Menu

Summer Camp Time (Already)!

SeaConquest

I finally got most of the registrations done.  From the current look of things, I will have to do math & language arts at home.

So here's were we're at.  All are day camps unless otherwise noted.

• Scout weekend campout.
  • Student Naturalists camp at the Natural History Museum (includes 1 overnight).
  • Latino culture camp.  Includes geography, Spanish, sports, dance, music, art.
  • Science center camp:  "Explore [our City]" - they take the kids to different places to show science applied - hospital, factory, etc.
  • Science center camp:  Amusement Park Science - includes a trip to a big amusement park.  :)
  • Girls' outdoor camp (includes daily horse riding, environmental science, & usual outdoor stuff.)
  • Sleep-away theater camp (only 2 nights) for 1 kid.

I found a chess camp that would work in our schedule, registered, and then realized that was a 2016 camp.  :p  If they have it for 2017, I will probably sign up at least one of my kids for it.

They can attend either the rec center day camp or horse riding camps for most of the remaining days that we are in town.

Other than these, we'll be traveling some, and I would like to sign the kids up for the next level of the reading / literature program they did last year (Sunday classes).  They'll do the library reading program and continue with the middle school book discussions.  As for math, I may be on my own, which I'm sure will thrill my kids ....

We finalized our international travel for this summer - we are doing a cruise touching various Northern European countries.  I will try to get the kids to learn something about this part of the world first, though honestly the kids will probably resist this.  :/  The cruise will have a "kids camp" which should be stimulating and fun, and of course we'll do excursions.  I don't want to make the kids do traditional "work" during the cruise, but maybe I will read-aloud a math story book and make them write in their travel journals.  :P  I could think of all sorts of ways to work in academics, but realistically it's gonna be a lazy time.

With the travel schedule firmed up, I was able to plan a couple more camps - 3 days of track camp in the morning, chess camp in the afternoon.

I've been trying to find a weekend class for the 5-week reading / lit program like we did last year, but so far no luck.  They say they are still adding classes, so we'll see.

One of my kids says she wants to do Brain Chase again, except for the one add-on I chose last year.  This is an online program that guides kids through 5 or 6 weeks of reading (just logging minutes), writing (open-ended prompts), Khan Academy math, and various quick extras.  Since they won't be out of town for 4 weeks like last year, this should be reasonable, at least for 1 kid.  If I could figure out how to make Khan Academy work for the other kid too, that would be a great help.

I also want to start them on the free monthly writing class they have at our local library, but I can't tell yet if they offer that in the summer.

• Like 3

Just wanted to update: CTY came through with basically a full scholarship for Sacha's summer camp. So, if you are lower income, please do not be put off by the high price of their programs. There is definitely generous financial aid out there. He is very excited to go to the camp!

• Like 11

Just wanted to update: CTY came through with basically a full scholarship for Sacha's summer camp. So, if you are lower income, please do not be put off by the high price of their programs. There is definitely generous financial aid out there. He is very excited to go to the camp!

Thanks for that info.

• Like 1

. We aren't taking the SCAT until the beginning of April, so we will miss out on camps this year. Does anyone know if you have to test every year for CTY?

What great news!  I just wish we lived closer.  We are right dab in the middle of fly over country in St. Louis.

• Like 3

What great news! I just wish we lived closer. We are right dab in the middle of fly over country in St. Louis.

Long-time lurker here, just outside of St. Louis. I'm not sure the ages of your kid(s), but for a similar camp experience, you may want to consider College for Kids in Fulton, MO http://www.collegeforkids.net. My DS11 did both that and baby CTY last summer and loved both. College for Kids was also easier on the wallet!

Edited by CynthiaL
  • Like 3

What great news!  I just wish we lived closer.  We are right dab in the middle of fly over country in St. Louis.

FYI:  If your kids are into making things, there's a Techshop in St. Louis.   The classes may be different in different cities, but here, one of the classes is laser cutter/3D printer, vinyl cutter (for making shirts and large stickers), another basic electronics class, and an Arduino programming class.  They also have a sewing section, but I don' t know if they do a youth sewing class which is too bad.   Ages 8 and up.

http://www.techshop.ws/take_classes.html?storeId=22&categoryId=35

Edited by tiuzzol2
  • Like 2

Long-time lurker here, just outside of St. Louis. I'm not sure the ages of your kid(s), but for a similar camp experience, you may want to consider College for Kids in Fulton, MO http://www.collegeforkids.net. My DS11 did both that and baby CTY last summer and loved both. College for Kids was also easier on the wallet!

Thanks for sharing!  I went to my first stay away camp as a newly turned 8 year old.  It was my local county 4-H camp.  It was also the camp where my parents met and fell in love as teenagers.  I don't know if I am crazy or over protective, but I would (currently, at least) be nervous about sending him to an away camp.  He is not yet 3rd grade so maybe that will change in a year.  He just recently started occasionally having sleep overs at grandma's.  I also was told that STLCC has a College for Kids program that is just a day camp. http://www.stlcc.edu/Continuing-Education/Youth-Programs/College-for-Kids-M.html

• Like 1

FYI:  If your kids are into making things, there's a Techshop in St. Louis.   The classes may be different in different cities, but here, one of the classes is laser cutter/3D printer, vinyl cutter (for making shirts and large stickers), another basic electronics class, and an Arduino programming class.  They also have a sewing section, but I don' t know if they do a youth sewing class which is too bad.   Ages 8 and up.

http://www.techshop.ws/take_classes.html?storeId=22&categoryId=35

Thanks for sharing!  Robby is currently 3D printing an open source wind turbine at Arch Reactor in St. Louis, but I had not heard about TechShop.  Something we'll definitely have to check out!

Edited by arliemaria
  • Like 1

I signed DD7 up for Astronaut Camp at the VA Beach/Langley Air & Space Museum (know nothing about it but it's bound to be awesome, right?). Still waiting to see if she gets in, then will figure out where we're staying (camping?). She's been wanting to check out Jamestown/Williamsburg so we'll probably combine the trip. I've never been to the Great Dismal Swamp, so I'll have fun exploring every day she's in camp. We live in VA, but it's on the other side of the state.

Intensive Ballet Camp

Spanish Camp

Youth Strings Camp - her violin teacher invited her last year, but she was intimidated at hanging with all the older students. Funny she's not intimidated in dance classes where most kids are 2-5 years older than her, just for violin. I hope the group playing makes it more fun for her...she's in a bit of a slump with violin at the moment (she's code-named it 'sewer water' - haha!).

I want to travel somewhere fun this summer....still to be determined. Canada? Arizona/Utah? Europe? So many choices :)

I won free tickets to the Charlotte, NC White Water Rafting Center so that's on our plate too! Plus friends want to join us for rafting in the New River Gorge area of WV. Hopefully we can squeeze in lots of camping and smaller trips. It's so hard to do all the fun things when you're sharing custody :(

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Still can't figure out multi-quote so....

Posted 19 February 2017 - 01:09 AM

SKL, on 03 Feb 2017 - 04:46 AM, said:snapback.png

So here's were we're at.  All are day camps unless otherwise noted.

• Scout weekend campout.
  • Student Naturalists camp at the Natural History Museum (includes 1 overnight).
  • Science center camp:  "Explore [our City]" - they take the kids to different places to show science applied - hospital, factory, etc.
  • Science center camp:  Amusement Park Science - includes a trip to a big amusement park.  :)
  • Girls' outdoor camp (includes daily horse riding, environmental science, & usual outdoor stuff.)
  • Sleep-away theater camp (only 2 nights) for 1 kid.

We finalized our international travel for this summer - we are doing a cruise touching various Northern European countries.  I will try to get the kids to learn something about this part of the world first, though honestly the kids will probably resist this.  :/  The cruise will have a "kids camp" which should be stimulating and fun, and of course we'll do excursions.  I don't want to make the kids do traditional "work" during the cruise, but maybe I will read-aloud a math story book and make them write in their travel journals.  :p  I could think of all sorts of ways to work in academics, but realistically it's gonna be a lazy time.

With the travel schedule firmed up, I was able to plan a couple more camps - 3 days of track camp in the morning, chess camp in the afternoon.

I finalized a few more things:

• Brain Chase for 1 kid.  Khan Academy for math, typing, reading logs, and "bonus" work involving science, geography, arts, etc.  This is a 6-week program intended to take maybe 4 hours a week.  We'll do the "bonus" work together as a family.
  • [Will use workbooks for math and LA review for the other kid, since the programs that worked last year aren't available.]
  • Writing - found a biweekly "creative writing" club at a library.
  • Middle school book club continues at our library.
  • Found an online free Sylvan site where kids can take comprehension tests on the books they read.  Incentives may motivate my reluctant reader ....

Some other thoughts:

• Considering checking out 4H for the small pet program.
  • Planning to sign up for the "adopt-a-trail" volunteer program in the national park.
  • Planning to do gymnastics & TKD classes in the evenings.  Horse riding, swimming, running, whatever else as they fit in the schedule.

In case anyone is wondering, I saw in the flyer that almost all families receiving financial aid make less than $75k/year. Which we do, but we don't live near a camp anyway.

I don't know if I am crazy or over protective, but I would (currently, at least) be nervous about sending him to an away camp.  He is not yet 3rd grade so maybe that will change in a year.  

Since you posted that in response to someone mentioning CTY and one other camp, CTY doesn't let your kid do overnight until they've finished 5th grade, iirc. My oldest has done YMCA sleep-away camp since the summer before 2nd grade, and this summer will be the first time for my youngest. 

Did you have a reason for choosing AwesomeMath rather than, say, MathPath (or another math camp). Being able to commute is an obvious factor, but I wonder what other considerations there are. We're probably looking at math camps starting next year, so I was wondering which ones to look at, and their main features.

AwesomeMath had a math jam (Q&A) recently https://artofproblemsolving.com/school/mathjams-transcripts?id=436

My oldest is having a "puzzling time" with the admission test for regular admission https://www.awesomemath.org/summer-program/application/admission-test/

AoPS has a summer camp sub-forum. It is fun even for me as a parent to read through https://artofproblemsolving.com/community/c73_summer_program_forums

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

DS12 got into awesome math camp. So now I can register him for his AoPS intermediate number theory class in July since I know for sure that he won't be able to take the June start dates.

The university's library is nice and open to public so my kids could participate in their summer reading programs since we'll be there. The library cafe is not cheap though but Safeway (Vons) is near. We'll likely ride the train (30min ride) there since it is quite a detour for my husband to drive there in the morning before going to work.

• Like 2

Nothing particularly exotic here. Two weeks of half day gymnastics camp, a week of a math games camp through a local children's museum, and a week of wilderness camp through the place DD does her weekly "forest school" class.

All crammed into June because we're not really sure exactly when during summer we'll be moving and we wanted to minimize the chance of having to cancel camps. Good thing, too, since it currently looks like we're moving in July. I'm tempted to sign her up for a day camp the week after we move so she can be out of the way while I unpack everything and set up.

• 1 month later...

I got some more info I was waiting on, so made some more changes:

• Have to skip the June scout campout due to work conflicts.  They already have all the badges they would work on there though.  We do need to work on some additional badges this summer ....
  • Added a lego robotics 1-week day camp for Miss E (horse camp not available that week).
  • Added a week of arts camp (half day).
  • Chess camp got canceled by the provider - my kids are glad though.
  • I am looking at adding a twice-weekly math class for my less mathy kid, at Sylvan.  She will try the class out in late May.

Editing the below ...

SKL, on 03 Feb 2017 - 04:46 AM, said

So here's where we're at.  All are day camps unless otherwise noted.

• Scout weekend campout.
  • Horse camp.
  • Track camp (half day).
  • Sleep-away theater camp (3 days / 2 nights) for 1 kid.
  • Lego robotics camp for the other kid.
  • Arts camp (half day).

We finalized our international travel for this summer - we are doing a cruise touching various Northern European countries.  I will try to get the kids to learn something about this part of the world first, though honestly the kids will probably resist this.  :/  The cruise will have a "kids camp" which should be stimulating and fun, and of course we'll do excursions.  I don't want to make the kids do traditional "work" during the cruise, but maybe I will read-aloud a math story book and make them write in their travel journals.  :p  I could think of all sorts of ways to work in academics, but realistically it's gonna be a lazy time.

... a few more things:

• Brain Chase for 1 kid.  Khan Academy for math, typing, reading logs, and "bonus" work involving science, geography, arts, etc.  This is a 6-week program intended to take maybe 4 hours a week.  We'll do the "bonus" work together as a family.
  • May add Sylvan Math Edge classes for kid 2.
  • Found an online free Sylvan site where kids can take comprehension tests on the books they read.  Incentives may motivate my reluctant reader ....
  • [Will use workbooks as appropriate for additional math/LA review.]

Some other thoughts:

• Considering checking out 4H for the small pet program.
  • Planning to sign up for the "adopt-a-trail" volunteer program in the national park.
  • Registered for gymnastics & TKD classes in the evenings.  Horse riding, swimming, running, whatever else as they fit in the schedule.

Edited by SKL

I wish it were summer camp time already. I'd love to sign the kids up until the beginning of June. Unfortunately, schools run until June 23 or something, so, no summer camps before then. I just need to get them out of the house so I can get ready to move. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like Sylvan Math Edge is a go for one kid.  Other kid will do more horse riding ... and maybe a few cooking classes if they fit?

I did some research on summer book clubs, and I think we will do at least 4 of them, to up the incentive for Reluctant Reader.  The local library, Sylvan online, Books-A-Million, and Barnes & Noble.  I have a pile of summer-themed kid classics that I think they will like.  I also bought a couple of summer bridge workbooks that actually look fun.

SKL, on 03 Feb 2017 - 04:46 AM, said

So here's where we're at.  All are day camps unless otherwise noted.

• Horse camp.
  • Student Naturalists camp through the Natural History Museum (includes 1 overnight).
  • Cruise - Nordic countries.  Kid camp on board, plus excursions of course, plus reading.
  • Track camp (half day).
  • Sleep-away theater camp (3 days / 2 nights) for 1 kid.
  • Lego robotics camp for the other kid.
  • Arts camp (half day).

... a few more things:

• Sylvan Math Edge classes for kid 2.
  • [Will use workbooks as appropriate for additional math/LA review.]
  • Registered for gymnastics & TKD classes in the evenings.  Horse riding, swimming, running, whatever else as they fit in the schedule.

Looks like Sylvan Math Edge is a go for one kid. Other kid will do more horse riding ... and maybe a few cooking classes if they fit?

I did some research on summer book clubs, and I think we will do at least 4 of them, to up the incentive for Reluctant Reader. The local library, Sylvan online, Books-A-Million, and Barnes & Noble. I have a pile of summer-themed kid classics that I think they will like. I also bought a couple of summer bridge workbooks that actually look fun.

What are the summer-themed children's books you will be reading?

We afterschool and summer is our main period of the year to study, which we happily combine with an intensive sport program. 

DS (9yo in July):

- Inventors camp  

- Robotic camp

- Sport: tennis, gymnastics, swimming & ninjutsu. 2-3 sports daily. He is my hyper athlete :)

Also as a part of his b'day present he is asking for windsurfing lessons. Maybe...

DS (7yo in July):

- Inventors camp

- Coding camp 

- Art camp

- Sport programs: swimming, gymnastics & ninjutsu.

+ family trip to Italy with a cultural program

We are not exception as we had to change most of our program too  :w00t:  

In the end this is what we are left with.

DS(9yo 2b):

- Tennis Sport Academy 4 times per week till mid September

- French Camp

- Sea Explorer camp, but not sure if it's going to happen :confused1:

Other sport programs: Gymnastics & Swimming

DS(7yo 2b):

- Chess camp

Intensive Sport program: Swimming, Gymnastics & Yoga

Looking for a good online coding/programming/robotic camp/programs yet. 

Also my sister and her fiance will be visiting us and staying all summer at our place and the boys are going to have an extra bonus :laugh:  The little one will get an art camp with my sister at home and my eldest will have music, vocal and songwriting camp with uncle-to-be :drool5:

• 3 weeks later...

DS12 just finished the 1st week of Awesome Math camp and enjoyed himself. Lunch was included and he had pizza most days. My husband drop us off before work as the camp starts at 8:15am so we would have to be at the light rail station at 7am to be on time.

I get to hang out at the campus library with DS11 and today my husband gets to buy books from the library's weekend friends of the library book sales. Softcover was 50 cents each and hardcover was $1. So we bought a few oldies math and physics books.

• Like 3

DS12 just finished the 1st week of Awesome Math camp and enjoyed himself. Lunch was included and he had pizza most days. My husband drop us off before work as the camp starts at 8:15am so we would have to be at the light rail station at 7am to be on time.

I get to hang out at the campus library with DS11 and today my husband gets to buy books from the library's weekend friends of the library book sales. Softcover was 50 cents each and hardcover was $1. So we bought a few oldies math and physics books.

Superb! I envy you guys. My kids have just finished their exams and have another week of the school, so I can't wait to start our summer program  :w00t:

I registered Robby for two classes at the College for Kids at St. Louis Community College.  Simple enough.  Story Illustration and ADD-kid-abra.

Next week there is a tennis camp that I am hoping I can get the kids up and ready for before 8:30.

• Like 2

The museum's naturalist camp was better than I expected - the kids did canoeing, fishing, hiking, outdoor service, outdoor camping, as well as geology and biology studies.  The only problem was that it was so dang hot for the first 3 days.  They also got a lot of bug bites and were covered in itchy scratches from some sort of grass.  In the end, they said it was a good camp, but they don't want to do it next year because it was "too much work."  :P  They say they want to go back to the [mostly indoor] medical camp.

The Latino culture camp just ended.  They love this camp so much.  I'm not sure how much they actually learn - theoretically, at least Spanish and geography and arts - but the social aspect of it is very valuable.

Both camps wore my kids out to where they fell asleep in the car on the way home most days.  :P

Sylvan Edge seems to be a good fit for my average kid.  They seem to be moving rather slowly, but it's better than not doing any math, right?

They had their first writing club meeting.  I wasn't there, but when I asked how it was, the answer I got was "OK."  I take that as a positive, since one of my kids loathes writing.  ;)

Brain Chase started and my kid is loving Google Books or whatever it's called.  She started with some horrible Dracula-themed nonfiction book.  She finds it quite disgusting and will probably have nightmares, but that's not stopping her.  :P

• Like 2

I registered Robby for two classes at the College for Kids at St. Louis Community College. Simple enough. Story Illustration and ADD-kid-abra.

Next week there is a tennis camp that I am hoping I can get the kids up and ready for before 8:30.

College for Kids at Meramec is great too! DS11 took the ADD-kid-abra class a couple years ago and loved it. He'll be there this year for 3D printing, chess, and Human Calculator. Wish they had those kind of classes when I went umpteen years ago.

Meanwhile, this week I'm sure he's getting no sleep at all at CK. And eating ice cream for breakfast. Showering? What's that?

• Like 1

Trinqueta did rowing camp at UT Austin last week. She liked the dorms and the cafeteria food which was much more varied than what was available 25 years ago. I'm glad that she thinks she can manage living in a dorm. Oh, and the rowing was good, too.

She's doing AOPS Counting and Probability and just finish Bravewriter's Macbeth class, both of which she enjoyed and would recommend.

For the rest of the summer, she's going to self study sociology and take the CLEP in the fall. We're using EdX's UT Permian Basin and ASU courses as well as the Open Stax textbook. She's going to sailing camp for a few days in July and choir camp for a few days in August.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Trinqueta did rowing camp at UT Austin last week. She liked the dorms and the cafeteria food which was much more varied than what was available 25 years ago. I'm glad that she thinks she can manage living in a dorm. Oh, and the rowing was good, too.

She's doing AOPS Counting and Probability and just finish Bravewriter's Macbeth class, both of which she enjoyed and would recommend.

For the rest of the summer, she's going to self study sociology and take the CLEP in the fall. We're using EdX's UT Permian Basin and ASU courses as well as the Open Stax textbook. She's going to sailing camp for a few days in July and choir camp for a few days in August.

DS compares "cantines" across universities and schools overseas. he has a rating system going. I tell him to start a blog ranking these things, but I think only he and I care :) Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 4

DS apparently also decided to pick a school by its cafeteria. Although we didn't plan on camps other than fencing for this year, we signed him up for IDtech camp in Caltech. So, now he will seriously consider Caltech, as apparently the burgers were really good. At least, much better than Loyola Marymount where CTY camp is :). As for the camp itself, he loved it. I can't say they learned, or even could possibly learn, a lot in 5 days, but it really sparked his interest. He is now writing some text adventure game with DH. 

• Like 1

DS apparently also decided to pick a school by its cafeteria. Although we didn't plan on camps other than fencing for this year, we signed him up for IDtech camp in Caltech. So, now he will seriously consider Caltech, as apparently the burgers were really good. At least, much better than Loyola Marymount where CTY camp is :)

That is useful for us to know as my husband is curious about Caltech a lot more than my kids. DS12 is very picky about food choices and taste. Caltech is downtown and that kid would walk for the sake of finding food he is willing to eat.

My DS12 went to an IDTech day camp for spring break. There is a recent harassment scandal about IDTech camp though. Link to the news http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/07/21/men-id-tech-camps-accuse-female-exec-sexual-harassment/

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

DS apparently also decided to pick a school by its cafeteria. Although we didn't plan on camps other than fencing for this year, we signed him up for IDtech camp in Caltech. So, now he will seriously consider Caltech, as apparently the burgers were really good. At least, much better than Loyola Marymount where CTY camp is :). As for the camp itself, he loved it. I can't say they learned, or even could possibly learn, a lot in 5 days, but it really sparked his interest. He is now writing some text adventure game with DH. 

When my kids were 6 or 7, they told me they really liked the Science Center camps and would like to go back.  "Great!  What did you like about them?"  "They serve Oreo cookies!"  "Anything else?" "Not really."  "How about I buy you Oreos and sign you up for these other camps?"  "You'll BUY us Oreos!?  YEAH!"

Something to think about if I ever start a summer camp ....

• Like 3

That is useful for us to know as my husband is curious about Caltech a lot more than my kids. DS12 is very picky about food choices and taste. Caltech is downtown and that kid would walk for the sake of finding food he is willing to eat.

We attended a college tour of Caltech last year. The campus is very accessible to downtown - there are a lot of good eating places - the variety is just like in the bay area. The weather is equally good.

• Like 1

I wouldn't trust my DS's opinion about food, but Caltech really is close to downtown Pasadena, where there are plenty of restaurants.  I haven't seen much of the campus though, only one of the parking structures and one of the gyms, where we had a fencing competition. The gym was a glorified warehouse, without AC, in August. Let's say it didn't leave a good impression. Combined with the required year of PE, that really dings Caltech in DD's eyes. :)

• Like 1

Was it worth going for a college tour? We were thinking of just visiting when we are in that area without signing up/registering for a tour.

You can just visit if you go to SoCal. We went on the tour because we wanted specific information about some programs.
  • Like 1

My kids just attended the AFA CyberCamps program at a local community college for free this week. That location open registration up for kids 6th grade and up. My kids had fun and brush up on their notes taking skills and they were given a t-shirt as a souvenir. That community college apparently host the event yearly but is not listed in the site lists. I got to know about the camp through the community college Facebook page.

https://www.uscyberpatriot.org/special-initiatives/afa-cybercamp-program/program-overview

• Like 2

My kids' latest week-long day camp was Amusement Park Science, which included designing their own amusement park ride and going to a nearby famous amusement park.  Isn't that a great idea for a science camp?  :)  I assume they learned something, not that I'm going to test them.  :P

• Like 2

My kids' latest week-long day camp was Amusement Park Science, which included designing their own amusement park ride and going to a nearby famous amusement park.  Isn't that a great idea for a science camp?  :)  I assume they learned something, not that I'm going to test them.  :p

The other day my kids built amusement park in minecraft. It was impressive, I didn't expected it at all, beside they learn lots of new thing about science, technology and of course use their creativity.