What's with the ads?

#1 keirin

keirin

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:38 AM

Is anyone doing standardized testing of their kindergarten student? I'm considering doing one with my twins since it's one of the ways that my state allows me to turn in an end of year evaluation. I'd also like to get a sense of how I'm doing with them and what areas they are doing well or not so well in. But... I'm also leery of sitting down my 5 year olds to do a long fill in the bubble sort of test. I don't think it's developmentally appropriate for them to do so. I looked at the Iowa Assessments and there was over 100 questions for the kindergarten level.

Does anyone have any experience giving this test to this age? Recommendations on another test that might not be so intensive or administered differently?

XPOST on K-8

#2 MerryAtHope

MerryAtHope

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7021 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 05:45 PM

I've not heard of one--hopefully someone else can help. But...are you certain that you are required to turn something in at age 5? (Does your state require students to start school at age 5, and were your twins age 5 by the required cut-off date?) It just seems so young! But my state is on the higher side and doesn't require that kids start school until age 7. (Or at least it was 7 back when we started--might have changed, LOL!) 

#3 peaceful isle

peaceful isle

mother of the blue eyed ones

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3235 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:30 AM

I have done the Iowa testing with my daughter and niece when they were 6/kindergarten. They did really well, but that was 6 years ago. It didn't seem stressful at all. Not sure why I felt the need to do it, but it did show me where they were in their knowledge,

Now , I'm lucky if my last ker is out of his pjs during school. TIme does that to ya , though.