Menu

Archery enthusiasts - I need assistance

Pegasus

DD signed up for an archery class.  She needs to provide her own arrows.  We know nothing about the sport/equipment.

The instructor specified that each student bring to class:

• six arrows for recurve bow, 30-50 pound draw
  • uncut
  • preferably not wooden
  • target points

We went to several stores yesterday but got frustrated because we couldn't tell if any of the arrows we were looking at would meet these specs. Customer service was sadly poor.  Plus, I was blown away by the expense.  The one pack of 6 arrows that we THINK met the specs at one store was over $50.

Can you please take a look at this product (link below) and advise if it meets the requirements?  If not, can you point to a reasonably priced alternative (doesn't have to be on this website).  Also, can I assume that arrows would come with target points or do I need to order those separately?  Much appreciated!!

Easton Archery Youth XX75 Genesis Arrows - 6 Pack

Dicks Sporting Goods

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=23124016&cp=4406646.70516396.4414427.4414430&categoryId=13128697

The arrows is the most critical item but we are also trying to find an arm guard and finger tab.  The youth arm guard we saw was way too small but all the others seem to be made for big men. It would extend beyond the width of her arm.  I'm assuming we don't want that.  Any advice here?

The arrows are fine. When you say the youth arm guard was too small do you mean she can't get it around her arm or it doesn't cover her whole forearm? The armguard is not meant to cover the whole forearm unless you buy a sleeve. It leaves about an inch gap above the wrist and below the elbow so it doesn't interfere with movement. It also does not cover completely from top to bottom. It is only meant to cover the area that the string passes by closely to the skin.

Thank you!  The youth arm guard was packaged so she didn't try it on.  We just held it up to her forearm. It looked small and covered only a small portion of her forearm.

Edited to add:Oh, I should clarify.  DD is 17 so not a younger child. 

Edited by Pegasus

You can contact Lancaster Archery Supply. We had ordered from them and they have always been very nice about answering any questions we may have regarding archery.

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/

I chatted with an online rep. He said that he couldn't recommend a specific arrow without knowing her draw length. I thought that wasn't needed if you were getting uncut arrows.

Edited to add that they are measuring the students on Monday.

Edited by Pegasus

I'm sure the instructor could point you in the right direction. I only use compound bows but I'm pretty sure any fiberglass arrows that fit your bow will be fine. If you had hunting tips you'd know it haha. They're pretty mean looking, plus $$.

I had DD send the instructor an email and she can talk to her in class on Monday. They are supposed to have arrows for Weds class. Good to know about the tips.

Quite the learning curve on a new activity!

Generally we size beginners by having them extend their arms straight forward and placing the nock on their sternum. The arrows need to extend a few inches longer than their fingertips in that position. If they are shorter than her arms they are dangerous, if they are a bit longer it won't matter at this stage. Since she is just starting, I wouldn't overthink it.

The finger tab is non-negotiable. It prevents nerve damage to the fingers.

The arm guard isn't "necessary" if your child has fantastic form, but string slap can leave nasty bruises, and turn a fun activity into a dreaded one. Even the olympic archers use them. Our club requires arm guards for all beginners, so don't cross them off your list without talking to the coach. Any size is fine as long as she can bend her wrist and elbow while wearing it.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Do you have a local archery shop?  That would be a good place to start if possible.  In archery it's very important to get equipment that fits the archer.  The draw length and poundage are super critical for comfort and consistency.  All too often I see new shooters with hand me down equipment that doesn't fit them correctly and the bow string is back behind their ear.