Menu

Wiring a Car (well Minivan) to Allow MP3 Player/Phone Input

umsami

We have a 2006 Honda Odyssey.  It works pretty well save for an issue with the power steering and the a/c. (Not deal breakers for me at this point.)  One thing that bugs me, however, is that I can't listen to music from my phone.  Is there an easy way to rewire or add some sort of adaptor to the car?

Does the van have a cassette player?  You can buy a cassette adapter for under $10 that slides into the cassette deck and has a cord on the other end that plugs into your phone or MP3 device.

https://www.amazon.com/Q-daily-Expressway-Cassette-Compatible-Cellphones/dp/B01LY4V94L/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1484581430&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=cassette+adapter&psc=1

There are also FM adapters like this one

https://www.amazon.com/Scosche-tuneIN-Universal-Transmitter-Player/dp/B004NEUK86/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1484581346&sr=8-5&keywords=fm+to+mp3

Again - it's under $10.  You plug your music device in and it plays the music over your FM radio

Edited by AK_Mom4
  • Like 2

Does the van have a cassette player?  You can buy a cassette adapter for under $10 that slides into the cassette deck and has a cord on the other end that plugs into your phone or MP3 device.

https://www.amazon.com/Q-daily-Expressway-Cassette-Compatible-Cellphones/dp/B01LY4V94L/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1484581430&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=cassette+adapter&psc=1

There are also FM adapters like this one

https://www.amazon.com/Scosche-tuneIN-Universal-Transmitter-Player/dp/B004NEUK86/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1484581346&sr=8-5&keywords=fm+to+mp3

Again - it's under $10.  You plug your music device in and it plays the music over your FM radio

We used the cassette kind (or rather my daughter does) with our old car. it worked really well but not well, if you don't like what she's listening to but that's another issue  :glare:

• Like 1

Not sure this is what you are looking for... we replaced the old AM/FM radio and CD player in our 1997 Suburban with a new unit that included an AUX jack for plugging in ipod, phone, etc.   We got it at Crutchfield.com, which may have other options.  I see a tab for "Bluetooth Car Kits and Adaptors."

In our other ancient car, we have an adaptor for the cassette player.  I think my husband got that at the same place.

• Like 1

seems like they sell adapters to which you plug in your phone, and put into the cd player. one of my kids has something, when we went on vaca, they had an adapter they plugged into the laptop and then into the car's sound system.

dh had his done professionally so he can answer phone calls through the radio. (completely hands free, and much better sound than speaker phone on a cell.)    he conducts a lot of business on his phone.

• Like 1

We've had an FM transmitter like this for years, and it has worked well enough that I've been satisfied. I mainly listen to audiobooks on it (so poor quality would be more apparent than it would be with music). We have a GoGroove, but the one I linked is much newer and has better reviews. I still fantasize about having a new car stereo with aux jack (or even *gasp* Bluetooth! :D), and I'm sure my next car will have Bluetooth as a standard feature, but I love my 2002 minivan and I'm not ready to let the old gal go yet! In the meantime, the FM transmitter works more than fine.

• Like 2