Menu

please help! setting up our DC trip

kfeusse

We have decided when we are planning on visiting DC.  So now I am wanting to get tickets to the places we want to go.  For those places that require us to contact our congressman, and then wait for them to contact us...how am I suppose to book other tours without know when or if they are going to slot us for the ones they have control over. 

this whole process is sort of overwheming.  What do I do first? 

please hold my hand and guide me.  thanks.

Our congressman had an online form with check boxes for activities we wanted to do. They asked us to provide a range of dates we were available. They got all our requests scheduled without overlap or too much racing around by us. We didn't give them our entire range of available dates, that way we had days available for the things we scheduled for ourselves.

We found that it was best to plan one tour that required contacting our representatives each day. Then we slotted everything else around those tours. Plus, seeing two new things/places each day is PLENTY. Exhibits we often visit when in DC we just stop in and "visit" like an old friend; we don't spend much time in the rest of the museum.

We told the representatives which day worked best for each tour and we were well-accomodated. How many days will you be there and how many "rep. tours" are you aiming for?

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

We are planning on flying in on May 1 and leaving May 8th.  Do not know at this point what time the flight is...so I don't know if we will have time to see or do anything on those dates.

Here are the tours we are interested in:  I know we may not get to do them all, but these are the ones we are interested in.  So how would you tackle this list?

Rep tours:

White House

Treasury Building

US Capital Building

Bureau of Engraving and Printing

FBI

Other tours:

National Archives

Holocaust

Washington Monument

Ford's Theater

Arlington National Cemetery

Did I miss any important ones that I need to deal with now or in the near future?

Edited by NEprairiemom

For the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, you don't need to arrange that in advance. Just show up. It's next door to the Holocaust museum, so plan to do those on the same day. Maybe the Rep tour is a special one? Not sure, but you could just do the regular one and that would take it off your list to arrange.

• Like 2

For the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, you don't need to arrange that in advance. Just show up. It's next door to the Holocaust museum, so plan to do those on the same day. Maybe the Rep tour is a special one? Not sure, but you could just do the regular one and that would take it off your list to arrange.

Really, that is interesting because I am looking at the "unofficial guide" book and on a chart of major attractions to get advance tickets, it reads "Must go through member of congress for advance tickets"  are you saying that if I want to get advance tickets, the only way to do that is through my congressman, but if I just want to show up, I have that option too?  

Are there any others on my list that I won't need to get tickets for in advance?  I just don't want to not be allowed in someplace or have to wait forever because I didn't get advance tickets.

Really, that is interesting because I am looking at the "unofficial guide" book and on a chart of major attractions to get advance tickets, it reads "Must go through member of congress for advance tickets"  are you saying that if I want to get advance tickets, the only way to do that is through my congressman, but if I just want to show up, I have that option too?  

Are there any others on my list that I won't need to get tickets for in advance?  I just don't want to not be allowed in someplace or have to wait forever because I didn't get advance tickets.

Yes. Here is the BEP website https://www.moneyfactory.gov/washingtondctours.html I would check every place's website individually because things change frequently. Also, some places will do tours only on Mondays and Thursdays, for example.

The way I would approach this is to make a list of all the places you would want to visit - you could even prioritize them. Then, check everyone's websites to find out their policies. I know the Holocaust Museum does Advance Tickets online, but I think they also do same day tickets as well. But their tickets are limited.

Then call your Senator or Representative's office and talk to someone. See if they will take a list of your choices and then let you know. Some places will have a very limited number of tours available and have to be booked far in advance.

Also, plan to be flexible. Things change, often at the last minute. And weather - you can do Arlington Cemetery on your own, but you probably don't want to go on a day where it is pouring rain all day.

I hope that helps a little. I used to live near DC and have done most of the things on your list. I love panning trips, so I will help as much as I can!

• Like 1

National Archives – pretty sure this one is free and you just show up. I have been before and waited in line about an hour to get in.
Holocaust – Free Advance tickets online. Get them NOW.
Washington Monument – currently Closed, but could be open by May. Check their website. You can still see it from the outside.
Ford's Theater – can do online tickets in advance
Arlington National Cemetery – I believe you can get advance tickets, but you can just show up and do it there.

Also, are you taking kids with you? How old are they? Take that into account when you are choosing things. For example, my kids are 6, 9, and 10 and I won't take them to the Holocaust museum yet. It is seriously intense and my kids wouldn't be able to understand or handle it. I believe the FBI Tour is also not recommended for younger kids.

• Like 1

I just went on to our Senator's site...and sure enough...there was a list of places they can book for us...so I marked the ones we wanted...and i added in the "additional information" spot that we wanted to also tour Ford's Theater.  So hopefully we will get to talk to someone soon about all of this.

thanks for your help.

Other tours:

National Archives

Holocaust

Washington Monument

Ford's Theater

Arlington National Cemetery

Did I miss any important ones that I need to deal with now or in the near future?

I've been to all of those places and never done a "tour." If you want to do the top of the Washington Monument, you need tickets. Ford's Theater, but if it's not very busy, you just walk in and get the free timed entry tickets. I assume you may have to wait if it's busy but you could go in the morning and do a museum or have lunch nearby and come back. You can get timed entry for the Archives, but I never have. Ditto the Holocaust Museum. There are tours at Arlington, but you can also just park or walk in from the Metro and grab a map and explore yourself.

• Like 1

so, if I don't get tickets for Ford Theatre, will I still be able to see all of the parts they have listed...the museum, the performance, the Petersen House and the aftermath exhibits...or are all of those things only available if you get advanced tickets?  AND, are all of those things worth seeing?  We would have to pay $3 per person in advance, but "at the door" is free. 

The Washington Monument is closed for repairs.   :(  We paid the $3/ticket for Ford's Theatre because we didn't want to be stuck waiting in a line, it's a self-guided tour so it just lets you enter so you can look around.  

I looked into the Treasury and it looks like those tickets are only distributed first thing in the morning starting at 8am and the tickets for the day are gone by 9am, no advance reservations available.  I doubt we are going to manage that.  Also, I don't think the National Archives is a tour, it's just a timed entry to get in so you don't have to wait in line.

We are not going to the Holocaust museum because my 10 year old would be very upset by it and he's not ready yet.

I have a tour (this one is an actual tour) of the Capitol set up and have a request for a tour of the White House.

We also scheduled a 4:30pm tour of the Kennedy Center so that we could do the tour and then see the free performance after.

Edited by AngieC

In case this eases your mind:

When we went to DC we did nothing that required a ticket or a long line or an admission fee and still had a fabulous time. There really is so much to see there.

Still go for all the tickets you want but if something falls through you'll have lots of choices as a replacement, ime.

• Like 1

our kids are 12 (nearly 13 by trip time), 15 and 16. 

I know that the holocaust museum is intense, but we feel the kids need to at least see part of it... Do you think the 12 year old was be disturbed a lot by it?

Depending on the kid, I think age 12 is fine for the Holocaust Museum. If the 12 year old is highly sensitive, then maybe not. But I think it would be fine.

our kids are 12 (nearly 13 by trip time), 15 and 16. 

I know that the holocaust museum is intense, but we feel the kids need to at least see part of it... Do you think the 12 year old was be disturbed a lot by it?

We just showed up at the holocaust museum and had no problems touring it (same with Bureau of engraving and printing).  We had to move quickly through certain areas and skip others altogether, by about 2/3 of the way through my 12 year couldn't take anymore and we had to leave.  My DD isn't even particularly sensitive but it was hard on her.

If the Washington Monument is open (up thread someone said its closed), you have to go online for advanced tickets. They sell out really quick, like within a few minutes of being available! Last April one friend was able to get in line the day of and get tickets for her family, a week later we weren't. We did see a pedicab that gave free tickets with a ride, that would have been worth it to me but we noticed too late in the day.

I don't see the Newseum on your list.  We went with a school tour this May and I really enjoyed it.   

Are the memorials on your list -- Korean, Vietnam, World War II, Einstein, FDR memorial?  We went to all those in the early evening after the museums and other places closed.  I had been to DC when I was 18 and the Korean one was not there then.  It moved me to tears.  

• Like 1

In regards to the 12 yo and the Holocaust Museum... I have to admit that I don't fully get the whole experience of squeezing in the Holocaust Museum among other DC experiences. It's intense. But... there is a children's portion of the museum. It's unticketed and accessible even when the museum is really crowded (it'll be crowded too at those times though). It tells the story of a single boy and his family - you go through "his" home, his room, the camp they send him to, etc. It's very hands on. It's really aimed slightly younger than 12, though not by a lot. Lots of adults go through it as well. It's not as intense as the full museum.

• Like 1