Menu

Rod & Staff English users...when to stop?

My oldest completed only through level 6. She made perfect score on the English section of the ACT, and do r far is excelling in college classes as an English major. According to her, I could stop grammar at about book 4 with my younger kids and they'd still know more grammar than most of their peers. Of course, I'm not actually stopping with her siblings, but it really did make me feel good that what we do is apparently not just "good enough" but "overkill" (her words).

• Like 3

Our oldest is in R&S English 6, and he is far beyond anything I ever remember learning in school.  Since we are planning to study Latin through 12th grade, I am wondering when to stop studying formal English grammar.  How far did you go?

If you're only using the English series for grammar, then you could stop now.

But the *writing* really picks up with the seventh grade text, and the last two books are heavy with writing.

• Like 2

We skipped 7 as we were working about a year behind grade level, and my now 9th grader is working through grade 8. I did go ahead and buy 9/10. They are basically a writing program and you can use either volume in either order. I may use them in part for composition in high school or I may do WTM style rhetoric or a combo of both. I believe my volume of WTM 3rd edition has them doing grammar through high school. But like others mentioned, the grammar teaching goes down and it is more writing, which is typical in high school English courses along with literature.  My 9th grader has done Latin all along, and has at least another year before I will give her the option of switching to another language after Henle II. 

My current 7th grader is in the 5th grade book. I will just keep moving forward with her and see where we get to and works best for her when we get there. 

Both study Latin. As my 7th grader may not go as far in Latin as the 9th grader, I may stick to R&S all the way through, not skipping a grade with her, if she chooses Spanish for high school instead of Latin. 

• Like 1

For us, we will just keep going. I am not set on 9/10. I think writing instruction and grammar review can come from different sources, and I haven't used them yet. 

But I think I would aim to get through vol. 8 with any kid, latin or not, no matter what grade level they are, even if it is just oral review and even if the writing portions are skipped because that is coming from another source. 

I did skip 7 because my dd is very good at grammar, and I noticed that Memoria Press skipped 7 in their curric packs, going straight to 8. So I figured mine would be able to catch up on anything that they build on in 8 from 7. With my next I will probably go straight through. 

• Like 1

We're done at level 8, which we will have spent two years to complete. I may not do it with my next kid. I made the oldest continue the slog because she's a word person with an interest in getting back overseas, so I can see her teaching England as a second language. In that case, I think the more in depth grammar instruction would be useful.

• Like 1

We never made it past 8. My oldest two both got to a point that grammar felt tedious and redundant. They were getting fabulous grades and it started looking like busywork. When this happened I dropped the R&S and we dabbled in Stewart English for awhile.

The next two DC asked for a change and we've done some JAG/AG and Fix It. Grammar is definitely down a notch from what the big two did. I'm okay with that.

My 14yo is what I consider a late bloomer and is doing R&S 7 (grammar only).  She is in Lively Latin BB 2 and it has seriously helped both of us to learn English grammar ahead of Latin.The plan is to continue with R&S 8 spreading it over two years, because she needs the repetition.  I'm not sure she'll make it to high school Latin at this point in her life.  

For practice outside of a format she is familiar with (R&S), we use Daily Grammar Practice.  I so wish I had found it before this year.  We will most likely continue with DGP throughout the remainder of her schooling here at home.

My first two kids completed the entire series, including the two 9/10 levels.  My next two went through level 8.

In studying Latin, it helps to understand the subjunctive case, which I believe is not introduced in R&S until the later books, either level 7 or level 8... possibly not until 9/10?

With Dd, we will finish up 6 and be done. She is studying Latin and has a good grip on all the grammar she's done thus far. Ds may need more, but that is a long way away.

I do like the look of Daily Grammar Practice and will keep that in mind.

Edited by ScoutTN

Child 1 has done them all, Child 2 and 3 are on RS 7.  My oldest has taken the ACT/SAT and scored high in LA part of the test.  She is also taking college level English classes for spring term. Won't know how she has done until after the end in 16 weeks

We finished R&S 7 and then stopped. I'd hoped to do R&S 8, but the workload for my students' classes really ramped up in 8th grade and there just wasn't time.

Through the end of R&S 7 has been a strong enough foundation for my students' to place out of the grammar strand of all the English classes they've taken and to score very well on the English sections of the PSAT.