Menu

WWYD...pirated Barton level

caedmyn

I bought Barton level 1 from someone on homeschoolclassifieds.  I asked for pictures before paying, and it wasn't obvious from the pictures, but now that it's here, it's definitely pirated.  Everything *looks* the same, but the box is a slightly different style, tiles are plastic (I'm assuming level 1 tiles are supposed to be wood like the others?), student pages are photocopies, manual must have been photocopied and spiral bound to look like the original.  I'm guessing the seller bought it as is (they appear to be a legit seller with some feedback and a number of other, typical and not-pricey, items listed) and may not even know it's a pirated copy.  I would probably have thought it was just a crappy printing job if I didn't have other levels to compare it to.  WWYD?

Yeah, I would, too.  Ask for a refund through Paypal.  That stinks.  So sorry caedmyn.  

Although, I guess you can still use the material but you wouldn't have an official copy so you wouldn't have the support off the website.  Not really needed for Level 1, though.  I wouldn't pay a ton for a pirated copy but especially with Level 1 I don't think it would be nearly as big an issue to use a photocopy as with one of the later levels.  The tiles should be wooden but Level 1 only has colored tiles, no letters, and they are really only used for that level so I'm not sure it matters.  You could use colored felt or colored card stock or whatever.

In your shoes, if you felt you paid too much for what you got I would ask for a refund through Paypal.  If you are o.k. with what you paid and feel you can still use the material, then I'm not sure what you should do...

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Oh, I'm so sorry!  Did you just purchase this?  I ask because I have been looking for level 1 and tried to buy one from Homeschool Classifieds recently, but it was already sold.  These don't come up often so I assume it was the same set.  Now I'm extremely leery to buy a used Barton at all.  Maybe I should buy straight from Barton.

I would definitely ask for a refund.  If seller won't cooperate I would consider pursuing via PayPal.  Pirated copies are definitely illegal, whether seller realized it or not. 

Yes, ,just purchased it, and I'm sure it was the same one (only one listed).  But I've bought two other levels from ebay and those were both fine, and I really don't think this seller knew it was not genuine (she's offering a refund).  And it is useable, I'm just concerned about resale, since I can't in good conscience resell a pirated copy.

I think from now on I will ask for a picture of the bottom of the box, and a close-up of the manual...I'm guessing pirated versions are going to follow the same pattern, and it will be easy enough to see the differences now that I've seen one IRL.  The pirated box was definitely cheaper in construction and has a visible seam and no bar code on the bottom, whereas the Barton box has no visible seam and a bar code.  The pirated manual has a clear plastic sheet over the cover and white pages.  The genuine ones have no clear plastic sheet and off-white pages.

• Like 1

So if you buy an original version but it's used, can you still get access to the app for that level?

Yes, but it may need to have been purchased from an authorized dealer?

On the FAQs page it indicates that you can still get access if you buy a used copy (I assume only a legitimate copy) but it looks like during the registration process you have to indicate that you have a used copy.  Then they can send you an email with further instructions for how to prove you have a legitimate copy.

Here is what the Barton Reading and Spelling website states for gaining access to the app...

How do you know if I am a legitimate owner of a Barton level?

When you open the app for the first time, you must enter a username and password – which you must obtain from us. You can obtain it by either clicking on this Register Now link, clicking on the Register Now button from within the app, or by calling our office at (408) 559-3652.

Once we verify your ownership of the Barton levels you requested, we will send you an email with your username and password.

• If you purchased your Barton level(s) from us, we can quickly and easily verify your ownership.
  • If you got your Barton levels from a different source, we will send you an email stating what we need in order to verify your ownership.

Once you receive our email with your username and password, start the Barton Tiles App, enter those two items. You only have to enter those two items once.

Then click on the Levels button and buy one or more levels from within the app. Your iTunes account will be charged $ 29.99 per level.

I did not buy my levels from you. Can I still use this app?

Yes. If you got your Barton levels from a different source, we will send you an email stating what we need in order to verify your ownership.