^Thanks.

#52 SKL

SKL

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24347 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 12:09 AM

I finally got most of the registrations done.  From the current look of things, I will have to do math & language arts at home.

So here's were we're at.  All are day camps unless otherwise noted.

• Scout weekend campout.
  • Student Naturalists camp at the Natural History Museum (includes 1 overnight).
  • Latino culture camp.  Includes geography, Spanish, sports, dance, music, art.
  • Science center camp:  "Explore [our City]" - they take the kids to different places to show science applied - hospital, factory, etc.
  • Science center camp:  Amusement Park Science - includes a trip to a big amusement park.  :)
  • Girls' outdoor camp (includes daily horse riding, environmental science, & usual outdoor stuff.)
  • Sleep-away theater camp (only 2 nights) for 1 kid.

I found a chess camp that would work in our schedule, registered, and then realized that was a 2016 camp.  :p  If they have it for 2017, I will probably sign up at least one of my kids for it.

They can attend either the rec center day camp or horse riding camps for most of the remaining days that we are in town.

Other than these, we'll be traveling some, and I would like to sign the kids up for the next level of the reading / literature program they did last year (Sunday classes).  They'll do the library reading program and continue with the middle school book discussions.  As for math, I may be on my own, which I'm sure will thrill my kids ....

We finalized our international travel for this summer - we are doing a cruise touching various Northern European countries.  I will try to get the kids to learn something about this part of the world first, though honestly the kids will probably resist this.  :/  The cruise will have a "kids camp" which should be stimulating and fun, and of course we'll do excursions.  I don't want to make the kids do traditional "work" during the cruise, but maybe I will read-aloud a math story book and make them write in their travel journals.  :p  I could think of all sorts of ways to work in academics, but realistically it's gonna be a lazy time.

With the travel schedule firmed up, I was able to plan a couple more camps - 3 days of track camp in the morning, chess camp in the afternoon.

I've been trying to find a weekend class for the 5-week reading / lit program like we did last year, but so far no luck.  They say they are still adding classes, so we'll see.

One of my kids says she wants to do Brain Chase again, except for the one add-on I chose last year.  This is an online program that guides kids through 5 or 6 weeks of reading (just logging minutes), writing (open-ended prompts), Khan Academy math, and various quick extras.  Since they won't be out of town for 4 weeks like last year, this should be reasonable, at least for 1 kid.  If I could figure out how to make Khan Academy work for the other kid too, that would be a great help.

I also want to start them on the free monthly writing class they have at our local library, but I can't tell yet if they offer that in the summer.

• Arcadia, SeaConquest and tiuzzol2 like this

#53 SeaConquest

SeaConquest

Advocatus Diaboli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2557 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:35 AM

Just wanted to update: CTY came through with basically a full scholarship for Sacha's summer camp. So, if you are lower income, please do not be put off by the high price of their programs. There is definitely generous financial aid out there. He is very excited to go to the camp!
  • Kathy in Richmond, Leav97, arliemaria and 7 others like this

#54 epi

epi

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:14 AM

Just wanted to update: CTY came through with basically a full scholarship for Sacha's summer camp. So, if you are lower income, please do not be put off by the high price of their programs. There is definitely generous financial aid out there. He is very excited to go to the camp!

Thanks for that info.

• SeaConquest likes this

#55 Runningmom80

Runningmom80

Hugger of Books

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4412 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:10 AM

. We aren't taking the SCAT until the beginning of April, so we will miss out on camps this year. Does anyone know if you have to test every year for CTY?

#56 dmmetler

dmmetler

Chasing snakes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13495 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:06 AM

Once you qualify, you're good until the next age group. So through 6th, then retest for 7th using the ACT or SAT (which also opens camps through lots of other sources)
  • Runningmom80, bakpak and tiuzzol2 like this

#57 arliemaria

arliemaria

Hive Mind Level 3 Worker: Honeymaking Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 03:43 PM

What great news!  I just wish we lived closer.  We are right dab in the middle of fly over country in St. Louis.

• RoundAbout, SeaConquest and tiuzzol2 like this

#58 CynthiaL

CynthiaL

Just Visiting

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 04:55 PM

What great news! I just wish we lived closer. We are right dab in the middle of fly over country in St. Louis.

Long-time lurker here, just outside of St. Louis. I'm not sure the ages of your kid(s), but for a similar camp experience, you may want to consider College for Kids in Fulton, MO http://www.collegeforkids.net. My DS11 did both that and baby CTY last summer and loved both. College for Kids was also easier on the wallet!

Edited by CynthiaL, 25 February 2017 - 05:00 PM.

• arliemaria, SeaConquest and tiuzzol2 like this

#59 tiuzzol2

tiuzzol2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 11:10 AM

What great news!  I just wish we lived closer.  We are right dab in the middle of fly over country in St. Louis.

FYI:  If your kids are into making things, there's a Techshop in St. Louis.   The classes may be different in different cities, but here, one of the classes is laser cutter/3D printer, vinyl cutter (for making shirts and large stickers), another basic electronics class, and an Arduino programming class.  They also have a sewing section, but I don' t know if they do a youth sewing class which is too bad.   Ages 8 and up.

http://www.techshop....2&categoryId=35

Edited by tiuzzol2, 26 February 2017 - 11:11 AM.

• arliemaria and SeaConquest like this

#60 arliemaria

arliemaria

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 04:43 AM

Long-time lurker here, just outside of St. Louis. I'm not sure the ages of your kid(s), but for a similar camp experience, you may want to consider College for Kids in Fulton, MO http://www.collegeforkids.net. My DS11 did both that and baby CTY last summer and loved both. College for Kids was also easier on the wallet!

Thanks for sharing!  I went to my first stay away camp as a newly turned 8 year old.  It was my local county 4-H camp.  It was also the camp where my parents met and fell in love as teenagers.  I don't know if I am crazy or over protective, but I would (currently, at least) be nervous about sending him to an away camp.  He is not yet 3rd grade so maybe that will change in a year.  He just recently started occasionally having sleep overs at grandma's.  I also was told that STLCC has a College for Kids program that is just a day camp. http://www.stlcc.edu...for-Kids-M.html

#61 arliemaria

arliemaria

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 04:44 AM

FYI:  If your kids are into making things, there's a Techshop in St. Louis.   The classes may be different in different cities, but here, one of the classes is laser cutter/3D printer, vinyl cutter (for making shirts and large stickers), another basic electronics class, and an Arduino programming class.  They also have a sewing section, but I don' t know if they do a youth sewing class which is too bad.   Ages 8 and up.

http://www.techshop....2&categoryId=35

Thanks for sharing!  Robby is currently 3D printing an open source wind turbine at Arch Reactor in St. Louis, but I had not heard about TechShop.  Something we'll definitely have to check out!

Edited by arliemaria, 02 March 2017 - 11:20 AM.

• tiuzzol2 likes this

#62 bakpak

bakpak

Birder Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 05:49 AM

I signed DD7 up for Astronaut Camp at the VA Beach/Langley Air & Space Museum (know nothing about it but it's bound to be awesome, right?). Still waiting to see if she gets in, then will figure out where we're staying (camping?). She's been wanting to check out Jamestown/Williamsburg so we'll probably combine the trip. I've never been to the Great Dismal Swamp, so I'll have fun exploring every day she's in camp. We live in VA, but it's on the other side of the state.

Intensive Ballet Camp

Spanish Camp

Youth Strings Camp - her violin teacher invited her last year, but she was intimidated at hanging with all the older students. Funny she's not intimidated in dance classes where most kids are 2-5 years older than her, just for violin. I hope the group playing makes it more fun for her...she's in a bit of a slump with violin at the moment (she's code-named it 'sewer water' - haha!).

I want to travel somewhere fun this summer....still to be determined. Canada? Arizona/Utah? Europe? So many choices :)

I won free tickets to the Charlotte, NC White Water Rafting Center so that's on our plate too! Plus friends want to join us for rafting in the New River Gorge area of WV. Hopefully we can squeeze in lots of camping and smaller trips. It's so hard to do all the fun things when you're sharing custody :(

• SeaConquest and tiuzzol2 like this

#63 SKL

SKL

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24347 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:01 PM

Still can't figure out multi-quote so....

Posted 19 February 2017 - 01:09 AM

SKL, on 03 Feb 2017 - 04:46 AM, said:snapback.png

So here's were we're at.  All are day camps unless otherwise noted.

• Scout weekend campout.
  • Student Naturalists camp at the Natural History Museum (includes 1 overnight).
  • Latino culture camp.  Includes geography, Spanish, sports, dance, music, art.
  • Science center camp:  "Explore [our City]" - they take the kids to different places to show science applied - hospital, factory, etc.
  • Science center camp:  Amusement Park Science - includes a trip to a big amusement park.  :)
  • Girls' outdoor camp (includes daily horse riding, environmental science, & usual outdoor stuff.)
  • Sleep-away theater camp (only 2 nights) for 1 kid.

We finalized our international travel for this summer - we are doing a cruise touching various Northern European countries.  I will try to get the kids to learn something about this part of the world first, though honestly the kids will probably resist this.  :/  The cruise will have a "kids camp" which should be stimulating and fun, and of course we'll do excursions.  I don't want to make the kids do traditional "work" during the cruise, but maybe I will read-aloud a math story book and make them write in their travel journals.  :p  I could think of all sorts of ways to work in academics, but realistically it's gonna be a lazy time.

With the travel schedule firmed up, I was able to plan a couple more camps - 3 days of track camp in the morning, chess camp in the afternoon.

I finalized a few more things:

• Brain Chase for 1 kid.  Khan Academy for math, typing, reading logs, and "bonus" work involving science, geography, arts, etc.  This is a 6-week program intended to take maybe 4 hours a week.  We'll do the "bonus" work together as a family.
  • [Will use workbooks for math and LA review for the other kid, since the programs that worked last year aren't available.]
  • Writing - found a biweekly "creative writing" club at a library.
  • Middle school book club continues at our library.
  • Found an online free Sylvan site where kids can take comprehension tests on the books they read.  Incentives may motivate my reluctant reader ....

Some other thoughts:

• Considering checking out 4H for the small pet program.
  • Planning to sign up for the "adopt-a-trail" volunteer program in the national park.
  • Planning to do gymnastics & TKD classes in the evenings.  Horse riding, swimming, running, whatever else as they fit in the schedule.

#64 luuknam

luuknam

Feeling the Weight of Levity

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3824 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:37 PM

In case anyone is wondering, I saw in the flyer that almost all families receiving financial aid make less than $75k/year. Which we do, but we don't live near a camp anyway.

I don't know if I am crazy or over protective, but I would (currently, at least) be nervous about sending him to an away camp.  He is not yet 3rd grade so maybe that will change in a year.  

Since you posted that in response to someone mentioning CTY and one other camp, CTY doesn't let your kid do overnight until they've finished 5th grade, iirc. My oldest has done YMCA sleep-away camp since the summer before 2nd grade, and this summer will be the first time for my youngest. 

#65 ReadingMama1214

ReadingMama1214

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:19 PM

DD5 will be doing Spanish immersion camp through her new school. They offer 2 weeks of summer camps that are Spanish immersion. She'll go to at least one week.

She'll continue swimming and dance through the summer.

#66 Arcadia

Arcadia

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14371 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:09 PM

Did you have a reason for choosing AwesomeMath rather than, say, MathPath (or another math camp). Being able to commute is an obvious factor, but I wonder what other considerations there are. We're probably looking at math camps starting next year, so I was wondering which ones to look at, and their main features.

AwesomeMath had a math jam (Q&A) recently https://artofproblem...nscripts?id=436
My oldest is having a "puzzling time" with the admission test for regular admission https://www.awesomem...admission-test/

AoPS has a summer camp sub-forum. It is fun even for me as a parent to read through https://artofproblem..._program_forums
  • SeaConquest likes this