Menu

Happy News Thread :)

MercyA

[NEW HAPPY NEWS DOWN THREAD   :)  :)  :) ]

Just because there are some random things I want to share.  :)

Honest Trailers finally did a trailer for The Princess Bride! Fun!

A restaurant in Montreal gives free food to anyone who needs it. Those crazy Canadians. [Please note that they are also Muslim. And immigrants.]

Some teenagers bought their classmate with special needs new tennis shoes, because his were 2 1/2 sizes too small.

A group of Hutterite women made 588 quilts in one week to be sent to victims of disaster and war. Apparently they do this every year. 

An Indian software engineer cares for 735 abandoned dogs on a farm he made just for them.

ETA: I forgot one! That's what I get for having so many tabs open. An 88-year-old man makes thousands of socks for the homeless.  :thumbup1:

What happy news have you heard recently?

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 31

As I was setting up a grocery delivery Wednesday, a woman I've never met stopped at my house. She gave us two gas gift cards on behalf of an anonymous giver and some groceries: bananas, eggs, milk, bread, and rotisserie chickens. We were out of bread and eggs, and after I finished the delivery order, I found that they couldn't deliver for two days, and I needed eggs for the next day's breakfast.

• Like 19

Best thread ever!!  :hurray:

Aww, thanks! I'm really glad you are enjoying it.  :)

As I was setting up a grocery delivery Wednesday, a woman I've never met stopped at my house. She gave us two gas gift cards on behalf of an anonymous giver and some groceries: bananas, eggs, milk, bread, and rotisserie chickens. We were out of bread and eggs, and after I finished the delivery order, I found that they couldn't deliver for two days, and I needed eggs for the next day's breakfast.

happypamama, that is beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing this story.  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 2

Just a small, happy moment. It's snowing heavily here, and ds 12 and I just went for a ski around the block a few times. It's really fun to see the neighbours' reactions when they see these crazy skiers going down the road.  :laugh:   It's only 29 degrees F, too, which is very pleasant!

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 8

Do we need some happy news today? Yes. Yes, we do.  :)

"Rajesh Sharma, a grocery story owner, has spent the last seven years teaching children under a bridge.

Nearly 200 underprivileged children from neighbouring ghettos now come to the school, which is known as 'Free School, Under the Bridge' and is located in one of the world’s most polluted cities, New Delhi.

There is no school bell, no seats, no tables. There is only one wall, which is concrete and part of the bridge itself. But there are blackboards. There are posters, and a teacher, and willing young students."

https://www.buzzfeed.com/ahmerkhan/this-teacher-is-educating-children-under-a-bridge-in-india-f?utm_term=.rlGl3Ar6Y#.dnPpQLwrY

http://www.theweekendleader.com/Heroism/2108/educator-extraordinaire.html

• Like 14

• 2 weeks later...

"Thomas Mitchell is a mechanic from Clarksville, Tennessee, who fills in as a substitute bus driver...His route occasionally includes bringing a group of special needs children to school.

One morning, Mitchell noticed a mother struggling to bring her daughter, who is in a wheelchair, down the front steps of her porch. He couldn't shake the image from his head. He wanted to do something to help this family out.

So, a few days later, he called the mother and offered to build a customized wheelchair ramp for her daughter — free of charge."

http://www.sunnyskyz.com/good-news/2057/Substitute-Bus-Driver-Builds-Girl-A-Wheelchair-Ramp-After-Seeing-Mom-Struggle

• Like 7

A tattoo shop in Maryland is offering free cover-ups and removals of racist or gang-related tattoos:

"I've made millions of mistakes in my life, and this is by far the worst mistake that I’ve made," said Casey Schaffer. He’s sitting in the chair to mask a racist tattoo he got while in prison.  The 29-year-old has ‘white power’ inked on his forearms...The new tattoo going on top of the racist statement is an anatomical heart, flanked by roses.  The artwork comes with a nearly $700 price tag.  Yet Casey won't pay a penny.  Southside Tattoo is doing the work completely free, no strings attached.

http://www.abc2news.com/news/region/anne-arundel-county/local-tattoo-shop-is-doing-somethiung-incredible-for-a-good-reason

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/elementary-school-gives-honorable-viking-funerals-class-goldfish/

I thought this was cute: Viking send off for a class pet fish that died.

Although I personally would have chosen a Christian funeral for the fish ;) , I love the kids' Viking helmets and the beautifully decorated boats they made! Very sweet!

Confession: I've had a pet fish in my freezer for longer than I'd like to admit, awaiting proper burial.  :o

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm hoping I am doing this correctly, but here is a picture of my 4-month-old puppy, Gretta. She is the total joy of my life right now!

Edited: I can't get the pic to load, it's too big and I'm on my phone. Sorry! But trust me, she is super cute and would definitely make you smile!

Edited by PinkTulip
  • Like 1