Menu

Writing...what next?

My DS-almost-12 is an excellent, natural writer. He writes copiously and easily. We have done IEW, but is tired of doing the same thing over and over again. He has done some of CAPs WR, but finds it slow (I really like it.) 

He is currently using Cover Story, but I'm not happy with the lack of teaching structure - this seems to be what he needs most.

I think he is ready to learn how to write a thesis statement,  persuasive essay, more complex research report, etc. 

Any suggestions as to an easy to use and clear program? I need a lot of hand-holding.

My DD didn't like Cover Story at all. She liked Lively Art of Writing quite a bit and learned a lot. It is dated, which can be entertaining. But, we're still circling around it a bit more, and now we're using Twisting Arms: http://www.prufrock.com/Twisting-Arms-Teaching-Students-How-to-Write-to-Persuade-P800.aspx

(eta: we've already done Thinking in Threes too)

Edited by deerforest
  • Like 1

I think he is ready to learn how to write a thesis statement,  persuasive essay, more complex research report, etc. 

Any suggestions as to an easy to use and clear program? I need a lot of hand-holding.

I have been loving The Lost Tools of Writing this year. Yes to coming up with a thesis, yes to persuasive essays, yes to easy and clear, and a big yes to hand-holding. 

• Like 2

We did iew for the last three years- worked well and the kids write easily. This year we decided to do WWS and I love how they are learning the components of what goes into different types of papers. its much less writing each week than iew, at least so far, so my kids are supplementing with writing across the curriculum. Taking WWS and iew concepts for history, art appreciation, science etc. WWS is written to the kid, but teacher guide has lots of handholding for helping them out.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

Hello what materials should we buy in IEW?  I need to know what materials are there for self learning?

We did iew for the last three years- worked well and the kids write easily. This year we decided to do WWS and I love how they are learning the components of what goes into different types of papers. its much less writing each week than iew, at least so far, so my kids are supplementing with writing across the curriculum. Taking WWS and iew concepts for history, art appreciation, science etc. WWS is written to the kid, but teacher guide has lots of handholding for helping them out.

I have been loving The Lost Tools of Writing this year. Yes to coming up with a thesis, yes to persuasive essays, yes to easy and clear, and a big yes to hand-holding.

No to research paper though. For that look at WWS. However we found LToW to be far superior in terms of teaching to think and reason well, which underlies good writing of any time. I'm a big fan of LToW!

No to research paper though. For that look at WWS. However we found LToW to be far superior in terms of teaching to think and reason well, which underlies good writing of any time. I'm a big fan of LToW!

I'm thinking of doing this next year with mine after we finish SICC-B (IEW).  Do you think we'll be okay using the old version (4th edition)? I don't think I can pay for the brand shiny new one that came out this year.

I'm thinking of doing this next year with mine after we finish SICC-B (IEW). Do you think we'll be okay using the old version (4th edition)? I don't think I can pay for the brand shiny new one that came out this year.

I haven't looked at the 4th edition. From what I understand the implementation info and teacher support materials are significantly improved in the 5th ed. I consider myself a decent writer (English minor with writing emphasis in college), but I still learn a lot about this program through the teacher support videos that helps me as an instructor. There is a very active yahoo group that could probably better answer your questions. LTWMentors I think is the group name.

ETA 5th edition has been out for at least 2 years now, so you may find a used copy. The access code for videos will work even if it is a used copy as well.

Edited by Targhee
  • Like 1

I haven't looked at the 4th edition. From what I understand the implementation info and teacher support materials are significantly improved in the 5th ed. I consider myself a decent writer (English minor with writing emphasis in college), but I still learn a lot about this program through the teacher support videos that helps me as an instructor. There is a very active yahoo group that could probably better answer your questions. LTWMentors I think is the group name.

ETA 5th edition has been out for at least 2 years now, so you may find a used copy. The access code for videos will work even if it is a used copy as well.

Wow. I thought it just came out. I bought the 4th edition because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do and it was cheap. So I will keep an eye out for a used 5th copy.  

Wow. I thought it just came out. I bought the 4th edition because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do and it was cheap. So I will keep an eye out for a used 5th copy.

I highly recommend the yahoo group. There are many using the 4th edition still, and they'll have tips and answers to questions.