faith, and other resources

Math - DO Algebra

Science - Guest Hollow Biology, with Biology labs outsourced locally

Elective - undetermined

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 1

English: Lit. from BF Medieval, Beyond the Book Report Season 3, Daily Grammar Practice

MUS Geometry

Beautiful Feet Medieval

PAC Conceptual Physics with Physics 101 video and additional reading

Art of Argument

French through a local class

Not sure if we'll do an official Bible credit or not

Ballet, Piano, Youth choir

CM family lessons in poetry, artist study, composers, nature etc.

Edited by KeriJ
  • Like 5

I've been watching this thread for awhile now and decided it was time to jump in!  Our DD 14 will start 9th grade in the fall with the following lineup....all paid and ready to go:

Pre-Calc (MrDMath.com)

Our only issue is with science, and DD wants a career in the medical field.  (You'd think I'd have this subject nailed down by now!)

Have you used Open Tent  before?  The classes look great, but I'm wondering how the classes are more then a short description.

No, HeatherL, we've never used Open Tent before, but are really looking forward to the classes. Prior to paying, I communicated with Eva Lynn GoldsteinĂ¢â‚¬â€œMeola, M.Ed. (founder of Open Tent), as well as the teachers providing our other classes of interest.  I found every instructor to be prompt, informative and very willing to answer our questions.  If you have concerns or questions, I'd definitely suggest contacting Eva.  

English: Lit. from BF Medieval, Beyond the Book Report Season 3, Daily Grammar Practice

MUS Geometry

Beautiful Feet Medieval

PAC Conceptual Physics with Physics 101 video and additional reading

Art of Argument

Not sure if we'll do an official Bible credit or not

Do you have Beyond the Book Report in hand yet? Would you share your thoughts? Ive seen it on SCM's recommendations and am considering it for my 9th grader next year. I feel like I need SOME structure/guidance. (Just not quite as much structure  as IEW gives...)

Do you have Beyond the Book Report in hand yet? Would you share your thoughts? Ive seen it on SCM's recommendations and am considering it for my 9th grader next year. I feel like I need SOME structure/guidance. (Just not quite as much structure  as IEW gives...)

Ds did most of Season 3 this year in our co-op. It was challenging and a great year for him. Do you have specific questions? I actually own all three seasons, but he went straight into the 3rd. 

Edited by mom31257
  • Like 1

Ds did most of Season 3 this year in our co-op. It was challenging and a great year for him. Do you have specific questions? I actually own all three seasons, but he went straight into the 3rd. 

I'm having a hard time getting a feel for what the program looks like from the samples that are given. What would a week's worth of work look like? How often and how long are the videos? 

• Like 1

I'm having a hard time getting a feel for what the program looks like from the samples that are given. What would a week's worth of work look like? How often and how long are the videos? 

There are three units in the program: essays, oral presentations, and research papers. The videos are definitely not daily but rather one for each type of assignment within the unit. The schedule is set up by teaching days, but you are not told how many days to work on an assignment in between those teaching days. This gives you the flexibility to tailor it to your schedule as well as your child's ability. The program includes detailed rubrics for each assignment. 

In the essay unit, there are four videos. One is for the teacher only. The other three are to teach the literary analysis essay, the personal essay, and the SAT essay.  There are four literary analysis essays assigned, most over short stories included in the curriculum. Two personal essays are assigned as well as two SAT essays. She suggests continuing doing timed essays periodically. 

There are four videos in the oral presentation unit. Some of these are for the purpose of showing examples of good and bad presentations. Only one oral presentation is assigned over a book of the student's choosing.

There are two videos in the research paper unit, one for each type assigned. Those types are information research paper and argumentative research paper. The first is to be done over an author's life. The second will be over a book of the student's choosing.

My son basically did an essay every two weeks for the whole first half of the school year. We had a family tragedy in the middle of the oral presentation part and beginning of the research paper, so our schedule was thrown off. I shortened my son's assignment on the research paper; however, we was the youngest in the entire class. I didn't think he should do the same as a 12th grader while he was in 8th anyway. Our co-op didn't get to the last research paper, but I hope to assign it to my son next year. . The teacher assigned another oral presentation instead. The research paper definitely took longer than the essays.

I hope this helps! 

• Like 2

This will be my ninth 9th grader  :laugh:

TT Alg II

Biblioplan Year 2 for history, geography & lit. Will toss in some lit guides. 

Apologia Biology

Analytical Grammar or Our Mother Tongue...not really sure yet. 

The Power In Your Hands Writing non-fiction

French-Not sure what we will use yet

Quiver!  It's good to see you here. It seems like it's been quite a while since I've seen you on the boards, but I used to like reading your posts!

• Like 1

There are three units in the program: essays, oral presentations, and research papers. The videos are definitely not daily but rather one for each type of assignment within the unit. The schedule is set up by teaching days, but you are not told how many days to work on an assignment in between those teaching days. This gives you the flexibility to tailor it to your schedule as well as your child's ability. The program includes detailed rubrics for each assignment. 

In the essay unit, there are four videos. One is for the teacher only. The other three are to teach the literary analysis essay, the personal essay, and the SAT essay.  There are four literary analysis essays assigned, most over short stories included in the curriculum. Two personal essays are assigned as well as two SAT essays. She suggests continuing doing timed essays periodically. 

There are four videos in the oral presentation unit. Some of these are for the purpose of showing examples of good and bad presentations. Only one oral presentation is assigned over a book of the student's choosing.

There are two videos in the research paper unit, one for each type assigned. Those types are information research paper and argumentative research paper. The first is to be done over an author's life. The second will be over a book of the student's choosing.

My son basically did an essay every two weeks for the whole first half of the school year. We had a family tragedy in the middle of the oral presentation part and beginning of the research paper, so our schedule was thrown off. I shortened my son's assignment on the research paper; however, we was the youngest in the entire class. I didn't think he should do the same as a 12th grader while he was in 8th anyway. Our co-op didn't get to the last research paper, but I hope to assign it to my son next year. . The teacher assigned another oral presentation instead. The research paper definitely took longer than the essays.

I hope this helps! 

This was very helpful.  I hadn't gotten a good feel for it yet either.

• Like 1

Here are the current plans for our daughter. Still a little to figure out.

Math: Algebra 1

English: co-op writing class, and a literature list that is still being worked on, and maybe fix-it grammar

History: world history using great courses lectures and a text TBD

Science: hopefully chemistry at co-op

Foreign language: ASL 1 and 2 at the CC

General Psychology at CC

Fine Arts: drama and choir at co-op

PE: karate at co-op and volleyball

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This was very helpful.  I hadn't gotten a good feel for it yet either.

I own Season 1 and 2 if you have questions about those. I've not used them fully, but I'm having my son do one of the sections of Unit 1 this month. Our co-op 7th-8th grade class is using those two this coming school year. 

• Like 1

I'll add what we know so far...

Math: DO Geometry (starting in summer) and DO Algebra 2 

Science: WTMA Biology

English: Blue Tent English (not feeling positive about it, though)

Latin: Lukeion 

History: AP Human Geography (hopefully approved by CB)

Linguistics (Not sure what I'll pull together; she has done almost all of Great Courses)

Coding maybe?

DD wanted mainly outsourced classes.  

In addition to horse shows, she will ride and work at the barn for 10-15 hours a week.

• Like 2

Linguistics (Not sure what I'll pull together; she has done almost all of Great Courses)

It might be all review, but have you looked at OnlineG3's Intro to Linguistics class for the fall? It is a Teen Focus class, so less of the younger crowd than some of OnlineG3's other classes. It covers prep for the NACLO, too. I considered it for my dd#1 for the fall, but ultimately didn't sign her up because I don't want to over-schedule her.

• Like 1

It might be all review, but have you looked at OnlineG3's Intro to Linguistics class for the fall? It is a Teen Focus class, so less of the younger crowd than some of OnlineG3's other classes. It covers prep for the NACLO, too. I considered it for my dd#1 for the fall, but ultimately didn't sign her up because I don't want to over-schedule her.

We may have a winner!!!  Thank you!!

I just need to check about grades.  I didn't think they gave them.  That is a big motivator for this dd.  

We may have a winner!!!  Thank you!!

I just need to check about grades.  I didn't think they gave them.  That is a big motivator for this dd.  

I don't think they do. But, she could focus on the NACLO instead as a substitute-to-a-grade motivator? Has she taken it before? 

I have a kid who does MUCH BETTER in outsourced classes than she does for me. She stays on track (mostly) in terms of assignments & writes higher quality work for outsiders, so I completely understand the outsourcing & grade motivation. Linguistics is an interest for my dd#1 as she loves languages, so that would be part of her motivation in doing well. Is it an interest for yours?

• Like 1

RootAnn, yes!  She has watched most of John McWhorter's Great Courses, Anne Curzan's Great Courses and did McHenry's Excavating English.  She knew she wanted to get more technical with linguistics and so I figured I would do a textbook (boring, I know).  She was doing Spanish and Latin at the beginning of the year, but it proved a bit too much. She will be doing Lukeion's Latin in the fall.

Any advice?

RootAnn, yes!  She has watched most of John McWhorter's Great Courses, Anne Curzan's Great Courses and did McHenry's Excavating English.  She knew she wanted to get more technical with linguistics and so I figured I would do a textbook (boring, I know).  She was doing Spanish and Latin at the beginning of the year, but it proved a bit too much. She will be doing Lukeion's Latin in the fall.

Any advice?

I'd contact Onlineg3 and ask for more info about the course. You'd want to make sure it would be 1) interesting and 2) cover more than she already knows. 

I can only point to past threads with resources. Here's one on Linguistics resouces. After Excavating English. Anthropological Linguistics

• 3 months later...

Still working out the details, but using various resources: R&S, The Reader's Odyssey, Writer's Inc.

MUS Geometry   VideoText Algebra to finish both Algebra 1 and 2

Beautiful Feet Medieval:  SCM Middle Ages, supplementing with BF

PAC Conceptual Physics with Physics 101 video and additional reading   Physical Science using Master Books General Science with additional resources.

Art of Argument

Bible reading and memory

Updating what we are actually doing now.

Edited by KeriJ
  • Like 1

Dd will be 14 and starting 9th in August.

MATH: Elementary & Intermediate algebra: a combined course

ENGLISH: finish The Good & the Beautiful level 7 then Illuminating Literature

HISTORY/GEOGRAPHY: Streams of Civilzation Vol.1 with Map Trek (maybe)

SCIENCE: ABeka biology with lab

ELECTIVES: 

Bible: The Most Important Thing You'll Ever Study - Old Testament

Foreign language: Korean

Total Health (one semester)

Home Economics/Nutrition (one semester)

Piano

What are you using for Home Ec/Nutrition?  Doing your own thing?

What are you using for Home Ec/Nutrition?  Doing your own thing?

We made a few changes to our curriculum choices since I posted last. I'll have to go update that. For Home Ec/Nutrition, we are using Healthy Home Ec as a spine and the suggested video Light Speed Nutrition which we have not watched yet.

http://www.rainbowresource.com/proddtl.php?id=058442

http://www.rainbowresource.com/proddtl.php?id=051984

We started out following the shopping lists and making the listed recipes, but once we got to meal planning, I started having my children more involved in weekly meal planning using food we normally eat with budget in mind and some of the items from her lists as they come up. We are not big on desserts, so making a dessert every week doesn't really work for us. She basically has a breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert each week. We continue to read each lesson for the articles on healthy choices and nutrition and my children do the research, homework, or write a paragraph on the topic whichever is required. They also learn hospitality and party planning. We are on week five of this course and we've all learned a few new things worth implementing into our habits.

• 2 weeks later...

KeriJ, on 30 Apr 2017 - 3:02 PM, said:snapback.png

English: Lit. from BF Medieval, Beyond the Book Report Season 3, Daily Grammar Practice

Still working out the details, but using various resources: R&S, Writing across the curriculum using WWTB 2, Writer's Inc., and Grading with a Purple Crayon.  Literature, informally using TWEM and The Reader's Odyssey for guidance.

MUS Geometry   VideoText Algebra to finish both Algebra 1 and 2

Beautiful Feet Medieval:  SCM Middle Ages, supplementing with BF

PAC Conceptual Physics with Physics 101 video and additional reading   Physical Science using Master Books General Science with additional resources.

Art of Argument

Bible reading and memory

Keri, what do you think of The Reader's Odyssey so far?

KeriJ, on 30 Apr 2017 - 3:02 PM, said:snapback.png

Keri, what do you think of The Reader's Odyssey so far?

I honestly love it. (not as much love for the Purple Crayon book...too wordy). But the Reader's Odyssey gave me the confidence to do my own lit., using books we have, without killing the love of reading. I'm following the 9th grade plan pretty closely, and I am very happy with how it is going so far.

• Like 1