How do you feel about food banks?

athomeontheprairie

285 members have voted

1. 1. Should food banks be available?

• Yes, no questions asked
    • Yes, with questions asked
    • Yes, but users must submit documentation proving need
    • Yes, but with strict limits on use
    • Yes, but only for those with.... (please specify the requirement)
    • No, people who use them should get a job
    • No, people shouldn't ask for a hand out
    • No, if they have children and can't feed them, take away the kids
    • No
    • Required other

My dd11 volunteers at the local food bank. I've been surprised at the responses from people irl, regarding food banks.

I'd like to hear your views on food banks and the role they play in society. REGARDLESS of whether you use them, have never used them (but needed them), have never used them (for whatever reason), or have no personal need.

If I'm missing an option in the poll, let me know and I'll add it.

Yes. 

It is a shame that they are needed, and I would prefer a social net that would give people the dignity not to have to beg for food. Since this is unlikely to happen anytime soon, food banks are needed. People should not go hungry, period.

No questions asked. From all I hear about food banks, I do not think anybody who does not need the assistance will use it.

ETA: Never needed one, so no personal experience. 

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 21

We have way too many people in our state who ARE working full time but still don't make enough after high rents (Portland rents have been increasing dramatically, much faster than salaries) to have enough money for food for the whole month. Food banks are a huge help. I do think it is reasonable to limit number of visits per month or how much a family can take each visit, and questions need to be asked to do that. I believe demand outpaces supply without some limits.

• Like 2

I have tended to take their existence for granted.  I was surprised a few years ago when they started appearing in the UK, it was controverial because it was seen as a sign of a failure of the social system.

I've come to take that viewpoint - if people need food banks, its a problem.

As far as how to organize them, I do think in many cases there needs to be some administrative care taken, as there are people who will scam them and that means those in need don't get what they need.  Here this is done through the main food bank organization.  I don't know enough about it to have an opinion on how that is best done - I think to some extent how food banks are organized should be a local decision, as so much can vary.

We support our local interfaith food bank. 

I guess I don't understand what could be controversial about it. People give food. People volunteer time to help distribute food. People in need get food. Nobody is forced to be a part of the system if they don't wish to be. Why would anybody be against that?

• Like 27

The only one I know of is not a no questions asked.  The food they have is absolute crap and they basically hand you a bag of very random crap with no consideration for your health.  But I guess if you have nothing else it is better than nothing.

But I have no ill feelings towards the concept.  I wish somehow they could offer better quality food.

• Like 6

I have donated to ours from time to time.

I agree, I'd like to know what is controversial about it.  Everyone needs to eat.

I know there's been talk about whether the quality/nutrition is good, some people donate expired items, and it isn't really accessible to some people who need it.  But I haven't heard any naysayers about the general idea.

• Like 1

I don't know that I am as optimistic that few people will scam the system.  I've helped out the last few years with a Christmas outreach program, a sizable part of it is providing a Christmas dinner.  People get a turkey and groceries or a grocery car.  I was a little shocked to find that over the years a lot of things had been put in place in response to people trying to get more than they were entitled to.  This wasn't some sort of government regulation, it was the charities finding they were being taken advantage of.

I think that something similar could easily happen to food banks, if it were easy to do it.

• Like 3

I am so proud of our town's food bank. For a long time the area churches each did their own thing, but then a guy organized it and now 26 local churches cooperate to run one large food bank (Our town has about 20k residents, so it's large for a town our size).  The local private and public schools have food drives for the food bank. Businesses pull together to provide what's needed.  Through the years they have expanded to offer a homeless shelter, clothing, employment assistance, and other things for people in need.  There's a board of directors and it's all run so well.  

I want people who need help to get it. I'm encouraged that even though our town has spent the last decade suffering tough economic times that the residents who can still generously pitch in to help those less fortunate.  But I sure wish it wasn't necessary for people to have to use these services. 

• Like 15

I have worked at a food bank (briefly) and donate on an irregular basis.  I agree that they are needed; I wish they weren't needed.  I agree that some of the food is not the best quality.  I donate the same types of foods my family eats.  Lots of stuff from Aldi.  :-)   

What may be controversial is that people who are not in need sometimes go to them.  I remember one at a church where my kids had a class. A bakery dropped off lovely day-old bread.  Lots of people were in line for that bread, but only the bread. As I was walking by, one of the workers asked me if I'd like to take some.  I was shocked because - it's supposed to be for people who can't buy food!  On the other hand, bread is perishable so they might as well give it to anyone rather than throw it away.   I have also - rarely, but from time to time - heard people "bragging" about getting stuff for free from the food bank.

• Like 1

As a family we've volunteered at our huge regional food bank in the past. It's something DH and I hope to do on a regular basis when he retires. We also regularly donate (by purchasing items at a local grocery store and leaving them in a collection bin for the food bank). I've not thought a lot about it but I tend to believe it should be no questions asked. As MaeFlowers said people who want to cheat or scam will find a way to do it. I think questioning probably only serves to embarrass honest people.

• Like 2

As far as quality and selection - it's generally much better if people give money than food.  Food is expensive for them to transport and store, some things they get too much of and others not enough, and they just don't get good value per dollar that way.  People prefer to donate food which is why its so much more common.

• Like 1

I don't think that most folks realize that the food bank also helps businesses. In many states, business can't sell things like bent cans/boxes, food past a certain date {even if fresh}, etc. But they can donate it to the local food bank generally. That saves the business time & money as they don't have to pay for it to be disposed of. And they can even claim a tax write-off for the amount of the donation. 

The biggest complaint I have is that if you are a food pantry client, you are not allowed to volunteer in any capacity for that food pantry. I'd gladly help set up / take down pallets, but because I'm a client I have to stand to the side while 80yo volunteers struggle sometimes. I get that they don't want preferential treatment of a client because they help out, but geez!

• Like 6

As far as quality and selection - it's generally much better if people give money than food. Food is expensive for them to transport and store, some things they get too much of and others not enough, and they just don't get good value per dollar that way. People prefer to donate food which is why its so much more common.

When I volunteered I was also told that the donated food is of uneven quality and sizes making it trickier to fairly distribute.

She mentioned that limiting what people can take resulted in many more people trying to scam the system (multiple times through the line, recruiting people to cone pick up more bags, etc.) than when people were encouraged to just take what they needed.

• Like 4

I think I would rather see snap have a fast process line. The food bank is inefficient,but it.helps those who are freshly unemployed. The summer feeding programs and the soup kitchens seem to be healthier and serve more for far less cost per persom. I think the future is going to be the automated fast food units...get a card, and get a healthy meal. Or maybe amazon will aid meals on wheels.

The only one I know of is not a no questions asked. The food they have is absolute crap and they basically hand you a bag of very random crap with no consideration for your health. But I guess if you have nothing else it is better than nothing.

But I have no ill feelings towards the concept. I wish somehow they could offer better quality food.

All our local farms contribute heavily to ours, as do bakeries (bread) and so forth. So do our supermarkets.

But my MIL was describing the junk they give out at the one where she volunteers and I was really shocked.

• Like 1

We have volunteered and donated to our regional pantry. Some people donate junk! That's the only thing I see controversial, it's not helpful to donate rusty 10 year old cans of green beans and those are thrown away anyway.

There are several locations in the area where people can receive food including programs for students at certain schools. As far as I know it's no questions asked,but I've never been a recipient. I would hope that the food is passed out with dignity.

Our church also has a smaller food bank that has meat and other things. There isn't a set day to visit that food bank but you can let an elder or the church secretary know that you have a need and they will do their best to get you what you need. It's very private so I think that would be more comfortable to most people I know if they need some help.

As a side note my church is near a couple hospitals on a busy road, there are a lot of people who claim to need help but are taking advantage of a convenient location of the church. The local churches do have a database where they can keep track and notify each other of people who may be going church to church for help. However this tends to be for larger requests like money for rent or a utility bill, not food. The database is intended for people who don't have a relationship with the church. So people can get help, but if they are showing up every week needing $500 that's not going to happen.

• Like 2

All our local farms contribute heavily to ours, as do bakeries (bread) and so forth. So do our supermarkets.

But my MIL was describing the junk they give out at the one where she volunteers and I was really shocked.

Yeah I personally know someone who is a diabetic and got a bag with 4 bags of dried stuffing cubes, a bag of rice, and a box of baked goods.  Really?  Good grief.  What is a person supposed to even do with that many bags of stuffing cubes? 

• Like 1

Yeah I personally know someone who is a diabetic and got a bag with 4 bags of dried stuffing cubes, a bag of rice, and a box of baked goods. Really? Good grief. What is a person supposed to even do with that many bags of stuffing cubes?

Awful. My diabetic MIL made it sound great--white bread! Baked goods! White rice! Potatoes! Pasta! And meat!! Not many veggies, but by golly there's cake mix! Ugh!!! Of course that's how she eats, so she didn't see the problem. *shakes head*

• Like 1

Awful. My diabetic MIL made it sound great--white bread! Baked goods! White rice! Potatoes! Pasta! And meat!! Not many veggies, but by golly there's cake mix! Ugh!!! Of course that's how she eats, so she didn't see the problem. *shakes head*

Yeah this included zero veg or meat.  Really, nothing at all healthy for any type of diet.

• Like 1

1. If you want to help the local food bank, and you want them to offer better quality foods, donate cash. Cash is king.

2. Seriously, donate cash.

3. I'd be glad if we didn't need food banks. We have the resources to feed everybody, after all. If I thought that closing down all the food banks would prompt the government to get their collective butt in gear and do things right, I'd go for that. But I don't think that. As it is, food banks are a regrettable necessity.

4. While I understand what prompts some charities to require documentation, I also understand that for the neediest, that documentation may be hard to get. I'd rather feed ten scammers than let one kid go hungry.

• Like 22

No questions asked.

I wish their were more available, I'm sorry they are needed.

I have never used one, but MIL was the head of a statewide food bank, along with another charity, for years. I have heard a lot of stories.

Because of her, we donate very specific items - we heard the stories about the bad, carb heavy, veggie-light and protein-light food. I also try to donate coffee because they rarely get that, and it's a treat.

DS's multiple LTFAs mean we could probably not use food bank food for him. He was worried about that, and the ants to start donating allergy friendly foods. He's a good guy.

• Like 3

Food banks are very much needed and used in my area. There are (at last count) 37 non-church affiliated ones in my county alone because of the HCOL.  I'd bring that up to maybe 45 with the addition of church-affiliated ones. They have rules about the frequency that you can come to collect items, but I don't know of any that have restrictions beyond that. 

That said, I know some people still aren't aware of all the food banks around here that can help. I keep cards for local ones in my purse so when people ask me for $$ for food in parking lots (happens almost every week all year round) I can point them in the right direction. 

I think I would rather see snap have a fast process line. The food bank is inefficient,but it.helps those who are freshly unemployed. The summer feeding programs and the soup kitchens seem to be healthier and serve more for far less cost per persom. I think the future is going to be the automated fast food units...get a card, and get a healthy meal. Or maybe amazon will aid meals on wheels.

Except if you have LTFA. Because we all trust the system to be able to deal with those, right? A lot of dd's allergies are to so-called "healthy foods" - they aren't healthy for her for sure though. 

I have a school that does the summer feeding within walking distance for us. We still can't use it because they won't accommodate DD's allergies {even by just telling us which foods contain her allergens so we can safely skip those meals}. 

• Like 2

Oh and also of note - if someone is a SNAP client, they are EXPECTED to be using food pantries. SNAP isn't designed to cover a families full grocery needs, even with the full allotment - you are still expected to need to get about 30% of grocery needs through either a food pantry or paying out of pocket. Our local food bank processes SNAP Applications, and I was shocked when the caseworker told me this when I said how SNAP was't covering our needs no matter how carefully I stretched it. 

• Like 4

Oh and also of note - if someone is a SNAP client, they are EXPECTED to be using food pantries. SNAP isn't designed to cover a families full grocery needs, even with the full allotment - you are still expected to need to get about 30% of grocery needs through either a food pantry or paying out of pocket. Our local food bank processes SNAP Applications, and I was shocked when the caseworker told me this when I said how SNAP was't covering our needs no matter how carefully I stretched it. 

That is just sick.

There are no longer any "open" food banks in my area.

Two require proof from a county, state, or federal agency of low income.

The other collects only canned goods and has them "shop" the shelves with certain limits. Their photo ID is logged, and they are only allowed to come once a week.

That's sad to me.

Edited by G5052

We have a large interfaith food pantry in our county and this thread got me curious.  They are a client select pantry, so people shop off the shelves like at a store.  BUT, they require an interview for new clients and an application.  The application can be filled out during the interview but they are asking for a ton of information and proof - proof of address but not a drivers license has to be paystub or utility bills, names of everyone living in the house, full income for the household, all sources of income including child support and social security.  I found it overwhelming so I hope whoever runs these interviews is helping the clients out a lot, especially if English is not a first language.  Honestly, it makes me respect them less that they are screening to that extent.

What are good things to donate. I usually stick with an assortment of canned goods, always trying to include proteins like tuna and beans, but I would love some other ideas.

Cash. You should donate cash. The food bank can take the $10 you would've spent on tuna and beans and use bulk buying to purchase what would've cost you $50 to buy in the store.

• Like 11

What are good things to donate. I usually stick with an assortment of canned goods, always trying to include proteins like tuna and beans, but I would love some other ideas.

Tuna and beans are good if you are limited to canned items. Canned chicken, too. Mayo to make it into a salad. I don't usually donate prepared items, pasta, or mixes anymore - they have a lot of that already. YMMV.

It's always best to ask at your local food bank, because their needs and storage options are different. Ask what sizes they prefer, too. And - nothing expired, or the weird cleaning out the pantry items.

Ours has a large fridge area, so donating produce and actual meats and cheeses are possible. She loved when they got coffee in, like I said, because rarely is there something like that for adults. Toiletries are nice.

DS has a plan right now to donate allergy safe items and sunbutter. This is something of a challenge as we are not there to make sure the volunteers know it's for allergy peeps. I'm not positive how to work it, honestly. MIL is long retired, so she's out of the loop, unfortunately.

• Like 2

Cash. You should donate cash. The food bank can take the $10 you would've spent on tuna and beans and use bulk buying to purchase what would've cost you $50 to buy in the store.

Do they actually do that though?  We collected money yearly for a larger food bank.  This isn't the crap food bank I'm talking about.  Not even sure if it is called a food bank.  But basically it's a much larger operation that collects food and sells it to soup kitchens, etc.  They used the money for their operations and not to buy food.  Which is ok because they certainly need money to operate.  But will my dollars go towards the food is what I'd want to know. 

City Harvest says they spend 93 cents of ever dollar "directly towards our program work".

http://www.cityharvest.org/donate-funds

But your local food bank or food pantry may be different. You should call them and ask how they spend donations. Mostly, though, I see food banks saying that they provide between 3 - 5 meals for every dollar spent. I cannot make five meals out of a dollar, and I'd be struggling to make one meal.

• Like 4

Second Harvest Food Bank is one of the more well known and respected food banks in Central Florida. They say that 97% of donated money goes to feed people. Also, your financial donation feeds people in the area served closest to you. 

http://www.feedhopenow.org/site/PageServer?pagename=ways

For those who prefer to donate food, they have a list of most needed items. I'm sure this varies by location, but for the most part these are the kinds of items that food banks usually want you to donate.

http://www.feedhopenow.org/site/PageServer?pagename=ways_food_list

• Like 3

There are many types of food banks. The biggest local one I know does look at income.

"The Family Harvest Program provides nutritious food to an average of 4,980 households per month (representing an average of 21,806 individuals per month and an average of 10,972 children per month), about half of whom are children

Eligible households are at or below 200% of the federal poverty level and re-apply each year." http://www.shfb.org/familyharvest

I believe in them, no questions asked. I personally love the idea of The Little Free Pantry. I think it's awesome. It's about as altruistic as you can get. Do some people "scam" it and clean it out without a true need? I believe so. But - I'm gonna get woo-woo here for a minute - I believe The Universe can sort this out. we can't allow wonderful things to spontaneously happen if we must tightly control every darn thing.

• Like 12

I don't know much about food banks in general but I have an overall positive view of them. We donate occasionally when the scouts do a drive.

Every LDS congregation has access to a "Bishop's storehouse" where people can get food items when needed. The bishop is responsible for helping those that need it get access to it. (Usually by submitting an order for food) Most (all?) items are stocked with money donated through "fast offerings" from the members so there is a regular selection of quality food, much of it packed by the church. Interestingly though, the church asks that those that take food also contribute in some way, for example, by stocking shelves for a couple hours. I think that would discourage scammers or those who didn't really need it.

Edited by DesertBlossom

As far as quality and selection - it's generally much better if people give money than food.  Food is expensive for them to transport and store, some things they get too much of and others not enough, and they just don't get good value per dollar that way.  People prefer to donate food which is why its so much more common.

I remember a local one said that they can buy foods wholesale.  So, they can buy a flat of soups for the price of two of the same soups.  Since then I prefer to give money.  

• Like 4

Aren't food banks all privately run? I assumed they were not government run. In which case, I think it's entirely up the food bank to decide who can get food and what the limits are. I don't get a say in that. But it's up to those that donate to make sure they are giving to organizations who make the best use of their resources.

I remember a local one said that they can buy foods wholesale.  So, they can buy a flat of soups for the price of two of the same soups.  Since then I prefer to give money.  

I don't think canned food is marked up high enough to reflect a wholesale price that you mention.  Some food products have higher markup due to other reasons such as more loss due to being perishable, but canned goods and staples aren't marked up that high.  

Giving money is never a bad choice, though. 

Our very-local one asks families to "sign in" at initial intake -- a process that involves putting their name/# of family members on a list and confirming their address (no real proof of residency required)-- and are thereafter allowed to come once a week, pick up a ticket whose color corresponds to the household size, and then trade the colored ticket for (respectively) 1,2, or 3 shopping bags into which they "shop" from the shelves.  In addition they're also entitled to a pre-packed paper goods bag and one package of diapers.  The local supermarkets have a rotation schedule, so four days a week someone is delivering day-old bread and nearly-expired produce in reasonable quantities.

All the supermarkets have pantry donation bins and their "what we can especially use" list posted.  What they seem to ask for is paper products, toothpaste/shampoo/tampons/personal supplies, cheese/chicken/longer-shelf-life produce like potatoes and onions and frozen vegetables, and diapers.  What they seem to have in unending supply is mac&cheese, pasta and pasta sauce, canned soup, processed boxes of things.  I don't know if the mismatch is due to donors not realizing the pantry does have refrigeration... or due to recipients disproportionately choosing the cheese and shampoo so it runs out first?

We've also volunteered at a nearby regional distribution center.  They get very large donations from Trader Joes and other large outlets, and also from restaurant supply places, as well as individuals.... and try to make up "balanced" packages which they then donate to the smaller pantries in surrounding communities.  They do have walk-in client hours but I don't know what their intake process is.

Right.  Our pantry PROMINENTLY posts the "what you can and cannot use your SNAP benefits for" poster, so pantry clients can load-balance accordingly.  

• Like 4