Menu

Would you please inspire me? (fitness/diet related)

momto3innc

So, 40 is looming very close on the horizon and due to a number of issues (stress, too busy, health) my diet and exercise has slipped.  I've gained about 15 pounds (have never weighed this other than being pregnant) and am radically out of shape.  As is...when I got up two flights of stairs once a week, my legs get sore.  So...kind of pathetic.  I got a Fitbit but currently its sole purpose is to tell me that I never move.

Really until about two years ago, I was generally always about the same weight and exercised a ton.  Since I always did it, it was just ingrained in me and I just kept doing it.  But now that I've stopped, I just cannot seem to get going again.  Some is an utter lack of motivation (but I am very close to needing all new clothes and that is motivating to me...except when I'm actually supposed to you know...move).  I've just never really had to START if that makes sense.  Before this, I just was maintaining what I already did.

Due to my past I am familiar with lots of different exercise types (have done long distance running, Beachbody, boot camp classes, etc...) and I know how to eat very clean (doing so is currently a very different matter...).   However, none of this is being put into action and I feel a lot of it is mental and making it a priority.

So, I am wondering if some of you out there who HAVE gotten in great shape (this is a bigger deal to me than the weight although the weight is a definite factor too) would inspire me.  What you've done, how you got started, what motivated you, or anything that would make me so inspired I stop sitting on my couch in my pj's eating dark chocolate and get up and run and drink water :)

Thank you!!

It was a combination of a few things that got my butt off the couch.

-What was I teaching my kids. Am I a do as I say not as I do person? or a do it person.

-A friend started posting on facebook daily about going to the gym. She is so busy and I figured if she could do it, so could I. 

-my mom is diabetic and I want no similarities between me and my mom

Maybe you need an accountability partner?

• Like 3

Is there someone in your life (spouse? best friend? sibling?) who could be your workout buddy?  For me, having my dh as my weight-lifting partner/spotter/coach has been tremendously beneficial.  I do my cardio workouts alone, and that's easier some days than others.  But having my husband workout with me three days a week makes it a lot more fun and motivating.  He pushes me to lift heavier than I would without his encouragement, and some days when he's the one who doesn't feel like working out, he thanks me for "making" him go.  So, it's mutually beneficial.  

Does fitness tech or journaling motivate you at all?  My husband has a GPS and heart rate monitor that he uses for his workouts, and then he uploads the data and nerds out over all the charts and info.  :D

A few months ago, I implemented a point system to motivate myself to stay on track.  You can set it up any way that you want.  I earn points from exercise and healthy eating (such as a point for eating at least five servings of veggies, a point for an hour of walking, whatever you want it to be) and deduct points for things that I'm trying to NOT do, such as eat sugar.  I put aside a little money at the beginning of the week, and if I've earned x points by the end of the week, I get to spend that money on whatever I want.  If I haven't, the money goes to charity.  I deliberately set x to be a number of points that is good but not perfect, so that it's do-able every week if I just try.  This system works really well for me.

• Like 3

May I ask what originally bumped you off the "exercise wagon?" Have your circumstances changed since then, or are you still dealing with these?

Here are some exercise motivation tips:

- Pay for it. Money is really motivating.

- Go with a buddy.

- Do something you actually enjoy doing.

- Set a specific exercise goal to work towards (e.g., a race, number of exercise times/week, exercise duration, distance)

- Keep your exercise equipment out in the open and ready for use. The visual reminder is good

- Don't tie weight goals with exercise goals, as weight is very hard to control and can really diminish your motivation if you don't see changes. Rather, stick to exercise specific goals.

- Don't go out too hard and intensely so you get injured.Build back up gradually.

All the best!

• Like 6

When the kids were younger, we exercised together as a family. We hike, and a weekend hike has so many benefits: time in nature, physical activity, fresh air, time for uninterrupted conversations without media, phone or responsibilities.

With younger kids, I would never have exercised by myself - but doing it together elevated it from a "should" to a much beloved family activity.

Now that the kids no longer join us, DH and i keep it up.

I find that accountability helps. For me, that comes in the form of a website and fb page about local hiking which I maintain - the thought that my followers expect to see pictures from a hike each week motivates me to get off my butt even if it is cold or the rare occasions I don't feel like it.

• Like 3

I approached it a different way.  I have tried to make changes that I could actually live with.  So I don't go crazy.  I try to get to the gym 3x per week for 45 minutes each time.  I lowered carbs (I always ate lower carb, but to lose weight I have to lower them more).  So far I've lost over 15 pounds without feeling starved or deprived.  But then I also go out to eat once in awhile and don't make everything so strict that I'll just give up. 

Am in fantastic shape?  Well not too bad.  I have some health problems that I can't seem to figure out just yet.  Hopefully I'll get some answers soon.  But I am feeling mostly pretty good most days. 

• Like 5

The above suggestions are all great.  If you can't find anything that motivates you, I recommend telling yourself that you have to do a minimum of ten minutes of exercise (or any amount of time) and that you can stop after that.  And then "just do it."  I don't really have much that motivates me except for maintaining my weight, but I tell myself I have to do it.  Just like I have to brush my teeth, shower, etc.  It's just part of my day.  I'm always happy once I start and feel really good about it when I'm done, but getting moving isn't always so fun - especially since I run outdoors and I definitely don't love going out in the dark when it's bitter cold out when it would be so much easier to just stay in my cozy bed! 

• Like 1

The thing that first motivated me was seeing a lady at church that could barely get around and has weight related physical issues. Then realizing she was the same age as a lady that was active and in much better health. Other factors could have contributed, but that just stood out to me and I realized I needed to change.

• Like 2

In June 2015 at 52 years old I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's. I was fairly pitiful--absolutely no mental or physical energy. I weighed 138 pounds. I'm only 4'10" so that's a LOT. I didn't get in that shape voluntarily--I'd known for awhile something was wrong but I blamed it on "just" menopause for far too long. It took about six weeks for medication to kick in and for me to have enough energy to feel like doing anything I didn't absolutely have to do. I bought a Fitbit and started walking briskly at least 30-40 minutes every single day. I started weighing my food and counting calories. Nothing crazy--I don't do crazy and I don't do anything that's not sustainable over the long haul. In a few weeks I added in some free weights and body weight exercises. By the end of February 2016 my weight was down around 110-111 and I was more fit than I'd been in years. I've been able to maintain that weight relatively easily by watching what I eat 90 percent of the time, allowing myself to splurge the other 10 percent, keeping up my walking and doing free weights/body weight exercises when I have time.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 3

The above suggestions are all great.  If you can't find anything that motivates you, I recommend telling yourself that you have to do a minimum of ten minutes of exercise (or any amount of time) and that you can stop after that.  And then "just do it."  I don't really have much that motivates me except for maintaining my weight, but I tell myself I have to do it.  Just like I have to brush my teeth, shower, etc.  It's just part of my day.  I'm always happy once I start and feel really good about it when I'm done, but getting moving isn't always so fun - especially since I run outdoors and I definitely don't love going out in the dark when it's bitter cold out when it would be so much easier to just stay in my cozy bed! 

Agreed, and this will vary by person of course, but I find for myself that it's easier to make exercise a part of my life every single day than it is to say, "I'll do it four days a week" or whatever.  With the latter, then there's a question of whether or not it's a workout day, and I can always find a "good" reason for it to not be a workout day!  But if every day is a work out day, then it's a question of "should I do weights or cardio today?" but not working out is simply not an option.

But, again, I think this depends on the person.  Three or four times a week is certainly better than zero times a week!  So if a few days a week works better for you, go for it!

• Like 3

I hit a peak weight last summer and felt terrible. Honestly, I was just fed up with how I looked and felt. I signed up for a 5K (never was a runner before) and started weighing my food. I started in the middle September and competed in October (time of 46 minutes). I've dropped 20 pounds, lost two dress sizes, and cut my 1-mile time from close to 20 minutes to 13.5 minutes. I feel so much better. I have chronic health issues and low energy is a problem when my condition flares up. I haven't had as many issues since I started moving more. Seeing the inches melt away and having more energy are both motivating me to continue. Favorite clothing items fit again, too. :)

ETA: I'm in my late 30s and I only weighed my food for about two weeks. That was long enough for me to learn how to eyeball a ballpark calorie amount.

Edited by Veritaserum
  • Like 4

Do you prefer group exercise or to workout at home?

I prefer group exercise.  Well, at least that has by far been the most effective in the past.  What's really dumb is we have a gym membership, paid for by my husband's work, that has fantastic classes and loads of group things, and I literally have gone twice in two years.  

I always think that by the time I drive there, do it, and drive back, I could have already done a workout at home.  I have DVDs and workout bands and weights here.  But...if I never do it at home either, it probably would be better just to go and then since I'm there, I kind of have to do it.

May I ask what originally bumped you off the "exercise wagon?" Have your circumstances changed since then, or are you still dealing with these?

We moved and went through some super stressful life circumstances two years ago that really haven't gotten much better at all.  So I definitely know why...I'm in a totally different place and never set up good healthy patterns here.  However, since it's been over two years, I need to realize this is probably my new normal and I need to be healthy in it.

• Like 2

I approached it a different way.  I have tried to make changes that I could actually live with.  So I don't go crazy.  I try to get to the gym 3x per week for 45 minutes each time.  I lowered carbs (I always ate lower carb, but to lose weight I have to lower them more).  So far I've lost over 15 pounds without feeling starved or deprived.  But then I also go out to eat once in awhile and don't make everything so strict that I'll just give up. 

Am in fantastic shape?  Well not too bad.  I have some health problems that I can't seem to figure out just yet.  Hopefully I'll get some answers soon.  But I am feeling mostly pretty good most days. 

This is great advice.  I am way too much of an all or nothing person when it comes to exercise.  Currently choosing nothing :)

• Like 1

My husband got in on it too. That helps.  Especially with the gym part.  I don't particularly enjoy going to the gym.  I enjoy how it makes me feel and it gets done, but I don't like it.  Ideally I'd find an activity that would be fun and good for fitness, but I haven't and the weather is a major deterrent for me probably half the year.  So gym it is.

In June 2015 at 52 years old I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's. I was fairly pitiful--absolutely no mental or physical energy. I weighed 138 pounds. I'm only 4'10" so that's a LOT. I didn't get in that shape voluntarily--I'd known for awhile something was wrong but I blamed it on "just" menopause for far too long. It took about six weeks for medication to kick in and for me to have enough energy to feel like doing anything I didn't absolutely have to do. I bought a Fitbit and started walking briskly at least 30-40 minutes every single day. I started weighing my food and counting calories. Nothing crazy--I don't do crazy and I don't do anything that's not sustainable over the long haul. In a few weeks I added in some free weights and body weight exercises. By the end of February 2016 my weight was down around 110-111 and I was more fit than I'd been in years. I've been able to maintain that weight relatively easily by watching what I eat 90 percent of the time, allowing myself to splurge the other 10 percent, keeping up my walking and doing free weights/body weight exercises when I have time.

I hit a peak weight last summer and felt terrible. Honestly, I was just fed up with how I looked and felt. I signed up for a 5K (never was a runner before) and started weighing my food. I started in the middle September and competed in October (time of 46 minutes). I've dropped 20 pounds, lost two dress sizes, and cut my 1-mile time from close to 20 minutes to 13.5 minutes. I feel so much better. I have chronic health issues and low energy is a problem when my condition flares up. I haven't had as many issues since I started moving more. Seeing the inches melt away and having more energy are both motivating me to continue. Favorite clothing items fit again, too. :)

ETA: I'm in my late 30s and I only weighed my food for about two weeks. That was long enough for me to learn how to eyeball a ballpark calorie amount.

Wow!  Those are great stories...thanks for sharing!  I have chronic Lyme and honestly do feel wildly better when I'm eating right and exercising.  But since I'm not, I'm in the sooooo tired point which leads to not doing anything which leads to being more tired cycle.  Thanks, both of these were really helpful.

• Like 1

For me, 3 things...

1) I had to go out of the house to exercise or it wouldn't get done.  I tried borrowing dvds from the library, but that lasted about a month or so.  My husband does P90x in the basement and always asked me to join him, but I refused.  Finally, I joined a CrossFit gym that I go to 4x/week at 8:30 each day.  

2) I need a routine, and this is what I do each day...

6am - up and get dressed

6:25 - take yds to bus

6:45 - eat breakfast

7:00 - make breakfast and pack lunch for ods

7:45 - hang out with dd before she goes to school

8:30/45 - leave for gym

10:15/30 - home from gym, shower, eat, and procrastinate the rest of the day :)

At the gym, I wear a HR monitor that tracks my calories, hr, and a few other things.  I am totally addicted to that thing.  I love seeing how much I can burn.  I have a 6 week assessment tomorrow and I'm very excited to see how my body has changed.   I also use MyFitnessPal and MapMyWorkout to track food and exercise.  

3) Find someone or something that holds you accountable.  It was the only way for me!  The CrossFit gym I go to is so small that I cannot miss and it go unnoticed.  

Good luck!

For me, 3 things...

1) I had to go out of the house to exercise or it wouldn't get done.  I tried borrowing dvds from the library, but that lasted about a month or so.  My husband does P90x in the basement and always asked me to join him, but I refused.  Finally, I joined a CrossFit gym that I go to 4x/week at 8:30 each day.  

2) I need a routine, and this is what I do each day...

6am - up and get dressed

6:25 - take yds to bus

6:45 - eat breakfast

7:00 - make breakfast and pack lunch for ods

7:45 - hang out with dd before she goes to school

8:30/45 - leave for gym

10:15/30 - home from gym, shower, eat, and procrastinate the rest of the day :)

At the gym, I wear a HR monitor that tracks my calories, hr, and a few other things.  I am totally addicted to that thing.  I love seeing how much I can burn.  I have a 6 week assessment tomorrow and I'm very excited to see how my body has changed.   I also use MyFitnessPal and MapMyWorkout to track food and exercise.  

3) Find someone or something that holds you accountable.  It was the only way for me!  The CrossFit gym I go to is so small that I cannot miss and it go unnoticed.  

Good luck!

The challenge is when you don't have that kind of time during the day.  I end up doing my gym stuff at night which I would not consider all that ideal, but better than not doing it.  That's something I had to kinda get over.  That I just wasn't going to be able to do this when it was ideal.

The challenge is when you don't have that kind of time during the day.  I end up doing my gym stuff at night which I would not consider all that ideal, but better than not doing it.  That's something I had to kinda get over.  That I just wasn't going to be able to do this when it was ideal.

So true.

When I was working/kids were young/homeschooling,  I would never go to the gym.  Actually, I did go to a gym when my older 2 were toddlers but only because they had an amazing babysitting area!  Once we moved here, we lost that and I never went.

• Like 1

I have chronic Lyme and honestly do feel wildly better when I'm eating right and exercising.  But since I'm not, I'm in the sooooo tired point which leads to not doing anything which leads to being more tired cycle.  Thanks, both of these were really helpful.

This would be a huge motivation for me.  I can understand when fatigue can lead to more fatigue and feeling worse. Pretty much every winter I feel sad because I have to adapt my exercise routine completely from cycling and outdoor tennis to much less frequent indoor tennis and skiing/snowshoeing. It takes a while to get back on track, and it takes a while for the weather to provide the snow I need to ski. Once I'm moving and active again, I have a lot more motivation to keep going.

Is there a friend or family member who can help encourage you to get started and keep going?It sounds like you are mentally ready to get back on track. I think that once you make that first move to get on track, you'll feel better and better and it will actually be easier to stay on track. It's that first step that's always the toughest.

Since you said you've done Beachbody ... have you tried the new Beachbody On-Demand All-Access? It's all their programs streamed online for $99/year. You can mix and match, doing whatever workouts you want without having to commit to one for months. I use my TV but you could also use a computer or iPad and get plenty of variety. They have a new Yoga Retreat program that is 3 weeks and really great for getting back into things. 

Disclaimer: I'm NOT a coach, just a happy customer. :)

Edited by insertcreativenamehere
  • Like 1

In May 2012 at 49 I just one day decided to get in shape. I started eating No S. You need to kniw yourself. Some people like classes or buddies or groups. I do not. I think one reason I stuck with running ( which literally started with 30 seconds running then 2 minutes walking) was because it is time alone. I listen to my loud headbanging music no one else likes. To thine own self be true.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Since you said you've done Beachbody ... have you tried the new Beachbody On-Demand All-Access? It's all their programs streamed online for $99/year. You can mix and match, doing whatever workouts you want without having to commit to one for months. I use my TV but you could also use a computer or iPad and get plenty of variety. They have a new Yoga Retreat program that is 3 weeks and really great for getting back into things. 

Disclaimer: I'm NOT a coach, just a happy customer. :)

I just looked at this the other day.  I think I would really like to be able to pick something different each day and not stick with just one track (I have P90X and Insanity both of which would absolutely kill me right now).  I'll have to look at it again...could be a good option for days at home.

• Like 1

I don't know how inspiring this is going to be, but when I get stuck, I have to think LESS about food. Tracking, points, etc is not good for me. I juice for a few days, eating bits in between and try to keep my mind busy. Then, I try to stay on that bus. As I get older, I have found I need *much* less food. My meals are small. Sometimes, I will leave out a small plate of sausage, cheese, olives and veggies and munch on a few bites here and there.  

I also try not to make everyday food taste too good, lol. Dining out, fine. But, my everyday is fuel more than an epicurean experience. But I also have a DH who appreciate the effort I make to stay in shape and doesn't try to sabotage me, lol. 

Getting the eating down first and then adding exercise later can help. I have a few friends who get on bandwagons and fall off pretty quickly because it is just too much of a shift in their day right now. Homeschooling and other mid-life responsibilities can cause a great deal of stress. Walking, stretching and some mild weight bearing here and there might be a better approach to going balls-to-the-wall with BeachBody or Insanity, if you are having a hard time ramping up.

YMMV, just a slightly different perspective. Good luck:-)

• Like 2

1. I found a local group of women who get together to work out at our neighborhood park. The leader is 50+ and in amazing shape. Over time the friendships I've developed have helped me stick with the routine even when I've felt too bored/tired/lazy to go.

2. My husband has been extremely supportive and encouraging. I try to give the same support to him by joining him every other day in the garage while he works out. We use that time to talk about the our lives, the future, issues with the kids, and just joke around. Sometimes I work out with him if I've missed a day at the park.

3. I have a Garmin Vivosmart hr that I love. I try to beat my own records, and I love reviewing all the data it collects. I know it's not 100% accurate, but I find it a helpful tool nonetheless. If anything, I've become more active throughout the day because of the reminders to move.

4. I decided that aside from severely limiting sugar and processed foods, I wasn't going to deny myself anything. I just can't stick to any diet or "way of living" that tells me I can't have carbs, or I can't eat red meat, or I have to restrict fat. We try to eat lots of vegetables and lean meat, but tacos are a regular meal at our house, and we love hamburgers and steak too. Oh and pasta every now and then too. I try to focus on stopping when I feel full. Also, I decided years ago that I don't want to drink my calories, so water or unsweetened tea is all I drink.

• Like 2

Here are some exercise motivation tips:

- Pay for it. Money is really motivating.

- Go with a buddy.

- Do something you actually enjoy doing.

- Set a specific exercise goal to work towards (e.g., a race, number of exercise times/week, exercise duration, distance)

- Keep your exercise equipment out in the open and ready for use. The visual reminder is good

- Don't tie weight goals with exercise goals, as weight is very hard to control and can really diminish your motivation if you don't see changes. Rather, stick to exercise specific goals.

- Don't go out too hard and intensely so you get injured.Build back up gradually.

All the best!

So much this!

When I pay, I go.

When I'm surrounded by inspiration, I do.

When I keep good food ready, I eat well.

I've only just gotten back on the wagon, but it's picking up speed every day, every single time I make a good choice.

I've been at this for a couple of months now.

I hope I stay with it.

I have a lot of weight to lose, and a lot of muscle to build!

What I did was assess what has worked for me in the past.

For me that is different than for others.

1.  Feedback loops.  I don't know why this is, but if I record my food I eat less.  Period.  No matter how many times I tell myself, OK, now I know how to eat well, so I don't need to record anymore, it never works that way.  Also, tracking exercise is helpful.  Also, tracking weight is helpful.  

So since I hate recording things, I figured out the easiest possible ways to do this.

That is:  

Myfitnesspal to track food (thanks to KTGrok who recommended this)--easier and more quantized than WWOnline or Spark People

Fitbits to track exercise.  Yes, I got two.  I had my reasons.  And they are far cheaper than joining a gym.

Aria scale to track weight, because it sends it to an app directly.  Fringe benefit--it measures and tracks fat content also, so as I get more fit I'm going to see that shift, hopefully, from fat to muscle.

2.  Exercising from home, preferably outside.  I have belonged to gyms and taken classes before, and I don't tend to stick to those.  Walking, hiking, jogging, using my Healthrider or stationary bike, or lifting free weights at home or from home are what I have stuck with.  So I'm focussing there, because that has worked for me in the past.  Right now since I broke a bone in my foot in Nov.  I'm just trying to get my step count up.  Baby steps!

3.  Skipping breakfast.  I don't know why but for some reason once I start eating in the day, I want to keep going, and it's very hard to keep my calories down.  If I just have coffee and drink water in the morning, I can postpone starting to eat until 1 or 2 PM, and my total calories are fairly easy to keep in the deficit range.  I know this flies in the face of a lot of suggestions, but it's pretty right for me.

4.  Drinking hot liquids as well as cold, whenever I'm hungry.  I have a friend who is a Chinese medicine practitioner, and she says that they believe that food and drinks should be hot to be healthy.  I will never give up my cold water or my (unsweetened) iced tea, but have add hot tea and hot ginger tea to the list of what to drink when I think I'm hungry, and this has been very helpful.  They are surprisingly satisfying.

5.  Pushing protein.  I'm not using protein powders but I AM emphasizing high protein foods more than usual.  I know a naturopath who says that when you're detoxing, your liver needs a lot of protein to work well.  Since I have mild fatty liver, I want to support it while I'm releasing all the fat in my stupid body.  I also am taking milk thistle capsules for the same reason.

6.  Being gentle to myself.  I don't need to beat myself up if I exceed my calorie count one day because my husband insisted on going out to heat.  I don't need to injure myself by trying to run before I can walk.  I need to KEEP GOING.  It's a journey of a 1000 miles beginning with one step.  I am making permanent lifestyle changes, and taking a long view.

I do expect to phase in some serious amounts of exercise over the next 6 months.  But I'm starting small, in the belief that slow and steady wins the race.  I hope to report back that I have lost a few dress sizes by the end of the year, and that I've upped my stamina and muscle as well. 

• Like 1

I had a lot more success at my diet than I did at finding the motivation to exercise. My motivation to lose weight was when my pants got too tight and I realized I had to go to the store to get the next size up. I stepped on the scale and totally freaked out. I joined Weight Watchers the next morning and never looked back. That was in 2011. I was highly motivated to lose because of my pants size so I learned how to eat appropriately. It became habit. You know you've been successful in the past and you just have to get started again. You're farther ahead than I was when I started in 2011. I had very little experience with dieting and exercise.

• Like 1