Menu

Who diagnoses dyslexia?

popmom

What professional is qualified to make a diagnosis of dyslexia? One that the schools would recognize (should I ever need their services--unlikely) or testing organizations would recognize for accomodations. She's only 11 now.

ETA: I'm reading through others' posts on similar topics, and it's overwhelming all the different types of evaluations that are needed. I just don't know where to start. I thought OT would be the place to start but the OT I know said start with dyslexia after looking at writing samples I sent her. I guess I'll eventually figure this out.

Someone l know here has suggested I try a local private OT/speech therapy place that is supposed to be very good. I just spoke to someone on the phone at this place. They will do evaluations but don't officially diagnose. But they offer something called Orton Gillingham therapy for dyslexia. So I'm still a bit confused. At least I have a place to start.

Edited by stephensgirls

We used an Educational Psychiatrist (or Educational Psychologist, I forget now...) for ours. She did a full battery of tests and wrote the diagnosis and report just as if she were writing it for an IEP.

A Nuero-psych could also diagnose it, but I think an EduPsych would be cheaper.

There may also be other options, I'm not sure.

• Like 1

Psychologist for sure.

Whether a SLP can diagnose dyslexia vs. just phonological processing disorder depends on the state. The American Speech-Language-Hearing Association does the certification of SLP's and according to them, literacy disorders are within the scope of practice for SLP's. But each state has its own rules about who can diagnose what. I haven't been able to get a straight answer about my state. I'm interested in eventually getting certified as an educational therapist and academic language therapist in addition to SLP. I would really like to be able to officially diagnose dyslexia and language-based learning disabilities rather than just "screening" for them. I'm not interested in going for a PhD. or PsyD. that is primarily training to do psychotherapy/counseling just to be able to officially diagnose LD's related to written language. I don't see a significant distinction between diagnosing oral language disorders and written language disorders the way I see a distinction between diagnosing oral language disorders and diagnosing mental health disorders or developmental disabilities.

• Like 1

I found this: Alabama Scottish Rite Foundation Learning Centers

It's interesting to me that they list the Spalding Writing Road to Reading as a recommended intervention. That was the only thing that worked to teach my daughter to read. She was 8 when she started reading. I kind of dropped it once her reading improved to grade level in favor of more traditional phonics books. I think I'll start using that method again for the spelling rules.

Edited by stephensgirls
  • Like 1

Spalding is one of the Orton-Gillingham-based programs. It's not the most user-friendly but it is solid.

There are a bunch of O-G variations. Some are designed for typically developing kids (All About Reading and Logic of English) and others for reading intervention (Barton, Wilson, Slingerland, etc.). Each has its own "spin" on O-G and different pros & cons. There was a whole long thread on the topic that you might want to read through when you have the time.

• Like 3

SWR was developed as a spin-off, streamlined version of OG for kids with no disabilities. It leaves off very significant, important components for kids with SLDs, makes lots of assumptions about what will come naturally (vs. needing explicit intervention), and has a wicked, unsustainable pace for some kids with SLDs. Also, it was written by someone who literally tells us that dyslexia is CAUSED by how the dc was taught reading, not a genetic condition.

Oh, and fwiw, I used SWR successfully with my older dc. I have a free guide to using it on Lulu and have been a BIG advocate over the years. But with my dyslexic ds I use Barton. SWR is just a really incomplete, downright inappropriate tool to suggest for dyslexia intervention. I know people try, and I'm just saying it's doing it the hard way and missing a LOT of good stuff. And yes I know that's the in the "tell us what you REALLY think" category, lol. I'm just saying I think that's shocking and crazy for a dyslexia school to suggest it. My per level cost for Barton is relatively low when I buy and sell used. Like literally, your real cost is maybe $25 a level. I've lost track. It costs $100 for a set of SWR. Makes more sense to use Barton, which has higher upfront but more support, more tools, and AMAZING resale value.

Also, it might be informative to do the Barton pre-test and ask Barton for the placement tests if they pass the pre-test. 

I agree that what you're looking for is a psychologist to do evals. Could be through the ps (variable quality but the price is right, free) or any level of psychologist you can make happen. A neuropsych will do the most detailed, swanky testing typically, and also cost the most money because of the hours spent. At a BASIC level, all you really need is achievement, IQ, CTOPP, and an ADHD screening. Since an SLP or the dyslexia place won't do ALL those, personally I wouldn't stop there. Now it's true, around here you can get a CTOPP and DRE for $75 with a tutor. That's a lotta info! But you still don't have paper trail, complete diagnoses, a way to advocate for IEPs, etc. etc. You aren't getting referrals for other problems (OT, vision, etc.), and you aren't getting any comorbid stuff like ADHD, anxiety, SLD math or writing, etc. diagnosed. Those things are super, super common!

So see what you can make happen. Psychs each have their gig on what they run, so you can ask basics like:

-how many hours of testing will you do?

-how long, typically, are the reports?

-what tests are you likely to do?

-do you do the CTOPP?

Then just compare and see what you can make happen. Sometimes the evals through the ps are horrible and sometimes they're very good! It's definitely worth considering at least, if only to get in the loop.

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 4

SWR was developed as a spin-off, streamlined version of OG for kids with no disabilities. It leaves off very significant, important components for kids with SLDs, makes lots of assumptions about what will come naturally (vs. needing explicit intervention), and has a wicked, unsustainable pace for some kids with SLDs. Also, it was written by someone who literally tells us that dyslexia is CAUSED by how the dc was taught reading, not a genetic condition.

Oh, and fwiw, I used SWR successfully with my older dc. I have a free guide to using it on Lulu and have been a BIG advocate over the years. But with my dyslexic ds I use Barton. SWR is just a really incomplete, downright inappropriate tool to suggest for dyslexia intervention.

First of all, thank you all for responding!

Secondly, the abbreviations are killing me! Please tell me what SWR is. All I can come up with (after a google search) is Spelling to Write and Read--is that it? because I'm not using that. Whew!

But--if you are referring to Writing Road to Reading, then I need to reconsider. I will definitely check into Barton. I'm not familiar with it, but definitely intrigued. Writing Road to Reading was hard for me to implement. Maybe Barton will be a better fit. My daughter technically reads on grade level, but I feel like there are some deficiencies--especially spelling.

She has a lot going on, so I am really trying to find a neuro-psych. Unfortunately, the only names I'm getting from locals are speech language pathologists. Some will not give a diagnosis, but some claim they do. It's too wishy washy. I'll keep looking.

On a bright note... I finally got her to try an audo book (I did the 30 day freebie on Audible), and she's loving it. She's listening to A Wrinkle in Time. Its a book that I tried to get her to read, but she never finished it. She is telling me that she's enjoying it much more listening to it. She realizes that she's missing a good bit while reading. She's picking up on things while listening that she missed when she was trying to read it. Success! That makes me happy! I just want her to be able to enjoy really good literature. :)

• Like 2

SWR is Spelling to Write and Read, which is Wanda Sensari's homeschool guide to Spalding's WRTR. While I haven't seen SWR, I have used WRTR with my oldest. I agree with OhE's statement that it is not appropriate for dyslexia intervention. If you've got a child with LD's, you need a program designed for intervention. Barton is the most "user friendly" of those because of the videos but it's not the ONLY program. Wilson and Slingerland are solid intervention programs as well, though you'd need to get training on how to use them since there's no videos like Barton has.

• Like 2

SWR is Spelling to Write and Read, which is Wanda Sensari's homeschool guide to Spalding's WRTR. While I haven't seen SWR, I have used WRTR with my oldest. I agree with OhE's statement that it is not appropriate for dyslexia intervention. If you've got a child with LD's, you need a program designed for intervention. Barton is the most "user friendly" of those because of the videos but it's not the ONLY program. Wilson and Slingerland are solid intervention programs as well, though you'd need to get training on how to use them since there's no videos like Barton has.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm about to read through the long thread you linked earlier.

First of all, thank you all for responding!

Secondly, the abbreviations are killing me! Please tell me what SWR is. All I can come up with (after a google search) is Spelling to Write and Read--is that it? because I'm not using that. Whew!

But--if you are referring to Writing Road to Reading, then I need to reconsider. I will definitely check into Barton. I'm not familiar with it, but definitely intrigued. Writing Road to Reading was hard for me to implement. Maybe Barton will be a better fit. My daughter technically reads on grade level, but I feel like there are some deficiencies--especially spelling.

She has a lot going on, so I am really trying to find a neuro-psych. Unfortunately, the only names I'm getting from locals are speech language pathologists. Some will not give a diagnosis, but some claim they do. It's too wishy washy. I'll keep looking.

On a bright note... I finally got her to try an audo book (I did the 30 day freebie on Audible), and she's loving it. She's listening to A Wrinkle in Time. Its a book that I tried to get her to read, but she never finished it. She is telling me that she's enjoying it much more listening to it. She realizes that she's missing a good bit while reading. She's picking up on things while listening that she missed when she was trying to read it. Success! That makes me happy! I just want her to be able to enjoy really good literature. :)

Ooo, this is exciting!!  Love, love, love L'Engle!!!  There are quite a few sequels, and these books have characters she can identify with!  Now if you get her a diagnosis, your ped can sign the application for the National Library Service, which will give you FREE access to loads and loads and loads of audiobooks! That alone would pay for your evals. Seriously. Go to the NLS/BARD website and see all the amazing stuff. Try looking for the L'Engle books. You'd get access to everything for FREE. And your local library can get you things on ILL. Get a teacher's card with no fines and order them. ILL=inter-library loan. Select stuff online and it's there for you to pick up when you go.  :)

WRTR is the parent program of SWR. There's controversy there. I've used both. It's normal to be confused by WRTR. Barton is fully scripted, and I think the problems you had with WRTR will be completely, completely solved with Barton. Promise. :)  And Barton includes videos to help you through everything AND you can email Barton herself. Actually, you can pick up the phone and call her. You won't have the same problems as you did with WRTR. It will blow your mind. It's MUCH more thorough. It's like asking if a scooter is a Harley. ;)  They both have two wheels, so they're the same, right? Get the big guns and get it going. :)

• Like 2

Oh yes, when you step up to actual intervention materials meant for dyslexia, you do have options! Barton unique in that it is fully scripted and requires no outside training. For a fair number of people, that's going to be the right choice. There are even people who've done OG training who still prefer using Barton's manuals.

My ds is one who really pushes the envelope on Barton, because his disabilities are so extensive that they require constant modification of Barton. I'm talking like you wouldn't recognize anything we do any more. But it's what I've got and it saves me time and I make it work. But that's like way out of the norm. He has apraxia, so anything involving speech was hard. He has the dyslexia and dysgraphia, so any time it said writing it's a bust. He has horrible (as in he hurts his workers and we're gonna have to bite the bullet and medicate) ADHD, so manipulatives and sessions are hard. He has autism, so you can't even be sure he cares about being in the room with you to work on it. He's more likely to get up and leave than to stay, which is a reason we have workers and do ABA.

Most kids aren't like that. Most kids are just kinda nice and normal and sit and do the lessons and learn and are fine, lol. Really, Barton is pretty brilliant. I'm insanely picky about things, and I LOVE Barton. 

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 1

Wanted to go back to this. Not only is it great that she's enjoying the book, but that means her comprehension is better with the audio! That means you want to validate for her the concept of ear reading. Ben Foss has videos on this, so search on youtube. Ear reading and eye reading. Both are validate. The sooner you validate this and encourage it, the better. Empower her. :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

OhElizabeth, thanks for all the encouragement! I think even if the final diagnosis is not dyslexia, I'll start Barton with her after reading about it. I found a facebook group for my state for parents of children with dyslexia and the admin recommended a relatively new non profit here in Birmingham called Alabama Game Changers. They will give a formal diagnosis. A medical doctor, licenced psychometrist, OT, etc are all involved in the eval process. Most are volunteers. They refer you elsewhere for services which is important to me because I feel like they will be objective. I have this paranoia that the public schools will be quick to dismiss and not give a diagnosis because they don't want to have to provide services. And on the flip side I'm paranoid that the local for profit child therapy center that is so highly recommended here will be too quick to give a diagnosis because they stand to make money off of it if I use their therapists for treatment. I feel like Game Changers will be most objective. It will cost me some $$$, but $600 for a full eval seems reasonable.

AND OhElizabeth--their website says that a diagnosis/report from them qualifies the student for audiobooks through organizations such as Bookshare and Learning Ally, so I'm interested how those compare with National LIbrary Service. Are you familiar with either?

Alabama Game Changers (just in case someone else from bama comes across this thread). ;)

Edited by stephensgirls

Wanted to go back to this. Not only is it great that she's enjoying the book, but that means her comprehension is better with the audio! That means you want to validate for her the concept of ear reading. Ben Foss has videos on this, so search on youtube. Ear reading and eye reading. Both are validate. The sooner you validate this and encourage it, the better. Empower her. :)

Yes! Thanks! I was recently talking to another homeschooling mom in my small group at church about this very thing. She's done a lot of research on this "ear reading". It's very encouraging to me. I've always had in my head that it's inferior to eye reading. I'm learning! I will check out the Ben Foss videos.