Menu

4 year old accelerated reader- don't know what to do next!

kaitneel

My daughter is 4 (almost 5) and is reading maybe at a 3rd grade level. We used AAR level 1 to make sure we had a strong foundation and the regular practice was great but it was very easy and she flew through it in about 3 months. We've taken 2 months off and I've just had her read out loud to me most days. She's reading 2nd grade books with me but they're not challenging her (Arnold Lobel I can read books, Zach's Alligator, Josefina's Story Quilt). Older grade books don't hold her attention and they're too long and she doesn't really care to read them. I already have AAR level 2 but I just did the placement test and she placed halfway through level 4. Although she has not memorized what all the phonemes say individually, she can sound them all out in words. Do I go through the levels so she memorizes what they say out of context (sounds like a kill joy to me), do I move on to level 3 or 4, or do I do something different all together? 

I would get a stack of picture books from the library and let her read them. They are short and have pictures, but the reading level is higher. And most of all, the books are fun.

I don't know anything about AAR, it came out after my kids were reading well, but use any program as long as it is working and then stop.

• Like 7

My daughter is 4 (almost 5) and is reading maybe at a 3rd grade level. We used AAR level 1 to make sure we had a strong foundation and the regular practice was great but it was very easy and she flew through it in about 3 months. We've taken 2 months off and I've just had her read out loud to me most days. She's reading 2nd grade books with me but they're not challenging her (Arnold Lobel I can read books, Zach's Alligator, Josefina's Story Quilt). Older grade books don't hold her attention and they're too long and she doesn't really care to read them. I already have AAR level 2 but I just did the placement test and she placed halfway through level 4. Although she has not memorized what all the phonemes say individually, she can sound them all out in words. Do I go through the levels so she memorizes what they say out of context (sounds like a kill joy to me), do I move on to level 3 or 4, or do I do something different all together? 

I'd just have her read aloud to you at this point and point out the phonics in certain words. Personally, I did not do a phonics program with mine who read early and well. I only hit it in context and then reinforced in spelling.

Some books that held their attention well at that level  - the Littles, Boxcar Children, the American Girl series, Magic Tree House, Henry and Mudge (I think there's a girlie one now), Poppleton. If these are a little long, maybe you could do 1 chapter her reading and 1 chapter you reading. 

Does she listen to upper level books well? One of my early readers liked her own copies to follow along while I read aloud for a while.

• Like 1

+1 to picture books. There are a lot of great picture books out there with engaging stories and high vocab. Through searching old threads I found stories from William Steig and Bill Peet. I've started using Goodreads.com to log his books and they have great suggestions for the next ones. Some libraries even have sections for picture books for older readers.

My 6 year old hasn't graduated to chapter books yet, but finally picked up a magic tree house that had an intriguing title. Woo hoo. The chapters are super short.

I also go through the easy reader section at my library to find the level 4s.

Sent from my U9200 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I will also tell you to stick with picture books. They're age appropriate, unlike most chapter books that are at her reading level.

Do you want a list of recommended books? I can't make promises - right now, my brain is still a bit eaten from NYC high school applications - but I do enjoy doing that when I can get my act together :)

I have an almost 5 year old in the same place and I also second picture books :).  We're going to give a short chapter book a try soon...possibly Nate the Great or a Magic Treehouse book.  I found the "Mensa for Kids: reading list to be a good place to move to after graduating from the "I Can Read" type books :).

http://www.mensaforkids.org/achieve/excellence-in-reading/excellence-in-reading-k-3-list/

I love that mensa for kids book list, thank you!

Okay so it sounds like I'm going to go the picture book route. I'm dying a little on the inside not teaching phonics but I will manage. Like someone suggested, I can come back around when I start with spelling. Thank you! 

My first early reader (now 8) didn't pick up on phonics until he started doing spelling at 6, and he had absolutely no issue with learning it then.  

My second early reader (now 4) has learned phonics and is a master at sounding out words, though her reading level is not nearly as advanced as her whole-word brother was at this age.  

Neither approach is right or wrong, and actually we couldn't change how they chose to approach reading in any case.  I am strongly in favor of picture books because there are plenty of ones with sophisticated reading and age-appropriate stories.  However, I'm also not against chapter books and some longer books too.  The Littles series is great, and he really enjoyed the Geronimo Stilton series (both the chapter books and the graphic novels).  We don't homeschool, so feel free to take this with a grain of salt, but I'd stop worrying about TEACHING reading as a curriculum and just let her continue to read as much as she wants for now.  

Also, keep reading TO her.  There is benefit to that as well, and you can explore some books that you enjoy.  I hope that it's a family tradition that we will keep up for a long time still. 

Edited by ThoughtfulMama

Oh yes, Geronimo Stilton was incredibly fun for DD! She still picks them up (there seem to be hundreds of them) for fun reading.

I'm also remembering the Brambly Hedge series, which she read at that age. Such sweet books, at a reasonably easy reading level (I'd guess similar to ER 3's), very appropriate for a 4 year old.

My daughter really enjoyed the Greetings from Somewhere series as well as the Judy Moody books if you are looking for birdges between picture books and chapter books.  But honestly, despite the fact that DD can read more complex books, she sometimes just wants to read silly rhyming picture books. I think she also struggles with the visual aspect of it--a lot of small text on a page seems to bug her eyes, which naturally limits some of her reading.

I do try to encourage more complicated reading by strewing around books that are likely to be interesting that are a higher reading level.  

My daughter really enjoyed the Greetings from Somewhere series as well as the Judy Moody books if you are looking for birdges between picture books and chapter books.  But honestly, despite the fact that DD can read more complex books, she sometimes just wants to read silly rhyming picture books. I think she also struggles with the visual aspect of it--a lot of small text on a page seems to bug her eyes, which naturally limits some of her reading.

I do try to encourage more complicated reading by strewing around books that are likely to be interesting that are a higher reading level.  

Yes, my DD had the same issue with small text at that age. That's why the Branches books (I think I suggested them on your x-post on the K-8 page) are so wonderful, as is the Brambly Hedge series I mentioned above. They intersperse text with a lot of pictures, and the stories are very high-interest for younger kids.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the picture books, but also what about science and history books.  

Look at some of the series like Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science (started by Frank Branley, but include many topics and authors) or the Smithsonian series (many by the incredible Seymour Simon) or the Magic School Bus series (the ones from the TV series are easier reading than the originals).  I loved the books by Jacqui Bailey also.

I'm not a history expert but mine enjoyed the short Magic School Bus history series, some of the Usborne books and the Good Times Travel Agency series by Linda Bailey.

• 2 weeks later...

We went through phonics even though my kids were reading. I figure 10 minutes a day of anything isn't going to kill them  :laugh:

I'm not familiar with AAR, but white boards and colorful markers were pure magic for my kids. If there's any writing to do, have her do it on a white board to increase engagement. 

If you own the other levels of AAR, use that. If not, use whatever is cheap or free and looks engaging. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My oldest read at a 3rd grade level at 5yrs.. I agree also with letting her read real books. There are LOTS of choices at the library. Sonlight has suggestions for Grades 2, 3, & 4/5 readers. Look at their A, B, C & D cores for good ideas for History, science, and biography readers too. Another choice, if it is agreeable to your family, is to have her start reading Bible stories out of a child's easy reader Bible or select parts of the Old & New Testaments. The NIVR version is written about at a 3rd/4th gr. level, but it will challenge her. R&S Bible readers really pushed my daughter's vocab.. Their only downside was lack of pictures and a few stories she may not be emotionally ready for in the higher readers. I just skipped over them. I also agree about not skipping that 10 minute phonics lesson everyday. If you skip the more advanced phonics lessons, she will get stuck once she doesn't have the decoding skills. Keep it fun and simple- someone suggested games. Don't push the writing or spelling until she seems ready. Those skills lag behind the reading a little. The Well Trained Mind suggests not starting spelling until the child has finish about half of their recommended phonics course. Let her love her books! Happy Reading! :hurray: 

Another vote to just let her read age-appropriate picture books and non-fiction books that hold her interest.   Don't push her to longer full-length chapter books just yet, because you'll run out of content.   

One of my kids was reading Magic Tree House books at age 4.   We started making trips to the library about every 2 weeks and brought home a stack of books, and we still bring home 20+ books about once a month now, in addition to school books and Kindle books.   

Our library had a fantastic "early reader" section, separate from the picture books, where we found a lot of great books at that age.   They were mostly shorter chapter books or leveled readers, but my kids loved them.

Another vote to just let her read age-appropriate picture books and non-fiction books that hold her interest. Don't push her to longer full-length chapter books just yet, because you'll run out of content.

One of my kids was reading Magic Tree House books at age 4. We started making trips to the library about every 2 weeks and brought home a stack of books, and we still bring home 20+ books about once a month now, in addition to school books and Kindle books.

Our library had a fantastic "early reader" section, separate from the picture books, where we found a lot of great books at that age. They were mostly shorter chapter books or leveled readers, but my kids loved them.

Great ideas, thank you! And no I don't have any nature study ideas.... it was just while I was writing this and I started thinking, "hmm, I should start doing that!" Haha! So I'm open to suggestion!

Phonics to a 12th grade level, free to print:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/WellTaughtPhonicsStudent.html

My daughter was reading above grade level from early on, I used Webster with her and got her to a 12th grade level very early.  But, we stuck with picture books when she was young.  Just because a child CAN read War and Peace does not mean they are interested in or SHOULD read War and Peace.