Menu

Questions about BJU DL Online classes

In keeping with my son's desire to have more courses "at the same place/same LMS"

I would like to know how the Distance Learning with BJU works.

Do they grade students work?
What is Mom expected to do?
How easy/difficult are experiments? Do they generally work?
Have you tried any electives?

I've heard that the BJU Chemistry is exceptionally well done and all my friends kids that took it did very well on the SAT subject.

But we also have a great co-op class that used Apologia although I don't know how much extra Kahn academy he would have to do with that Choice. 

The specific courses we would be looking at for next year are:

Chemistry 

Geometry

Electives 

• Like 1

My kids have done BJU DLO for science in 6-10th grade. It's excellent. At this point, with dd in chemistry, I do nothing. She manages her lessons, follows the directions (at the end of each lesson it gives assignments), takes her tests, etc. The grading is automatic unless you want to override something (occasionally dd can explain why she's correct and I change her grade). My dd took chemistry locally last year so she's already done the labs (it was apologia and she wanted much deeper science than it offered...She said by chapter 4 in bju they'd covered all of apologia). Otherwise, when we do labs, I stand in as a useful lab partner. I don't have a lot of experience, but I'd say it's a super solid honors level class. We haven't done anything but science.

• Like 1

It's been a long time since we've done chemistry, but for BJU 7-10, I still mark some of the chapter reviews and labs.  The quizzes and tests are graded, but I check for spelling and written answers.  You have the option of including the grades for some written work or ignoring it.

You do need to have the materials to do the experiments.  If not, the lab instructor will do a demonstration from which they may use the data.