Menu

Letter Confusion

shand21

I've been using the All About Reading Pre-Reading program with my 4yo. We've gone through the first section on capital letters and she was doing awesome. Then, as we hit the last five or so letters, she's suddenly getting mixed up (I/Y, W/M/N, U/Q). It's understandable since the letters have a visual or audible similarity. Any tips on helping her remember them? She's very determined to move on to lowercase but I don't wan't to rush into it before she has a firm grasp on uppercase.

Here are some additional activities you can do to work on letter recognition. You may want to slow down the overall progress just a bit and reinforce letters more as you go--if she's mixing up capitals, small letters are even easier to confuse. Doing some "letter of the day" type of activities for a couple of days on some tricky letters can help. Have fun!

• Like 1

I would move on to lowercase. In fact, I would have started with lowercase - that's the type of letter we see and use most often. But yes, go slow. She's only four, there is absolutely no need to rush! (When it comes to reading, there is never a need to rush. Slow and steady.)

I would move on to lowercase. In fact, I would have started with lowercase - that's the type of letter we see and use most often. But yes, go slow. She's only four, there is absolutely no need to rush! (When it comes to reading, there is never a need to rush. Slow and steady.)

AAR Pre-reading actually starts with capitals on purpose because there is a much lower frequency of reversals among those letters. But, it's not like it takes that long to move on to small letters. I agree, slow and steady is best :-).

Thanks everyone! We've moved onto lowercase (she's more excited about learning them than she was uppercase). I'm continuing to review them using flashcards and an upper/lowercase magnet set she got for Christmas (took forever to find. Most only have capital letters.) Taking it one day at a time and she'll get it when she get's it. On the bright side, since we added the magnets, my 3yo son who can barely talk due to a speech problem has started to pick a few here and there to say either the name or sound. Gotta say, family learning at its best!

• Like 3