Menu

Is there a homemade sugar scrub recipe that doesn't leave a residue?

KarenNC

We have made a few different scrubs using coconut oil and olive oil and sugar.  I guess we just use the scrub after shaving?? I don't remember it gunking up the razor.  And I guess I haven't used it in a tub....  That probably wasn't very helpful.  I should ask dd to make up another batch - I love that stuff!

She has very sensitive skin on her legs and shaving really irritates them, even with using shaving gel, different types of razors, etc. She read somewhere that exfoliating prior to shaving can help, so she's trying it. I believe she did the scrub, rinsed it off, and then shaved. She said she likes the moisturizing from the coconut oil, but would like to find something that isn't as oily. I've been reading that one can try things like glycerin, honey, or aloe vera gel instead of oil. I have suggested she try the aloe vera we have on hand (honey is too expensive and she thinks it will be too sticky, not sure where to get glycerin).

• Like 1

She could just use some sugar.  Just take it in a plastic cup into the shower and use it. It rinses down the drain just fine and no oil is necessary.

I personally prefer these

https://smile.amazon.com/Salux-Nylon-Japanese-Beauty-Yellow/dp/B007IAE5WY/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1484791849&sr=8-3&keywords=korean+washcloth

They seem to last indefinitely. Due to the fabric they just rinse clean. You just use them with a body wash or even a baby shampoo or anything she likes.  But they exfoliate really, really well.

But she can also just use plain old sugar or salt or baking powder

• Like 2

Has she tried an oatmeal scrub instead?

A thing I've read about but not actually tried myself...

That's a thought. It might work to try just some water with oatmeal and then something to moisturize after shaving. We certainly have enough rolled oats that she could try. Her big issue is the carrier liquid rather than the exfoliant, trying to find something other than oil-based that will work and still help moisturize.

She could just use some sugar.  Just take it in a plastic cup into the shower and use it. It rinses down the drain just fine and no oil is necessary.

I personally prefer these

https://smile.amazon.com/Salux-Nylon-Japanese-Beauty-Yellow/dp/B007IAE5WY/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1484791849&sr=8-3&keywords=korean+washcloth

They seem to last indefinitely. Due to the fabric they just rinse clean. You just use them with a body wash or even a baby shampoo or anything she likes.  But they exfoliate really, really well.

But she can also just use plain old sugar or salt or baking powder

She said she'll give it a try. I'll also see if they carry these at the local Asian market the next time I'm in there. Thanks!

I wouldn't use coconut oil.  It's solid at room temperature, so it would be gunky.  I use Sweet Almond oil (from health food store) with a coarse grain sugar (turbinado sugar, or "Raw" sugar).  I don't measure, I just mix oil into the sugar until the consistency is the way I want it.  (Olive oil would work as well.  People have used it for skin care for thousands of years)

• Like 1