Menu

Behind in math

My oldest DS 12 is in 7th grade. He works at or above grade level in all things, except math. He is just starting MM 6B, so that puts him behind by a year. 

We are debating on putting him in PS for high school, but now I'm wondering if being behind in math is going to be a big problem. 

Any advice? Should we stick with MM and just keep plugging away where he's at. Should we switch after he's finished with MM6? Will it throw things off if he enters 9th grade needing Algebra?

We live in CA and he's like to attend a CSU or UC in some sort of Humanities major. 

I would try to work in some prealgebra after MM, and he should be fine. My oldest DD is a senior now, but she went into PS in 8th grade. She completed 5b in 6th grade, went back to Saxon because level 6 wasn't out yet I think, and then went into PS where she took prealgebra. She did so well, her teacher recommended she take honors algebra in 9th grade.

• Like 1

MM7 *is* prealgebra.  Prealgebra is on grade level for 8th grade.  He will be ready for algebra 1 in 9th.  In that light, he is not behind in math.

However, Common Core 8 is another matter.  If PS is a possibility, I strongly suggest finding out what math program the high school uses, how the courses are structured (traditional or integrated), and when the placement test would be (e.g. April or August).  If the school follows Common Core, there are a few additional topics from CC8 to include prior to the placement test (e.g. functions and function notation, maybe even systems of equations).

Edited by wapiti
  • Like 5

MM7 *is* prealgebra.  Prealgebra is on grade level for 8th grade.  He will be ready for algebra 1 in 9th.  In that light, he is not behind in math.

However, Common Core 8 is another matter.  If PS is a possibility, I strongly suggest finding out what math program the high school uses, how the courses are structured (traditional or integrated), and when the placement test would be (e.g. April or August).  If the school follows Common Core, there are a few additional topics from CC8 to include prior to the placement test (e.g. functions and function notation, maybe even systems of equations).

Friends with kids in PS have all said their kids are taking Algebra 1 in 8th grade here. 

I will try and find out what program they use here. 

Friends with kids in PS have all said their kids are taking Algebra 1 in 8th grade here.

That may be the case but it doesn't necessarily mean Algebra 1 in 8th is the standard path. Your friends' kids may well be in the advanced track.

• Like 1

My oldest DS 12 is in 7th grade. He works at or above grade level in all things, except math. He is just starting MM 6B, so that puts him behind by a year. 

We are debating on putting him in PS for high school, but now I'm wondering if being behind in math is going to be a big problem. 

Any advice? Should we stick with MM and just keep plugging away where he's at. Should we switch after he's finished with MM6? Will it throw things off if he enters 9th grade needing Algebra?

We live in CA and he's like to attend a CSU or UC in some sort of Humanities major. 

He can always take his maths at the community college and transfer those credits to UC or CS.

Copied from my school district math description. Hope it helps.

"W***** High School

Algebra 1

COURSE DESCRIPTION

Algebra 1 is a one-year course that builds on arithmetic skills and algebraic concepts taught in the earlier grades. A grade of "C" or better is required for continuation to Geometry and for admission to the University of California.

ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE

Upon successful completion of this class, students will be able to:

• Understand and perform the operations of multiplication, division, addition and subtraction over

the set of rational numbers

• Add, subtract, multiply and simplify algebraic expressions (special emphasis on the distributive

property)

• Solve linear equations

• Translate simple linear relationships into equations

• Factor first and second degree polynomials

• Understand and apply the properties of proportions and percents

• Graph linear equations and inequalities in the coordinate plane

• Analyze linear equations and find equations of lines

• Understand appropriate terminology and notation used to define functions and their properties

(including but not limited to domain and range)

• Translate simple linear relationships into equations

• Use various methods to solve systems of equations and inequalities (graphing, substitution

and eliminations)

• Understand the properties and basic theorems of whole number roots

• Simplify numerical radicals

• Solve quadratic equations using the quadratic formula and factoring

TEXT

California Algebra 1, Prentice Hall (publishers)

MATERIALS NEEDED DAILY

Pencil and eraser

Notebook (journal)

Textbook"

Emphasising Wapiti here...

"Common Core 8 is another matter."

My DD is enrolled in a CC6 math course that uses EngageNY's materials (which are challenging). She completed SM through grade 5 and part of DM7CC before I switched her over to full time enrollment. DD is handing the material like a champ because this is her second time through it, but kids who had standard courses previously, or even less rigorous CC-aligned textbooks, are struggling with the depth of the questions. DDs teacher told me that the 7th and 8th graders are hovering at 70% and 60% pass rates respectively. At DD's school, Algebra 1 BEGINS with factoring quadratics (which means it's introduced in Math 8 and reviewed in Algebra 1).

If you can, find out what materials the school is using and get a cheap used copy on Amazon so you can see what DC will be expected to know.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

Algebra in 8th grade is the standard path in many affluent school districts. But I cannot imagine a public high school that isn't teaching plenty of sections of Algebra I for him to take. And I don't know of any state where - assuming he does reasonably well as he goes - he won't have plenty of time to finish all the requirements for graduation. Yeah, it may not be ideal for him to be in a different math than his friends, but in many places, it's really not unusual to take Algebra I in 9th grade.

• Like 1

Correct. Almost all CA students take CC Algebra in 8th now. This course is much harder/more advanced than the Algebra 1 of my day. 

Today's CC Algebra 1 is more like Algebra 1.5 (with many topics covered that used to be covered in Algebra 2/Trig, plus the reasoning skills of CC).

My son is doing CC Algebra 1 now (in a rare accelerated 7th-grade program) and it is a pretty tough course.

Bill

• Like 1