Menu

Writing with Skill OR CAP Writing & Rhetoric

my son used W&R in 5th (Narrative, book 2).  He hated it.  I thought it would be fun, but he really needed more direct instruction. 

He used WWS in 6th.  For him, this worked much better because it was very broken down and specific. 

Both taught Narrative (well, we were using the narrative book of W&R!).

You can look at generous samples of both online, so I'd really take a good look and see what you think your child would respond to more.  Maybe try a practice week with each?

• Like 1

I have no experience with Writing & Rhetoric, but my 10 year old loves WWS.  She is right next to me right now, so I asked what she likes about it and she says it explains things well and teaches everything step-by-step.  She really enjoys the story excerpts too and is always asking if we can get the whole book.  It does a good job covering narration and her skills have increased dramatically.  I also like that it provides a lot of guidance and practice about creating outlines.  She now routinely uses outlines to help her take notes in other classes.

Honestly, I thought she’d hate the book when it first arrived because there was a lot of reading in the first few weeks.  She can be a bit scatterbrained and if something doesn’t capture her attention immediately she’ll spend the day gazing out the window.  But she really looks forward to her WWS lessons.

• Like 1

We are halfway through book 2 of WWS, and now that I am starting to see the bigger picture, I am liking this program more and more. I am so glad we made a switch from W&R, which we much preferred in early grades to WWE. I think Fable and Narrative books were fabulous in third and fourth grades, and if I had a third kid, I would use them again. However, somewhere in upper books I began to get lost on what was probable or believable or .... basically I wanted something else and I must say WWS has been just as perfect for us in grades 5 and 6 as W&R had been earlier. We are committed to finishing all three levels, and I expect my kids will have all the necessary skills to forge ahead in high school writing. So I say go for WWS and you won't regret it.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

My answer would depend on the individual child with those two options. My natural writer would loathe WWS but she probably would have thrived in W&R. (She outgrew their publication schedule.) The one just above her would have needed the more direct teaching of WWS, and W&R may have frustrated him. The latter was/is a stereotypical STEM kid who saw no reason for 5 paragraphs if he could sum it up in 5 syllables.