Menu

What options are there for science labs now Landry Academy is closed?

I have just been contacted by the mom of one of my online students. She was planning to use Landry Academy for biology and chemistry labs for her son and now does not know what to do. She in East TN and is prepared to travel.

My own kids just did their labs at home (and my brother-in-law is a doctor so he did dissections with them) so I have no idea what her options are. She does not want to enroll him at a community college as they can't be locked into a schedule like that as her son is an actor. So she is looking for an intensive camp like Landry offered.

• Like 1

Our daughter did an anatomy camp with Landry years ago because we didn't know how to do something like that here.

I do not know about other camp he offered or what level of biology or chemistry she is looking for, but we just purchased this kit for AP Chemistry from Quality Science Labs.  We chose this kit since it was very affordable for what it covered.  I have created and submitted a syllabus to the College Board based on Zumdahl and this kit but it came back to me for bureaucratic reasons.  I need to resubmit it this month to get it wrapped up.

I see they also have an advanced biology kit as well.  They have other biology labs, as well.

Sorry if that's not what you are looking for.

• Like 2

:lurk5:

I hate dealing with labs. Just saying, if someone wants to plan some intensives in the southern-greater-Houston area I would happily pay through the nose for them. :) 

Our daughter did an anatomy camp with Landry years ago because we didn't know how to do something like that here.

I do not know about other camp he offered or what level of biology or chemistry she is looking for, but we just purchased this kit for AP Chemistry from Quality Science Labs.  We chose this kit since it was very affordable for what it covered.  I have created and submitted a syllabus to the College Board based on Zumdahl and this kit but it came back to me for bureaucratic reasons.  I need to resubmit it this month to get it wrapped up.

I see they also have an advanced biology kit as well.  They have other biology labs, as well.

Sorry if that's not what you are looking for.

We used kits at home and I suggested that to her but I think she wants him to go somewhere else to do it :) 

• Like 1

Hmm...I can't figure out how to link on my phone but I put "Landry Academy" in the search bar and it comes up. Someone just posted a list of intensives. Looks like the teacher that was doing them for Landry? . Nothing in TN but Atlanta, NC and SC have intensives scheduled.

Edited by teachermom2834
  • Like 1

https://www.facebook.com/groups/LandryAcademy/

BIOLOGY INTENSIVES!!
Here is a list of dates and cities for this summer. Also, I am interviewing for state moms in the cities with a star!
June 12-13 Dallas TX*
June 15-16 San Antonio or Austin TX (?) *
June 19-20 Houston TX
June 22-23 Baton Rouge LA
June 26-27 Jackson MS*
June 29-30 Birmingham AL*
July 3-4 Atlanta GA*
July 6-7 Hickory NC 
July 10-11 Columbia SC*

email if interested! 
higginshomeschool@yahoo.com

I have taught the biology intensive to more than 3000 students in 44 states. I will be taking my expertise out on the road again this summer. Don’t miss this opportunity for your student to get a year’s worth of Biology labs in 2 fun-filled days! Here are a few of the things your child will experience:
DNA necklace Micro-organisms
PTC genetics Blood Glucose Test
Cell Membrane transport Worm dissection
Osmosis/Diffusion Frog Dissection
Leaf Stomata Eye Dissection
Blood Typing Full CAT Dissection
PLUS: Graphs, charts, a formal lab report, and lab apron, funny stories, chocolate and new friends!

• Like 8

:lurk5:

I hate dealing with labs. Just saying, if someone wants to plan some intensives in the southern-greater-Houston area I would happily pay through the nose for them. :)

If you can't find an intensive (although it looks like Houston has one scheduled) Houston Museum of Natural Science offers 4 dissections a year plus several physical science experiences for high schoolers. You can book them through many homeschool groups or at this homeschool mom's business:

http://homeschoolandbeyond.com/Homeschool_And_Beyond/HAB-Welcome%21.html

If you can't find an intensive (although it looks like Houston has one scheduled) Houston Museum of Natural Science offers 4 dissections a year plus several physical science experiences for high schoolers. You can book them through many homeschool groups or at this homeschool mom's business:

http://homeschoolandbeyond.com/Homeschool_And_Beyond/HAB-Welcome%21.html

Oh wow thank you for this! We even have a membership there and I had no clue this existed! The Mummies would've been awesome. We went to that exhibit back in November. It was crazy.

• 3 weeks later...

We are sad to hear about Landry Academy's closing. We spoke with Greg in August about our services and had no idea this was coming.  

Here are some local to Western Colorado, online and summer options available NOW. Most people (esp those in TX in the summer) like coming to the Western Colorado mountains. Online can be anywhere!

A. Full Year Courses: Dr Dan Korow offers 5 different fully developed, 32 week courses: General Science, Physical Science, Biology, Chemistry, and Advanced Biology (Anatomy & Physiology-Human Body). All include Instructional time, Lab, Demonstrations, a few extra projects, Quizzing over class and lab, Dr Dan’s Lab Handouts, which coordinate nicely with Apologia’s Exploring Creation With _____ Series of texts for middle and high schoolers. Other texts may be used equally well. 1. Local classes offered in Grand Junction and Montrose, CO (Western Colorado) and also utilize the various online components! 2. Distance - Online Only offered anywhere you have internet and can be a/Low to No Touch, b/Moderate Touch, c/High Touch in your interaction with us. Any of the 3 levels of interaction may be Single Person, Small Group, Community or a Dr Dan’s Science Community (best value).
Dr Dan’s Science B. Concentrated 3 day Labs: All based in quietly beautiful Cedaredge, CO, offered during summer, usually for 3 days. 1. Dr Dan’s Dissection Days (Biology) or 2. Concentrated Chemistry with Dr Dan.
Dr Dan’s Science C. Fun With Science Day FREE Western Colorado hands-on events in several locations for the whole family to enjoy during summer. At larger venues, room for many families.
Dr Dan’s Science Contact us: www.drdanscience.com, Andrea Korow and Dr DanScience via FB. or [email protected]<script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript">/* */</script>

• 1 month later...

Please share!

Need Labs to fill out your year of science study? 

This is an alternative for those of you who were just as disappointed as us to lose Landry Academy as a homeschool lab resource. 
Williamsburg Classical Academy, located in Williamsburg, VA, has been providing high-quality homeschool classes since 2006. Please join us for on-site hands on lab classes!

Summer Lab Intensive Registration is now open!
http://www.williamsburgclassicalacademy.org/summer-lab-intensives http://www.williamsburgclassicalacademy.org/summer-lab-intensives

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

WCA 2-Day Summer Lab Intensives Registration is now OPEN FOR 2018!! Registration Closes May 16, 2018 ​ 2-Day Lab Intensives: Students will complete a full year of labs for Biology or Chemistry in two intense days. All lab supplies, lab manual, and two days of in-person instruction are included in the fee for the lab intensive. These lab intensives are high school-level labs, and are open to any student able to complete high school level work.

​

What is provided to students: Each student will receive a lab manual, apron, safety glasses, and all the supplies and specimens needed for the labs.

At the end of the intensive, students will have a full lab manual to show for their hard work and will have earned a full year of lab credit. Credit can also be issued from Williamsburg Classical Academy upon request. ​

2018 Dates:  WED & THURS, May 23rd & 24th, 2018

​

Times: 9am - 4pm

​

Cost of each intensive: $250 per camper; campers bring their own snacks, lunch and drinks.  Please remember we are a NUT FREE campus - no nuts or nut products, please.

​http://www.williamsburgclassicalacademy.org/summer-lab-intensives

Edited by Homeschoolnewbe