Menu

If you or someone you know has completed a Duolingo tree, how much time did they spend on it?

Depends. Are you using the app or the website? The app is quicker, but I don't think you necessarily learn as much.

Are you strengthening the previous skills as you learn new ones? That takes longer, but helps you learn the language better in the long run.

I've finished two language trees and continued for several months to keep them all the way gold. It took me about 20 minutes a day for a year, but I could have done it quicker or slower. (Some of those days were spent only on reviewing & regolding previous skills.) I think it depends on your own pace of learning and what you want to get out of it. I worked on one of the languages for a couple of years before I finally got the motivation to finish it. The other could have been finished sooner as I knew that language better - but I didn't make the time.

• Like 3

I doubt many people have timed it. I worked on 3-5 skills per day for 7-8 months and had a gilded tree (every skill was gold). Given that each skill takes about 5 minutes... 5 minutes x average of 4 skills/day x 8 months... about 70 hours. Probably a bit more, since I tended towards 5 skills per day.

• Like 3

I think it also depends on the language.  One of our older sons is cruising through Spanish, but the German is harder for our younger son & he seems mired in the reviewing effort.  It does help to do it every single day.

The younger son also says that there's a feature on the side bar that shows how many total questions you've answered.

• Like 2