Menu

DC - Places to stay

Arctic Bunny

Most of the city hotels will have steep parking fees, so it's probably cheaper to use metro and Uber. It's hard to make any recommendations without knowing more specifically where you want to be. It's been a long time since I stayed closer in than around DCA. I do have a fave hotel there, very clean, very nice staff, good breakfast included. Renaissance Arlington Capital View. I stayed recently for $99 on club level. I'm guessing you want to be closer in though, and I just haven't stayed closer in for 15 years, so I don't have a recommendation

Have you considered Airbnb as well? Having an apartment with kitchen and living space can be great when traveling with the family.

• Like 1

I've been looking at airbnb - actually that's where I started, but the ones in the same price range as hotels are in pretty sketchy neighbourhoods. They jump up really quickly to $250/night, and there are lots of hotels less than that, and they include breakfast.

I don't feel the need to be right near the Mall. I think a metro ride is perfectly reasonable. I have read anything to suggest it's not safe? I just don't have a clear idea of how far out to be looking, and what areas. :)

Part of the problem is that prices in DC hotels move around A LOT. If you try to show up at a particular hotel when something (there are many "somethings" in and around D.C.) going on, then the price can easily double. And it is nearly impossible to know what might cause a hotel to get loaded on any particular weekend (or week).

We would be happy to put up a homeschooling family for a visit to D.C., but we are not overly close. The only way that could work would be if you wanted to see sites AROUND D.C., rather than IN DC.

Do you have exact dates for your visit? If so, then you might want to shop around with them. Different hotels will certainly have different loadings.

Also, you might consider looking into Groupon and seeing if there are deals available. You can sometimes get a great deal in a resort hotel that way.

Finally, you might find a good deal a little farther out, but near the Metro station. You might find some deals outside the beltway that could work.

When we go to D.C., we stay with good friends who graciously open their home to our family. It has always been a real blessing to us.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Feel free to ask about specific neighborhoods. There have been a lot of air b&b's cropping up around me. I think it's fine here. Things that you're thinking about "sketchy" may not be at all. And, of course, your specific comfort level may be different... but you're visiting a city.

If you stay in the burbs (and that usually is the best choice for hotels) then be sure you're not way, way out. Sometimes they say "near Metro" but it's near something on the Silver Line or the very edges of the Orange Line or the Red Line. That's a very long commute in and out of the city. But things along the Orange Line closer in in Arlington can be perfect. Certainly the whole Crystal City/Pentagon City hotel area is all close in and fine.

• Like 1

I've always felt safe on metro. I hate trying to drive in DC and parking is such a pain. I'd definitely find a place near metro (some hotels will have shuttles to metro). They are currently doing some major work on the tracks (long overdue), so check the website and avoid staying where those service disruptions will cause delays. If you are flying into DCA, I'd probably just stay Crystal City/Arlington at a place with an airport shuttle and metro access/shuttle. Uber can fill in where needed. Have I mentioned I hate driving in DC?

ETA: So "mentioned" auto corrected to "Entirely Ned." It feels like the iPad is sending me coded messages.

Edited by RioSamba
  • Like 1

We stayed at the Homewood Suites in Alexandria.  All of the rooms were suites with full kitchens and separate bedrooms, and the nightly rate included breakfast every day AND a light dinner on weeknights (not weekends).   Dinner wasn't fancy, but it helped the budget tremendously.    They had a free shuttle that ran every 30 minutes to and from the King Street Metro station (about a 10 minute drive).   We didn't have a car with us, but I don't think they charged a fee for parking at the hotel.    We stayed there in 2013, so it's been a few years, but if we ever go back, I'd look there first.    My second choice would be another hotel in Alexandria within walking distance to the Metro (of which there were plenty).   Downtown Alexandria had a trolley and lots of shopping, dining options, and a nice waterfront area.

• Like 1

Feel free to ask about specific neighborhoods. There have been a lot of air b&b's cropping up around me. I think it's fine here. Things that you're thinking about "sketchy" may not be at all. And, of course, your specific comfort level may be different... but you're visiting a city.

If you stay in the burbs (and that usually is the best choice for hotels) then be sure you're not way, way out. Sometimes they say "near Metro" but it's near something on the Silver Line or the very edges of the Orange Line or the Red Line. That's a very long commute in and out of the city. But things along the Orange Line closer in in Arlington can be perfect. Certainly the whole Crystal City/Pentagon City hotel area is all close in and fine.

Which burbs are a good, manageable distance? I'm seeing neighbourhoods on Priceline/Trip Advisor/Airbnb, but not sure where to draw the line.

ETA: Congress Heights and (I think) Buena Vista were my questionable neighbourhoods.

Edited by arctic_bunny

Part of the problem is that prices in DC hotels move around A LOT. If you try to show up at a particular hotel when something (there are many "somethings" in and around D.C.) going on, then the price can easily double. And it is nearly impossible to know what might cause a hotel to get loaded on any particular weekend (or week).

We would be happy to put up a homeschooling family for a visit to D.C., but we are not overly close. The only way that could work would be if you wanted to see sites AROUND D.C., rather than IN DC.

Do you have exact dates for your visit? If so, then you might want to shop around with them. Different hotels will certainly have different loadings.

Also, you might consider looking into Groupon and seeing if there are deals available. You can sometimes get a great deal in a resort hotel that way.

Finally, you might find a good deal a little farther out, but near the Metro station. You might find some deals outside the beltway that could work.

When we go to D.C., we stay with good friends who graciously open their home to our family. It has always been a real blessing to us.

Good luck!

We are planning on April 15-22. How far outside the beltway is manageable? Which directions? Thank you!

We spent 9 days in DC in the spring and stayed in a wonderful place in Capitol Hill. We walked everywhere, never took the metro. It was all so convenient! And very safe. We returned many nights after dark and never felt unsafe. Capitol Hill is a beautiful area. I found the rental on VRBO. The owners were fantastic!

https://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p606822vb

Which burbs are a good, manageable distance? I'm seeing neighbourhoods on Priceline/Trip Advisor/Airbnb, but not sure where to draw the line.

ETA: Congress Heights and (I think) Buena Vista were my questionable neighbourhoods.

Hmm... yeah... Congress Heights has been moving on up, so maybe... it used to be pretty bad over there and it's better, but I'm not in that corner of DC often enough to say if it's better better, you know? I wouldn't do Buena Vista, but I don't know that area that well. Really, an air b&b in any NW neighborhood - even the ones that were sketchy in the past - should be fine. And much of NE has gotten pretty decent as well. I mean, it's all still city. You would see urban issues around - I mean, even in super chic Georgetown, you'd see some urban issues - homelessness, car break ins aren't uncommon, etc. It just depends on what you're comfortable with.

In terms of the suburbs, I personally wouldn't go farther out than Arlington or Alexandria city on the Virginia side or Bethesda or Chevy Chase or Silver Spring (the close in part only) or Takoma Park on the Maryland side. But if you're going to have your car, then you could look at air b&b's in those suburbs too. Like, I've known people who got an air b&b in Takoma Park. It's not that somewhere like Falls Church is so far away... but when you're here primarily to be here and do DC things, then having an hourlong trip getting back and forth can be a pain. Of course, there's always going to be travel time, but you don't want to stay somewhere where the travel time feels onerous. And generally it's nice to be somewhere more urban anyway so you can have food and shops around as well. When you're going way out, there's less of that.

I'd probably look in northern VA or southern MD if it's cheaper, on a subway line, instead of DC proper.

What are you calling southern MD? I think of Calvert, St. Mary's and Charles counties when I think southern MD. Can't imagine staying in any of those when visiting DC.

Hmm... yeah... Congress Heights has been moving on up, so maybe... it used to be pretty bad over there and it's better, but I'm not in that corner of DC often enough to say if it's better better, you know? I wouldn't do Buena Vista, but I don't know that area that well. Really, an air b&b in any NW neighborhood - even the ones that were sketchy in the past - should be fine. And much of NE has gotten pretty decent as well. I mean, it's all still city. You would see urban issues around - I mean, even in super chic Georgetown, you'd see some urban issues - homelessness, car break ins aren't uncommon, etc. It just depends on what you're comfortable with.

In terms of the suburbs, I personally wouldn't go farther out than Arlington or Alexandria city on the Virginia side or Bethesda or Chevy Chase or Silver Spring (the close in part only) or Takoma Park on the Maryland side. But if you're going to have your car, then you could look at air b&b's in those suburbs too. Like, I've known people who got an air b&b in Takoma Park. It's not that somewhere like Falls Church is so far away... but when you're here primarily to be here and do DC things, then having an hourlong trip getting back and forth can be a pain. Of course, there's always going to be travel time, but you don't want to stay somewhere where the travel time feels onerous. And generally it's nice to be somewhere more urban anyway so you can have food and shops around as well. When you're going way out, there's less of that.

I'd be very sure about metro lines before I took a place in NW.  There are plenty of neighborhoods in NW that would be safe and comfortable, but are a hike from the metro (Glover Park, 16th St. Heights, Brightwood etc . . . ).

Where are you thinking?

So, as a DC native, I've never had a need to stay in a hotel in DC, so I know nothing about prices.

If I was looking for either a hotel or an air B and B place, and I was planning on using metro, I'd want to be close to the station.  What is "walkable" after sitting at a desk all day, isn't going to feel so "walkable" at the end of a long day of monuments and museums.  Because of that, I wouldn't want Georgetown or Glover Park, unless I had a generous uber budget.  

I'd probably look around the following metro stations: Silver Spring, Takoma, Brookland, for somewhat affordable residential areas with walkable areas close to the metro, or U Street or Shaw if you want more of an urban feel.  I'd also be happy around Eastern Market and Capitol South, and the red line between Dupont and Bethesda but I suspect they'd not be affordable.  

If the plan is to drive to a metro and park, then you're going to want to be over the line in MD or VA where there is parking at the metro.  I think the VA suggestions here are probably good ones.  The MD suburbs with parking at metro are further from the city center, which would make for a long commute, except for Silver Spring and West Hyattsville, which could be options.  

So, as a DC native, I've never had a need to stay in a hotel in DC, so I know nothing about prices.

If I was looking for either a hotel or an air B and B place, and I was planning on using metro, I'd want to be close to the station. What is "walkable" after sitting at a desk all day, isn't going to feel so "walkable" at the end of a long day of monuments and museums. Because of that, I wouldn't want Georgetown or Glover Park, unless I had a generous uber budget.

I'd probably look around the following metro stations: Silver Spring, Takoma, Brookland, for somewhat affordable residential areas with walkable areas close to the metro, or U Street or Shaw if you want more of an urban feel. I'd also be happy around Eastern Market and Capitol South, and the red line between Dupont and Bethesda but I suspect they'd not be affordable.

If the plan is to drive to a metro and park, then you're going to want to be over the line in MD or VA where there is parking at the metro. I think the VA suggestions here are probably good ones. The MD suburbs with parking at metro are further from the city center, which would make for a long commute, except for Silver Spring and West Hyattsville, which could be options.

Thank you! I appreciate that info!