Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW3: Author Oulipo Mashup

Robin M

Powells.com has a sale/reduced prices on various feminist books right now.

I'm kind of between books, I think. I had started Reputations & was enjoying it, but I think the tone is turning a little too bleak for what I want right now. I will definitely read it... just later.

I've picked up & started another one or two, but it's kind of the same thing. Definitely ones I want to read, but they're just not the right tone for me now.

I'm between books, too. I have one book that I feel obligated to read (it's my second time requesting it through inter-library loan), but it's a speculative science book where it seems every paragraph requires analysis, reflection, or conjecture. I like it from a brainfood standpoint, but it requires more mental stamina than i have right now.

• Like 12

Last night I finished reading book #5 to the little guys.  The Rabbit Ate My Flip-Flops by Rachel Elizabeth Cole.  It was good.  Not quite as good as the first The Rabbit Ate My... book.  The boys liked it and that's what's important.

This afternoon I officially joined the ranks of first degree black belt (as did my husband).  Apparently I did really, really well, too.  So now five of the six of us are first degrees.  Adrian is all that's left and he's on the slow path to black belt.  He's been taking class since he was 5 and we figure at this rate he'll be testing for his first degree at 14.

bb1.jpg

bb2.jpg

• Like 29

Great job, Heather. What a big achievement! I love the pictures!

I'm between books, too. I have one book that I feel obligated to read (it's my second time requesting it through inter-library loan), but it's a speculative science book where it seems every paragraph requires analysis, reflection, or conjecture. I like it from a brainfood standpoint, but it requires more mental stamina than i have right now.

Powells.com has a sale/reduced prices on various feminist books right now.

I'm kind of between books, I think. I had started Reputations & was enjoying it, but I think the tone is turning a little too bleak for what I want right now. I will definitely read it... just later.

I've picked up & started another one or two, but it's kind of the same thing. Definitely ones I want to read, but they're just not the right tone for me now.

Last night I saw a book that I am looking forward to trying. Dh and I had 2 hours to spend at the mall while the kids were at a nearby meeting. We spent quite awhile in Smith's and Waterstone's (bookstores) When I walked in to Waterstones I was immediately drawn to an incredible looking display of books with absolutely gorgeous covers. The book is The Essex Serpent. https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/jun/16/the-essex-serpent-sarah-perry-review-novel Victorian gothic. I'm planning to pick a copy up tomorrow.

Eta: I changed my link because it wasn't working. In future posts you will see this book is not being released in the US until June. I am really sorry. :(

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 16

A hotel for booklovers:

http://www.standaard.be/cnt/dmf20170120_02685360

I realise the article is in dutch, but the pictures speak for them selves...

Oh my. Where is that? Is it in the Netherlands? I will be in the Netherlands in May, possibly for the last time (sob). Maybe I could work out a night there :)

One of the most beautiful bookstores I ever saw was in Masstricht; it is in a former church. Do you know of it? Boekhandel Dominicanen.

Here is an article in English about it:

http://architizer.com/blog/sacred-bookstore/

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 14

I finished two books this week (but both were pretty light reading...) I finished Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up. I don't know how applicable it is because I'm not going to dump everything out and get rid of stuff at this point. However, trying to think about things in a positive sense is useful. Also, I like the idea of "training" oneself to recognize joy by starting with easy things and then moving on to hard things. But I don't have six months to devote to reducing stuff and a lot of those principles only work if you are a single woman in a small apartment. 

Last night I finished Down the Garden Path. I didn't really like it at first, but it grew on me. I especially liked his bit about city gardening and his stories about making the rock garden. I probably won't read the second in the series, though!

I am continuing to chip away at SWB's History of the Ancient World and I love it! I like her comparison of a Sumerian leader to Jimmy Carter. And I love it all the more because my neighbor is an eminent Sumeriologist. I had my first City of God book club and am really enjoying the book. I have a really readable translation and am surprised by how relevant much of the discussion is. I am also appreciating how much I understand due to homeschooling. 

This week I need to pick up a German book. I'm reading Moomintroll Midwinter aloud to my kids. Since I'm a newbie, does that count? :-)

• Like 17

Oh my. Where is that? Is it in the Netherlands? I will be in the Netherlands in May, possibly for the last time (sob). Maybe I could work out a night there :)

One of the most beautiful bookstores I ever saw was in Masstricht; it is in a former church. Do you know of it? Boekhandel Dominicanen.

Here is an article in English about it:

http://architizer.com/blog/sacred-bookstore/

Unfortunetly

The pictures are from a hotel in Portugal:

http://www.theliteraryman.pt

The last time I visited Maastricht I was a kid, to visit the caves and hills (In dutch often referred as 'mountain')' a big bookstore I would have definetly remembered!!!

• Like 15

This week I finished Being Mortal by Atul Gawande. I loved this book. I think anyone who either will be caring for someone elderly or who will be older anytime I'm the near future should read it. It has some really touching stories in it as well.

I'm a couple chapters into Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain. It talks about schools implementing exercise into the student's school day and how it helped their test scores and grades. So far it's really interesting, even though I'm skimming some of the more technical (read:over my head) information.

• Like 17

Literary bliss! Yesterday was the first meeting of the Junior Great Books discussion group I organized for half a dozen young ladies, aged 13-16, and it went off swimmingly. They dug through and discussed the ideas they had found in good and careful readings of three Chekhov short stories, with an intelligence and maturity that would have done an undergrad seminar proud. Next month, Sophocles!

Meanwhile, our library discard store had a bonanza of fifty-cent books, where I picked up-

Christopher Isherwood, Down There on a Visit

Thomas Hardy, Under the Greenwood Tree

Mary Shelley, Frankenstein (1818 text!)

St Ignatius of Loyola, Personal Writings

Henri Pirenne, Medieval Cities

Dylan Thomas, Adventures in the Skin Trade & Other Stories

Jacques Barzun, Darwin, Marx, Wagner

D. H. Lawrence, Selected Poems

Herbert Spencer, Essays on Education

Giovanni Verga, The House by the Medlar Tree

Goethe, Elective Affinities

Dostoevsky, Best Short Stories

H. R. Ellis Davidson, Gods and Myths of Northern Europe

Aristophanes, The Wasps, The Poet and the Women, The Frogs

Cicero, De Finibus (Loeb edition!)

Must ... read ... faster....

ETA: Also a trove of Alcott for Middle Girl, who likes everything LMA wrote except Little Women.

Your book club sounds wonderful!

• Like 11

Last night I saw a book that I am looking forward to trying. Dh and I had 2 hours to spend at the mall while the kids were at a nearby meeting. We spent quite awhile in Smith's and Waterstone's (bookstores) When I walked in to Waterstones I was immediately drawn to an incredible looking display of books with absolutely gorgeous covers. The book is The Essex Serpent. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-38167600. Victorian gothic. I'm planning to pick a copy up tomorrow.

This looks wonderful, mumto2. Your link didn't work for me but I found it on GR and Amazon and read the sample. Writing is very good, story is intriguing. Onto the tbr list it's gone. 

ETA Darn, I see that it's not to be released until June. Oh well, it's not like I don't have a whole host of other books to keep me busy between now and then ;)

Edited by shukriyya
  • Like 12

This looks wonderful, mumto2. Your link didn't work for me but I found it on GR and Amazon and read the sample. Writing is very good, story is intriguing. Onto the tbr list it's gone.

ETA Darn, I see that it's not to be released until June. Oh well, it's not like I don't have a whole host of other books to keep me busy between now and then ;)

I'm sorry! So very confused. I did actually look at Amazon.com to make sure it had been released in the US before posting and for me it looks like it has been. But when I look closely one section has £ but everything else is $. Maybe Amazon is adjusting from where I am? As in willing to sell it to me via US with a UK delivery. Confused.

Well I will definitely try and pick the book up tomorrow from the branch library that has it on the new releases shelf!

• Like 14

Yesterday I finished The Last Girl by Jane Casey, the third book in the Maeve Kerrigan series. I read the first two books in December, and I'm looking forward to reading more when I've finished the other things in my stack.

I recently discovered this series, and I'm enjoying it so far. I love mysteries, and I'm drawn toward series that emphasize character development and show the protagonists' lives changing over time. Maeve is a young detective on the Met's murder squad in London. Although relatively low on the totem pole, her skills are valued by her superiors, and she plays a vital role in the investigations. Two subplots in this story connect to events in the previous book and hint at developments to come in the future, although the main story line is resolved. I'm interested in seeing how things develop.

• Like 14

I'm sorry! So very confused. I did actually look at Amazon.com to make sure it had been released in the US before posting and for me it looks like it has been. But when I look closely one section has £ but everything else is $. Maybe Amazon is adjusting from where I am? As in willing to sell it to me via US with a UK delivery. Confused.

Well I will definitely try and pick the book up tomorrow from the branch library that has it on the new releases shelf!

Great! Looking forward to your review :D

• Like 8

Another option:  Book Depository has free delivery worldwide and has the book ~

The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 13

Congratulations, Heather! I want you at my back in the dark alleys.

Thank you friends for the enthusiasm/solace regarding Great Girl. Wee Girl doesn't really believe her sister is leaving. Middle Girl alternates between tears and delight at moving into GG's room.

Did someone mention books starting with "E"? I was actually struggling with which I would read for the upcoming E in my Name Challenge: Essays by "Elia" (Charles Lamb); Everything That Rises Must Converge (Flannery O'Connor); Eminent Victorians (Lytton Strachey); or English and Scottish Ballads (Child).

• Like 14

Last night I finished reading book #5 to the little guys. The Rabbit Ate My Flip-Flops by Rachel Elizabeth Cole. It was good. Not quite as good as the first The Rabbit Ate My... book. The boys liked it and that's what's important.

This afternoon I officially joined the ranks of first degree black belt (as did my husband). Apparently I did really, really well, too. So now five of the six of us are first degrees. Adrian is all that's left and he's on the slow path to black belt. He's been taking class since he was 5 and we figure at this rate he'll be testing for his first degree at 14.

bb1.jpg

bb2.jpg

Congratulations!!!

• Like 10

Read only 1 book this week...it was a kids book too 😊 Was prereading it to see of it would be a good suggestion for my DD..it wasn't. Nothing wrong with it at all but its a ghost story and more aimed at older tweens/teens I think...maybe just a tad too mature for her but not really scary or anything. I enjoyed it so I'm borrowing more in the series 😆 Author is Mary Downing Hahn.

Was searching through my library catalogue and decided to look up SWB. Previously they have only ever had one book of hers. Much to my delight they now have 7 or so of her books and I ordered them all 😠Have no idea how thick they are so I might be renewing them a few times. Even ordered Story of the World 3 although we arent up to that one yet...just want to hold it in my hands and peruse because I now can 😂

• Like 15

I finished my first book for the year "the pleasures of reading in an age of distraction". Kind of ironic how long it took me to finish it! I do have several books on the go at once though so hopefully will finish a few more. The book was interesting and outlined some of the problems of trying to read now, and did offer some solutions. I didn't feel like it was going to be life changing or anything and there were a lot of citations. I think it's more aimed at those who are already readers of good books but are struggling to read with the internet so available. It wouldn't be overly helpful for complete non readers wanting to get started on the way well educated mind is.

• Like 14

Read only 1 book this week...it was a kids book too 😊 Was prereading it to see of it would be a good suggestion for my DD..it wasn't. Nothing wrong with it at all but its a ghost story and more aimed at older tweens/teens I think...maybe just a tad too mature for her but not really scary or anything. I enjoyed it so I'm borrowing more in the series 😆 Author is Mary Downing Hahn.

Was searching through my library catalogue and decided to look up SWB. Previously they have only ever had one book of hers. Much to my delight they now have 7 or so of her books and I ordered them all 😠Have no idea how thick they are so I might be renewing them a few times. Even ordered Story of the World 3 although we arent up to that one yet...just want to hold it in my hands and peruse because I now can 😂

I think it's great that your library now has a stack of SWB books. Being able to look and plan for the future is so much fun! Not sure if you were able to get the Story of Western Science or not but some BaWer's are doing a read along. Robin will be including each week's chapters in her first post when it starts. Sorry, I can't remember when it is supposed to start.

• Like 17

I finished my first book for the year "the pleasures of reading in an age of distraction". Kind of ironic how long it took me to finish it! I do have several books on the go at once though so hopefully will finish a few more. The book was interesting and outlined some of the problems of trying to read now, and did offer some solutions. I didn't feel like it was going to be life changing or anything and there were a lot of citations. I think it's more aimed at those who are already readers of good books but are struggling to read with the internet so available. It wouldn't be overly helpful for complete non readers wanting to get started on the way well educated mind is.

I just added it to my TBR list - thanks. I hardly read any books last year, and in all honesty not so many the year or two prior, either. And that was completely out of character for me. The internet only gets partial blame; I was distracted by life events. Normally, I would distract myself from my distractions with escape into a good book, but something went awry. One thing I am trying to get over now is the idea that I got "behind" on books. I am working to banish the inner silly voice that says things like "You never read The Goldfinch? WHAT?! Shame on you, everyone read that in 2013/2014. Why bother, now?" So thanks for the mention!

ETA: This is my new self-talk: If The Goldfinch was good in 2013/2014, it will be good in 2017. Or 2018. A good novel has a longer shelf life than that! If not, I don't think I missed much after all.

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 19

Since I'm using audible now, and probably will for most of my books this year, I wanted to mention the Send This Book feature.  Anyone can receive one free book from audible through a friend that recommends it:

http://www.talkingnewmedia.com/2016/05/11/audible-to-let-audiobook-owners-share-one-book-free-of-charge-as-introduction-to-share-mechanism/

If you haven't already received a free book this way, I'd be happy to share any I've read, just PM me.  (You will have to set up an account, but according to others I've shared with you don't have to pay or sign up for anything.)

• Like 14

I agree. I read it a couple of years ago, and honestly I had trouble staying awake in some parts. [emoji5] I am chronically sleep deprived, though, so that probably had something to do with it.

I do like to read books about books to recharge my reading, though. One of my favorites is Tolstoy and the Purple Chair. Since she reads a book a day I guess it could seem intimidating, but I didn't find it so. The book is more about recovering from grief by finding both solace and help in books. My tastes in books are generally different than the author's but I still peruse her booklist from time to time and I've reread the book at least once.

I also liked how she went about achieving her goal. Since she was focused on the number (and makes it clear that this was only for the one year) she figured out beforehand how fast she could read and how much time she (theoretically) could spend reading and then she only picked books that fit those parameters. So mostly they were shorter books. It kind of gave me permission to only read short books during those times when I feel like I just can't handle anything long because it will go on forever given my circumstances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 15

ETA: This is my new self-talk: If The Goldfinch was good in 2013/2014, it will be good in 2017. Or 2018. A good novel has a longer shelf life than that! If not, I don't think I missed much after all.

Exactly! This is just why some of us are skeptical of books written after about 1950.

Re: "E" titles: Middle Girl recommends Eight Cousins and The Eumenides.

• Like 17

Exactly! This is just why some of us are skeptical of books written after about 1950.

Re: "E" titles: Middle Girl recommends Eight Cousins and The Eumenides.

I am the one complaining about the E situation. Please thank Middle Girl for me but I have already read both long ago. Since we can't do rereads the game becomes a bit harder. I loved Eight Cousins but have read that more than once so truly a reread!

I have already found my potential E for Amethyst, Engleby by Sebastian Faulks https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2392274.Engleby has been on a wish list for awhile. I actually went and found books in my stack for most of the letters.

It just dawned on me that The Essex Serpent which I picked up today would work as an E. Honestly not sure that I will wait for February. I may just use it for my Bingo free space. It's too pretty to go unused! ;)

• Like 15

I am the one complaining about the E situation. Please thank Middle Girl for me but I have already read both long ago. Since we can't do rereads the game becomes a bit harder. I loved Eight Cousins but have read that more than once so truly a reread!

I have already found my potential E for Amethyst, Engleby by Sebastian Faulks https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2392274.Engleby has been on a wish list for awhile. I actually went and found books in my stack for most of the letters.

It just dawned on me that The Essex Serpent which I picked up today would work as an E. Honestly not sure that I will wait for February. I may just use it for my Bingo free space. It's too pretty to go unused! ;)

For those of you looking for 'E' books, I have three on my Bingo list I haven't seen mentioned...

Embassytown by China Miéville, The Heart of the Sea that I just finished has 'Essex' in the subtitle - would that count?, and Exiles of Erin by Fanning (that one's for my 'your  name in the title' square).  Actually, if subtitles count, I have two more books on my larger to-read list with E's in their subtitles...  I'll share if they're valid. :)

I'm not going to be doing this spelling the gems thing with you guys though.  I'm feeling really great that I've finished 9 (!) books already and January isn't done... but if I had to commit to spelling out gemstones every month on top of it, I think I'd be totally overwhelmed - and some of them are long words to spell out!  And I've got some tomes on my larger list that I hope to get through... I have El laberinto de los espritus/Labyrinth of the Spirits coming on Monday from Amazon - (that's an E too, but only if you read Spanish ;) )  It's the fourth book in the Cemetery of Forgotten Books series by Carlos Ruiz Zafón, and it's 928 pages.  :ohmy:   I've enjoyed that series so far, so I'm looking forward to that one- it will also complete my first bingo row :D, which I'm kind of surprised by, as I hadn't actually been trying to read them in any order.  I also have Sunne in Splendor down for my Middle Ages bingo square...

I might be able to keep up with books with just gemstones in the title, as long as they're not awful or more tomes (too bad I've already read Girl with a Pearl Earring; that would be great for June...)  Has anyone thought of a good book with Amethyst in the title?  That's my birthstone, so it would be fun to do that one, at least.  A quick search on Amazon came up with mostly be what appear to be bodice-rippers and pulp-type reads...

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 15

I finished Ein Mann namens Ove/A Man Called Ove today.  That was indeed quite an enjoyable read.  The only niggly complaint I'd have is that the author has apparently never met a cat - he must think they're dogs that meow.  A cat that will follow you around and behave itself?  Sit in the car without a carrier and not walk across the windshield or puking/peeing/pooping all over (I had a cat that used to do all three *in the carrier* on a 1/2 mile ride to the vet...), but sit quietly where you put it??  And that otherwise just followed him placidly around - any cat I've ever met, if I brought it in a car to a strange place, it would wander off and I'd never see it again, except maybe after hours of pleading and offering treats, and if I brought it into a cafe it would be sitting on the counter and sniffing - and possibly stepping in - everyone's food, not sitting on a stool politely...)  But other than the incredibly dog-like cat, which was fun anyway, I really enjoyed it.  My dh is an engineer who likes to escape to his shed and work (and do acts of kindness) with his hands; while he's not quite as grumpy as Ove (though he has his moments), I could kind of relate.

Some questions on translation... I read in review on Goodreads a complaint by someone that they didn't like it because he was abusive to the cat and kicked it.  Did they really translate it that way?  The only times I recall him doing anything to the cat was when he threw his wooden shoe at it and missed by a mile, and he pushed the cat out of the way once - was that translated as 'kick' in English??  The word in German was 'stups' which translates to 'nudge'.  I have nudged many a cat out of the way (they love to lie in the most annoying places...)  I of course have no idea what the original Swedish was, but 'nudge' seems much more likely in the context of the character and the situation.

And he kept correcting a certain grammatical point - in German it was a confusion between the dative and genitive cases, which doesn't even seem like a mistake I've heard much in German.  Whatever it was in Swedish must have been a common error (like I/me confusion in English).  Curious what grammatical error it got switched to in English, and what it was...  just 'cause I'm a grammar nerd, and translation choices are interesting. :D

I also wondered a bit about the number of English names.  Jimmy?  Patrick?  Were they supposed to be Swedish, or from somewhere else?  If I'd read it in English, I might have thought they Anglicized some weird Swedish name (they do things like that in some translations...), but they really stick out in German, so I'm thinking they must be as written...?  Maybe there's a trend to naming kids English names in Sweden??

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 14

For those of you looking for 'E' books, I have three on my Bingo list I haven't seen mentioned...

Embassytown by China Miéville, The Heart of the Sea that I just finished has 'Essex' in the subtitle - would that count?, and Exiles of Erin by Fanning (that one's for my 'your  name in the title' square).  Actually, if subtitles count, I have two more books on my larger to-read list with E's in their subtitles...  I'll share if they're valid. :)

I'm not going to be doing this spelling the gems thing with you guys though.  I'm feeling really great that I've finished 9 (!) books already and January isn't done... but if I had to commit to spelling out gemstones every month on top of it, I think I'd be totally overwhelmed - and some of them are long words to spell out!  And I've got some tomes on my larger list that I hope to get through... I have El laberinto de los espritus/Labyrinth of the Spirits coming on Monday from Amazon - (that's an E too, but only if you read Spanish ;) )  It's the fourth book in the Cemetery of Forgotten Books series by Carlos Ruiz Zafón, and it's 928 pages.  :ohmy:   I've enjoyed that series so far, so I'm looking forward to that one- it will also complete my first bingo row :D, which I'm kind of surprised by, as I hadn't actually been trying to read them in any order.  I also have Sunne in Splendor down for my Middle Ages bingo square...

I might be able to keep up with books with just gemstones in the title, as long as they're not awful or more tomes (too bad I've already read Girl with a Pearl Earring; that would be great for June...)  Has anyone thought of a good book with Amethyst in the title?  That's my birthstone, so it would be fun to do that one, at least.  A quick search on Amazon came up with mostly be what appear to be bodice-rippers and pulp-type reads...

Another good E book would be Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City, which would also work for the Finance Bingo Square  :D

If I recall correctly, the Gemstone challenge involves either reading a book with the gemstone in the title, spelling out the gemstone's name with book titles, *or reading a book that relates to the gemstone in some way: place of origin, color, etc.*  So I'm thinking that for Amethyst, one could read The Color Purple, for example.  Just like for January, it was kosher to read a book about/set in ancient Egypt or Rome - both places where garnets were important and valued stones. Or you could read a book set in the gemstone's country of "origin" or where it's mined. So I think there are a lot of options besides spelling out the gemstone name! I'm having fun trying to do that right now just using books I had planned to read anyway, but I'm sure I'll have to give it up later in the year - and as you say some of the names are long (Aquamarine, I'm looking at you  :glare: )

• Like 16

Embassytown by China Miéville, The Heart of the Sea that I just finished has 'Essex' in the subtitle - would that count?, and Exiles of Erin by Fanning (that one's for my 'your name in the title' square). Actually, if subtitles count, I have two more books on my larger to-read list with E's in their subtitles... I'll share if they're valid. :)

I'm not going to be doing this spelling the gems thing with you guys though. I'm feeling really great that I've finished 9 (!) books already and January isn't done... but if I had to commit to spelling out gemstones every month on top of it, I think I'd be totally overwhelmed - and some of them are long words to spell out! And I've got some tomes on my larger list that I hope to get through... I have El laberinto de los espritus/Labyrinth of the Spirits coming on Monday from Amazon - (that's an E too, but only if you read Spanish ;) ) It's the fourth book in the Cemetery of Forgotten Books series by Carlos Ruiz Zafón, and it's 928 pages. :ohmy: I've enjoyed that series so far, so I'm looking forward to that one- it will also complete my first bingo row :D, which I'm kind of surprised by, as I hadn't actually been trying to read them in any order. I also have Sunne in Splendor down for my Middle Ages bingo square...

I might be able to keep up with books with just gemstones in the title, as long as they're not awful or more tomes (too bad I've already read Girl with a Pearl Earring; that would be great for June...) Has anyone thought of a good book with Amethyst in the title? That's my birthstone, so it would be fun to do that one, at least. A quick search on Amazon came up with mostly be what appear to be bodice-rippers and pulp-type reads...

I'm hoping to read Amethyst Dreams by Phyllis Whitney. She was one of my favourite authors growing up. I doubt I read this one back then.

Oooh no, Aquamarine. I trying to take this a month at a time. At least it's just one e!!! :lol:

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 11

If I recall correctly, the Gemstone challenge involves either reading a book with the gemstone in the title, spelling out the gemstone's name with book titles, *or reading a book that relates to the gemstone in some way: place of origin, color, etc.*  So I'm thinking that for Amethyst, one could read The Color Purple, for example.  Just like for January, it was kosher to read a book about/set in ancient Egypt or Rome - both places where garnets were important and valued stones. Or you could read a book set in the gemstone's country of "origin" or where it's mined. So I think there are a lot of options besides spelling out the gemstone name! I'm having fun trying to do that right now just using books I had planned to read anyway, but I'm sure I'll have to give it up later in the year - and as you say some of the names are long (Aquamarine, I'm looking at you  :glare: )

Ooo, where they're mined... I think that amethysts are mined in Brazil?  Any really awesome books set in Brazil someone can recommend?  Even better if they're Brazilian authors. :)

• Like 11

Gosh, you all, I can not keep up with you!  

I finally finished reading Waverley by Sir Walter Scott.  I blogged about it this a.m.  I am doing the bingo challenge so Waverley fills my 'classic' requirement.

I am still plowing through City of God and will be for weeks and weeks.

I've had a false start on Mary Beard's SPQR: A History of the Roman Republic.  I was going to listen to it in the car but bluetooth stopped speaking to my phone, so that has stalled out before I even got to the second chapter.  So far dh and ds have tried to fix things but are baffled at what has gone wrong.  Boo hiss!

A friend bought me a book for $1.00 at a used book sale.  Wasn't that sweet of her?  She thought I might like the author, Jean Kerr.  She's famous for Please Don't Eat the Daisies, which I've never read.  This book though is entitled Penny Candy.  I started reading it last night.  It is really a collection of funny stories written for magazines in the late 50's - early 60's.  They are light, humorous, interestingly dated in a way that evokes nostalgia and makes me miss my mom. 

Edited by Faithr
  • Like 2

I'm quoting so you'll hopefully read this. I've seen the old threads pop up with new content because people are still posting in them. For you and all the newbies:

Every Sunday, Robin starts a new thread and we stop posting on the previous week's thread. You can carry over a conversation, but on the new thread. Robin will list a link to the new thread each week. A few posts up here, she linked to this week's thread. I'm in Eastern time and usually see her new thread post sometime around 1 or 2 my time. 

I'm not posting this to admonish anyone for continuing to comment in the old threads. I just don't want any of you to miss out on the conversation that's continuing each week in a new thread. 

• Like 5

I'm quoting so you'll hopefully read this. I've seen the old threads pop up with new content because people are still posting in them. For you and all the newbies:

Every Sunday, Robin starts a new thread and we stop posting on the previous week's thread. You can carry over a conversation, but on the new thread. Robin will list a link to the new thread each week. A few posts up here, she linked to this week's thread. I'm in Eastern time and usually see her new thread post sometime around 1 or 2 my time. 

I'm not posting this to admonish anyone for continuing to comment in the old threads. I just don't want any of you to miss out on the conversation that's continuing each week in a new thread. 

I am so out of it, I didn't even notice it was the wrong week!  I will repost in the right thread.  Thanks for letting me know.

• Like 2