Menu

Anyone follow LCC?

mo2

I am considering following this program. We are entering our 2nd year hsing and I recently discovered this book. What are your thoughts on this, or how is it working out for your? Can you describe what you do in a typical day and what materials you might use?

TIA

I'm sure other folks will chime in, but if you visit the links in my signature below, you'll find lots of information. The Running River link is to my family's blog, and I have detailed weekly reports about our first grader's lessons. The LCC site has a bunch of "day in the life" articles from LCC users; just click on the "articles" link to find them. The LatinClassicalEd list is probably the best place to "meet and mingle" with LCC families. Not everyone on the list uses LCC specifically, but most are doing some form of Latin-centered education and are great about answering questions. HTH!

-Drew

I just read this too - and it makes so much sense to me - I'll be curious to read the answers - I'd love to know how people jump in if they are in the middle, say, grade 3. It'll be easy to start my first grader :)

Also, did you know that there will be a revised edition of the book out this summer? I'm really looking forward to it - I enjoy Mr. Campbell's writing style - PLUS - he's understanding about the fact that not everyone comes from the same place, faith-wise...

My plan is to use LCC for everything but science, and use WTM guidelines for that. I'm sure we'll keep using SOTW as well, even if it's just as a supplement.

There's also a Yahoo group (latinclassicaled) that is very informative and low key -

Anyway, I know this doesn't answer your question, but I hope you now you're not alone :)

Peso

I'm using this with my youngers (oldest lives with his mom). A typical day has DS7 starting by pulling out his copywork binder and working on that independently. With the copybook, he is either copying, looking up meanings of new words from the copybook, or drawing an image to represent the statement he copied. Meanwhile I review the sounds of phonograms with DS4. When DS4 is done with phonics drilling, I'll remind him how to form the letters of the phonograms he's currently learning, then I'll set him loose with a page of letters to copy. At that point I switch to DS7, and set out the Latin he's going to do for the day, typically 2-4 pages in Lively Latin. I'll make sure he understands the instructions and/or do some of the writing for DS7 while DS4 finishes writing and gets a break. When DS7 doesn't need me anymore, I snag DS4 for math, normally two pages in Singapore Earlybird. When he's done with Latin, DS7 takes a break, while I read aloud to DS4 for his "studies" areas. Then, DS4 is turned loose for the day, while DS7 and I hit his math books, Singapore. We'll go over a lesson together, then he does the exercises independently. After he's done with math we do the studies areas for him, typically reading a chapter of whichever resource we've chosen and making a related notebook page or lapbook fold. After that, we're all free for the day. Although, I do dictate DS7's "free" reading by assigning four books which he must read before the end of each month in order to earn his Pizza Hut Book-It certificate for a free pizza. I control DS4's bedtime read-aloud choices by only allowing him to choose from a certain shelf pre-filled with folk and fairy tales.

I have a topic for each week for each study area, but not a specific book I'm using. We pull from WinterPromise, Hands of a Child, The Baldwin Project and other resources to cover the topics.

My kids are happier. They can see the relevance of what we're doing. Knowing that I've pared their education down to the essentials makes them more willing and able to give Latin (or phonics) and math their all. They have space for hobbies, classes, art projects AND time to just play or daydream.

I had been homeschooling for a few years before I read LCC. It really made a lot of sense for me. I have been working toward streamlining my schooling using LCC principles and some of the materials.

This is how it works in our home right now.

Daily

Math

Latin

Reading

Memorization

Once a Week

History

Science - soon

Literature

Geography

My dd is thriving in this environment. I am putting the most time and effort into the things that are the most important. I am using several of the things that were recommended in the book and have been happy. I use other material and do lots of lesson planning on my own still, but the LCC principles have worked for us.

Daily lessons

9-10 Latin (LC I + II w/Ludere Latine and DVDs, and Famous Men of Rome)

10-11 Math (R&S 4 + 6)

11-12 Writing (WT 1 + 2, copywork for 4th, written narrations)

Weekly Lessons 1-3

Mon History (SOTW + H.O)

Tue Literature (D'Aulaires Greek myths and the Children's Homer so far)

Wed Bible (R&S 5)

Thurs: Science (informal life science w/ various books, United Streaming and HOAC research packs)

Fri: unfinished work day because I work Fri, Sat, Sun

Life has been so much easier for us since we started this schedule. Everything gets done and we don't have to change directions so many times a day.

Wendy:)

I am currently LCCing with my 8 year old (3rd grade) and moving my 7th grader more in that direction as well. Here's what I do with my 3rd grader.

Math - Singapore and Shiller - daily

Latin - Lively Latin - daily. This also includes a Famous Men of Rome study

English Studies - CW Poetry 3x a week, D'Aulaires Greek Myths with MP book 2x a week.

Memory work - daily

Then each day we have a "block schedule" of sorts. Each day we do one of the below:

VP OTAE (Classical Studies)

VP Bible (Christian Studies)

Science - currently RS4K Biology

Geography - currently The Geography Book

American history - (Modern Studies) - about to start Time Traveler Colonial

We actually do Science 2x a week - once as a subject and then another day we do an experiment. Usually the day we do Bible because it's the shortest subject.

I also require 30 minutes of independent reading from a pile of books of my choice. The books relate in some way to our studies - history, science etc or other "good" books.

Does that help?

Heather

We lean LCC. Dds 10 and almost-9 do the following daily:

Singapore Math

Henle Latin

Classical Writing (finishing Aesop B)

Elementary Greek 2

Lots of reading

(We hope to add First Start French in February.)

Each afternoon, we do one or a combination of the following:

SOTW 3

Geography

MP Christian Studies 2

Classical Studies (FMOR)

Science/Nature Study

Art (Artistic Pursuits)

We love learning this way. :)

Snapshot of our verson of LCC

morning routine - I have a 1st and 3rd grader - this is the 3rd grader's schedule, my 1st grader concentrates on Ray's arithmetic, ETC for phonics, and joins in for recitation, Bible, and most readings

prayers, readings from lives of the saints, golden Children's Bible readings

recitation - includes Latin forms, poems, Bible verses, Spanish, usually a folk song, pledge of allegiance, science memory lists, history memory lists

Latin - Lively Latin (just switched to this a few weeks ago and loving it!) only takes about 15-20 minutes unless he is illustrating a history story

Math - Rays Arithmetic with occasional Singapore supplements - this takes about 30 minutes

World Studies (this is my combination modern studies and geography) we are reading Discovery of New Worlds and focusing on Middle Ages, which will lead us into studying explorers and colonization this spring

Also we are doing the Holling books - Paddle to the Sea and Seabird

These are not done every day, maybe 2x per week for 30 min - 1hr if we are doing a project

English studies - grammar is covered in latin, but we have been having fun using the Serendipity lesson plans and the Ruth Heller Lively Language Lessons books. We are trying to do CW Aesop, but I keep getting bogged down in it - my fault not his! And we do SWR spelling lists - daily 30 minutes

Science - 2 times/wk - Apologia Astronomy - nature studies when ever we want

Reading Alouds - a greek myth from Child's Book of Myths, an Aesop's Fable (Milo Winter version), 50 Famous Stories, Hans Christian Anderson fairy tales

These are rotated through the week

Silent Readings - Wonderbook, Tanglewood Tales, Farmer Boy, Wind in the Willows

We also add in picture study CM style on Wednesdays, and composer study every day at lunch (listen to a certain piece every day for 1-2 weeks as we prepare for lunch)

Poetry is done at tea time - afternoon break for snacks

Both take piano lessons

It has been a great year so far for us, and I am really enjoying a more streamlined approach with Latin as the non-negotiable subject. Anne Marie