Menu

Summer Camp Time (Already)!

SeaConquest

I just pushed the submit button on Sacha's CTY summer camp app (Be A Scientist!). I hope he gets in, and we get some financial aid $$$$. Anyone else have kids thinking about attending academic~ish summer camps, or doing cool summer projects? Let's hear about it. I like to get ideas, and to hear what all your amazing kids are up to. 

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 1

DD got a slot in the program she's done the last few years. Plus JMIH, which isn't a camp, but 5 days at a professional herpetology conference trumps summer camp for her. She will also probably do a one week cheer camp if her team goes. She has a pretty big project she'll be working on this summer, too.

Edited by dmmetler
  • Like 4

We are looking at

- lab science class for fun

- debate camp (commuter) because my DS12 does not like to talk but enjoys arguing. So debate would be more suitable than public speaking camp for him. DS11 would want to be where DS12 is and he doesn't care either way.

- going back to visit relatives and friends (depending on airfare) which would be an indirect heritage language immersion.

- if we don't go back to visit relatives, we'll be doing a road trip up to BC or down to SoCal as our summer vacation.

My DS12 is not interested in staying at dorms so CTY, Duke TIP and CTD are out. Nothing interesting on the commuter sites camps for DS11.

• Like 4

Robby is working on some wind turbine experiments.  He has been sketching designs for months.  He will submit something for our big science fair, but I'm sure his research will continue into the summer.  He is still too little for a sleep away camp, but he might do a Cub Scouts day camp this summer.

• Like 3

Anyone have any experience with MathPath? How do you tell if you're kid is ready for it.

http://www.mathpath.org/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MathPath

I know they have their "Qualifying Test", and they say age 11-14, but I'm wondering if there are other "benchmarks", e.g. what courses should they have taken, or what kind of competition results should they be getting?

• Like 2

We are looking at

- lab science class for fun

- debate camp (commuter) because my DS12 does not like to talk but enjoys arguing. So debate would be more suitable than public speaking camp for him. DS11 would want to be where DS12 is and he doesn't care either way.

- going back to visit relatives and friends (depending on airfare) which would be an indirect heritage language immersion.

- if we don't go back to visit relatives, we'll be doing a road trip up to BC or down to SoCal as our summer vacation.

My DS12 is not interested in staying at dorms so CTY, Duke TIP and CTD are out. Nothing interesting on the commuter sites camps for DS11.

Come visit us in San Diego! :)

- french immersion language camp

I'm jealous of the French immersion camps. DS had the opportunity to go to France last summer with his Francophone friend from NY, but the dates didn't work and I don't know, I feel like we've missed some critical camp window (these kids have gone to the same camps for years, or done whatever European version of Scouts for years) and secondly I don't know if I can get comfortable sending him alone to a French camp for French kids...they seem so super relaxed, the French (limited experience, don't jump on me).

We will do a bit of travel and then local sports/traditional daycamps. Nothing fancy or academic

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 1

Anyone have any experience with MathPath? How do you tell if you're kid is ready for it.

I know they have their "Qualifying Test", and they say age 11-14, but I'm wondering if there are other "benchmarks", e.g. what courses should they have taken, or what kind of competition results should they be getting?

I think if you google "math camp well trained mind forums" or "math path well trained mind forums" you will see posts by Kathy detailing her and others' experiences. Mine has not done Math Path but he did HCSSiM. He is not a contest kid but had finished Diff Eq/Linear Alg. His fellow attendees were at Alg2 level up to Calculus+ and there was something for everyone there. It was more of "how open are you to new experiences" vs "must have finished level x or be scoring at level y". I believe Math Path is similar and performance on the QT should indicate comfort level. Good luck!

• Like 4

I've got so much camp planning to do that I actually started a spreadsheet to keep track of registration dates and payment deadlines. Our tentative plan:

dd13:

-Duke TIP camp (hoping to get her into the Creative Writing class)

-summer music camp (this is an intensive instrumental study at a music conservatory)

-a week of traditional summer camp

-maybe a week or two of Ballet Intensive at her ballet school if the dates work out right to plan it around the other camps

*She desperately wants to go to the Lac du Bois French immersion at Concordia Language Villages, but I don't think it's possible to work it out around her other camps (and she isn't willing to give up Duke TIP or her instrumental intensive to make it happen). Maybe next year.

ds11:

-baseball camp

-summer camp with his Scout troop

-Boy Scout camp on his own at a traditional summer camp

dd9:

-ballet camp

-Girl Scout camp (this will be her first overnight camp)

ds6:

No camps this year, but definitely swim lessons. My goodness, this kid has got to learn how to swim.

• Like 3

I just pushed the submit button on Sacha's CTY summer camp app (Be A Scientist!). I hope he gets in, and we get some financial aid $$$$. Anyone else have kids thinking about attending academic~ish summer camps, or doing cool summer projects? Let's hear about it. I like to get ideas, and to hear what all your amazing kids are up to. 

The CTY science camps were a huge hit in my house.  I hope it works out for Sacha and he has a great time!

• Like 2

I love it! What does it entail? My poor city kids can't rub two sticks together!

Dd always pick an adventure camp to avoid girltalk about polished nails, fashion and boys ;)

This an is tougher and based on a TV show where 2 teams are dropped on an island and have to survive.

Beside the standard camp leaders there will be a survival instructor available.

Dd dit a survival training when she was younger, she likes to be prepared for what ever might happen.

I'm jealous of the French immersion camps. DS had the opportunity to go to France last summer with his Francophone friend from NY, but the dates didn't work and I don't know, I feel like we've missed some critical camp window (these kids have gone to the same camps for years, or done whatever European version of Scouts for years) and secondly I don't know if I can get comfortable sending him alone to a French camp for French kids...they seem so super relaxed, the French (limited experience, don't jump on me).

We will do a bit of travel and then local sports/traditional daycamps. Nothing fancy or academic

Dd language camp is a very strict one, everything is scheduled. But she likes it that way.

She attends this organisation:

http://clipvakanties.be/fr/

• Like 2

Love threads like this. It always gives me wonderful ideas I did not think or forgot about :)

We afterschool and summer is our main period of the year to study, which we happily combine with an intensive sport program. 

DS (9yo in July):

- Inventors camp  

- Robotic camp

- Sport: tennis, gymnastics, swimming & ninjutsu. 2-3 sports daily. He is my hyper athlete :)

Also as a part of his b'day present he is asking for windsurfing lessons. Maybe...

DS (7yo in July):

- Inventors camp

- Coding camp 

- Art camp

- Sport programs: swimming, gymnastics & ninjutsu.

+ family trip to Italy with a cultural program

Edited by rushhush08
  • Like 2

Thanks for the reminder - I need to get online and see what's out already.  The good ones fill up so fast.

We like the junior medical camp at the natural history museum, and the culture camp for internationally adopted kids.

My eldest will go to sleep-away camp if we find good ones that work in our schedule.  The younger can attend science camp or similar during those weeks.

Probably some sort of back-to-school / brain drain prevention camp, as one of mine does not retain well without review.

Other than that, we'll see ....

Edited by SKL
  • Like 1

I love it! What does it entail? My poor city kids can't rub two sticks together!

See if there are any 4H camps around you.  About an hour's drive from us, there is a 4H camp that also offers camps for non-4H members, including survival camp and other interesting options.  The cost is reasonable.

• Like 1

Wow, you all have some awesome plans lined up! No summer camps here (we couldn't afford them anyway) but this area is amazing in the summer. We'll go up swimming in the mountain streams, hiking, swimming up river, clamming, probably camping on a weekend, wild blackberry and huckleberry picking, crabbing, and blueberries at the u-pick, and I'd like to get some poles so I can teach the kids to fish. A big element will be re-teaching dd2 and teaching ds1 to swim. (We have no swimming pool in town here, so we've found that they seem to forget how each year, but then re-learn quicker each summer.)

If dh can save up enough comp time at work, we will make a week long trip to Arizona for a family reunion, then visit the other side of the family for a week in California. And my sister's family is going to visit us in August. All my wild nephews are going to love the outdoorsy stuff we do here.

• Like 2

See if there are any 4H camps around you.  About an hour's drive from us, there is a 4H camp that also offers camps for non-4H members, including survival camp and other interesting options.  The cost is reasonable.

That's a great idea! I will check it out. It would be good for them.

Besides CTY (if he gets in), Sacha will be at surf camp, watersports camp (SUP, kayaking, sailing, etc. on Mission Bay), rock band camp at his music school, flow camp (which is at Belmont Park -- they have laser tag, a rock wall, a flow rider machine, amusement park rides, etc.), sports camp at the JCC (rock climbing, soccer, tennis, and golf), and theatre camp. We take off from Memorial Day to Labor Day, so it's a good 4 months off from school. As you can see, Sacha really likes going to camp.

Ronen will also be at day camp at his preschool. I will be buried in anatomy and physiology at SDSU, if I can get into their summer session, so I need the kids busy!

Also, don't forget to apply for financial aid. We usually qualify, which is how we can afford so much stuff. Well, that and the fact that we spend every last dime on the kids. Talk to me in 30 years about whether that was an intelligent strategy.

• Like 4

These threads always give me such good ideas.

I wish we lived near a CTY site, not that I know that my son would get in. But he says he wants to be a chemist right now. The better local camps (at universities) for STEM and Chemistry and Math aren't available until after 4-6th grade around here, so we're waiting. I tried a couple science camps around here in 2015 but they seem silly and just have so little content to them. Also, it seems like, I try to sign up early for things but around here many local camps don't announce until May or later. Last year there were camps for fencing, horseback riding and stop motion animation that I would have considered but we'd already committed to other things.

If you actually ask my son he wants more time for playing with Legos and also computer games. And I tend to overschedule him. So I am going to try and hold back a bit. Then I will sign up for too much, but hopefully new things he hasn't tried before. I'm also considering a 3 day sleepaway through the YMCA but dad is opposed due to age (he'll be 8).

• Like 2

Turns out that it's too early to get our schedule ready yet, but I did get it started.  :)

There's a very fun-sounding camp at the local science museum.  Last year it conflicted with scout camp, so scout camp won.  This year, I don't know - scout camp isn't scheduled yet.  :/  Maybe I should sign up and then cancel if there is a conflict?

I might opt out of jr. medical camp this year as the one for my kids' age group doesn't sound as fun as the previous level.  There is an outdoorsy option that sounds better for them this year.  It includes one overnight.  :)

For now, I wait until I hear back about scout camp ....

• Like 1

That's a great idea! I will check it out. It would be good for them.

Besides CTY (if he gets in), Sacha will be at surf camp, watersports camp (SUP, kayaking, sailing, etc. on Mission Bay), rock band camp at his music school, flow camp (which is at Belmont Park -- they have laser tag, a rock wall, a flow rider machine, amusement park rides, etc.), sports camp at the JCC (rock climbing, soccer, tennis, and golf), and theatre camp. We take off from Memorial Day to Labor Day, so it's a good 4 months off from school. As you can see, Sacha really likes going to camp.

Ronen will also be at day camp at his preschool. I will be buried in anatomy and physiology at SDSU, if I can get into their summer session, so I need the kids busy!

Also, don't forget to apply for financial aid. We usually qualify, which is how we can afford so much stuff. Well, that and the fact that we spend every last dime on the kids. Talk to me in 30 years about whether that was an intelligent strategy.

If my kids read this list, they will want to be yours, especially my eldest one :thumbup:

• Like 2

Hi epi, I'm the Kathy that quark mentioned upthread. Both of my kids attended MathPath in middle school, and both of them returned later to be counselors during their college years. It was a wonderful learning and social experience for them!

I'd send a kid who:

(1) had mastered basic algebra and geometry

(2) thinks it would be fun to do lots of new math during the summer, and who has a good attention span and will do the work

(3) enjoyed struggling with & working on the qualifying quiz (this is the most important thing)

(4) likes the thought of being in a "work hard, play hard" environment with lots of other kids for four weeks

Does your child think it would be fun to be with other math enthusiasts all summer? Does he/she think it would be OK to not be the best student for a change (the talent level there is amazing, but anyone who's accepted to MathPath should be fine)?  Do they need lots of down time or will they be OK with being part of an organized group, even for meals and evening/weekend activities? High energy kids are welcome there, but introverts can also survive if they also enjoy group time, even as a quiet member.

The camp will be at Mt Holyoke this summer, which is a wonderful setting. I was there a few years ago when dd was a counselor, and the setup is very nice with respect to facilities and dorms. Kids usually get single rooms, and the food there was pretty good according to dd. Campers are arranged in counselor groups of ten or so kids by age and gender. They go to meals and field trips with those groups and get to know each other pretty well by the end of camp.

Academically, there are some classes that everyone attends (like history of math and writing math proofs) and some where you have options with different subjects and/or difficulty levels. They'll advise your child as to appropriate classes, but the kids will still have some choice in the matter.

If you have other questions, I'd be glad to try to answer here.

Edited by Kathy in Richmond
  • Like 4

Thank you Kathy that really helps. The "Qualifying Test" looks tricky. I suppose it's meant to be challenging for most students. How long do students typically spend on it, and how well do successful applicants do on it? I'll probably use this years one as a practice run to see how my child does on it, and maybe try for real next year.

• Like 3

Wow.  Looking at the mathpath schedule:

http://www.mathpath.org/day.htm

My kid needs more sleep than that!   He normally goes to bed around 8:30pm, up at 7am.

We will probably do what we did last year and lounge around the house all summer.   Hopefully I can get the older two into Techshop for some CAD design time, laser etching/cutting, and 3D printing.

• Like 1

Thank you Kathy that really helps. The "Qualifying Test" looks tricky. I suppose it's meant to be challenging for most students. How long do students typically spend on it, and how well do successful applicants do on it? I'll probably use this years one as a practice run to see how my child does on it, and maybe try for real next year.

Yes the QT is tough! To do well will usually entail lots of time and effort. The best case scenario would be to print it off as soon as it appears on the MP website and give it to your child. Hopefully that will happen before winter break.  Have him/her start by reading over the problems & play with them a while to get them into the back of his mind. Try to solve the earlier questions; they're usually the first ones in the list. Then just keep thinking & messing around with the harder problems for several weeks. There will usually be an "aha!" moment or two when something becomes suddenly clear! Spend plenty of time writing them up nicely, too.

I'd try to finish up by the end of February since camp admissions are rolling & it becomes harder to get a spot after that point.

You don't have to get absolutely everything right. They're looking for insights into how your child thinks as much as for the final answer. Some of the problems are usually open-ended & they're happy to see kids explore the "what ifs" and play with the possibilities. That's why good writing is key!

Good luck!

• Like 3

So far the plan is all 3 kids will have a week of church camp, the oldest 2 will have 2 weeks at Concordia Language Villages, and the oldest will have a week of band camp.  I'm still waiting for the community ed schedule for summer.  The middle has been asking for a programing camp and last year the oldest did a week of jazz band camp.  Somewhere in there we will also go camping for a week.

• Like 1

Yes the QT is tough! To do well will usually entail lots of time and effort. The best case scenario would be to print it off as soon as it appears on the MP website and give it to your child. Hopefully that will happen before winter break.  Have him/her start by reading over the problems & play with them a while to get them into the back of his mind. Try to solve the earlier questions; they're usually the first ones in the list. Then just keep thinking & messing around with the harder problems for several weeks. There will usually be an "aha!" moment or two when something becomes suddenly clear! Spend plenty of time writing them up nicely, too.

I'd try to finish up by the end of February since camp admissions are rolling & it becomes harder to get a spot after that point.

You don't have to get absolutely everything right. They're looking for insights into how your child thinks as much as for the final answer. Some of the problems are usually open-ended & they're happy to see kids explore the "what ifs" and play with the possibilities. That's why good writing is key!

Good luck!

Thanks again. I think we'll be looking at 2018, so we'll try to use this years QT as a practice run under the "test conditions" you describe: a couple of months to think about it, child is totally on their own, and they have to write it up well, and maybe try to answer a lot but not all (it's open-ended anyway).

• Like 2

I finally got most of the registrations done.  From the current look of things, I will have to do math & language arts at home.

So here's were we're at.  All are day camps unless otherwise noted.

• Scout weekend campout.
  • Student Naturalists camp at the Natural History Museum (includes 1 overnight).
  • Latino culture camp.  Includes geography, Spanish, sports, dance, music, art.
  • Science center camp:  "Explore [our City]" - they take the kids to different places to show science applied - hospital, factory, etc.
  • Science center camp:  Amusement Park Science - includes a trip to a big amusement park.  :)
  • Girls' outdoor camp (includes daily horse riding, environmental science, & usual outdoor stuff.)
  • Sleep-away theater camp (only 2 nights) for 1 kid.

I found a chess camp that would work in our schedule, registered, and then realized that was a 2016 camp.  :P  If they have it for 2017, I will probably sign up at least one of my kids for it.

They can attend either the rec center day camp or horse riding camps for most of the remaining days that we are in town.

Other than these, we'll be traveling some, and I would like to sign the kids up for the next level of the reading / literature program they did last year (Sunday classes).  They'll do the library reading program and continue with the middle school book discussions.  As for math, I may be on my own, which I'm sure will thrill my kids ....

• Like 2

Do you happen to know the name of the camps in France? What is the minimal age requirement? Thanks!

Summer Camps :

For DS(10) ( For my math geeks, math and Programing is pretty much as good as it gets😄)

June 5-9- Programing in Java @ UTDallas

June 12-16 - Advanced Java and Android App Development @ UTDallas

June 19-23 - Programing in C++ @UTDallas

June 25-July 23 - MathPath summer residential camp in MA

July 25- Sept 28 - Travel through Europe(brother getting married in UK, so we intend to visit as many countries as we can during our 2 month long visit)

Both boys will also be swimming and playing the piano every night and taekwondo and ice hockey with my husband every weekend.

For DS(8)

June 5-9 - Enjoyable coding with Alice @ UTDallas

June12-16 - Introductory GameMaker

June 19-23 - Learning to code with Minecraft (Python)

June 26- 30 - Enjoyable coding with JavaScript

July 3-7 - Engineering Projects with Arduino Boards

July 10-21- Taekwondo camp

July 25- Sept - Travel through Europe

• Like 4

We are going to France in May, then fencing camp in June. I offered my DD CTY camp in July, but after looking at the classes they offer this year, she said she would rather take a class in CC. Given a choice between $46 for CC and $$$ for CTY, I agreed. DS is too young to the residential camp, and the day camps are an hour plus away, so it is not an option for us. 

• Like 1

Summer Camps :

For DS(10) ( For my math geeks, math and Programing is pretty much as good as it gets😄)

June 5-9- Programing in Java @ UTDallas

June 12-16 - Advanced Java and Android App Development @ UTDallas

June 19-23 - Programing in C++ @UTDallas

June 25-July 23 - MathPath summer residential camp in MA

July 25- Sept 28 - Travel through Europe(brother getting married in UK, so we intend to visit as many countries as we can during our 2 month long visit)

Both boys will also be swimming and playing the piano every night and taekwondo and ice hockey with my husband every weekend.

For DS(8)

June 5-9 - Enjoyable coding with Alice @ UTDallas

June12-16 - Introductory GameMaker

June 19-23 - Learning to code with Minecraft (Python)

June 26- 30 - Enjoyable coding with JavaScript

July 3-7 - Engineering Projects with Arduino Boards

July 10-21- Taekwondo camp

July 25- Sept - Travel through Europe

That's awesome that they allow your younger to enroll in such high level coding camps. I've asked about it around here and always get turned down because Sacha is 'too young.' :(

• Like 1

That's awesome that they allow your younger to enroll in such high level coding camps. I've asked about it around here and always get turned down because Sacha is 'too young.' :(

My older son will be 11 in the last week of May and the younger has just turned 8. We are incredibly lucky that two of the UTD students who help teach the coding classes live very close to us and they have known my sons and worked with them from a very early age and are aware of their skill level and attention span. These are full day courses so they like to have students who they know will stay engaged in coding for 7-8 hour periods (though the younger one gets hives when asked to complete his LA work).

If Sacha is interested in Raspberry Pi and Arduino board projects, then they are available for purchase online (Amazon) and you can do those at home with him (my husband spend most weekends tinkering or completing projects with the boys. The big project this year is rebuilding an old Buick engine). There are numerous Youtube videos on them. Both my sons started with Pi and have moved on to Arduino. I would highly recommend both.

Edited by booksdelight
  • Like 1

My older son will be 11 in the last week of May and the younger has just turned 8. We are incredibly lucky that two of the UTD students who help teach the coding classes live very close to us and they have known my sons and worked with them from a very early age and are aware of their skill level and attention span. These are full day courses so they like to have students who they know will stay engaged in coding for 7-8 hour periods (though the younger one gets hives when asked to complete his LA work).

If Sacha is interested in Raspberry Pi and Arduino board projects, then they are available for purchase online (Amazon) and you can do those at home with him (my husband spend most weekends tinkering or completing projects with the boys. The big project this year is rebuilding an old Buick engine). There are numerous Youtube videos on them. Both my sons started with Pi and have moved on to Arduino. I would highly recommend both.

My DH already works with him on the Arduino, but I'd love to find a camp or class that would allow him in. His attention span is far greater than his same age peers, but no one wants to bend the age rules for my special snowflake. Sigh.

My DH already works with him on the Arduino, but I'd love to find a camp or class that would allow him in. His attention span is far greater than his same age peers, but no one wants to bend the age rules for my special snowflake. Sigh.

If you're near a Techshop (maybe in LA?) you could sign him up for a camp.  Has to be 8 years old or older simply for liability/insurance reasons.

http://www.techshop.ws/summercamp.html

I guess LA's Techshop is on hold:

http://www.techshop.ws/ts_los_angeles.html

but there are other locations in the US.....

• Like 1

My DS12 decided to apply for AwesomeMath camp because the day camp location is just a light rail train ride away.He missed the early application in January so it would be April before we know if he gets in. If he doesn't we have quite a lot of choices left if we are not picky. If he does, we will have limited choice for DS11 because it will be hard to drop DS12 off at 8am, get DS11 to camp and back in time by 4:45pm to pick DS12 up using the public bus and light rail train system.

Edited by Arcadia

My DS12 decided to apply for AwesomeMath camp because the day camp location is just a light rail train ride away.He missed the early application in January so it would be April before we know if he gets in. If he doesn't we have quite a lot of choices left if we are not picky.  If he does, we will have limited choice for DS11 because it will be hard to drop DS11 off at 8am, get DS12 to camp and back in time by 4:45pm to pick DS12 up using the public bus and light rail train system..

Did you have a reason for choosing AwesomeMath rather than, say, MathPath (or another math camp). Being able to commute is an obvious factor, but I wonder what other considerations there are. We're probably looking at math camps starting next year, so I was wondering which ones to look at, and their main features.

Did you have a reason for choosing AwesomeMath rather than, say, MathPath (or another math camp). Being able to commute is an obvious factor, but I wonder what other considerations there are.

DS12 doesn't want a residential camp. Also a two week camp leave more summer weeks free for him to do other things like pottery wheel class. MathPath is a four week residential camp in MA and DS12 wasn't interested in the east coast when we were in the Baltimore area choosing to take the overnight bus to Toronto rather than tour NY or MA.

• Like 1