Menu

Hoffman Academy Piano Reviews

TheAttachedMama

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone review this program for me?  

Has anyone been able to use this and stay consistent?   I do not know how to play the piano.  (I have a little bit of experience playing the violin and guitar.)    Would I be able to supervise these lessons?   

My kids have had about 6 months of lessons, but we are having a HARD time finding money for it in the budget every month.   I am looking at this as an alternative.   

• Like 2

bumping for you.

I happened to join in on the kickstarter for this which is supposed to launch soon.

We are at the end of Unit 2. It has taken us "all four of the evers" to get there mostly because I am absolutely awful about introducing new lessons.

You really need the paper packets as you get into Unit 2 as there is sheet music.  Keep in mind all the videos are free so you can figure out where to place your child first. 

My exposure to piano was learning how to play with one hand only in elementary school and fiddling on a Casio keyboard, so you are definitely miles ahead of me.  I think someone with a musical background could easily learn piano alongside their child with this program. Since we are not far along, I cannot say how proficient you would be at the end.  

We are also near the end of unit 2. We started in September. I joined the kickstarter as well, so I am looking forward to the new practice features. I usually do two new lessons on the weekend. There is often a new song alternated with new theory so it is usually fine to do two new lessons at once. After we do the new lessons, I write out 4 days worth of practice sheets. At least 2 of the days will include work on the new song and/or theory. The remainder of the sheets cycle through previously learned material. (Like anki but less precise.) I keep a list of mastered songs so I don't accidentally let anything drop. He does his practice sheets independently during 4 weekdays. I aim to have him at it for about 10 minutes each day, but he will often choose to do more. It takes me around half an hour to set up the week's practice sheets. So I am probably into it about an hour to an hour and a half per week.

I had around 6-9 months of piano lessons as a kid. I have no trouble at this level. Previewing the higher levels, I don't think I will struggle there either. Mr. Hoffman is really clear. My ds (newly 8 yo) thinks the puppet shows are hilarious. Overall, I think Hoffman is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Many people will want to continue lessons afterward, but I FAR prefer to do the intro level at home. This is well within my ability to coach with Mr. Hoffman's help, super cheap compared to private lessons, and there is no requirement to do recitals. The recitals are why I quit lessons as a child. I loved to play. I didn't want to be dressed up in a monkey suit and led out on stage to be a live advertisement for my teacher. Ds is not much of a performer and has said he doesn't want to do anything that requires recitals, but might like to play as part of a group later.

Edited by Syllieann
  • Like 4

Our story is much like the previous posters'.  We joined the Kickstarter, and Peter (7.5) is currently on unit 2.

Mr. Hoffman is a very good instructor, we like the worksheets that go along with the units and we are excited about the launch of the new system soon.

Wendy

• Like 1

Mine are a bit older, 8 and 10. I purchased the package to have the lessons with the videos. I thought about the new upgrade, but just not sure we need it. I have a year of Violin in Elementary and choir for years. It has been super simple so far. Beginning Unit two with the kids tomorrow I am in unit three. I don't think we will ever be able to afford lessons, so will just learn to read and by ear. I am good with that.

We've been using the program since last May. I print out all the materials for a unit and put it in a 3 ring binder with page protectors. I have both my kids use expo markers on the worksheet part of the lesson or mark notes, and that way it's reusable for the next kid. I also download the mp3 practice songs on the device they will be using for their lessons.

It's very easy to implement and Mr. Hoffman is a fantastic teacher! You can learn right along with your kids. He does all the teaching for you.

My job is to make sure the kids follow a good lesson format - on his website he has a great lesson checklist that I use to make sure the kids are practicing what they need to be practicing.

https://d26aybd97pahbz.cloudfront.net/shard0/wblob/1961FC19B74D1A/DB/8CA/rjzjvzCaI8RSbBEsdAu0eJ28U1TyBZD1ewYBDFTFnL4/piano-practice-chart.pdf

We are also near the end of unit 2. We started in September. I joined the kickstarter as well, so I am looking forward to the new practice features. I usually do two new lessons on the weekend. There is often a new song alternated with new theory so it is usually fine to do two new lessons at once. After we do the new lessons, I write out 4 days worth of practice sheets. At least 2 of the days will include work on the new song and/or theory. The remainder of the sheets cycle through previously learned material. (Like anki but less precise.) I keep a list of mastered songs so I don't accidentally let anything drop. He does his practice sheets independently during 4 weekdays. I aim to have him at it for about 10 minutes each day, but he will often choose to do more. It takes me around half an hour to set up the week's practice sheets. So I am probably into it about an hour to an hour and a half per week

I would be so grateful if you could share what one of your weekly plans look like. I can PM you my email address. The thing I struggle with most is being consistent in introducing the lessons and staying after the song rotation.  So it would be wonderful if you could share what yours looks like, even if it is just your writing on paper. 

Cintinative-Here is this week's lineup.  I am posting here since there are several people following who may be interested as well.  Hopefully it will help someone.  Please don't quote as I don't want to make this thread absurdly long.  I write page numbers on the printed materials to make things easier to find for ds.

Monday

• page 21 Mystery Animals!
  • page 24, follow instructions 3 & 4, answer questions next to the magnifying glass at the bottom of the page
  • Play Mouse in the House with 3 note chords
    • 3 x with words
  • Let us Chase the Squirrel
    • 3 x in C major w/ words
    • 3 x in  C major w/ solfege
    • 3 x in C major w/ letters
    • 3 x in D major w/ words
    • 3 x in  D major w/ solfege
    • 3 x in D major w/ letters
  • Rain Come Wet Me
    • 3 x in  C major w/ solfege

Tuesday

• page 23 Alphabet Towers
  • Hand Over Hand Arpeggios
    • 3 x in C major
    • 3 x in D major
  • Hand Over Hand Chords – C major, pg 7-8
    • 60 bpm
    • 72 bpm
  • Clap to beat w/ metronome for 30 seconds
    • 1 time at 60 bpm
    • 1 time at 72 bpm
    • 1 time at 80 bpm
  • Engine, Engine
    • 2 x with words
    • 2 x with solfege
    • 2 x with letter names
  • Yankee Doodle

Wednesday

• 5 Woodpeckers –
  • Hand over Hand Pentascales
    • 3 x in C major
    • 3 x in D major
  • Chocolate
  • Play Mouse in the House with 3 note chords
    • 3 x with words
  • Let us Chase the Squirrel

Thursday

• Hand Over Hand Arpeggios
    • 3 x in C major
    • 3 x in D major
  • Listen for Bells
  • Frog in the Middle with Chords – C major
  • Who’s That in C major and D major (pg 17)
  • Like 2

We're in unit one and only just added piano through Hoffman Academy this semester. It's actually a great deal more popular with the kids than the private music lessons ds took a few years ago. Did I mention they were also cheaper?

I don't know how to play the piano and dh doesn't remember much of it from when his mom made him take lessons. I p,ayes the flute/tenor sax when I was in school. Dh played the trombone and was in choir so we both have a general familiarity with reading music. It would be easy for a non-musically inclined parent to go through the Hoffman Academy lessons on their own, though.

We bought one year in advance with the pre-2.0 special price for one kid and I'll do month to month for the other two.

• Like 2

Can anyone share how they are using the premium membership with multiple kids? Would all of the kids be able to play the games if only one had the premium membership? TIA!

You can have one premium membership and then free accounts for other students or a mix of premium and free. I suppose you could have your other children log in under the premium account and then play the games there, but that's pretty unethical/stealing, imo.

I bought one premium membership when the buy a year in advance deal was on and planned on then signing up for the month to month additional memberships for my other two kids. The way that's ended up working out is that I have a $149 credit and that translates to roughly 4 months before I have to pay the $33 it costs for my three kids. That's $11/mo per student which is a steal for music lessons compared to what we paid when ds took lessons locally.

• Like 1

We did the Kickstarter back in the day for lifetime membership. My girls are in unit 3, but we've taken a break. Now that 2.0 is up, I'm looking forward to hours of Dinah in my house. It's too early to say how 2.0 will be, but my girls adore Mr. Hoffman. I've said before, it is like taking piano lessons from Mr. Rogers. And they are pretty thorough too. (I took years of lessons and would say I'm advanced intermediate). I highly recommend them.

Edited by Meagan S

We've been using Hoffman this year, and my kids LOVE it. I got the premium membership, so we just started that last week. Two of my kids are in unit 2 (they were about halfway through unit 2, but then Christmas break = no piano, so we backed up to the beginning of unit 2 when we started the premium thing), and one of my kids is partway through unit 1. The premium membership gives them specific things to do each lesson, and I really like that. I think they'll get more out of practicing knowing which things to do and which hand and how many times, etc. So far, there is only one game available, but they have two more coming soon.

For multiple kids, I suppose if they are able to go the exact same pace, they could work together through the lessons and check off things for all the children at once. But ethically, I agree with others to go ahead and pay for multiple kids. Hoffman has put a LOT of work into these lessons, and the videos remain free. I bought 3 premium memberships and find it to be money well spent. And it is so much cheaper than in person lessons, not to mention that I don't have to leave the house and lose half a school day! Obviously, if your child wants to be a concert pianist, in person lessons are the way to go. Kids will outgrow Hoffman eventually. But for early learning, I'm really liking it. I do have a musical background, but I think if you watch the lessons yourself, you'll get the idea enough to help your child if you don't know how to play piano.

• Like 3

I have a couple of questions:

Does this work best if the child has a tablet they can place on the piano?

Does anyone offer discounts?

We just bring my laptop over to the table next to the piano. I assume a tablet would be even better but it is not necessary.

As far as the paper part (the printables), there is usually a sale on these a couple of times a year.  I am not sure about discounts on the new Hoffman 2.0. That was sort of what the Kickstarter was about.  Maybe someone else can comment on that. My understanding is that the video lessons will remain free. 

• Like 2

This sounds amazing, thanks for posting!

For students new to playing an instrument, does this program teach how to read music?

I've been very please with how Mr. Hoffman approaches teaching musical notation.  Right in the middle of the first unit, some of the printables are already having kids compose and play their own measures of music to practice using quarter notes, eighth notes and quarter rests.

By the end of the first unit (lesson 20), the students know what note letters correspond to all the piano keys, and at the beginning of unit 2 the grand staff is introduced.

I do supplement Hoffman Academy at that point by having my kids play some apps (like NoteWorks) that drill note reading.

Wendy

• Like 1

We just bring my laptop over to the table next to the piano. I assume a tablet would be even better but it is not necessary.

As far as the paper part (the printables), there is usually a sale on these a couple of times a year. I am not sure about discounts on the new Hoffman 2.0. That was sort of what the Kickstarter was about. Maybe someone else can comment on that. My understanding is that the video lessons will remain free.

The materials are included in the subscription now. And it works great with our iPad, but a laptop would work too. Edited by Meagan S
  • Like 1

The materials are included in the subscription now. And it works great with our iPad, but a laptop would work too.

They still have the option of buying the unit materials without a subscription.  This might make sense (especially if they do go on sale at some point) for a family with multiple kids who are trying to save money.

I agree with previous posters that it is unethical to use one subscription with multiple kids, so instead someone might opt to just buy the materials outright (scheduling lessons and review for each child on their own) and not continually pay for multiple subscriptions.

There are currently 9 units, but Mr. Hoffman says he will be expanding, so let's round that to 10.  

10 units * $19 = $190 for all the printable materials to use with the free lessons for all your children (as long as you only print one copy of the materials as per the licensing).

OTOH, it would cost $238 to buy two children a year long subscription...and clearly it would take far longer than a year to make it though 10 units' worth of materials, so the total price, especially if you have more than two children, would be much, much higher than $190.  Plus, the $190 would not have to be a lump sum like the $238, but rather $19 at a time paid over the course of several years as children advanced through the units.

Wendy

If you just buy the units, you're only missing out on the additional online components, right? Like practice and games? (I've only glanced at it all, but I remember there being mention of games and such included with something...)

Yes. The unit downloads have activities built in like the alphabet towers, but you do it on paper instead of electronically. The automated practice checklists are probably the bigger draw for the premium version.
  • Like 1

If you just buy the units, you're only missing out on the additional online components, right?  Like practice and games?  (I've only glanced at it all, but I remember there being mention of games and such included with something...)

The printables have everything you need. IMO !

He has changed unit 1 and 2 at least with the 2.0 upgrade, which was an issue for me as I own the printables and just purchased them in Dec. So he said I could just go to Youtube for my lessons, which are in line with the printable or upgrade. All of the audio files are downloadable with the printable package. So it is complete.

Now the upgraded 2.0 gives step by step daily practice instructions, you check off as you complete, that you could design on your own, and so far 1 game we haven't played.  I had to sign up for a month of 2.0 to see what I was missing.

Now mind you my kids are 8 & 10, I feel that 2.0 would not benefit us really, but would add a bit of variation and play for the kids. I don't care for that enough to continue past this month I have paid for.

Edited by StartingOver
  • Like 1