Menu

Logic Safari

Does anyone use these? I just saw them when looking for logic curriculum and they look quite cheery and bright plus not overly expensive. Shipping is a killer to Aus and while I like the idea of following well trained mind I need to keep costs down a bit. Wondering if these books are an easy way to tackle a bit of logic without investing too much time or money for next year.

I would be hesitant to do it, just because they're very thin - there's not that many in each volume. I actually like them a lot - I think they're well constructed, but as Rosie pointed out, they are just logic grid puzzles. I'm sure you can find something less expensive and even if they're slightly inferior, the cost would more than make up for it...

You might like Primarily Logic from Prufrock Press. The TOC shows that there are 42 lessons, but they are quite light, and the book is thin.

You could schedule in about 5 minutes a week of PL to make it last a school year, IMO.

I wouldn't do Primarily Logic for a middle schooler. If you're only going to pay one shipping charge, then it *might* be worth it to get a bunch of Prufrock stuff all at once. I really, really like the Logic Countdown series for middle school (if you search up, Lori D has a couple of posts that detail it). It's also thin, but it's varied. There are three books. That and Logic Safari - to me - are plenty for middle school logic and could be done stretched out over a couple of years (or all at once... did I mention the books are thin?). And Prufrock has some other cool things.

IF you thought it was what you wanted and IF you could get it all at once and pay one shipping charge, then it might be worth it.

Critical Thinking Company also makes some good things for logic. They weren't our favorites, but some of them are available as pdfs, I think, which could be better for you.

• Like 1

Oh, I just noticed you said for a hands on kid... I'd be inclined to do more logic games for a kid who needs more hands on stuff. Things like Rush Hour and Tanagrams and Pentaminos and Mastermind and so forth. I'm not sure what's easily available there, but just generally logic solo games. And Mastermind, which is great for logic.