Menu

Extra Practice for OPGTR

JR12

I just started the Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading with my (almost) five year old. We just finished lesson 29 but I wanted to get some more practice in before moving on. I have repeated lesson 29 twice but have noticed my son is started to memorize the words and sentences instead of actually reading them. Is there any readers or extra practice that we can use? 

That's a big lesson--are you repeating it because you don't think he "gets" blending sounds to read a word? Beginning Bob books are a great supplementary thing we do after lessons.

PS If he really has just memorized the order of the words on the page, it should help to do the follow up activity suggested, where you're forming words at random with magnetic letters.

Edited by LBK
  • Like 1

That's a big lesson--are you repeating it because you don't think he "gets" blending sounds to read a word? Beginning Bob books are a great supplementary thing we do after lessons.

PS If he really has just memorized the order of the words on the page, it should help to do the follow up activity suggested, where you're forming words at random with magnetic letters.

I'm not sure if he "gets" it just yet. He's very good at memorizing things. He has been in speech for the last 1.5 years and they did a lot of memorizing lists of words and sentences to practice so he is trying to do the same with the lessons. I will keep doing the magnetic letter exercises. 

I'm not sure if he "gets" it just yet. He's very good at memorizing things. He has been in speech for the last 1.5 years and they did a lot of memorizing lists of words and sentences to practice so he is trying to do the same with the lessons. I will keep doing the magnetic letter exercises.

I would practice blending for a bit. You could do oral blending with say it fast say it slow. So you'd say Caaaaaaaat slowly stretching out each sound and he would say the word fast "cat"

I made a blending slide. I think it was on Pinterest. But you have the letters and put one at the bottom and then slide letters down to blend them.

We also did racecar blending. I drew a race car track and wrote CVC words on it. Then I had her drive a car over the track. When she got to a word she had to say each sound as she drove over it and blend the word together.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

My phonics concentration game, fun way to practice, makes both real and nonsense words to help prevent guessing, you cannot guess or memorize randomly generated nonsense words!!  Free to print or make:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Phonics/concentrationgam.html

Fun blending ideas, you can get word list from a free online phonics program like Blend Phonics or Word Mastery, Don Potter has a ton listed, here is his page and then my blending page and blending video with blending tips and fun blending ideas:

http://www.donpotter.net/education_pages/reading-instruction.html

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/blendingwords.html