Menu

X - post Landry Academy Financial Problems?

I posted this in the Chat Board as well:

Hello!

I'm hoping someone has some answers about what is going on at Landry Academy. 

My boys are enrolled in several classes currently and we received a disturbing letter from their English teacher saying that she is stepping down immediately. She claims that Landry quit paying teachers in November and their December paycheck was only 20% of what it should have been. She also mentioned that registration is closed.

I am really freaking out! I currently have 70 generic semesters and have spent thousands of $s on future classes!

Anyone know anything???

Elise in NC

• Like 2

I'm going to be worried as well. My daughter is enrolled in a class for the spring and I have generics too.

Has anyone contacted someone at Landry?

I sent a message to a teacher DD has had for two semesters and is supposed to have again but I have not gotten a response yet.  Since it is the Holidays I don't know when I might.

• Like 2

Yep something is up which is why I only bought 100.0 worth of credits. That whole credit system was an obvious sign that something was wrong. Why else would they be so keen so sell their future product at below market prices?

My son received an Email from his German teacher that she is also stepping down immediately although she didn't state why. :(

Too bad, my son loves his German teacher and German isn't an easy class to find.

• Like 1

I only bought 100.00 worth of credits.  My more immediate concern is for my son's German class.  He is in 9th grade and does NOT want to re-start with another foreign language but the only reason I consented to German was because of Landry!  So I feel very concerned now.  What will I do?

But I REALLY feel for SpeedMom.

• Like 1

I only bought 100.00 worth of credits.  My more immediate concern is for my son's German class.  He is in 9th grade and does NOT want to re-start with another foreign language but the only reason I consented to German was because of Landry!  So I feel very concerned now.  What will I do?

But I REALLY feel for SpeedMom.

I have a 9th grade boy in German as well.  As far as I know our teacher isn't leaving.  She spoke about spring in her email this week.  However, I spent the day looking for German classes.  The textbook actually offers the videos that align with the book online for free.  I already bought the answers to the workbook.  And the text one is available used as well if we needed it.  I hate to spend so much on another language class elsewhere.  

I have $1000 in credits....just bought a bunch this fall.  Really frustrated by the lack of info right now...

• Like 2

Just a thought - a possible solution would be for several members of a teacher-less class to contract with the departed teacher to do a class for them privately.  Obviously there would be technical logistics to work out, not to mention payment, but if the teacher and curricula are a good fit for the student, such an arrangement could be a solution.  (Obviously, the money part is tricky, but if additional money is to be spent to replace the class, it would at least be going into the pocket of a teacher who is known to be a good fit, who has already invested a lot in the success of the student.)  

Another thought would be that for some classes an arrangement could perhaps be made for the students and teacher to move under the umbrella of another provider, which would help with the tech issues.  Again, there are obvious concerns with this solution, not the least of which are financial, but if it keeps the class running as smoothly as possible, it's worth considering.  

• Like 9

Just a thought - a possible solution would be for several members of a teacher-less class to contract with the departed teacher to do a class for them privately.  Obviously there would be technical logistics to work out, not to mention payment, but if the teacher and curricula are a good fit for the student, such an arrangement could be a solution.  (Obviously, the money part is tricky, but if additional money is to be spent to replace the class, it would at least be going into the pocket of a teacher who is known to be a good fit, who has already invested a lot in the success of the student.)  

Another thought would be that for some classes an arrangement could perhaps be made for the students and teacher to move under the umbrella of another provider, which would help with the tech issues.  Again, there are obvious concerns with this solution, not the least of which are financial, but if it keeps the class running as smoothly as possible, it's worth considering.  

I was wondering if they have saved recordings from previous years.  While not as helpful as a live teacher would be, it's something that could still be useable to students.

• Like 7

I have a 9th grade boy in German as well.  As far as I know our teacher isn't leaving.  She spoke about spring in her email this week.  However, I spent the day looking for German classes.  The textbook actually offers the videos that align with the book online for free.  I already bought the answers to the workbook.  And the text one is available used as well if we needed it.  I hate to spend so much on another language class elsewhere.  

I have $1000 in credits....just bought a bunch this fall.  Really frustrated by the lack of info right now...

I am also extremely frustrated by the lack of info right now as well. 

• Like 2

I'm really upset, too.  More because of the lack of communication from Mr. Landry. 

We heard from a few teachers, who notified us clearly that they would not be returning.  I contacted a few others to find out whether they would be leaving or staying.  Most are staying and will be in class in January.

I'm doing my best not to freak out.

I emailed Mr. Landry, and his response was dismissive...just a quick note saying that he was expecting to begin classes on time in January.  I was disappointed by that.

I know this sounds trite...but I'm just praying for him.  He seems like a guy whose sole motivation is serving homeschool families and helping us carry the burden.  He doesn't seem like a crook.  I hope I'm right, and he isn't crooked.  Our teachers have all be exceptional.

We have 60 generic semesters.  I'm so bummed. 

• Like 5

I have a 9th grade boy in German as well. As far as I know our teacher isn't leaving. She spoke about spring in her email this week. However, I spent the day looking for German classes. The textbook actually offers the videos that align with the book online for free. I already bought the answers to the workbook. And the text one is available used as well if we needed it. I hate to spend so much on another language class elsewhere.

I have $1000 in credits....just bought a bunch this fall. Really frustrated by the lack of info right now...

Thanks for this info!

Mrs Keeter, our teacher, emailed today that she will

Not be continuing but she gave other vague reasons.

• Like 1

I agree.  I do wish something would be released, though.  I have gotten no response to the messages I have sent to teachers and Landry in general.  

{And they definitely shut down registration for spring classes waaaaaay earlier than posted.}

ETA: The above may be incorrect.  

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 2

And they definitely shut down registration for spring classes waaaaaay earlier than posted.

When did you expect them to close registration?  I found an email dated Nov. 15 saying registration was closing.  That doesn't seem unreasonable, and it seems like it stayed open quite a bit longer than that.

• Like 2

When did you expect them to close registration?  I found an email dated Nov. 15 saying registration was closing.  That doesn't seem unreasonable, and it seems like it stayed open quite a bit longer than that.

This year, just recently, they had posted somewhere on the website that registration for spring would close Jan. 2 (unless the class filled up obviously).  It still said that on the website the day I signed DD up for a class at the very beginning of this week.  I thought that was later than last year but I couldn't remember for certain.  I was thinking that would help people who might need to add a class at the last minute.  Then when I checked again the next day all the classes were closed, but there wasn't a notice warning that it was the last day to register for Spring classes like they have done in the past.  

• Like 1

I've always thought their financial model was weird. (I think I even posted about that on here within the last year.) HOWEVER, they've been around for years, so I figured they are / were solid.

I prepaid for some trips and have lots of generics banked up. Hoping they get things straightened out & continue.

I, too, have a kid taking a year long class (Chemistry) that she is enjoying ( :w00t: ). I was worried about them publishing their own science books, because we LIKE what they are using now.

I was contemplating a semester-long class for dd#3 and adding a language for dd#1 with Landry next year. We'll see what happens! DD's Chem teacher is fantastic.

• Like 4

This year, just recently, they had posted somewhere on the website that registration for spring would close Jan. 2 (unless the class filled up obviously).  It still said that on the website the day I signed DD up for a class at the very beginning of this week.  I thought that was later than last year but I couldn't remember for certain.  I was thinking that would help people who might need to add a class at the last minute.  Then when I checked again the next day all the classes were closed, but there wasn't a notice warning that it was the last day to register for Spring classes like they have done in the past.  

I received emails leading up to and on the day that they closed spring registration.  I added a class that last day based on those emails.  I did not see any notice on the website.

:iagree:  about the textbooks RootAnn.

Edited by melmichigan
  • Like 1

I've always thought their financial model was weird. (I think I even posted about that on here within the last year.) HOWEVER, they've been around for years, so I figured they are / were solid.

I prepaid for some trips and have lots of generics banked up. Hoping they get things straightened out & continue.

I, too, have a kid taking a year long class (Chemistry) that she is enjoying ( :w00t: ). I was worried about them publishing their own science books, because we LIKE what they are using now.

I was contemplating a semester-long class for dd#3 and adding a language for dd#1 with Landry next year. We'll see what happens! DD's Chem teacher is fantastic.

Do you mind saying which Chem teacher?  You can PM if you prefer.  I am looking further down the road if this all straightens out...

• Like 1

Wow, interesting.  I didn't get a single ONE.  And I usually get inundated. 

I rarely read them, but these actually had spring classes in the title. :)  It's weird that you didn't get them.  I will correct my previous statement, the last email was titled Tomorrow: Spring Classes Deadline, so it was the day before, not the day of.

Edited by melmichigan
  • Like 1

I rarely read them, but these actually had spring classes in the title. :) It's weird that you didn't get them. I will correct my previous statement, the last email was titled Tomorrow: Spring Classes Deadline, so it was the day before, not the day of.

I just rechecked emails. I never got one. But I did go ahead and alter my original post regarding this.

• Like 2

Do you mind saying which Chem teacher?  You can PM if you prefer.  I am looking further down the road if this all straightens out...

She has Mrs. Childress. *However,* as I noted in my previous post, Landry has announced they are publishing their own science books. If they switch over to their own books, I can't speak to the quality of the classes. DD's Chem class uses Spectrum Chemistry by Dobbins with a lab kit supplied by Landry as part of the class fee. DD#2 will likely use the same Spectrum book with the Spectrum labs at home since she has vowed never to take another online class again. However, I would have liked to use the Landry Chem with my later kids.

• Like 2

My husband and I are panicking as well. My girls are each taking 5 year-long classes with Landry. We already know that my daughter's English teacher has resigned saying her pay stopped in November and then resumed at 20% of her usual salary. She is resuming her class on a website that she started, but we've already paid for Landry.

It's not just the money that we'd be out, but I have two high school students halfway through their year that I will have to scramble in the next 1-2 weeks to figure out how to finish out their school year. This is stressful.

I'm really put out at the lack of communication from Greg and other employees. Even the teacher says she was not communicated with about the cessation of her pay. This is a Christian-based organization and a SCHOOL! To leave us all totally in the dark is unacceptable. Our children's futures are literally on the line, especially for those of us with high school students. Their credits and grades matter for graduation and college.

I pray they figure something out quickly. This is making for a stressful break for all of us.

• Like 4

Maybe they can apply for a loan or something, who knows.

But in reality- even if they apply for a loan and even if they can figure out how to stay afloat, where are they going to find qualified teachers, during Christmas break, in one week, for 40 courses, willing to work for a school That can't guarantee their pay?

Maybe they can get a loan huge enough to pre-pay all these teachers' salaries, and beg them to come back. That's what I'm praying for.

But who of us will ever trust Landry again after this. ?

• Like 1

My husband and I are panicking as well. My girls are each taking 5 year-long classes with Landry. We already know that my daughter's English teacher has resigned saying her pay stopped in November and then resumed at 20% of her usual salary. She is resuming her class on a website that she started, but we've already paid for Landry.

It's not just the money that we'd be out, but I have two high school students halfway through their year that I will have to scramble in the next 1-2 weeks to figure out how to finish out their school year. This is stressful.

I'm really put out at the lack of communication from Greg and other employees. Even the teacher says she was not communicated with about the cessation of her pay. This is a Christian-based organization and a SCHOOL! To leave us all totally in the dark is unacceptable. Our children's futures are literally on the line, especially for those of us with high school students. Their credits and grades matter for graduation and college.

I pray they figure something out quickly. This is making for a stressful break for all of us.

My DH was employed by a small church once. The paycheck was small, but okay. But then the paychecks started to be late by a few days. Then we would get the late paycheck, and it would be less than the agreed pay. Finally, we found out that the treasurer had been supplementing the paycheck himself for months already because the church had money problems. Well, okay, thank you, BUT WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY ANYTHING!!!! I guess he was embarrassed. I guess he was hoping that something would happen to turn the finances around. Something. But by the time we figured it out, it was too late to come to a joint solution and DH had to leave to find other employment. smh.

I don't know, with Christian organizations I see a lot of "well, let's all pray really hard and ask for a miracle." Well fine, but while we're at it maybe we should use our miraculous God-given brains to think of something?

• Like 7

Sounds like you received the same email we did. My boys are in 5 year-long Landry classes as well. I'm trying not to panic and enjoy Christmas but I didn't sleep last night worrying about it all.

Praying this all works out for everyone involved!

• Like 3

My DH was employed by a small church once. The paycheck was small, but okay. But then the paychecks started to be late by a few days. Then we would get the late paycheck, and it would be less than the agreed pay. Finally, we found out that the treasurer had been supplementing the paycheck himself for months already because the church had money problems. Well, okay, thank you, BUT WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY ANYTHING!!!! I guess he was embarrassed. I guess he was hoping that something would happen to turn the finances around. Something. But by the time we figured it out, it was too late to come to a joint solution and DH had to leave to find other employment. smh.

I don't know, with Christian organizations I see a lot of "well, let's all pray really hard and ask for a miracle." Well fine, but while we're at it maybe we should use our miraculous God-given brains to think of something?

Some years back, I got into a situation like that with a Christian group that offered homeschool classes.  The teachers didn't get paid or reimbursed for supplies for months. Some of us were furious and considered quitting, others said we should be kind and understanding about not getting paid. We had a signed contract with specific pay dates. I hung in there because I liked the teaching and our kids were benefiting, but it was humiliating to be expected to teach with no pay for weeks and no resolution in sight. In the end the director got fired by those higher up because several of us pursued that, and we eventually got paid.

But I told DH -- never again. If I'm not receiving full pay within 5 days of the agreed date, I'm gone as soon as I can gracefully leave. I've periodically been paid late in my work as a state community college professor and with contracts I've had with them, but they always explain why and it's never more than a few days.

If the director had been humble and open about the situation, I would have looked at it differently, but there was zero communication. It was like nothing had changed. To this day I still don't know what happened there. There never was an apology either.

Christian individuals and organizations that try to hide something like that are being very dishonest. I don't know anything about the Landry situation other than what has been posted here, but the lack of communication is very troubling and makes the situation even worse.

Edited by G5052
  • Like 7

We've received a second email from my daughter's English teacher offering the second semester of her class at only $150 with her own newly established "school." And we've received a second email advertising classes available with a different group of teachers (all names I'm familiar with from Landry) for $160/each class. One was my daughter's English teacher from last year. I know one of the German teachers was also in that mix.

We really need to get some answers next week, how do they expect us to figure out classes for our kids in only one week?. My girls have been having such a great school year- I can't believe this is all happening. I had no idea that I might spend my holiday break scrambling to find my children classes for school.

Uggghhhhhhh!!!!!

• Like 5

We've received a second email from my daughter's English teacher offering the second semester of her class at only $150 with her own newly established "school." And we've received a second email advertising classes available with a different group of teachers (all names I'm familiar with from Landry) for $160/each class. One was my daughter's English teacher from last year. I know one of the German teachers was also in that mix.

We really need to get some answers next week, how do they expect us to figure out classes for our kids in only one week?. My girls have been having such a great school year- I can't believe this is all happening. I had no idea that I might spend my holiday break scrambling to find my children classes for school.

Uggghhhhhhh!!!!!

It sounds like the teachers are getting together and trying to serve their students but still get reimbursed for their time.  That's a positive development.  If they can pull it together, it may be a good solution for some (not all) of their students, at least the ones who can afford to pay what sounds like a fair rate under the circumstances.  That's a positive development that may put some minds at rest this holiday season.  

Of course, it doesn't address those folks who have pre-paid for future classes.

• Like 5

Thanks for this thread. Now I finally understand why my son's science teacher who developed the course is no longer teaching his class. He has been replaced with a woman who has an education and psychology degree from Bible school. There wasn't even any notice given to us about the change. I jus happened to notice the welcome to Mrs. So-and-so's earth science class announcement on the website.

I think I will contact the original instructor because he was really the only reason we signed up to take this course.

• Like 1

Would it be helpful to have a list of classes or teachers that aren't returning? We haven't heard from most of our teachers, but most haven't graded for the end of semester either. I'm concerned.

The list I see in the "new school" are Landry teachers that left prior to fall semester. We were signed up with one. That gives more credit to something happening this last summer where the teachers are now employees versus independents. We had quite a few teachers we were signed up with leave right before school started, and class schedules changed at the last minute.

Edited by melmichigan
  • Like 2

DD had her stuff graded through the end of the semester for Chemistry with Childress. I didn't get an end of semester note from her, but I would assume she's returning.

If people could chime in if they know their teacher(s) are or aren't returning, that would be helpful for some! (Although I'd be worried about teachers with little/no experience taking over classes, I find it reassuring that they are finding some replacements - as evidenced by the earth science change.)

• Like 2

DD had her stuff graded through the end of the semester for Chemistry with Childress. I didn't get an end of semester note from her, but I would assume she's returning.

If people could chime in if they know their teacher(s) are or aren't returning, that would be helpful for some! (Although I'd be worried about teachers with little/no experience taking over classes, I find it reassuring that they are finding some replacements - as evidenced by the earth science change.)

The only reason I knew that anything was wrong was that our English teacher sent out an email to us on the 23rd of December. She explained that she was leaving immediately due to the fact that Landry had not paid her in November and then her next paycheck was only 20% of the agreed upon amount. She stated that Landry Academy had not had any communication with her at all. We have not heard from any other instructors and plan to email them tomorrow.

I'm hoping and praying this isn't widespread and my sons' school year isn't totally ruined. 

:confused1:  :thumbdown:

• Like 1

Mrs Keeter from German has left.

She too was a last minute replacement back in the fall, we chose a very specific Teacher that we were very excited about, registered and paid and then the week before classes recieved a notice that she would not be teaching after all.

As it turns out we really like the replacement but it still seemed wrong to do that to us with no notice.

Edited by Calming Tea
  • Like 3

We had a teacher change right before the fall semester classes started, too, and we didn't get any notice until the welcome email, but the replacement turned out to be a fabulous teacher. I was looking forward to dc taking a second semester class from a teacher that has just left, but that doesn't mean her replacement won't be an excellent teacher, too.   

• Like 1