Menu

The job hunting process sucks

PeachyDoodle

DH was laid off in December. Right before Christmas, he applied for a job with a large corporation.

They called within a few days to set up an interview. Since then, he's had at least EIGHT phone interviews, plus a face-to-face meeting with six members of the team he'd be working with. The latter was on Monday. The hiring manager said he could expect to hear from them within a day or two.

The only thing contact he had for the rest of the week was an email asking him to fill out a more detailed application than he'd originally been required to submit when he first applied. Did that.

Finally spoke to the recruiter from HR this evening. She said they still have interviews to conduct next week and he will hopefully hear something by Friday.

I know there are a lot of job seekers out there, and companies want to be sure they hire the right person, but argh! WHY does this process have to be so grueling??? Surely there is a better way!

• Like 1

I agree that job hunting sucks. He's fortunate to even be in the interview process. 

But yeah, EIGHT interviews?? That seems excessive. Either you know you want to hire him or you don't.

I get bogged down in the application process. You have to submit SO freaking many applications, resumes, and cover letters

to then hope to MAYBE even get a "thanks for applying but we've chosen someone else" if even that!

I'll pray for closure for you all in this so you can stop biting your nails and actually have some income!

• Like 3

It's a huge multi-national corporation. I'm not sure how much that has to do with it. Most of them were peer interviews. The company seems to put a lot of emphasis on making sure the candidate is a good fit with the existing team culture. Which is a great thing. But yeah -- this week has been particularly hard because we thought he would be hearing something soon.

The recruiter told him tonight that she's had nothing but excellent, positive feedback from everyone he's talked to, so there's that. Knowing that he's done so well and is soooo close makes me even more on edge. This would be a huge step up for him!

• Like 5

It's a huge multi-national corporation. I'm not sure how much that has to do with it. Most of them were peer interviews. The company seems to put a lot of emphasis on making sure the candidate is a good fit with the existing team culture. Which is a great thing. But yeah -- this week has been particularly hard because we thought he would be hearing something soon.

The recruiter told him tonight that she's had nothing but excellent, positive feedback from everyone he's talked to, so there's that. Knowing that he's done so well and is soooo close makes me even more on edge. This would be a huge step up for him!

Eight is a lot, but my dh works for a company with about 2000 employees (not huge, IMO) and had 4 interviews overall--mainly because so and so was out of town and they wanted a chance to talk to him, too, blah blah--AND he had to write a poem as part of his application process.  LOL

It's a huge multi-national corporation. I'm not sure how much that has to do with it. Most of them were peer interviews.

My husband had phone interviews with all the department people who could not be there for the peer interview. So about three phone interviews with higher ups and then a 8am to 6pm peer interview. My husband heard within three days that there was nothing wrong with his interviews but they have to finish interviewing all candidates who applied before they can confirm who gets a job.

He was doing peer interviews before Christmas and they had I think 8 candidates to interview in two weeks. So after those who make the cut for the interview, they still have to sit down and rank since they couldn't hire all who made the cut. He has interviews to conduct next month as well.

Good luck.

For DH's current position he had 3 phone interviews (not counting the half dozen with the recruiter) then an in person interview, followed by another phone interview with the big boss who wasn't there when he did his in person earlier in the week.  It would have been another in-person but they were kind enough to do it over the phone since we lived 5 hours away.  The thing is, he was the only candidate for the job that was even qualified enough to get an interview in the 6+ months that the position had been open.  He was a sure thing (they didn't tell him that until after he was hired :glare: ). He started the process in mid December 2015 and didn't start until March.  But, I'm glad they took so long because they LOVE him and he loves his job.  He just got his review today and he got 100% (big raise and bonus!). My point is that the waiting makes you sick (literally I was ill for months with the worry) but if it comes through the payoff can be great, so just hang in there. :grouphug:

• Like 4

For DH's current position he had 3 phone interviews (not counting the half dozen with the recruiter) then an in person interview, followed by another phone interview with the big boss who wasn't there when he did his in person earlier in the week.  It would have been another in-person but they were kind enough to do it over the phone since we lived 5 hours away.  The thing is, he was the only candidate for the job that was even qualified enough to get an interview in the 6+ months that the position had been open.  He was a sure thing (they didn't tell him that until after he was hired :glare: ). He started the process in mid December 2015 and didn't start until March.  But, I'm glad they took so long because they LOVE him and he loves his job.  He just got his review today and he got 100% (big raise and bonus!). My point is that the waiting makes you sick (literally I was ill for months with the worry) but if it comes through the payoff can be great, so just hang in there. :grouphug:

Sick with worry is right. The past year has been terrible for us, and it seems like every time we're about to turn the corner, we get the rug ripped out from under us again. We've both gained a ton of weight from the stress. We thought all week that he'd be getting an offer any day. And he still could, the recruiter was very positive. But there are still other candidates in the running, and it could just as easily be a no.

But thanks. If it does pay off, it will all be worth it. He has other prospects, but nothing near as good as this one. He wants it so badly, and I want it for him.

• Like 1

My husband's last job. A phone interview, 4 in person interviews, he had to submit his sat scores (30 years after he had taken that test), and take a personality test. The process took almost a year due to the travel schedules of the people who interviewed him.

Through three lengthy periods of unemployment, Husband has come to understand that the application procedure is never as important to the company as it is to the applicants.  He never expects to hear when they say they will contact him.  It's hard.

So true.  I always told my husband and kids, the interview was the most important thing in your life and the bottom of the list for the company.

I will say that the process has become pretty unbearable from my first job 3 decades ago to what it is now.

• Like 3

So true.  I always told my husband and kids, the interview was the most important thing in your life and the bottom of the list for the company.

I will say that the process has become pretty unbearable from my first job 3 decades ago to what it is now.

My own recent experience has been easier - I've been overqualified for each (quite low level) job I applied for, so either they didn't bother to interview me (because they thought I wasn't a good fit, presumably) or they treated me decently.  In each case: one interview then an answer within a week (the last time, a phone call on the same day).  The only time I had a second interview was when the original choice turned the job down and they needed to decide between two others.

My DH started a job interview with a company that said it could take 4-6 MONTHS of interviews and flying him out times to make sure he was a good fit. It was a management job with high profile people but still! The job he has now took about 2-3 months of interviews, mock proposals, and work samples. It is annoying!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My husband's last job. A phone interview, 4 in person interviews, he had to submit his sat scores (30 years after he had taken that test), and take a personality test. The process took almost a year due to the travel schedules of the people who interviewed him.

An SAT score from 30 years ago?? That is probably one of the dumbest requests from an employer I've heard of. That test, at this stage of life, proves nothing. Goodness. 

Peachydoodle, still praying for quick resolution to all of this for both of you. 

• Like 1

I will say that if dh had to write a poem or submit SAT scores, things would be looking much more bleak than they do at current!!

:lol:

LOL  That's what I was thinking at the time, but dh now works for one of the Forbes 100 Best Companies to Work For, is going to Barcelona later this year, and loves his job.  It was worth all the (odd) effort to get it!  :P

(I will say that a year earlier he went through 3 phone interviews and 3 in person interviews, including a personality test AND a test of his skills for a job that came down to dh and one other candidate and the other guy got it so I understand the frustration!!  Getting a job today is difficult and weird to me.)

When DH got his current job, there were 300 applicants THAT THEY CONSIDERED.  I don't know how many they didn't consider.

Out of the 300, he was second to the upper management folks, but first to the guy who actually hired him.  

He did get the offer, but it was 7 months after his first interview.  The company actually changed recruiters along the way.  

The process now is absolutely insane.

• Like 2