Menu

Textbook for secular science?

poppy

Is there a textbook for science topics you can recommend for this age?  My daughter is in 3rd grade.

We have been doing REAL Science Odyssey and some Janice Vancleave.  It's OK.  The subject matter is great, but, it feels a little scattered for my daughter.  

We've recently stated Mosdos, which had an old-fashioned hardback textbook, and my daughter response REALLY well to that.   I think textbooks in other subjects would be wonderful.

She also completely refuses to do any notebooking  (dyslexic / dysgraphic) which is kind of important in RSO ...... another reason I'd like a textbook she can reference.

I'm only looking for secular science.

Thanks!

(For those on the chat board, this is a spinoff of the "homeschool things I don't get" thread)

It might not be exactly what you are looking for since it is not a standard textbook, but BFSU is secular, and definitely not scatter-shot (although it kind of feels that way when you first start.) It presents topics in such a way that they build on each other, but you have a lot of wiggle room as to the order in which you present them. Right now we are doing more physical science sorts of things (ie. air pressure), and saving biology for the spring, when plants and animals are easier to observe.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies. I will look into Singapore.

I do have BFSU and it is good meaty stuff. But when I say textbook, I mean a book the child can use and reference.

Mosdos Press lit books remind me of full sized hardback textbooks from my own elementary days. The questions in it are directed to the student. I can say 'go get out your lit book' and she can open yo the page we left off at. Is is just a satisfying experience to use it.

• Like 1

Depending how you and she feel about ebooks, Mr. Q might be a possibility.

It is secular and not at all scattershot.  It is more funny and conversational than most textbooks, though.

There is no notebooking, but it does come with crosswords/word scrambles/matching pages to review the vocab and concepts in each chapter.  It also comes with two activity or experiment ideas for each chapter.

His life science book is free, so that would be easy to grab.  Today is also the last day of his annual 50% sale if you wanted to try one of the other books.

Wendy

• Like 1

Maybe Pearson's Interactive Science? Timberdoodle do the homeschool kids for around $62 per grade. It's a bit like Science Daybook from the looks of it, the student writes in the "textbook" (you could do this verbally until your daughter gets more comfy with writing?). It's almost impossible to fine samples but you can see some by using Google image search. 

Cambridge Primary Science looks like a very good textbook type programme, and is a cheap option if you don't go for the Teacher's book. There's a good samples on the website, but I'm not sure of the logistics of having posted to America. 

We love Mosdos!

As for science, we use these freebies:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/472872-mcgraw-hill-science-textbook-workbook-lab-book-free-grade-1-6/

My kiddos received tablets for Christmas, so I put the pdf in iBooks. Colorful, full of pictures, just a simple intro to a broad variety of topics.

A similar school textbook is Science: A Closer Look. We've used those before and they're pretty easy to find for cheap on Amazon.

• Like 2

I love the Galore Park Junior Science books 1-3 for elementary grades. They are thin, paperback texts that are perfect for a child to read independently and they contain questions at the end of each section which can be answered in writing or orally. Good information, easy to get done, and inexpensive when purchased used.

• Like 4

Depending how you and she feel about ebooks, Mr. Q might be a possibility.

It is secular and not at all scattershot.  It is more funny and conversational than most textbooks, though.

There is no notebooking, but it does come with crosswords/word scrambles/matching pages to review the vocab and concepts in each chapter.  It also comes with two activity or experiment ideas for each chapter.

His life science book is free, so that would be easy to grab.  Today is also the last day of his annual 50% sale if you wanted to try one of the other books.

Wendy

I’ve been using Mr. Q for my 7 and 8 yo.  We started with the free life science book last year and now we’re working through the Earth science book.  It is inexpensive and I can print out pages for each of the kids.  I love the experiment ideas and we do at least one every week, but I do add additional resources because some concepts seem to be lacking in depth. The kids love the little jokes in the sidebars and fight over who gets to read them aloud each week.

I will look into these, thank you!

Look at Real Science 4 Kids.  Their elementary texts are actually quite good with advanced vocabulary, but easy to understand with excellent diagrams and illustrations.

Thank you, but, I am told this is not a secular product, but is instead intelligent design-based (without using those exact words).

• Like 1

Thank you, but, I am told this is not a secular product, but is instead intelligent design-based (without using those exact words).

FWIW, I've found RS4K to be secular but we've also only been using the Geology one for a few weeks now. We only use the textbook portion and do our own thing for experiments.

ETA: after reading the following comment I'm now purely curious where the intelligent-design slant comes in. It's not a deal breaker for me and Mr. Inquisitive LOVES his "new science" so we won't be changing but... still. Curious. We're doing astronomy and geology this year and you'd think that those would be some of the science subjects it'd be more prevalent in (plus biology). We're only 1/3 of the way through Geology but I haven't seen anything blatant (or overt) yet. I wonder if I'm just missing it/haven't gotten to it yet or if it's  more present in the teacher's manual/labs - neither of which we use.

When I was on the hunt for a non-Christian science text Mr. Q was actually my first choice but the unfortunate font made my kids' eyes bug out of their heads. So maybe look into that?

Edited by WistfulRidge

you are correct, it is an "intelligent design" curriculum.

Part of the issue is that for young elementary aged kids, science textbooks aren't going to be all that good. Many schools don't really use texbook for kids that young, they tend to focus on handouts and hands on and the kids make their own science notebook etc.

If you are looking for just science reading assignments on discrete topics your best bet might be your public library.  Ours has literally thousands of short readable books on every science topic imaginable. I recently saw some books on DNA and genetics written for young elementary aged kids. My son is a 6th grader and does have a textbook (CPO) but I still supplement with reading from the library.

I have used Science Daybook, it is a complete science curriculum if you want, or it can be supplemental. But, I've never seen the ones for young children, I used them in middle school.  It is reading on a topic and then you answer questions in writing on the reading. It also had stuff in there like 'write a poem about sound waves' which IMO is totally stupid, lol. My friend suggested them as a 'perfectly good science for when life is so busy you can't get science done'.  She also warned me that kids hate science daybooks, and she was totally correct, because it's boring. It is boring! But she liked it for when she needed science to happen and it just wasn't. It's a workbook, and you just open and do the next thing. There are hands on demonstrations in the book, but they are very basic.

• Like 2

FWIW, I've found RS4K to be secular but we've also only been using the Geology one for a few weeks now. We only use the textbook portion and do our own thing for experiments.

ETA: after reading the following comment I'm now purely curious where the intelligent-design slant comes in. It's not a deal breaker for me and Mr. Inquisitive LOVES his "new science" so we won't be changing but... still. Curious. We're doing astronomy and geology this year and you'd think that those would be some of the science subjects it'd be more prevalent in (plus biology). We're only 1/3 of the way through Geology but I haven't seen anything blatant (or overt) yet. I wonder if I'm just missing it/haven't gotten to it yet or if it's  more present in the teacher's manual/labs - neither of which we use.

When I was on the hunt for a non-Christian science text Mr. Q was actually my first choice but the unfortunate font made my kids' eyes bug out of their heads. So maybe look into that?

From what I understand it is a "neutral" not secular text in that she does not acknowledge evolution in any way... I'm using Blair Lee's definition (more here).  I'm curious about how she handles the Big Bang in astronomy? Typically "neutral" textbooks will just skip it, while a secular science text would consider it fairly crucial.

(I have used non-secular texts at times, like Story of the World, I don't think it's the worst sin in the universe.)

I have about 11 tabs open right now to read about the different options. I'm a little overwhelmed but SO glad I asked!!

So, are you looking for a complete science curriculum or are you looking for just a textbook in which you can assign reading on your current topic? 

Complete as possible.  I know there is endless supplementation available but I just want simple.

From what I understand it is a "neutral" not secular text in that she does not acknowledge evolution in any way... I'm using Blair Lee's definition (more here).  I'm curious about how she handles the Big Bang in astronomy? Typically "neutral" textbooks will just skip it, while a secular science text would consider it fairly crucial.

(I have used non-secular texts at times, like Story of the World, I don't think it's the worst sin in the universe.)

I have about 11 tabs open right now to read about the different options. I'm a little overwhelmed but SO glad I asked!!

Also, I recall from a while back that there was a quote of her saying that she intentionally writes her curricula to plant seeds of doubt about science, hoping kids will turn to ID instead. Other people might feel differently, but I don't want a science curriculum that's trying to make my dd doubt science.

I've been very happy with Science: A Closer Look. I bought workbooks from the publisher very inexpensively. We supplement with BrainPop videos, occasional Mystery Science units, and activity kits, but the textbook is a strong backbone. I don't have the link on my phone, but there is a history museum that has links for every chapter that are fun to explore. Each graded textbook spirals through the same topics, going deeper each year. We did all of the 3rd grade book last year, got about a quarter of the way through 4th grade and then skipped up to 5th. It is interesting to read and full of solid info. It has given him a great foundation and allowed him to understand all sorts of things he explores on his own (National Geographic, Nova, etc.)