Menu

AoPS Pre-Algebra/Intro to Algebra Questions

DoubleAMom

My DS will finish up Singapore 5 this year.  I am considering condensing Singapore 6 into a the first semester of next year then beginning AoPS Pre-Algebra.  If you have had experience with AoPS Pre-Algebra, how long did it take you to get through the program?  How about for Intro to Algebra?  I'm wondering if either one would take longer than a normal school year for a fairly mathy kid.

Thanks!!

We started AoPS pre-algebra and ended up switching to Math Mammoth 7 instead.  It was just way too wordy for me to try to teach.  I think we got through 3 chapters in about 6 weeks, before we switched.   We went right from Singapore 5 to Pre-Algebra.  Probably could have even skipped part of SIngapore 5 honestly.

We move through Singapore with no problem finishing each course in a year, with not a ton of time spent on math to get it done. My child was young when they started AoPS and weren't used to that much challenge, so once I saw how frustrated he got, I slowed down with it. It took a little less than 3 semesters to get through pre-algebra. I had thought we'd do the Algebra in a year, but I recently realized that we're pushing ahead too quickly - there are some things that aren't as solid as they need to be - so we're stopping to work from another book for a few weeks to get those concepts settled.

The thing about AoPS is that the problems are often very challenging conceptually, so they may (or may not) take a lot of time depending on how quickly you see what you're supposed to do to solve the problem, but there isn't necessarily a lot of repetition/practice of a new idea before you start using it with harder problems. This can make it hard to see where your student is confused. So, we'll probably take close to 3 semesters for algebra, too, but some of the time will be spent on other practice. My kid sees a lot of concepts easily and doesn't alwasy find the challenge problems to be challenging, but can sometimes assume that they understand something better than they do and then start making mistakes once the problems get complicated and you HAVE to understand all of the different approaches to 'see' the correct solution.

ETA: we do all challenge problems - this is a huge part of why it takes so long. But, my student needs the challenge, or at least the puzzle, to make him think about what to do with the math once he knows it. He's young, so I'd rather move slowly and do it all. That will vary depending on other needs and the age/interest of your student.

Edited by ClemsonDana

How long either text will take depends on how many of the end-of-chapter challenge problems you assign (just a few/some/all), to what extent you assign Alcumus, whether you incorporate the videos or not, etc.

Aside from those individual differences, the Prealgebra text is doable in a 9-month school year.  Intro to Alg is longer but also includes some topics and depth typically included in Alg 2 (and then some).

• Like 1

Intro to Algebra is a very dense and meaty text. How long it takes depends on the student.

My very driven and ambitious DD completed the entire book in one year plus summer. My DS finished 2.5 years after he started (he took one semester for a detour through Counting&Probability which was necessary to wait for more maturity to develop).

It really depends on the kiddo, their background, and where they start in the AoPS program.  Younger DS started with Pre-A, and made it through in just a hair over 1 year (a few weeks into the summer).  He did every challenger, but he had some help available when he got completely stuck.  One advantage he had going in is that he had already played around with theory of arithmetic, and had been through an adult remedial math course the year before.

After Pre-A, the Intro to Algebra course is not nearly as challenging.  He finished that in under a year, and is on pace to do Intermediate Algebra in about 1 year, maybe a tad more.

We do spend a lot of time on math relative to other subjects (likewise with language arts), just because of his interests.

Not with WTMA, but we did it in 2nd and 3rd.

Yeah, but your kids are like +4 z-scores. Sacha is more like a +2. ;) I'm really just wondering if the class is a good fit with the younger crowd.

Edited by SeaConquest

I think mine took over 12 months as a 5th grader. That included a several month long moving/summer break. I made him redo several sections and all of the challenge problems for review.

He's doing the algebra class online now. I expect it will take a good 12 months again. He'll have a break between the two sections and I'll make him do review.

I really like for ability to be strong before moving on. I do that for all of my kids, not just the one that is ahead.

My DS had done SM 5, several MM "blue" worktexts, and the levels 5 & 6 books of Singapore CWP & IP. I started him in AoPS Pre-A but after a few chapters he liked it just ok (as opposed to loving BA, Singapore IP & CWP, and MEP). So I ended up switching him to Elements of Mathematics. He loves EoM so far.

I will probably have him go back and do at least some of the AoPS courses because I think they go into greater depth compared to EoM but most likely not the Pre-A one.

• Like 1

To the question about WTMA: I have a 10 year old son in AoPS prealgebra through WTMA, and it has been wonderful. We use Alcumus for repetition and reinforcement as needed. We are very happy, and plan to continue with Algebra next year.

Thank you! Mine will be 9, turning 10 in January, when he hits PA (if he stays on this trajectory), so it is wonderful to hear that the WTMA is working so well for the younger crowd.

• Like 1