Menu

Times tales DVD, with an older kid?

My 12 year old struggles with quick recall of multiplication facts.  He knows the idea behind multiplication, but he has to skip count to get to many of the answers and that is really bogging him down.

I was wondering if Times Tales would appear too babyish for a 12 1/2 year old?

thanks.

How does he feel about his struggle? My 13 year old girl and 11 year old boy are dyslexic, and have huge struggles with math facts. My son tends to get upset about having to do remedial things. He doesn't mind his dyslexia therapy sessions because he thinks they are fun, but he can't stand that I have to read so much to him to help him succeed in his outside classes. My 13 year old I guess has accepted her struggles and just recently asked me about trying the Times tales dvd again. (I had used it with my older children when they were much younger and she remembered it even though she was really too young at the time to get anything from it). We have pulled it out and she has really come far in just a couple of weeks. The 11 yo can't stand it and does feel like it is babyish.

I'm not sure that helps you, but thought I'd share two perspectives since this just came up for us a month ago.

Edited by lispy

It's little kidish, but not absurdly babyish. It's mostly really silly.

At this age, he might just make up his own stories though. That might be just as effective.

Times Tales is definitely not a magic bullet. Didn't work for my boys back when we tried it.

• Like 2

I tried all kinds of things, but what worked with my daughter was five minute drills daily. Just print out 100 math fact drill sheets and have him do those every. single. day. We do addition/subtraction/multiplication/division. She records her scores and is proud her progress. 

• Like 1

Have you worked much on mental math strategies? By thinking about how the numbers relate to each other, your son could quickly calculate any math fact he forgets. More reliable than memorization alone, and not babyish at all. Mental math strategies build algebraic thinking, making them a great foundation for future math topics.

Details in my blog post series: How to Conquer the Times Table.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

This book, Memorize in Minutes: The Times Tables by Alan Walker (I like this much better than Times Tales). Or just make up your own rhymes or stories for the times tables. One that we found online that we really like is this one, 6 and 8 went on a date, they didn't get back until they were 48. Visualize the times tables with your child first, with arrays or blocks, so he understands what it means first. Yes, I do think that Times Tales would be too babyish for a child that age.