Menu

Essentials In Writing

I'm really wanting to hear about others' experience with EIW but I have a few questions too: 

Is it easy to use and does it give clear instructions as to how to complete the assignments? 

Does it give enough guidance in grading your child's writing? (assume I need a lot of hand holding here :001_smile: )

Is the EIW teacher good at modelling the writing process? 

Edited by morningcoffee

Very easy to use, yep.

Guidance in grading writing, not so much, BUT- they have a new "EIW will grade it" feature (haven't used that though).

Teacher very good at modeling, IMO.

We didn't teach any writing till grade 8, did it alone. Grade 9 used EIW 8 book. Grade 10 used EIW grade 9 book teaching ds & his friend.

Kids can follow along just fine, I only helped them with outlines & re writes.

End of Grade 10 did a Bravewriter online essay class, that was excellent for instruction & feedback.

Grade 11 more BW.

EIW was a great intro, but I loved the feedback from BW :)

• Like 3

Yes, Essentials is very easy to use. You show a short video (usually around 5 minutes, give or take) which talks about one aspect of writing, and then the student practices that one concept that day. 

We've used levels 7-11, and they all have the same basic format--they start with several lessons on sentences, then paragraphs, then essays. 

For grading, they give you a rubric for paragraphs and essays, but you still have to decide how to apply the rubric. The lessons include "good" examples and "poor" examples for the student, which helps a lot in trying to decide how well the student followed the guidelines.

With regard to modeling, yes, I felt the instructor did an excellent job. He shows not only how to write, but also models mistakes and changing one's mind, erasing and rewriting--it was just the kind of thing my son needed to see.

Here's a review I wrote when my oldest did Level 7 in 9th grade (the first year it was out, and that was the highest level out at the time). I've not had those sound issues again, so I think they fixed that. Great program for us. 

• Like 3

we started using EIW after failing at several other programs...and we LOVE it.  It is very easy to do and follow.  My kids basically do it on their own...and the company is great to answer any questions you might have. 

We had the same experiences!  We've never found a writing curriculum that we've been actually able to complete, especially without constant complaining!  I talked to someone from the company at length and they were very helpful.  We also started using Excellence in Literature.  My dd wants to do everything independently, if possible, so both of these courses have made it easy for us.

• Like 1

We had the same experiences! We've never found a writing curriculum that we've been actually able to complete, especially without constant complaining! I talked to someone from the company at length and they were very helpful. We also started using Excellence in Literature. My dd wants to do everything independently, if possible, so both of these courses have made it easy for us.

is their Lit anything like Window to the World or Teaching the classics. We are doing those next semester after an epic Illuminating Lit first semester fail. WTW looks great/intense from where we came.

Also, do they include writing assignments with the Lit or only with Comp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

is their Lit anything like Window to the World or Teaching the classics. We are doing those next semester after an epic Illuminating Lit first semester fail. WTW looks great/intense from where we came.

Also, do they include writing assignments with the Lit or only with Comp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EIL so far isn't what I would call intense.  It's perfect for my dd, because it was a great intro. to analyzing lit., and the person I spoke with at EIW said using their writing & lit. course would count as her full credit for 9th grade (even though it's level 8) but level 8 of the lit. at least isn't super rigorous.  We'll see how it is next year.  They suggested having her possibly skip 9 & move on to 10, so I'll have to see.

• Like 2

I'm really wanting to hear about others' experience with EIW but I have a few questions too: 

1: Is it easy to use and does it give clear instructions as to how to complete the assignments? 

2: Does it give enough guidance in grading your child's writing? (assume I need a lot of hand holding here :001_smile: )

3: Is the EIW teacher good at modelling the writing process? 

1:  Yes to both.  So easy to use.  My dd worked through a EiW course, about, 95% independently during 2016.  Her writing acumen had improved so much by the end of the year.  I was very impressed!

2:  The grading is very easy to do.   (I need hand holding when it comes to marking English assignments.)

3:  Matthew Stevens is very skilled at modelling the writing process.  One of the big draws, for me, to use EIW was his very natural, relaxed, teaching style.  He doesn't come across as if he's performing a writing 'lecture' - sans The Great Courses presentations.

Both DC have enjoyed being taught by him.

DS 17 has used EiW 9-11 and is working through level 12 this year.  

For any NZ-ers who may read this: EiW definitely helped prepare him for the course work he needed to complete in NCEA English; however,  we really should have added some NCEA practice, the year before he started English 2, and then he would have been more fully prepared.

DD 15 has used EiW 8, and EiL 8.  Both have been a success.  She's about to start EiW 10, because she can easily do the work required, and EiL 9 alongside selections from Greenleaf Guide Medieval Lit (since level 10 in EiL is not available right now)

All the best, as you research to find something that will work for you and your students.

Edited by Tuesdays Child
  • Like 3

• 9 months later...

​​So, I was able to purchase level 12 of EIW at a really great price. I started watching the DVD with dd14 and she and I both like the looks of it. Could someone tell me what the difference between the levels 9-12 are? I think I might be able to just use level 12 to know what dd should be able to do before she graduates and move through it slowly if we need to. Maybe after getting through paragraph writing focus on one two to types of essays to master a year. Never done much formal writing, but she does have a knack for it. 

Thanks for the help!

Debbie

Levels 9 and 10 are much more incremental than levels 11 and 12. They are more or less geared towards students in those grades, so they expect 9th and 10th graders to need more instruction than upper classmen. Also, I didn't use all of Level 12, but Level 11 is the first one with a Literary-analysis type of paper in it, and it was the first time I felt something wasn't explained very well. (They gave an example of one type, but if your student wants to focus on a different aspect of literary analysis, you might have some unanswered questions. We would have benefited from reading concrete examples for each of the suggested papers). 

Each level does include a lot of the same basics, but will use different examples, differing levels of instruction, and sometimes the types of essays will vary. HTH some!

• Like 1